C63 or C63S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C63 Coupe
C63 or C63S

Hi all

Ok, so I have made my mind up on spec, but now having an issue with deciding on whether to get the standard C63 coupe or 'S' model.

I have no intention of taking the car on a track, nor do I plan on needing the additional 40 BHP or electronic diff.

So my questions are:

1) Does the car sound any different as this will be a big deciding point for me in choosing (the UK coupe has the sports exhaust as standard).
2) Does anyone foresee a larger depreciation in the standard model to the 'S', as everyone on here seems to only discuss the 'S' and I feel as I'm alone with choosing a car that has a mere 476bhp.

The difference in price between standard and 'S' is £7,000, which is roughly $10,000.

Thanks for responses in advance!
Old 10-31-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JBs C63 PP( wifes car ), Mc Laren Pxx(toy), 2013 Mustang GT 5.0 ( DD ), ML 6.3 ( winter DD )...
C63 S

Would definately recommend the C63 S. My god a beast, little more $$$ but worth every penny.

One of the best and for me balanced cars Mercedes ever produced❗️❤️

I can't forsee but looking over the older models, depreciation will hit and probably, at the very end lead to an even price for both models.

As for sound...the S in aggressive-kick-*** mode really sounded better 🙈

Last edited by vsix; 10-31-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
MG PB, MG Midget, Triumph TR4, Morgan 4/4, Mustang, Audi R8
For me, I would hate myself for not buying the most car I can reasonably afford, but in reality the vast majority of these cars will never be driven anywhere close to their limits. If you're not inclined to "mat it" whenever circumstances allow, and you're not driven by ego, the non S is probably a better deal.

Full disclosure, I have the S on order.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
I have a non-S, as that was what was on the forecourt and was being offered at a very tempting price when I came to buy. I've piloted some quick stuff in my time (R1, 650s, Zivko Edge), and the C63 non-S is still a very, very quick car. Plus it can be remapped to much higher power! Best advice is to drive both. You certainly won't feel shortchanged with either.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 131 Likes on 117 Posts
2021 C63S coupe
You are /will not be alone.

I have a base C 63 coupe on order.

They sound the same and will drive the same for most of the time.
Its the top end or track use that will differentiate them, even then the base 63 in the hands of a skilled driver will have no problem keeping up with an S.

I couldn't tell the difference between a mechanical and an electronic LSD or active engine mounts versus fixed.
I spent the money on extras which I will use everyday.

My spec :

selenite
premium pack
performance seats
19/20 Matt bkack
driver assistance
360 camera
Black ash trim
air balance
night pack

no HUD available otherwise I would have added it

However if you don't mind spending 7K extra for the S then
thats all good 😊

Last edited by Uga Uga; 10-31-2016 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
I went the Non-S sedan. I realized I'm never going to track it and I really likes the 18 inch wheel design. So that helped me go for the non-S. With the money I saved, I optioned up with package 4, parking package, HUD and performance exhaust. End of the day, it's a car that will fit my needs the best!
Old 10-31-2016, 10:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Lets face it. This car, coupe or sedan.. IS an ego thing. Otherwise we'd all be 'hooning' in Honda Civics.

Thus, a S model is the way to go, if you can swing it. You might not be tracking it, you might not ever drive it above 70% of it's capabilities.. but that's not entirely the point. If you can afford it, no point in trying to justify getting the non-S.

Resale-wise, the S will always be worth more than the non-S. It's a badge; the non-AMG initiate will only see that and know that it's, for better or worse, better. All the options in the world won't make it a S.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:10 PM

2021 C63S coupe
It's called 'choice' mate. and my sticker price was more than an S.
So it's not the badge I'm after. It's what I'm happy with.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by vaelin
Lets face it. This car, coupe or sedan.. IS an ego thing. Otherwise we'd all be 'hooning' in Honda Civics.

Thus, a S model is the way to go, if you can swing it. You might not be tracking it, you might not ever drive it above 70% of it's capabilities.. but that's not entirely the point. If you can afford it, no point in trying to justify getting the non-S.

Resale-wise, the S will always be worth more than the non-S. It's a badge; the non-AMG initiate will only see that and know that it's, for better or worse, better. All the options in the world won't make it a S.
+1 haha

In OZ we only get the S version, so we don't really have a choice.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S

That
Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
S all the way !
Old 11-01-2016, 03:40 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
You are /will not be alone...
https://youtu.be/jaRCHvdKlL0
Looks like we are, ha ha!
Old 11-01-2016, 03:45 AM

W205 C63 AMG

Most of the general public will not know the difference between a C220d and a C63, and with cheap credit everyone and their dog has an executive brand, so the ego thing—although partly true—doesn't ring so much with me as you're suggesting.

The question for me was, 'Do I want to pay that much more money for a remap, some other bits I'm not talented enough/shouldn't be able to tell the difference between on the public road, and a little 'S' badge?'

For me, the answer was no. In all honesty, I think the C63 badge is cleaner with the the 'S'!
Old 11-01-2016, 04:33 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 Wagon
It's only a $10 upgrade to the S model
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...532906932.html
Old 11-01-2016, 05:39 AM

C63

its a choice between a C63 and C63s, not a C300 vs C63s. No idea why you bought a Honda Civic into the discussion. The extra items on the S really help you to track it. I'm not going to do that. I will keep this car for a very long time so really don't care about resale. But if I was going to, a fully spec'D non-S would be better to most people than a non-loaded S.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:40 AM

2021 C63S coupe
Originally Posted by MarkC63
It's only a $10 upgrade to the S model
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...532906932.html
hahahaha I better order one
Old 11-01-2016, 05:53 AM

2021 C63S coupe
Originally Posted by Andyroo
Looks like we are, ha ha!
You may be surprised. it seems a lot of base C63 owners are not as active on forums.

check out the attachment showing MB's position on supply of the C63 base engine.
Attached Thumbnails C63 or C63S-image003.jpg  

Last edited by Uga Uga; 11-01-2016 at 05:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Andyroo (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 06:08 AM

2021 C63S coupe

Hahaha

There IS no ego thing involved in my purchase. I do not need to, nor am I attempting to justify my purchase to anyone. I am paying for what I want.

And of course the resale value, which I have no care for will be higher for the S it cost more did it not?

Thanks for your post anyway. My final post on the matter, which I will leave to rest.

Last edited by Uga Uga; 11-01-2016 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:54 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
Hahaha

There IS no ego thing involved in my purchase. I do not need to, nor am I attempting to justify my purchase to anyone. I am paying for what I want.

And of course the resale value, which I have no care for will be higher for the S it cost more did it not?

Thanks for your post anyway. My final post on the matter, which I will leave to rest.

If I was buying for ego, I wouldn't have gone to a C63S but stepped up to the AMG GT!!

Uga Uga (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:09 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Aussie Joe
its a choice between a C63 and C63s, not a C300 vs C63s. No idea why you bought a Honda Civic into the discussion. The extra items on the S really help you to track it. I'm not going to do that. I will keep this car for a very long time so really don't care about resale. But if I was going to, a fully spec'D non-S would be better to most people than a non-loaded S.
Brought the Civic into the discussion to make a point.

If you're into performance, into luxury, that in itself is an ego thing. I deserve to be coddled, I deserve to have a V8, etc. Otherwise, as a people mover, the Civic is a perfectly good mode of transportation. Thus, to whatever degree you or anyone else in this forum may say they aren't influenced by ego, it's there.

I tend to disagree that the e.diff is only for track purposes. Any type of spirited driving, and/or traction challenged situation, the e.diff can be the difference between grins while exiting a corner.. or the wall. I daily drive my C, and there are nice sweeper highway on-ramps that unfortunately, have crappy road surfaces. Enjoying that little bit of the commute on a daily basis is worth it to me.

Resale-wise, someone else asked the question, I was merely responding to that. I intend on keeping my C for a very long time, so yeah, resale won't really matter. Especially since I've already put 15k miles on it in 9 months.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:16 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Aussie Joe

If I was buying for ego, I wouldn't have gone to a C63S but stepped up to the AMG GT!!

Within your means. My first post clearly stated 'if you can swing it'.

In the end, buy what makes you happy. Which in turn, is ego. Which in turn, if it's not a happiness/ego thing, then the Civic is perfectly fine.

As for the resale question, that was to answer the OP, who's second question was clearly asking about resale.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Not sure how you're planning to finance the car but if it's PCP, you might ask to see the monthly payments on both models (assuming cost is a factor in your decision).

I originally priced up a non-s and there wasn't too much difference going to the s. The residual is stronger on the s so the increase in monthly payment may not be as big as you think...
oajr (12-13-2017)
Old 11-01-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C63 S & SL550
My local dealer had the C63 S and Non S in stock. Drove both but bought the C63 S version. Seemed a bit more punchy to me and sounded better ... but that may be in my head! Given the 10k difference between the two, it wasn't an easy choice. But in the end, I thought of resale later, desirability, the S had the race seats and few other goodies that I wanted.

Either way, they are both great cars. You have to go with what works for you. In the end, I thought the 63 S was the better option ... and with interest rates being what they are, it wasn't that much of a difference when you consider everything.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
I am not sure how it works in other countries with packages and add on's. but i built identical cars one the MBUSA. One was an S and the other was a non S. the way is is structured here in the USA depending on your choices on the build the diff in price can be around 5k.
For instance the black forged wheels are a much less on the S version since 19" is standard.
oajr (12-13-2017)
Old 11-01-2016, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63 4.0
I went for the non S "Sedan" loaded with extras including the performance seats and 19" Multispoke wheels. I've driven both around the handling circuit at MB World and both cars have far more capability and power than you'll ever use on U.K. Roads. I'm certain both coupe versions will be amazing. No regrets here but try both before you buy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.