C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Forum from Vancouver BC ... Just ordered a C63S Designo Selenite Grey Magno

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 09:36 PM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
'2020 Ford Raptor w/ Racaros / 2018 AMG GTC / KTM Superduke 1290R
New to Forum from Vancouver BC ... Just ordered a C63S Designo Selenite Grey Magno

Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself!

I just placed my order for my first MB, a C63S in Designo Selenite Grey Magno here in Vancouver BC, got the second to last available unit for March build, will receive it in April! Apparently us Canadians do not get many of these... any other British Columbia Canada mbworld members have one, or one on order?!

I have until late December to make changes to the vehicle; any input on the Selenite Magno would be appreciated... hear it can be a pain when it comes to dents/scratches/maintenance/repair etc. True? Or just an over reaction. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-20-2016, 01:10 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
selenite grey magno

congrats in advance, do keep us posted buddy
Old 11-21-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 E350 4Matic Coupe
Coupe right? There's a black one available in Edmonton if you want a black coupe. I've seen obsidian black and selenite gray magno in person and I honestly think the black is nicer. Just imo.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by ih8slowcars
Coupe right? There's a black one available in Edmonton if you want a black coupe. I've seen obsidian black and selenite gray magno in person and I honestly think the black is nicer. Just imo.
Ya Coupe. I actually saw the selenite grey magno yesterday on an edition 1 here in Vancouver; wasn't a fan either. I called my dealer today and changed my colour to iridium silver. I think it looks great with the lines of the Coupe, and as it's going to be my daily driver, silver doesn't show scratches/dents/swirl marks/dirt/water marks like most other colours. Going with the black forged 19/20s. Black looks amazing in its first 6 months, right after a detail, in the middle of summer lol as a daily driver here in Vancouver, I would be going mental with the black paint in winter
Old 11-21-2016, 11:43 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by kck77
Ya Coupe. I actually saw the selenite grey magno yesterday on an edition 1 here in Vancouver; wasn't a fan either. I called my dealer today and changed my colour to iridium silver. I think it looks great with the lines of the Coupe, and as it's going to be my daily driver, silver doesn't show scratches/dents/swirl marks/dirt/water marks like most other colours. Going with the black forged 19/20s. Black looks amazing in its first 6 months, right after a detail, in the middle of summer lol as a daily driver here in Vancouver, I would be going mental with the black paint in winter
You can keep your black car looking mint and brand new even after 5 years with a paint protection film such as XPEL Ultimate. Best of both worlds.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Xpel may protect the paint from chips and scuffs but it will show swirls, especially on a black car.
Silver may be one of the better choices for OCD, time constrained car fans.
Keeping black "beautiful" is a vocation!
Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Xpel may protect the paint from chips and scuffs but it will show swirls, especially on a black car.
Silver may be one of the better choices for OCD, time constrained car fans.
Keeping black "beautiful" is a vocation!
That's not necessarily true. Mine still looks brand new. There is a coat of ceramic on top of it as well.

Last edited by Guilty; 11-22-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
2020 C43 sedan(hers), 2021 Porsche 992 TurboS(his)
Originally Posted by Guilty
That's not necessarily true. Mine still looks brand new. There is a coat of ceramic on top of it as well.
Guess we'll agree to respectfully disagree. I've owned several black cars, all with Xpel. Maybe it's just me, because my black cars all required MUCH more of my OCD attention to detail to maintain that gold standard of "looking brand new"!

While I do agree that black, when detailed, shiny and spotless- looks gorgeous.... I've ordered my wife a white C43 to match our white 991 TT.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
Nice.

I'm thinking of going Iridium Silver with my prospective C63S sedan order. Matte finish isn't my cup of tea either and it isn't available for the sedan anyways (at least in the US). Silver is easy to maintain, shows the curves nicely, and doesn't draw too much attention. Perfect for a daily driver!
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
Guess we'll agree to respectfully disagree. I've owned several black cars, all with Xpel. Maybe it's just me, because my black cars all required MUCH more of my OCD attention to detail to maintain that gold standard of "looking brand new"!

While I do agree that black, when detailed, shiny and spotless- looks gorgeous.... I've ordered my wife a white C43 to match our white 991 TT.

Personally, I still prefer white over black. So excellent choice. My next car will be designo white with Xpeal Stealth to give it the frozen look.

Now for the swirls on a black car, maybe I didn't have any because of the ceramic coating on top of the PPF? Either way, I loved how my front end looked compared to the rest of the car that wasn't wrapped in Xpel.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by damnitBobby
Nice.

I'm thinking of going Iridium Silver with my prospective C63S sedan order. Matte finish isn't my cup of tea either and it isn't available for the sedan anyways (at least in the US). Silver is easy to maintain, shows the curves nicely, and doesn't draw too much attention. Perfect for a daily driver!
We are on the same page. There are some pics in the Iridium Silver Picture thread of the new new C63S Coupe/Sedan we both have on order; it sealed the deal for me, especially with the black forged wheels and carbon fibre mirror/spoiler package. I have a 2012 Grand Sport Corvette in Silver right now, it still looks brand new .. was thinking a new colour would be a nice change, but honestly for someone like me who is OCD, the silver just hides everything and cleans up so well... also think it shows the lines of this car, like most, so well
Old 11-22-2016, 08:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Congrats.
Funny coincidence. I'm in Toronto. I ordered (with small down Payment) late in the summer, looking for spring (april) delivery.

Dealer told me at the time to expect to hear back sometime in winter with updates but was getting anxious and reached out last week. He confirmed it looks like I have "a march production unit with estimated delivery late April". Wonder if that's when we get a big shipment in Canada? Not really sure how it all works but if anyone can help clarify I'd really appreciate it. I really felt like I ordered it as early as possible so I won't be happy if there are issues.

And yes, I too went with silver, black wheels, performance seats and carbon interior. It's my style.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Vagabondo
Congrats.
Funny coincidence. I'm in Toronto. I ordered (with small down Payment) late in the summer, looking for spring (april) delivery.

Dealer told me at the time to expect to hear back sometime in winter with updates but was getting anxious and reached out last week. He confirmed it looks like I have "a march production unit with estimated delivery late April". Wonder if that's when we get a big shipment in Canada? Not really sure how it all works but if anyone can help clarify I'd really appreciate it. I really felt like I ordered it as early as possible so I won't be happy if there are issues.

And yes, I too went with silver, black wheels, performance seats and carbon interior. It's my style.

Nice to finally have a fellow Canadian in my boat ... My unit is also slated for March production with late April/early May delivery, but I just placed my order this past Saturday November 19 ... after reading all the threads on here regarding delays and very late deliveries, I am a little worried too. I am not into waiting till late summer/fall 2017 for delivery. The way my dealer explained it, was that my vehicle is an actual allocated unit for their dealership, that has a set build date of March 2017. Its not a "factory order". An allocated unit he says is a very for sure thing; obviously things like plant shutdown/stoppage, parts issues etc are out of everyones control. As the vehicle is already tagged for my particular dealer, changes can be made up until end of December, then its locked in as is for its build in March. Us Canadians do not get a lot of these, I was told less then 100 for all of Western Canada for 2017 model year. I know I got the second to last March build for Mercedes dealers in BC.

I have gone with the Iridium Silver, black forged wheels, premium pack, 360 camera, black with grey stripe interior with Dark ash wood, and am going to call and add on the carbon fibre mirrors and spoiler

Last edited by kck77; 11-22-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 PM

C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Thanks for sharing. Yes, my guy mentioned back when I ordered that they were waiting for allocation - showed my his screen that had me as first on the list. It was good to get some news from him this week and I'll follow up with him again to see what else he can confirm...he still didn't really confirm the allocation, just that it would likely be production in march, delivery late April.

Seems like we have a lot in common - I did 360 camera as well, and was looking for feedback on the magno paint..was actually thinking about special order for the silver magno (saw it on an s63 in person and loved it). Dealer didn't seem keen on the paint...seemed to elude to lots of complaints and expense for small scratches etc.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Vagabondo
Thanks for sharing. Yes, my guy mentioned back when I ordered that they were waiting for allocation - showed my his screen that had me as first on the list. It was good to get some news from him this week and I'll follow up with him again to see what else he can confirm...he still didn't really confirm the allocation, just that it would likely be production in march, delivery late April.

Seems like we have a lot in common - I did 360 camera as well, and was looking for feedback on the magno paint..was actually thinking about special order for the silver magno (saw it on an s63 in person and loved it). Dealer didn't seem keen on the paint...seemed to elude to lots of complaints and expense for small scratches etc.
Yup, my body guy said the same thing. I am just way to OCD to be constantly dealing with that. If this C63S were going to be a summer/fair weather driver, I would love the silver mango as well, i think it looks incredible too... but as a daily driver here on the west coast with the rain, sand/salt on the roads etc, I would just go mental with maintenance and blemishes. I saw an edition 1 on the road a few days ago on the Magno Selenite Grey and really didn't care for it; almost muted the lines and design of the car. On top of all of that, my salesman said most delays in production and delivery come with the Magno paints and interiors etc... if you decided to go with the special order Silver Magno, even more so. Could delay your build and delivery. Use the money you save from the upgraded mango paint and add some exterior CF; it really adds to the silver iridium.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:44 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by Guilty
Personally, I still prefer white over black. So excellent choice. My next car will be designo white with Xpeal Stealth to give it the frozen look.

Now for the swirls on a black car, maybe I didn't have any because of the ceramic coating on top of the PPF? Either way, I loved how my front end looked compared to the rest of the car that wasn't wrapped in Xpel.
designo diamond white FTW! best of all time
The following users liked this post:
Guilty (11-24-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:57 AM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
I don't think you should have any reservations about the Magno, matte paint. I realize it's not very common and may be more challenging for a body shop to blend in the case of a repair, but there is nothing about this paint scheme that makes it more prone to scratching.

A case can be made that it is actually easier to care for since it does not require waxing, furthermore, the paint has a very hard finish to it. Just note that you should absolutely wash by hand! There are several threads you can search in the forums about matte paint care that should spell out other's experience. I personally love it, especially how different it looks in different lighting.

Good Luck - you'll have a beautiful ride.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:16 PM

2013 GL63; 2012 S63
Just have opticoat pro put on over the matte paint and you are good to go. I've have a magno edition 1 incoming and have had a matte G63 and viper gts. If you add another layer of strong sealant then all you really have to do is spray the car down (or wipe down) with water and you are good to go. It's not cheap - typically around $750 for an entire matte vehicle (no paint correction obviously). Much easier if the vehicle is always parked in a garage as opposed to being out in the elements.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 PM

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
A Benz and a BMW
There are some incredible misconceptions about Magno Matte (MM) paint that aren't really true. A number of these claims are a result of people's experiences with early generations of matte paint, matte wraps, or just general BS found on the internet. Here are some interesting things I have learned about the Magno Matte paint.

1) Relative to regular paint, MM paint is actually quite forgiving when it comes to swirls and minor scratches - they don't show, plain and simple. This is exactly why it is easier to maintain a scratch / swirl free finish on MM paint than on black paint.

2) Light rubbing on MM paint will not cause shiny spots...unless you are trying to vigorously grinding the paint to remove a blemish, or using a polisher.

3) Exposing your MM paint to the elements is not the end of the world. You can get water marks, salt stains, bird poop on it...that's okay. Just wash the car down when you get a chance. Remember, the matte effect is in the the clear coat. Any contaminant that can eat through a regular or matte clear coat is bad for your car regardless. Also - MM doesn't show light dirt as much as most regular paint colors. You can actually get away with your car looking clean for much longer because of this.

4) The lack of washing supplies is a blessing in disguise. The most you can really do with a matte car is wash it with a ph balanced shampoo, and then spray some quick matte detailer on it if you really want to. A 30 minute hand wash and dry once every 2 weeks is more than enough in most cases. As for lasting protection, you just need to seal it every 6-9 months. Sealing in my experience with a product like Dr. Beasleys takes about half the time it takes to wax a regular finish car.

5) The Sheen - OH MY THE SHEEN! 99% of faded matte cars you see on the road are after market paint jobs or matte wraps. They can't hold a candle to true MM factory paint. MM looks like your car is wearing an expensive suit in any lighting situation.

6) 50% of the thumbs up you will receive from other drivers will be because of the paint - not the car itself.

7) Random people will have 0 respect for your property and will indeed touch your car to see if it "feels different". Don't mind the random finger print here and there.

Is it nerve-wrecking buying a car with MM paint? Heck yes. Is it rewarding? More than you can imagine.
The following 3 users liked this post by 5ilver-5urfer:
Bluetonic (11-24-2016), diewithme (11-24-2016), Genoshin (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 09:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63s coupe
Nice writeup!
Old 11-24-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
Originally Posted by kck77
Just wanted to drop in and introduce myself!

I just placed my order for my first MB, a C63S in Designo Selenite Grey Magno here in Vancouver BC, got the second to last available unit for March build, will receive it in April! Apparently us Canadians do not get many of these... any other British Columbia Canada mbworld members have one, or one on order?!

I have until late December to make changes to the vehicle; any input on the Selenite Magno would be appreciated... hear it can be a pain when it comes to dents/scratches/maintenance/repair etc. True? Or just an over reaction. Thanks in advance!
Same here KcK! Mines turning up (hopefully) in late Dec/early Jan so will post a few pictures once it arrives. You can then see what it looks like in the crappy UK winter weather.

I picked up a pre-ordered car close to shipping and Selenite Grey Magno actually wasn't my first colour choice. Since then however its grown on me and I'm now very excited to finally see it. There's only a handful of pictures I've found online and a single video that show off the colour combo I have, so I'm also a little nervous.

Silver Surfer confirmed much of what I had read about Merc Mattes and if you're a car detailing nut (like me) there are still some good products from the likes of Swissvax and Nanolex to maintain the finish. I'm planning on getting a delivery detail done so as part of that have SunTek or XPEL protection applied. Will share the advise and results I get.

Until your car arrives this may help put your mind at rest about the grey Magno.

Last edited by Bluetonic; 11-24-2016 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bluetonic
Same here KcK! Mines turning up (hopefully) in late Dec/early Jan so will post a few pictures once it arrives. You can then see what it looks like in the crappy UK winter weather.

I picked up a pre-ordered car close to shipping and Selenite Grey Magno actually wasn't my first colour choice. Since then however its grown on me and I'm now very excited to finally see it. There's only a handful of pictures I've found online and a single video that show off the colour combo I have, so I'm also a little nervous.

Silver Surfer confirmed much of what I had read about Merc Mattes and if you're a car detailing nut (like me) there are still some good products from the likes of Swissvax and Nanolex to maintain the finish. I'm planning on getting a delivery detail done so as part of that have SunTek or XPEL protection applied. Will share the advise and results I get.

Until your car arrives this may help put your mind at rest about the grey Magno.

https://youtu.be/3PERDR4xQcI

Please do Bluetonic! I am leaning towards the iridium silver, mainly just because I like how it shows the lines of the car, and up keep is very easy... its going to be a daily driver here in wet vancouver BC Canada ... But having something different like the magno would be really sweet; what I really wish was that the silver magno was available for the C63S coupe, then I could have the best of both worlds. What colour interior did you go with?
Old 11-24-2016, 04:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
I went with just black in the end, but the performance seats have that nice silver/ white strip that lifts the interior leather.
Black 19/20 wheels
Night pack to give it an even more monochrome look.

So carbon aside also exactly like the video above.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GTR
I also have a designo selenite magno coupe coming in (and of course delayed production) and according to my detailer there are indeed lots of products to protect the matte paint, like Modesta, which strengthens the paint.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Genoshin
I also have a designo selenite magno coupe coming in (and of course delayed production) and according to my detailer there are indeed lots of products to protect the matte paint, like Modesta, which strengthens the paint.
Ah yes, I have heard Magno spec'd orders can be delayed .. I originally ordered the selenite grey mango, car was slated for a March/April build ... I had the dealer change it to Iridium Silver and now the car has been moved forward to a February build .. coincidence, perhaps.

Edit** I just saw you ordered an Edition 1 ... that is most likely the cause of delay from what I have read

Last edited by kck77; 11-24-2016 at 05:55 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New to Forum from Vancouver BC ... Just ordered a C63S Designo Selenite Grey Magno