Sponsored by:

Giulia Quadrifoglio Delivers Less-Than-Advertised HP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by tripitz
Go read the forums to what "quality" means for the owners. Like I said, my car is made of nice materials that are installed in a very poor manner. What good is my leather dash when there is a nasty cold weather squeak that can be heard 100% of the time over any slight bump (AND cannot be fixed by the volume play dealers in my metro area). What good is a panoramic roof that vibrates like mad at 80+mph due to suction or over every bump. What good is my nice roof liner when the center console rattles. What good is my "burmester radio" when there are distortion sounds during phone calls, rattles when on the road, or makes random buzzing noises that cannot be diagnosed by my local dealer. What is quality when your e-diff randomly reports errors. Why does my collision warning come on ALL the time for no reason? What is quality when your coolant just disappears. Ever look at the garbage head bolts used on previous-gen engines? Horrible engineering.

You talk about fit and finish? My rear bumper does not fit properly. The paint chips instantly on these cars. So does the front window. My brother's C has horrible paint quality. Rough edges comparable to what a cheap respray would result in. This is from the factory. I could go on...

All of these numerous issues just completely detract from the ownership experience. It's annoying.

I've owned 4 Porsches. There is no comparison. This car is by FAR the worst put together piece of rubbish I have ever owned at ANY price point. That includes American cars from the late 80s and 90s.

The poor build quality of the C is a FACT. Look at the stats from pretty much any site that tracks issues/repairs/etc. Mercedes is playing a volume game.

Before you say I should go sell the car.. I probably would at this point. I regret this purchase. That being said, I like the driving experience, the functional design which is excellent, and the engine. V8! I will dump this car at warranty end though and take a blood bath on depreciation.
As much as I love the C63s, the built quality/reliability is one thing steering me away from it.

My brother-in-law has 2015 C63s sedan (first owner) and 4 other mates have 2016 coupes (including an Edition 1). Unfortunately all of them have had major issues where the car had to be towed back to the dealership. Problems ranged from blown radiators (twice! Edition 1 with 600KM!!), transmission failures (software related), brakes not disengaging, multiple Electronic issues etc etc.

I am now getting to the final stage where within 3 weeks, I'll have to put down deposit on a C63s coupe. I keep trying to convince myself that I won't have these types of issues but reading feedback like these scare the **** outer me

C63s with carbon option cost around AUD $180K (USD $135k) so it's big coin and a big gamble if you end up getting a lemon. It just looks like it's a massive hit and miss. Based on forum feedback, it appears some people don't have a single issues whereas others simply get hammered.

I've had mostly Lexus' (with exception of couple of audis and skylines) so reliability was never an issue. I always give my cars a hard time and even after that never had any issues (with exception of brake pad related issues due to track days).

I agree with everyone else on this forum, the sound of c63s is simply intoxicating and there is nothing no the (Australian) market that comes close to it. Bang for your buck, you simply can't go wrong with a c63.

Couple of my mates also own 204 c63 and worse issue they have experienced is some intermittent rattle every now and then but apart from that that....nothing. So it appears with 205 series, it simply comes down to QC related problems.

I guess the bottom line is, if I am sending $180k on a brand new vehicle.....I don't want any issues. Hell....even if I spent $20k on a Corolla I don't want any issues. Most of the time people tend to buy new cars is that they don't want any headaches dealing with issues/problems which can come with buying a second hand car.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by nslac
As much as I love the C63s, the built quality/reliability is one thing steering me away from it.

My brother-in-law has 2015 C63s sedan (first owner) and 4 other mates have 2016 coupes (including an Edition 1). Unfortunately all of them have had major issues where the car had to be towed back to the dealership. Problems ranged from blown radiators (twice! Edition 1 with 600KM!!), transmission failures (software related), brakes not disengaging, multiple Electronic issues etc etc.

I am now getting to the final stage where within 3 weeks, I'll have to put down deposit on a C63s coupe. I keep trying to convince myself that I won't have these types of issues but reading feedback like these scare the **** outer me

C63s with carbon option cost around AUD $180K (USD $135k) so it's big coin and a big gamble if you end up getting a lemon. It just looks like it's a massive hit and miss. Based on forum feedback, it appears some people don't have a single issues whereas others simply get hammered.

I've had mostly Lexus' (with exception of couple of audis and skylines) so reliability was never an issue. I always give my cars a hard time and even after that never had any issues (with exception of brake pad related issues due to track days).

I agree with everyone else on this forum, the sound of c63s is simply intoxicating and there is nothing no the (Australian) market that comes close to it. Bang for your buck, you simply can't go wrong with a c63.

Couple of my mates also own 204 c63 and worse issue they have experienced is some intermittent rattle every now and then but apart from that that....nothing. So it appears with 205 series, it simply comes down to QC related problems.

I guess the bottom line is, if I am sending $180k on a brand new vehicle.....I don't want any issues. Hell....even if I spent $20k on a Corolla I don't want any issues. Most of the time people tend to buy new cars is that they don't want any headaches dealing with issues/problems which can come with buying a second hand car.
I used to be like this too but realized it did not make any sense to get anxiety over such things. I still keep these things in mind and appreciate owner's feedback but in the end the car is under warranty and most Mercedes dealerships are pretty good to deal with.

If you were to go on every car forum, they would all make you feel like this just because the majority who have these issues are the most vocal. On the bright side, the majority of owners are happy with their purchases so don't let this hold you back.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s

Mate, I've got the coupe and no issues so far. Not sure how your mates are so many issues at 600kms. Hope they do realize there is a run in period until 1,500kms.

But if you are that uncertain about a car, I won't go for it. The lexus is coming out with the LC 500 should be a good upgrade.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 C63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Sanch
Mate, I've got the coupe and no issues so far. Not sure how your mates are so many issues at 600kms. Hope they do realize there is a run in period until 1,500kms.

But if you are that uncertain about a car, I won't go for it. The lexus is coming out with the LC 500 should be a good upgrade.
I don't think run-in has anything to do with the blown radiator. He initially drove from Sydney to Canberra to run in the motor but the radiator **** itself somewhere in Canberra.

The car was towed down to 1 of the local dealerships and he had to find his way back to Sydney. A week or so later with a new radiator, it happened again. Never heard of a brand new car, especially a Merc doing this....

Last I heard from him, his car was with MB for 5 weeks while they carried out their investigation.

I did speak to 1 of my contacts at Lexus AU 2 days ago. Drive-away RRP for LC500 with EP1 is $210k however he won't be able to confirm his rock bottom pricing until May/June this year. There's also talks of a LCF which is V8 TT with 600HP but I think price will be closer to $300k based on LCs pricing.

I am keeping my options open at this stage. I still love the idea of a V8 TT which C63s offers. Value for money there is nothing currently on the market. Won't be the first I've gone against my better judgement and ended up loving the car .

@Sanch Like you said mate, you haven't had any issues with your 63. This is what I meant by my earlier post that it seems to be a hit and miss. Some people don't have a single issue whereas others simply get hammered.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
There's really a simple answer as to why Alfa's supposed 505 hp (crank) is only registering 392 hp (wheel).... Even if we assume that the powertrain loss is 15%, that gives 392 x 1.15 = 450.8 crank hp. There is really one simple reason... it's Italian which means the car is broken already...
Old 03-16-2017, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Reliability issues with the new 205 series do concern me. Hence why I have been putting off any purchase. I've been monitoring this forum over the past 12 months or so and it doesn't appear that issues have been satisfactorily resolved on the production line.

In Australia the cost of entry is high for this car.
Something in me wishes AMG could have done more to distinguish this visually car from a 'normal' C-class. But I think practically they have struck a good enough balance.
There are other issues I have with the purchase such as lack of customisability/options for the interior and exterior in Australia. There are some things I simply dont want such as the pano roof and shadow pack.

Also the lack of a proper gear stick which is an immense cost-saving exercise by Benz. I think AMG could have added a console gear selector such as found in the AMG GT.
Another cost-saving measure is the lack of rear performance caliper. Minor & aesthetic only, and now across Benz's AMG range, but would complete the look at this price.
Additionally, although not too major, is THAT ipad-like infotaiment system mounted so conspicuously which I find distracting at best.
For an extra $50k+ or so a customisable Jaguar Ftype R AWD (which sounds even better!) is tempting.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 250cdi 4matic '13
Originally Posted by theclutch
There's really a simple answer as to why Alfa's supposed 505 hp (crank) is only registering 392 hp (wheel).... Even if we assume that the powertrain loss is 15%, that gives 392 x 1.15 = 450.8 crank hp. There is really one simple reason... it's Italian which means the car is broken already...
Ah ah ah try a Giulia Quadrifoglio and then come back to give us your brilliant thoughts.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 AM

C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Originally Posted by Phoeny
Ah ah ah try a Giulia Quadrifoglio and then come back to give us your brilliant thoughts.
Here's another brilliant thought... "Cheap, fast or reliable... Pick any two."

Honestly, if I had to start over, I would consider the GQ (wow, that has a nice ring to it). If I didn't have my AMG today, I would still NOT get the GQ for two reasons: 1) they only have a black and bland interior and 2) reliability is very questionable for me at this point. I would still get my AMG with the killer red/black carbon fiber interior/red cross stitched seats that still brings a smile to my face each time I enter the car. I would wait 2 years and see how the GQ's reliability pans out. I also really like the Stelvio Quad. I'm in the market for that type of car, but not pulling the trigger on it due to #2 above. It will likely be the Macan GTS.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 250cdi 4matic '13
Ok,now I'm in the game:

I can't blame you, MB/Bmw/Audi are far from perfection but they offer a better premium experience while our italian brands have inherited a bad name in terms of reliability and global quality due to the horrible mentality of the old days "do it fast,cheap and profitable" (let's keep Ferrari out of this speech,it's on a whole different level)!
I really hope FCA has learned the lesson,they can't fail once again in the US market otherwise the FixItAgainTony joke will determine a lethal failure; but trust me,Alfa Romeo has put a tremendous effort into the Giulia and Stelvio projects,you have to drive them to feel all the hard work that sits under the bonnet.

Ps: the Macan GTS is superb mid size suv but give the Stelvio Quadrifoglio a try...you'll thank me later, even though you're not gonna buy it.
Old 04-08-2017, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I've been hemming and hawing about what to replace my 204 C63 with. I had a 202 C43 and love the 205, but honestly want something different instead of just buying the next generation of the same car. The AR QF caught my eye recently and I think I'm gonna get one in the coming months. But I'll probably keep the 204 C63 as well.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:37 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I've been hemming and hawing about what to replace my 204 C63 with. I had a 202 C43 and love the 205, but honestly want something different instead of just buying the next generation of the same car. The AR QF caught my eye recently and I think I'm gonna get one in the coming months. But I'll probably keep the 204 C63 as well.
That'll be a mighty pairing of new and old school awesomeness
Old 04-09-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
c63s sedan
10k on my 15 c63s. zero issues. love the build quality all around. no squeaks no cold weather problems at all.

and the alfa has a super ugly front. if they improve that id consider it in future.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 PM

Went and took a look at the Giulia. I like the look of it and it looks "tight". However, upon sitting inside, I felt claustrophobic. It's SMALL inside. In fact, the backseat is pitiful compared to my C63S. With all things the same (same quality, no teething issues, etc.), I think I'd still end up with the C63S. I also still like the engine sound of the C63S better.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:18 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI

This ^^^ Another Aust. person here and agree with most of the above and hence why I never buy first release of any new model I like until towards the end of the model cycle run, not always but usually the case I've noticed is there's far fewer such problems - as you say it's massive coin for us here in Aust. to buy these cars specially if like myself you buy outright and own long term not just loan or lease or rent and then regularly update in which case these problems won't be as much of an issue as you'll soon get rid of the car.

Originally Posted by shoe3k
I used to be like this too but realized it did not make any sense to get anxiety over such things. I still keep these things in mind and appreciate owner's feedback but in the end the car is under warranty and most Mercedes dealerships are pretty good to deal with.

If you were to go on every car forum, they would all make you feel like this just because the majority who have these issues are the most vocal. On the bright side, the majority of owners are happy with their purchases so don't let this hold you back.
Good point, I do hold back but as said only initial/pre update release but still buy later on as I've always done, the other reason for holding back is because the "good stuff" is always found/released at the end stages on a models run cycle

Originally Posted by Sanch

Interesting choice Sanch, it's the first Lexus I'd ever consider buying too, but as above "wait" there are more potent variants of the LC500 coming unless of course your leasing or whatever and don't mind updating every 2 or 3 years
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM

Received 116 Likes on 88 Posts
2013 c63 Magnuson SCed
Originally Posted by tripitz
Go read the forums to what "quality" means for the owners. Like I said, my car is made of nice materials that are installed in a very poor manner. What good is my leather dash when there is a nasty cold weather squeak that can be heard 100% of the time over any slight bump (AND cannot be fixed by the volume play dealers in my metro area). What good is a panoramic roof that vibrates like mad at 80+mph due to suction or over every bump. What good is my nice roof liner when the center console rattles. What good is my "burmester radio" when there are distortion sounds during phone calls, rattles when on the road, or makes random buzzing noises that cannot be diagnosed by my local dealer. What is quality when your e-diff randomly reports errors. Why does my collision warning come on ALL the time for no reason? What is quality when your coolant just disappears. Ever look at the garbage head bolts used on previous-gen engines? Horrible engineering.

You talk about fit and finish? My rear bumper does not fit properly. The paint chips instantly on these cars. So does the front window. My brother's C has horrible paint quality. Rough edges comparable to what a cheap respray would result in. This is from the factory. I could go on...

All of these numerous issues just completely detract from the ownership experience. It's annoying.

I've owned 4 Porsches. There is no comparison. This car is by FAR the worst put together piece of rubbish I have ever owned at ANY price point. That includes American cars from the late 80s and 90s.

The poor build quality of the C is a FACT. Look at the stats from pretty much any site that tracks issues/repairs/etc. Mercedes is playing a volume game.

Before you say I should go sell the car.. I probably would at this point. I regret this purchase. That being said, I like the driving experience, the functional design which is excellent, and the engine. V8! I will dump this car at warranty end though and take a blood bath on depreciation.
As someone who almost sold his C55 to slide into a C63S, this is what I gathered in my research as well and I decided a business expansion made more financial sense. Granted, a W203 at 124k miles can be a rattle trap too, but it's nearly free. If I had a W205 and it was as bad as I've read (internet anecdotal evidence, I know), I'd lose my mind.

From what I can tell from my extensive internet forums research, the coupes seem buttoned up better than the sedans. Is this true?
Old 04-15-2017, 12:42 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by L8 apex
As someone who almost sold his C55 to slide into a C63S, this is what I gathered in my research as well and I decided a business expansion made more financial sense. Granted, a W203 at 124k miles can be a rattle trap too, but it's nearly free. If I had a W205 and it was as bad as I've read (internet anecdotal evidence, I know), I'd lose my mind.

From what I can tell from my extensive internet forums research, the coupes seem buttoned up better than the sedans. Is this true?
To some extent yes, a contributing factor could be place of manufacture and/or assembly.

The coupes (Worldwide market) are all manufactured/assembled in Germany.

The sedan (for the U.S market) are assembled in the U.S.

A lot of the common issues seem to be more prevalent with the sedans on this forum which are mostly U.S assembled vehicles.