Sponsored by:

Secondary Cat delete on C63s Perf Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 05:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by gasman213
I still cant find someone able to do this in oregon because they cant do the top weld. Do you guys go to exhaust shops or custom fabricators?
My exhaust shop welded a flange on from the inside if that helps?
Old 09-02-2017, 06:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63S
Originally Posted by Davesc63
Where in Bris?
Albion Muffler Shop put my car on the hoist and gave a quote of $250 to chop the cats and replace with straight pipe. I'm yet to have it done.
Serious? They gave me marching orders and said they didnt want anything to do with it. Wasn't worth their time and risk for the money involved. Only 2 weeks ago.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:53 PM

c63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Davesc63
Where in Bris?
Albion Muffler Shop put my car on the hoist and gave a quote of $250 to chop the cats and replace with straight pipe. I'm yet to have it done.
Yes, I had it done yesterday at Rob Bliss Exhausts $350... They removed the second cat and the sound is glorious, more V8 burble and Crackle & Pop...approx 20% more volume....PJK

Give Aaron a call at Rob Bliss Exhausts at Geebung....PJK
Old 09-02-2017, 05:07 PM

c63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Sanch
I had mine removed and had the software update. It is pretty big difference for me... at least 30% louder.

https://youtu.be/SeaOhG3QlE8
wHAT SOFTWARE did you have updated...?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:22 PM

c63s Coupe
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Ok, so I just had this done. While it isn't a night-n-day difference, as the performance exhaust is pretty audible in race mode as it is, this mod is DEFINITELY worth the money.

- At idle, with the valves open, you can definitely here that V8 lump/gurgle type idle from the interior of the car. Couldn't hear that before. Yes, I could hear the idle before. But that 60s era muscle car lumpy/gurgle aspect of the idle, I definitely couldn't.

- In race mode, the car is lets say...very liberal with fuel. So there's typically a delay between removing your foot from the accelerator and the ECU cutting fuel, which is responsible for the backfires you hear (even when not downshifting; just suddenly releasing the throttle). Before the mod, I had to be on the throttle a good bit to get a loud enough backfire for me to hear it (and enjoy it). Now, it's much more audible. And I love it

- Just driving around town (again, in race mode), the exhaust is definitely more noticeable. And when you're on it, it's a GOOD bit more aggressive. Like not a tiny bit. Substantially.

- When driving aggressively, it REALLY opens up. Louder backfires on lifting, louder backfires on downshifting, louder exhaust in response to aggressive throttle... All around a winner.

Having said that, I'd STILL like my exhaust be louder with the valves open. But YMMV. I am one of those guys who wouldn't mind a GOOD sounding but almost obnoxiously loud exhaust - when I want it (eg valves open).

Also, in another thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...-delete-2.html there was a pic showing the inside of the secondary cats, stating "the secondary cats are not that restricted."

I disagree. This is me holding up the secondary cat to pure sunlight. That tiny little white...that's how little light gets through...

Did you happen to notice any residue or moisture spraying out after you had it done...?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:35 PM

c63s Coupe
2017 C63s Second Cat Removed

Just had my second cat removed yesterday and I've noticed moisture/residue spray coming out after start up...Funny though its mostly out of the right bank. C63s is only 5 Months old with 5500 klms....PJK
Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 PM

c63s Coupe
Any ideas as to why I might be getting moisture spray out of the exhaust after I had the Cat removed...?
Old 09-03-2017, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Probably just condensation that previously evaporated as it sat longer in the exhaust / secondary cats? That would be my guess. Doesn't sound like anything you need to worry about.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by PJK63
Did you happen to notice any residue or moisture spraying out after you had it done...?
No cuz I'm never behind the car; just in the car on startup.

But yea it's not uncommon to have moisture spraying out, esp on startup/while cold on open exhausts.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S AMG
17' AMG C63S

I had mine done a couple weeks ago and have been too busy to post anything. It sounds wayyy better. 20% more volume under acceleration and the crackles are more pronounced. Still not totally happy with loudness but actively searching for a solution.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by Wexlax732
I had mine done a couple weeks ago and have been too busy to post anything. It sounds wayyy better. 20% more volume under acceleration and the crackles are more pronounced. Still not totally happy with loudness but actively searching for a solution.
I have my Weistec Catless Downpipes or sale if anyone wants them. They are the best one on the market and are a one piece weld. They retail for $2,699 and they will make the car 40-45% louder. They also add about 25-30whp (30-35hp crank)

I can let them go for $1000.. http://weistec.com/all/c/c-63/2015-w...grade-c63.html

Old 09-09-2017, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by Guilty
I have my Weistec Catless Downpipes or sale if anyone wants them. They are the best one on the market and are a one piece weld. They retail for $2,699 and they will make the car 40-45% louder. They also add about 25-30whp (30-35hp crank)

I can let them go for $1000.. http://weistec.com/all/c/c-63/2015-w205-m177/exhaust/m177-downpipesupgrade-c63.html

Not a bad deal, but catless DP's sound horrible on the M177/178. The rasp is so bad... 30 HP isn't worth the tradeoff in sound and the PITA install for these.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:48 PM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
Not a bad deal, but catless DP's sound horrible on the M177/178. The rasp is so bad...
Thank you for your thoughtful input but that hasn't been my experience although I did have an Akra exhaust.

And no matter how you put it, it's still 10x times better than a tacky res delete that adds nothing.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S AMG

I can let them go for $1000.. http://weistec.com/all/c/c-63/2015-w...grade-c63.html

id

I'd love to get downpipes but hesitate to drop the transmission on a brand new car.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Thank you for your thoughtful input but that hasn't been my experience although I did have an Akra exhaust.

And no matter how you put it, it's still 10x times better than a tacky res delete that adds nothing.
I haven't heard a single aftermarket catback or DP setup that sounds better than the OEM performance exhaust, that's just my personal opinion. If there was one, I'd buy it.

Deleting the secondary cats just adds more volume and bass to the deep OEM quality sound, so if anything, catless DP's are tacky because they sound raspy on pretty much every setup and add negligible power gains over just deleting the secondary cats (maybe 15 HP more with the primary cats deleted)?

I haven't heard them paired with an Akra, but I'm also not down on spending an absurd amount of money on a catback for maybe 5 hp or a different exhaust tone.

I'm personally going to try the active valve module that keeps the valves 100% open all the time (instead of full load conditions like stock). That'll really add some extra sound down low in the RPM and at idle.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 09-10-2017 at 01:11 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:00 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
I haven't heard a single aftermarket catback or DP setup that sounds better than the OEM performance exhaust, that's just my personal opinion. If there was one, I'd buy it.

Deleting the secondary cat just adds more volume and bass to the deep OEM quality sound, so if anything, catless DP's are tacky AF because they sound raspy on pretty much every setup and add a negligible power gains by deleting the primary cats.

I haven't heard them paired with an Akra, but I'm also not down on spending an absurd amount of money on a catback for maybe 5 hp or a different exhaust tone.
You haven't heard it because you haven't spent the money to find out. I did.

I used to get an average of 5 thumbs up a day. Everyone loved how my car sounded and the compliments never stopped.

Now that I removed then, not even a single one. I am not making this up.

Yes, the downpipes are loud. Yes, they are obnoxious. Yes, they can be raspy; but in comfort, you won't notice much of a difference. They do serve their purpose if you're looking for another 30 ponies and tons of pop and crackles.

This is not to mention that the downpipes I'm selling can easily be retrofitted with cats like RDOC did.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
You haven't heard it because you haven't spent the money to find out. I did.

I used to get an average of 5 thumbs up a day. Everyone loved how my car sounded and the compliments never stopped.

Now that I removed then, not even a single one. I am not making this up.

Yes, the downpipes are loud. Yes, they are obnoxious. Yes, they can be raspy; but in comfort, you won't notice much of a difference. They do serve their purpose if you're looking for another 30 ponies and tons of pop and crackles.

This is not to mention that the downpipes I'm selling can easily be retrofitted with cats like RDOC did.
The whole point of this secondary cat delete is for sound, not power. Obviously if you're chasing every hp, going catless is the way to go.

But like you said, they're loud, obnoxious, smelly and personally sound like crap. I never run my car in comfort or with the exhaust valves off either. I ran catless DP's on one of my old S4's a decade ago (which made more power than your AMG) and even then I could not stand them. The smell, the noise.. just no. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:22 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
The whole point of this secondary cat delete is for sound, not power. Obviously if you're chasing every hp, going catless is the way to go.

But like you said, they're loud, obnoxious, smelly and personally sound like crap. I never run my car in comfort or with the exhaust valves off either. I ran catless DP's on one of my old S4's a decade ago (which made more power than your AMG) and even then I could not stand them. The smell, the noise.. just no. Just not my cup of tea.
At the end of the day, what I learned throughout my AMG experience is that it's junk. You can't make them fast, and when you do, get ready to drain your bank account.

That's why I'm moving on. Catless DP + Akra exhaust is the best sounding setup, period. And no, I will not be selling the Akra
Old 09-10-2017, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
At the end of the day, what I learned throughout my AMG experience is that it's junk. You can't make them fast, and when you do, get ready to drain your bank account.

That's why I'm moving on. Catless DP + Akra exhaust is the best sounding setup, period. And no, I will not be selling the Akra
Eh, not really sure what that has to do with anything. You made the mistake of doing a full build on a new car and overspent on the entire catalog of parts.

This car doesn't need more than a piggyback/tune and sticky tires to be a monster. Not everyone needs or wants a 700 hp daily, especially if it's not reliable.

This is way off topic anyways. Back to the secondary car delete discussion...
Old 09-10-2017, 01:31 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Eh, not really sure what that has to do with anything. You made the mistake of doing a full build on a new car and overspent on the entire catalog of parts.

This car doesn't need more than a piggyback/tune and sticky tires to be a monster. Not everyone needs or wants a 700 hp daily, especially if it's not reliable.

This is way off topic anyways. Back to the secondary car delete discussion...
We must not have the same definition of "monster".

Yes, back to topic.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
We must not have the same definition of "monster".

Yes, back to topic.
Pretty sure I do, because I've owned much faster vehicles than your modded C63S.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:36 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
Pretty sure I do, because I've owned much faster vehicles than your modded C63S.
Is this some sort of ***** contest for you?

You owning faster cars than mine is irrelevant. I never claimed that my c63 is a monster. In fact, I mostly claim it's a POS when I'm asked unless I'm trying to make a sale where I'll only speak of the positives.

You used piggyback and monster in the same sentence. See your mistake? I'll let you enjoy your "monster" C63 with a piggyback while I finish a 1500whp build.
Old 09-10-2017, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Is this some sort of ***** contest for you?

You owning faster cars than mine is irrelevant. I never claimed that my c63 is a monster. In fact, I mostly claim it's a POS when I'm asked unless I'm trying to make a sale where I'll only speak of the positives.

You used piggyback and monster in the same sentence. See your mistake? I'll let you enjoy your "monster" C63 with a piggyback while I finish a 1500whp build.
No one asked you if you think the car we all own and the one you're trying to sell is a POS, it's totally irrelevant to this thread... as is your Weistec DP for sale post in a thread about a secondary cat delete (when the majority here don't want all the downsides of a fully catless DP). People are doing this mod because it's quick, cheap, and gives you more sound. There are countless catless DP threads where you can pawn off your old parts, or better yet, start a new one or bump an old thread if you already have one.

I too remember when I thought MOAR POWER = better. There will always be someone else faster than you. And you will break a ton of parts and flush a ton of money down the drain trying to get there... like you already have with your C63S. I know because I've been there before and will never do another full build engine again with any platform... no matter how fun it is for those 2 weeks it actually drives well.

And yes, a tune or piggyback is more than enough power for 99% of people here. 600 hp sent to the rear wheels is about the limit or what most people need on a daily driven street car.

PM me if you want to continue, otherwise carry on with the secondary cat delete discussion...

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 09-10-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T

Curious what car you will go to next.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Banned

'16 C63-S
No one asked you if you think the car we all own and the one you're trying to sell is a POS, it's totally irrelevant to this thread... as is your Weistec DP for sale post in a thread about a secondary cat delete (when the majority here don't want all the downsides of a fully catless DP). People are doing this mod because it's quick, cheap, and gives you more sound. There are countless catless DP threads where you can pawn off your old parts, or better yet, start a new one or bump an old thread if you already have one.

I too remember when I thought MOAR POWER = better. There will always be someone else faster than you. And you will break a ton of parts and flush a ton of money down the drain trying to get there... like you already have with your C63S. I know because I've been there before and will never do another full build engine again with any platform... no matter how fun it is for those 2 weeks it actually drives well.

And yes, a tune or piggyback is more than enough power for 99% of people here. 600 hp sent to the rear wheels is about the limit or what most people need on a daily driven street car.

PM me if you want to continue, otherwise carry on with the secondary cat delete discussion...
Did I hurt your feelings? It seems like it. You can't stop talking.

Piggyback to get 600hp to the wheels? What are you even saying dude? It is now clear that you have no idea what you're talking about. 510 to the wheel is the MOST you will ever get from a tune only or a piggyback. And for me, it is VERY far from being enough for a DD. FYI, you need upgraded turbos to get 600 to the wheel.

Please stop spreading misinformation, and more importantly, stop trying to speak for everyone and stick to what you have actually experienced.

If you didn't want this thread to go off-topic this much, you could've kept classy without bashing my post that offered a nice, cheap alternative for people that wanted more sound AND power. You are just a classless party pooper.

Last edited by Guilty; 09-10-2017 at 12:01 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Secondary Cat delete on C63s Perf Exhaust