Sponsored by:

2017 C63s coupe weird sound from engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 01:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by SBH-
doesn't sound right, take it to the dealer asap ?
Hi,

taken today, car will stay there this night (cold start needed), tomorrow morning will check it with their most experienced technician. To be honest...i think he is gonna say its normal..
Old 12-14-2016, 04:28 AM

2017 C63s coupe
Quick inspection done,

To my surprise (honestly) technician said, that noise is no right and it shouldnt be there.. of course couldnt figure out what is cause, need further examination, sound recording, than send it to MB factory (files) and so on...
im gonna keep you informed how it developes.

Many thanx to everyone that helped me here !
The following users liked this post:
juse (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:39 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
Originally Posted by diewithme
Quick inspection done,

To my surprise (honestly) technician said, that noise is no right and it shouldnt be there.. of course couldnt figure out what is cause, need further examination, sound recording, than send it to MB factory (files) and so on...

dang, hope it doesn't take so long though ..
Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
c63 coupe
Quick inspection done,

keep us informed
very interesting problem
Old 12-14-2016, 09:05 AM

2017 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by SBH-
dang, hope it doesn't take so long though ..
+1 on this

He said, till resolve, I can use my car, and in worst case(if something goes extremly wrong), they will change engine. So im little bit cooled down now..
Old 12-15-2016, 01:34 AM

Received 98 Likes on 96 Posts
C63S 2016
+1 on this

He said, till resolve, I can use my car, and in worst case(if something goes extremly wrong), they will change engine. So im little bit cooled down now..
keep us posted dude
Old 02-01-2017, 03:20 AM

2017 C63s coupe
Saga continues.

I had some belt replaced (maybe alternator belt) , it was causing that sound. It was also little scratched on one side (they showed me). Repair was done at the time i was in US. Stuff did several tests (adccording to their words) and I was told that it is fixed. When I came to pick up my car, that sound occured again. Now I have shedule with head AMG technician for thuesday.

Besides of that, keyless entry doesnt work 100%, i would say 2 faults of 20 atempts to open. It doesnt matter what door i try. Then car needs to be open with remote key by pressing button. Tried second key, replaced battery, no succes.

Interiour sqeeeks,rattles growing up. Dashboard creeks are present all the time. I told to my service guy, that it has something with struts (as wast majority of members here adviced) but he refused, telling me, that this info and service bulletin too is old, and doesnt apply to my car, because for this model year MB made some change and it is fixed from factory. What a bull****..

One more question for you guys. Do you have occasionall chirps in cabin? It is like 4-5 short sounds one after the other that are not loud. Then in maybe 20-30 min again. It happens every single drive i take. This is not mechanical sound definetely, more like electric.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:03 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Saga continues.

I had some belt replaced (maybe alternator belt) , it was causing that sound. It was also little scratched on one side (they showed me). Repair was done at the time i was in US. Stuff did several tests (adccording to their words) and I was told that it is fixed. When I came to pick up my car, that sound occured again. Now I have shedule with head AMG technician for thuesday.

Besides of that, keyless entry doesnt work 100%, i would say 2 faults of 20 atempts to open. It doesnt matter what door i try. Then car needs to be open with remote key by pressing button. Tried second key, replaced battery, no succes.

Interiour sqeeeks,rattles growing up. Dashboard creeks are present all the time. I told to my service guy, that it has something with struts (as wast majority of members here adviced) but he refused, telling me, that this info and service bulletin too is old, and doesnt apply to my car, because for this model year MB made some change and it is fixed from factory. What a bull****..

One more question for you guys. Do you have occasionall chirps in cabin? It is like 4-5 short sounds one after the other that are not loud. Then in maybe 20-30 min again. It happens every single drive i take. This is not mechanical sound definetely, more like electric.
WOW I really hate to say it but sounds like a lemon.
the noise from the engine sounds like piston slap.
keep on them demand a thorough engine inspection.
possible excessive clearance to piston to cylinder wall.
diewithme (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 04:56 PM

2017 C63s coupe
Originally Posted by tekfoc
WOW I really hate to say it but sounds like a lemon.
the noise from the engine sounds like piston slap.
keep on them demand a thorough engine inspection.
possible excessive clearance to piston to cylinder wall.
WHOA ! I hope not..

But when I noticed it for the first time, i thought the same.. Then, if you open the hood and try to locate source of that noise, it seems to be outside of engine, i would say by right side in the midlle cca... but who knows? Weird thing is, that the sound is present only when engine OIL temp is between 28 C and 73 C..

g0d damm!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:14 PM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
WHOA ! I hope not..

But when I noticed it for the first time, i thought the same.. Then, if you open the hood and try to locate source of that noise, it seems to be outside of engine, i would say by right side in the midlle cca... but who knows? Weird thing is, that the sound is present only when engine OIL temp is between 28 C and 73 C..

g0d damm!

have them change the oil and see what happens.

earlier Mercedes had issues like this and it turned out to be rist pins on some w204 c300's as example.

http://www.tsbsearch.com/Mercedes-Benz/LI03.10-P-054702

Last edited by tekfoc; 02-01-2017 at 05:23 PM.
diewithme (02-02-2017)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
WHOA ! I hope not..

g0d damm!

did you ever figure out what the chirping noise was?
Old 12-09-2018, 02:05 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
C63s(lost)/E250/GTR(Sold)/GTS(Carbonerre)
I got the same noise on cold start now, I'm looking for it, and suspect the problem on my car is EVAP purge valve solenoid. Still not confirmed yet, I need more test on my car to proof. If I got confirmed, I will let you guys know.
BTW I would like to say, I had 80% confidence it is EVAP purge valve.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:17 PM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
C63s(lost)/E250/GTR(Sold)/GTS(Carbonerre)
update:
DEC 9th: Tested both left and right side EVAP purge valve solenoid while engine off in this cold morning. Found left EVAP purge valve solenoid made significant more noise than right side, and pretty much the same noise as sounds during cold idle. Start engine when RPM drop to idle, noise only maintained about 30 second. Its not enough time for me to unplug EVAP purge valve solenoid wiring to testify.
due to this problem on my car is intermittent and very short time on cold condition (usually come with the first cold start), I need more time and more vehicle to test it.
If someone near Montreal or Toronto and had this issue, PM me, I will come to you and test confirm the problem on your car.

Last edited by srO_Michael_Orz; 12-09-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63 S, 2011 C63 R.I.P.
car went in for a Service A, i mentioned the chirpy noise. i was just told they are changing the timing belt/chain and tensioners. my car was making the same chirpy noise as in the OP's video.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 mercedes c400
Originally Posted by rmt52
car went in for a Service A, i mentioned the chirpy noise. i was just told they are changing the timing belt/chain and tensioners. my car was making the same chirpy noise as in the OP's video.
did that fix the problem does it not make the noise anymore now.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:05 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C63s Edition 1 JB4
Listening to all 3 vids I say that’s coming from a drive pulley or tension pulley it’s def not fuel sys or internal engine mechanical like valve train or deeper it’s on the outside of the engine. Easy way to tell is use a stethoscope and listen to the valve covers or block like a good dr. you can tell a lot from a simple exam

my car does not make this noise, but under light revs I do hear a belt slippping guessing its stretched or a tensioner that is not providing enough tension
Old 03-23-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 S AMG
That sound is normal same sound on mines, I asked the Service Advisor which knows the car well and he said to mines that the fuel pump. I think that's correct. I bet your video, you are starting it in Comfort mode. Go all the way to RACE mode and watch the noise go away almost completely. That fuel pump is delivering more fuel and takes away the noise. Do another video showing Comfort and then going to RACE mode.

Listen to this car video on start up, it has the same clanking noise.

Last edited by Juniorp187; 03-23-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:59 PM

2015 mercedes c400
Originally Posted by Juniorp187
That sound is normal same sound on mines, I asked the Service Advisor which knows the car well and he said to mines that the fuel pump. I think that's correct. I bet your video, you are starting it in Comfort mode. Go all the way to RACE mode and watch the noise go away almost completely. That fuel pump is delivering more fuel and takes away the noise. Do another video showing Comfort and then going to RACE mode.

Listen to this car video on start up, it has the same clanking noise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqxVy4jale8
we're not talking about the ticking noise we understand that's normal from the valves it's that chirping noise in between that's not normal if you go back to the first video it's a completely different sound you don't hear it in the video you just posted.
△BenzBoy△ (05-28-2023)
Old 03-23-2019, 03:12 PM

2017 C63s Edition 1 JB4
Originally Posted by White C400
we're not talking about the ticking noise we understand that's normal from the valves it's that chirping noise in between that's not normal if you go back to the first video it's a completely different sound you don't hear it in the video you just posted.
Isn’t the fuel pump inside the fuel tank on these cars like most all cars these days? Again I think it’s coming from the accessory drive belt sys, could always pull the serpentine belts and run it when cold for 20-30 seconds to eliminate that possibility. However not sure if the tensioners would contact any moving parts if not under load by a belt.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:39 PM

2015 mercedes c400
Im bringing mine in for 1st oil change prob within the next week. I'm gonna have them check mine out. It only does the sound on cold start for about 5 mins then when it warms up sound goes away.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:10 PM

2017 C63s Edition 1 JB4
Im bringing mine in for 1st oil change prob within the next week. I'm gonna have them check mine out. It only does the sound on cold start for about 5 mins then when it warms up sound goes away.
That sounds like an EGR issue, I think with tuning SW you can turn that off, at least to test a cold start up cycle or two.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:10 PM

2015 mercedes c400
Heard back from tech it is the timing chains tensioners causing the noise. They need to be replaced with updated ones. I was told Mercedes is aware of the issue. Should have car back Tuesday next week.
△BenzBoy△ (05-28-2023)
Old 04-25-2019, 08:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s amg coupe
Heard back from tech it is the timing chains tensioners causing the noise. They need to be replaced with updated ones. I was told Mercedes is aware of the issue. Should have car back Tuesday next week.
Any updates?
did the noise go away after the timing chains tensioners got changed?
my made the same noise aswell
△BenzBoy△ (05-28-2023)
Old 04-27-2019, 04:15 PM

2015 mercedes c400
Originally Posted by AaronT
Any updates?
did the noise go away after the timing chains tensioners got changed?
my made the same noise aswell
didn't want to respond right away listened for a few days to make sure sound went away. I thought I heard it faintly one morning but listened to it this morning and no sound so yes it did fix the problem. The original tensioners we're metal the new ones are Teflon.
△BenzBoy△ (05-28-2023)
Old 04-28-2019, 03:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s amg coupe
didn't want to respond right away listened for a few days to make sure sound went away. I thought I heard it faintly one morning but listened to it this morning and no sound so yes it did fix the problem. The original tensioners we're metal the new ones are Teflon.
thanks for the reply.
did you got it fixed under the warranty?
cause my its only happen when it cold start, and it’s happening every now and then. Even when the car its hot.
△BenzBoy△ (05-28-2023)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 2017 C63s coupe weird sound from engine