Sponsored by:

Love my C63s but....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63s 2016
Love my C63s but....

I live every day in my C63s. It's a great car, but I think Merc is being left behind a bit by their friends at Audi with interiors. The quality was certainly as good if not better.

I sat in the new SQ7. The dash was vastly superior to the C63s. car play for a start is a no-brainer. It is evident too that on 2018 models, both Porsche and Audi are going back to in-dash screens. Can't wait to see the end of the tanked on iPad look.

The Infotainment screen on our c63s is really a bit low rent and although the new E Class is better, it's going to be a fair while before we see a new dash incorporating entertainment, others have had for at least 2 years. Want the Audi dash in my C63!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe, Triumph 675R Daytona, Triumph Explorer.
That's technology for you.

Newer models will always have the better tech (unless your a manufacturer like Aston Martin who get all your tech second hand).

To be honest I could live without all the gadgets. Turn em off and just listen to the engine. Thats the main reason I have a V8 Mercedes and not a Tesla.
The following users liked this post:
Max.H (01-17-2017)
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2016 C63S
That's is not true. Audi is not going back to all "in dash" systems. The new s4/a4 is going from in dash to "iPad" look. It allows the dash to be lower and less obtrustive in the sedan models.
You are right though the interface does leave a lot to be desired and it would be great to be able to upgrade as new features come along.
I actually prefer the look of our cars dash. I think the new straight across massive screen look is to "flat" for my taste.
Old 01-15-2017, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C63 AMG S
Too bad we can't get the sq7 here in the states.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63s Coupe
I think remember that the current class interior has been out for nearly 3 years and i still think compared to any vehicle produced in the same time period that it is miles ahead.

Yes the new interior of Audi and their indash is great but look at the new E Class, it will totally compete with the Audi.

Myself coming from an M4 am beyond impressed with the interior of my c63s coupe. sure we want all the new tech but im happy.

Also i wont lie i am really envious of the Audi Virtual Cockpit..... But im still happy!
Old 01-16-2017, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
Big Audi fan and ex-owner here so biased opinion below....

Audi has stepped up their game against MB/BMW for YEARS. Dollar for dollar, they have been building better cars/SUVs for quite some time. I'm sorry, but they have. But they haven't gotten the respect from consumers as Audi is always perceived to be a notch below the other two when it comes to a luxury brand. Plus their AWD is FAR AND BEYOND anything MB and BMW has produced. The only thing that Audi has failed at is they put their motors ahead of the front axles which creates a lot to be desired in the handling department and creates too much understeer at the limit. Now they have improved their design a bit over the last few years but still hang about 3/4 of the motors ahead.

Don't even get me started on the new virtual cockpit that is an option on every model. It is so great. I'm actually borrowing my mom's 2017 Q7 while she's out of town so I can work on my car and I'm having a blast playing with this thing. And I don't like SUV's but I could totally drive this thing around every day and have zero complaints.

They have been integrating hidden SATNAV screens into their dashes for years. I remember first seeing it on my Dad's 2013 A8. Just comes out of absolutely no where! I don't understand why everyone doesn't do that. The Ipad design is so ugly.

Last edited by sean1.8t; 01-16-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Bloodstar57 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG
I even thought the interior on my 07 S4 DTM was great. Build quality was better than my BMW and Benz, comfortable, well optioned, and really liked the layout despite the fact that it was older.

I really like the interior on the face lifted W204 C63's, and honestly the W205 interior is awesome minus the iPad look which is a nitpick/personal preference.
Bloodstar57 (01-16-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 05:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
BMW328ix, AMG C43
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Plus their AWD is FAR AND BEYOND anything MB and BMW has produced.
Do you have any data on this? To say "far and beyond" means that a Audi should be able to climb an icy/snowy/muddy hill significantly more inclined that a MB or bimmer (or other awd for that matter) would not be able to - for example. Is that Audi capable of pulling 5 tons, and a MB/bimmer only 500 pounds? (that would indeed define "far and beyond"). The reason I am asking is that some Audi dealers vowed by their AWD system, and I am curious where you felt the difference.

The virtual cockpit is indeed amazing, I believe I saw it when test drove a couple cars before deciding on the MB. For some reason I always felt MB to be a bit late with including electronic gadgets/innovations than... US cars for example - I might be wrong.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by gabe.m
Do you have any data on this? To say "far and beyond" means that a Audi should be able to climb an icy/snowy/muddy hill significantly more inclined that a MB or bimmer (or other awd for that matter) would not be able to - for example. Is that Audi capable of pulling 5 tons, and a MB/bimmer only 500 pounds? (that would indeed define "far and beyond"). The reason I am asking is that some Audi dealers vowed by their AWD system, and I am curious where you felt the difference.
I don't have any data on hand but if you research on your own there is plenty out there to read.

It has been widely agreed upon by the entire industry that Subaru and Audi have been making the most capable AWD systems for years. Audi essentially invented modern AWD with their innovation of center differentials in the 80s.

I do feel that MB's 4MATIC has made great strides in recent years as my car has not let me down in the few times I've put it to the test so far. I haven't had it in the extreme situations that I used to drive my old A4's in so there is still some comparisons to do for my own sake. I used to work at a ski resort here in Utah and My lowered A4 on snow tires would plow through ANYTHING (as long as it didn't get high-centered ). There would be trucks and AWD cars just spinning tires in 30" of snow or slid off the road and I'd just cruise right past them without any worry.

There is also dozens of these types of youtube video's showing AWD comparisons. Some highly biased toward one manufacturer or the other, but a few that are objective.

gabe.m (01-17-2017)
Old 01-16-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
?
There are 2 cars I will forever regret selling the Allroad is one of them. Nothing short of amazing, its only flaw the front disk rotors.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Yes the virtual cockpit by Audi is amazing. I like it.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:14 AM
HLA

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
c63 s coupe edition 1: http://imgur.com/a/9GiNI
i like the c63's overall interior design more, and i don't mind the tablet thingy. i don't know why everyone is so upset about it. the screen resolution is amazing.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
loved my old subaru STI, now that was a real snow monster eater.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c-fo-fiddy
Originally Posted by HLA
i like the c63's overall interior design more, and i don't mind the tablet thingy. i don't know why everyone is so upset about it. the screen resolution is amazing.
You don't think it looks like someone put double sided tape on the back of a $30 tablet and pressed it on the dash?
Old 01-17-2017, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
E55
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
Big Audi fan and ex-owner here so biased opinion below....

Audi has stepped up their game against MB/BMW for YEARS. Dollar for dollar, they have been building better cars/SUVs for quite some time. I'm sorry, but they have. But they haven't gotten the respect from consumers as Audi is always perceived to be a notch below the other two when it comes to a luxury brand. Plus their AWD is FAR AND BEYOND anything MB and BMW has produced. The only thing that Audi has failed at is they put their motors ahead of the front axles which creates a lot to be desired in the handling department and creates too much understeer at the limit. Now they have improved their design a bit over the last few years but still hang about 3/4 of the motors ahead.

Don't even get me started on the new virtual cockpit that is an option on every model. It is so great. I'm actually borrowing my mom's 2017 Q7 while she's out of town so I can work on my car and I'm having a blast playing with this thing. And I don't like SUV's but I could totally drive this thing around every day and have zero complaints.

They have been integrating hidden SATNAV screens into their dashes for years. I remember first seeing it on my Dad's 2013 A8. Just comes out of absolutely no where! I don't understand why everyone doesn't do that. The Ipad design is so ugly.
I love the RS7 And S8 Plus so I'm a big audi fan too. But, the 4 matic plus with torqe vectoring AWD and drift mode is very slick.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by c63Dal
I live every day in my C63s. It's a great car, but I think Merc is being left behind a bit by their friends at Audi with interiors. The quality was certainly as good if not better.

I sat in the new SQ7. The dash was vastly superior to the C63s. car play for a start is a no-brainer. It is evident too that on 2018 models, both Porsche and Audi are going back to in-dash screens. Can't wait to see the end of the tanked on iPad look.

The Infotainment screen on our c63s is really a bit low rent and although the new E Class is better, it's going to be a fair while before we see a new dash incorporating entertainment, others have had for at least 2 years. Want the Audi dash in my C63!
The Q7 is also a couple tiers above the C class. Compare the C class to the new B9 A4/S4 interior and Mercedes trounces Audi. The new A4 is dreadful inside.
Bloodstar57 (01-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 AMG, Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I find this thread very interesting.
I'll start by saying it's obviously all a matter of taste and preference but I'm a little surprised at how many of you prefer the virtual/digital stuff. I know these modern high performance cars are all full of technology so being a purist about this sort of thing is difficult to argue but personally it just seems wrong to me - physical gauges, buttons and switches feel "right" when in control of a machine like this.
Sort of like watches to me - I'm a watch guy and own a Panerai - I couldn't imagine wearing an Apple Watch etc. It's a watch, I appreciate the physical aspects of the movement as much as the functionality...so more features just aren't what I want...I have a phone, I want a watch and appreciate the craftsmanship of a really good one.
So I also don't want my driving environment looking like a series of computer monitors and tablets.

Btw, I'm also a CTO and oversee some pretty epic software developers and data/AI engineers that build some amazing "digital" things - so maybe there's some escape psychology at play here to

For what it's worth my vote goes to the c63 interior hands down. Not even close.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
None
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
The Q7 is also a couple tiers above the C class. Compare the C class to the new B9 A4/S4 interior and Mercedes trounces Audi. The new A4 is dreadful inside.
Long time Audi guy here. I like the styling of the C-class interior better than the B9; the c-class feels more warm and inviting. The new B9's feels even more cold and less inviting than the B8 and the B8 more than the B7/B6 and the B7/B6 than the B5. The Q7 was a warmer vehicle for me than the B8 and B7 but as aforementioned the Q7 is a different class of vehicle.

All this is to say that the new Audi interiors are great and have tons of tech goodies but are just too cold and chiseled for me at this point. However, I know I will find my way back to one. It maybe some type of brand loyalty or experiential reference but I have never felt as secure, when the weather is bad to terrible, as I do when driving a Quattro Audi.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:45 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
At least audi has seemed to work all of the rattles out of the interior... All of my vw group cars have had solid interiors with no rattles or squeaks. Can't say that is the case with the Mercedes
Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
More tech, more gremlins. Audis/VW are renowned for electrical issues.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Received 97 Likes on 90 Posts
911 991 TTS, Audi RS6 C7 Performance Edition, AMG GTS
I'm a big fan of the Audi virtual cockpit but I also agree with vagabondo - that mechanical dials are still a good thing and not necessarily something I want to see gone. The new Panamera (which combines both styles to a degree) is just superb.

Whilst I like Audi interiors I think the C63 class Mercs have a significant aesthetic edge against the same class of cars from Audi and BMW. The Mercedes also uses nicer feeling plastics although there are more interior noises. The UI on the infotainment is a bit of a disaster. It looks ok but so unfriendly compared to Audi/BMW.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB W205 C63S
The current Q7 4M and new models of A4, A5 have got the new Cockpit and also with Virtual Dashboard.

I guess the W205 Facelift will be comparable again and may get the dashboard as the big brother W213