Exhaust mods on C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Exhaust mods on C63

Hi all,

Thinking about some cheap exhaust mods to try out the sound, and there's two options I'm currently considering:

- Secondary cat delete
- Axle back straight through

The first option requires some butchery, which I'm not sure about. In the UK the secondary cat still has to be present to pass emissions test, so that means gutting the original (very expensive to reverse) or replacing it with a dummy (still means cutting up pipe).

The second option is easily reversible as the stock exhaust has connectors at the axle, and is simply two pipes with hangers fabricated and swapped.

From the little I've seen, I prefer the sound of the secondary cat removal—more raspy and euro-V8 sounding—but the axle back is completely reversible.

So my question is, has anyone done either of those mods? What do you think of them? How does the sound compare to stock?

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
I'm sort of on the same track, however I doubt I will be throwing in downpipes. i'm only looking for an aftermarket exhaust system that will add more goosebumps to those nearby

check out my thread "exhaust systems for the sedan", some guys on here shared their thoughts
The following users liked this post:
Andyroo (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 06:01 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SBH-
I'm sort of on the same track, however I doubt I will be throwing in downpipes. i'm only looking for an aftermarket exhaust system that will add more goosebumps to those nearby

check out my thread "exhaust systems for the sedan", some guys on here shared their thoughts
Thanks! Have you considered axle back straight pipes at all or seen/heard any good examples of anyone who has done them?
Old 11-06-2016, 06:04 AM

C63S 2016
well what I was told by one of our friends on here that axle backs will require shorter pipes , that's what I understood. you pay more for less parts I guess.

I'll look it up and post exactly what he said on here.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:05 AM

W205 C63 AMG
well what I was told by one of our friends on here that axle backs will require shorter pipes , that's what I understood. you pay more for less parts I guess.

I'll look it up and post exactly what he said on here.
I guess I could just take the rear pipes off and that would give me an idea of what a straight pipe from axle back would sound like
Old 11-06-2016, 06:09 AM

C63S 2016
Originally Posted by bgm130
I have no issues with the sound of eisenmann. JPMs from what i have heard sounds great.
My comment was related to the system being axle back vs cat back. so you are getting less for more $$. AWE and others come with the entire mid pipe and a 3rd valve.
i have added a picture the stuff in RED is the mid pipe which is not included with an Axle back. the green is all you would be getting.
once again i have no idea how much difference it makes, but the mid pip on aftermarket is a large diameter so usually that is a deeper sound.

I just wanted to provide as much info as possible from what i know.

My vote would be for AWE as its the best i have heard in person so far.

Green is Axle back
Red is CAT BACk

aftermarket on left. bigger diameter piping
that's what I was told.
Andyroo (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
https://mbworld.org/forums/c43-amg-c...ml#post6913867

I think there is someone in the U.K. That is running straight pipes as you mention(added link above) Basically had a custom made pipe from the axels back. The only issue with that is if you have the perf exhaust (with button). If the valves are removed it will throw the car into limp mode. If you search the torqueflow facebook you can hear what it will sound like if you go with the axel back straightpipe.
Andyroo (11-06-2016)
Old 11-06-2016, 03:01 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by bgm130
https://mbworld.org/forums/c43-amg-c...ml#post6913867

I think there is someone in the U.K. That is running straight pipes as you mention(added link above) Basically had a custom made pipe from the axels back. The only issue with that is if you have the perf exhaust (with button). If the valves are removed it will throw the car into limp mode. If you search the torqueflow facebook you can hear what it will sound like if you go with the axel back straightpipe.
That's great! I have the non perf exhaust so that should work fine.

Here's the video of the axle back straight pipes should anyone want to hear it: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...30478160311812
Old 11-06-2016, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
2015 E63S, 2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Andyroo
That's great! I have the non perf exhaust so that should work fine.

Here's the video of the axle back straight pipes should anyone want to hear it: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...30478160311812
Was there anything else done to the that car in the video?
Old 11-06-2016, 04:23 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Hammer Down
Was there anything else done to the that car in the video?
Not that I'm aware of!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
I'm on the same boat!

Not sure which way to go...
Old 11-07-2016, 01:19 AM

C63S 2016
you see what I know is that when you have DPs installed you'll have to tune it again, and I'm not willing to step there ..
Old 11-07-2016, 01:20 AM

C63S 2016
anyway, is it only Eisenmann that's an axle back ? most of the exhausts systems I found online were catbacks or a full exhaust excluding the DP?
Old 11-07-2016, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
anyway, is it only Eisenmann that's an axle back ? most of the exhausts systems I found online were catbacks or a full exhaust excluding the DP?
As far as I'm aware!
Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 AM

C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Sanch
As far as I'm aware!
same here. if it wasn't for JPBenz I would've not considered Eisenmann but his Merc got me thinking it over
Old 11-07-2016, 01:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
same here. if it wasn't for JPBenz I would've not considered Eisenmann but his Merc got me thinking it over
Haha same... I hadn't heard of the brand before lol
Old 11-07-2016, 01:40 AM

C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Sanch
Haha same... I hadn't heard of the brand before lol
renntech's system is sick, imo !
Old 11-07-2016, 02:01 AM

W205 C63 AMG
you see what I know is that when you have DPs installed you'll have to tune it again, and I'm not willing to step there ..
Im sure you could get some axle back pipes made up with the valve motors attached but doing nothing, just to keep the ecu happy!
Old 08-24-2019, 02:59 AM

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts
C63S
Was quoted £500 for axle back pipes, fully fitted. However, my main concern was drone.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG W205 Estate
Hi all,

Thinking about some cheap exhaust mods to try out the sound, and there's two options I'm currently considering:

- Secondary cat delete
- Axle back straight through

The first option requires some butchery, which I'm not sure about. In the UK the secondary cat still has to be present to pass emissions test, so that means gutting the original (very expensive to reverse) or replacing it with a dummy (still means cutting up pipe).

The second option is easily reversible as the stock exhaust has connectors at the axle, and is simply two pipes with hangers fabricated and swapped.

From the little I've seen, I prefer the sound of the secondary cat removal—more raspy and euro-V8 sounding—but the axle back is completely reversible.

So my question is, has anyone done either of those mods? What do you think of them? How does the sound compare to stock?

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Im new to the forum and very interested in having my C63 Estate Exhaust Changed with taking the Secondary Cats out.

Im am based in the UK could you drop me a message where you had your Cats Removed as I find it hard to trust certain shops carry out the work.

Kind Regards
Old 09-17-2020, 02:02 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG6
Hi Andrew,

Im new to the forum and very interested in having my C63 Estate Exhaust Changed with taking the Secondary Cats out.

Im am based in the UK could you drop me a message where you had your Cats Removed as I find it hard to trust certain shops carry out the work.

Kind Regards

I had the work done at Fast Road Conversions in Ashford, Kent. They said it was quite a fiddly job. Sounded perfect though. No done, more like NA sound.
AMG6 (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 02:08 PM

C63 AMG W205 Estate
I had the work done at Fast Road Conversions in Ashford, Kent. They said it was quite a fiddly job. Sounded perfect though. No done, more like NA sound.
Thanks very much for the reply.

You have just reminded me the name of the Fab Shop, They removed my Secondary Cats on my W204!

I am Based in Kent and just looking for that bit of Extra Volume. I had the Engine Update carried out today on my W205 Estate Without PE and it made a difference to the Exhaust sound in Sport +

Do you happen to have any Videos of the sound? I would hate to loose the AMG Bark.

Cheers

Old 09-17-2020, 02:34 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Thanks very much for the reply.

You have just reminded me the name of the Fab Shop, They removed my Secondary Cats on my W204!

I am Based in Kent and just looking for that bit of Extra Volume. I had the Engine Update carried out today on my W205 Estate Without PE and it made a difference to the Exhaust sound in Sport +

Do you happen to have any Videos of the sound? I would hate to loose the AMG Bark.

Cheers
i dont have a video, but i can assure you the sound becomes harder edged and closer to the W204 sound. Its clearer and the bark is more pronounced. It’s also louder, but at motorway speeds it’s a nice quiet note and not a drone.
AMG6 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-19-2020, 05:55 AM

C63 AMG W205 Estate
i dont have a video, but i can assure you the sound becomes harder edged and closer to the W204 sound. Its clearer and the bark is more pronounced. It’s also louder, but at motorway speeds it’s a nice quiet note and not a drone.
Car is all booked in.

I have two Questions for you,

When they cut the cats did they put a Flange on one end and bolt it or weld a pipe on the inside of the old pipe? A picture would be great if you have one? They have suggested to weld a flange o the pipe coming off the engine and then weld it further down? He said it’s the best way so the pipe is the same thickness throughout as some other people have had a slightly smaller pipe inserted into the old and welded both sides.

How long have you had the Secondary CAT Delete and have you experienced any issues or Problems. Cheers
Old 09-19-2020, 07:36 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Car is all booked in.

I have two Questions for you,

When they cut the cats did they put a Flange on one end and bolt it or weld a pipe on the inside of the old pipe? A picture would be great if you have one? They have suggested to weld a flange o the pipe coming off the engine and then weld it further down? He said it’s the best way so the pipe is the same thickness throughout as some other people have had a slightly smaller pipe inserted into the old and welded both sides.

How long have you had the Secondary CAT Delete and have you experienced any issues or Problems. Cheers
i asked them to put a flange in to make the pipe and cats swappable, but they said there wasnt room so it was welded straight in. What you’re saying does make sense though.

i dont still have the car but i did have the mod for about a year and it was fine. First i tried back box delete which was horrible, whereas the secondary cat delete was absolutely fine and perfectly liveable. It reminds me of the fType r a bit, a nice loud sound when you gun it but non-invasive when you’re cruising.
AMG6 (09-19-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.