Sponsored by:

Giulia Quadrifoglio Delivers Less-Than-Advertised HP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
IB Staff

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Giulia Quadrifoglio Delivers Less-Than-Advertised HP

It's normal protocol to calculate a 15% flywheel power loss, but this figure seems to account for much more than that.

Read the rest on the MBWorld homepage. >>
Old 03-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Its a point in time--- Ill see what the car does on the street as dynos are easily manipulated.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
It's weight and trap time from some 1/4 mile times I have seen are in the ballpark for its advertised power.

Last edited by shoe3k; 03-06-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by Vic55
Its a point in time--- Ill see what the car does on the street as dynos are easily manipulated.
I was able to take one for a short drive last week........amazing. I'm seriously considering passing on my C63 coupe and getting this beautiful Italian.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
It is definitely a very nice car that puts up good numbers in other outlines I've seen (car magazines and such). Has much more of an exotic feel to it than the C63S. Both accomplish the same purpose but in very different ways.

That being said, compared to the likes of MB/BMW/Audi/etc, Alfa Romeo is very much lacking with their current dealer network, especially when compare the level of after-purchase service. Anyone looking to purchase a Giulia very much needs to take this into account. I can just imagine the headaches that Alfa Romeo will be going through over the next few years if their growth is anywhere near what they hope it will be.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Administrator

2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Rock
I was able to take one for a short drive last week........amazing. I'm seriously considering passing on my C63 coupe and getting this beautiful Italian.
How was the sound?
Old 03-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Received 514 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
It sounds incredibly angry in race with the valves open. A much nicer note than the M3/M4. Have you driven one yet? The interior is a notch below the Merc. but still very nice. The one I drove did not have the CF seats.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
If the power is down, that means Alfa has done a very fantastic job in chassis tuning to compensate for the decreased power. Just look at that amazing time put out by the QV on the Ring. As the old sayin goes, "Power is nothing without control." In this case, I can live with the decrease in power.

I would have done the same if it wasn't for Alfa's well known history of poor reliability. Let's see how reliable the thing is in a year or two.

Heck, it pretty much has the 488/CaliT's engine sans 2 less cylinder. What else can beat that even with it slightly down on power?!
Old 03-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Administrator

It sounds incredibly angry in race with the valves open. A much nicer note than the M3/M4. Have you driven one yet? The interior is a notch below the Merc. but still very nice. The one I drove did not have the CF seats.
There is not one of these cars on the ground locally that Ive seen... Im sure they are coming but even cars.com doesnt list any within my region.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
'17 Mercedes GLS550
Pretty useless video.

C&D and MT have already conducted instrumented tests on the track with this car. It's quarter mile numbers beat just about every single car in this segment.

I'm no Alfa fanboy either. I would ultimately get a M3 over the Alfa. However, it's funny how people are trying to give the Alfa a bad rap.
Old 03-06-2017, 09:20 PM

nothing
Originally Posted by damnitBobby
Pretty useless video.

C&D and MT have already conducted instrumented tests on the track with this car. It's quarter mile numbers beat just about every single car in this segment.

I'm no Alfa fanboy either. I would ultimately get a M3 over the Alfa. However, it's funny how people are trying to give the Alfa a bad rap.
Agreed.

I was interested in the QV after I read about it last year, but the dealer networks are weak and Alfa has a lot of trust building to do, which I don't want to be a guinea pig. I really want the QV to succeed since competition is always good for us.

It's funny how a year changed my shopping because I went from M3 -> QV -> C63s. The C63s won immediately after testing driving it since I'm a sucker for great sounding motors.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
I agree with you. Drove one last week and absolutely loved it.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Terrible article... it would be a "heartbreaker" dyno if a MB was run on it and showed more than 15% parasitic loss.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by shoe3k
the dealer networks are weak and Alfa has a lot of trust building to do, which I don't want to be a guinea pig. I really want the QV to succeed since competition is always good for us.
Definitely! BTW, hats off to Alfa for the Giulia receiving the highest crash rating score ever in the history of Euro NCAP. That was impressive!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus GS F
I have an Alfa Romeo dealer 5 minutes from my house....

I had been looking at cars to replace my CTS V sport.... lease is almost done....

Looked at M4, C43, C63, C63S, E43, S6, 540i, GS F, and cuz the Romeo dealer was so close, and nothing to do one day.... I head over to the Romeo dealer..

The Mercedes dealers weren't very accommodating in regards to the C63, the C63s, and the E43.....they basically wanted MSRP...maybe a few hundred dollars off they said....
I only drove the C43......and that one didn't do it for me.....so I left...

Anyway, back to the Alfa Romeo.....
They didn't have the 500hp V6 Quadrifoglio, and the ones they are expecting to receive are already sold.... but they had plenty of the 4 banger turbo.... the Giulia Ti is what I drove.....

Nice little engine.... with 280hp....

After the drive of the 4 banger turbo, I was pretty impressed....
Pretty good pickup, car handled really nice.....
almost as if it were on rails.....really liked it, and sticker was just under 50k

Yup.... this car would be a blast with a 500hp engine.....

They told me 6 to 7 month wait to order the 500hp version
I didn't have 7 months to wait, and the Alfa Romeo reliability is a crapshoot....

I was looking for a car to buy, and keep for at least 6-7 years.....as I am 56, and must retire....

In the end, I got a pretty good deal on a 2016 Lexus GS F....

Really happy with it.....

But the Alfa is a pretty nice car...........

Shelly
Old 03-08-2017, 09:40 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 OB Black AMG c63s
Its a gorgeous car, but the V6 exhaust sound won't turn heads like a V8 Merc.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by otakki
I would have done the same if it wasn't for Alfa's well known history of poor reliability. Let's see how reliable the thing is in a year or two.
Mercedes doesn't have anything to brag about. Initial 2-3 year quality on the C redesign has been horrible. Look at all the threads on this forum about issues with our AMGs! I love my car.... and it is an absolute piece of junk when it comes to build quality. A "beautiful looking" interior on a cheaply built platform/car.

Given how much I hate going to a dealer for service, I certainly will not jump on the Alfa wagon until I see a track record of quality. It is exciting though to see more competition; I think BMW and Mercedes are too busy focusing on the volume bandwagon that perhaps the Alfa can steal some market share and restore some soul to the segment.

I do think the new Panamera looks awesome too, especially the gran touring version. I would put it as my #1 contender for when my warranty expires on my AMG.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 AM

nothing
Originally Posted by tripitz
Mercedes doesn't have anything to brag about. Initial 2-3 year quality on the C redesign has been horrible. Look at all the threads on this forum about issues with our AMGs! I love my car.... and it is an absolute piece of junk when it comes to build quality. A "beautiful looking" interior on a cheaply built platform/car.

Given how much I hate going to a dealer for service, I certainly will not jump on the Alfa wagon until I see a track record of quality. It is exciting though to see more competition; I think BMW and Mercedes are too busy focusing on the volume bandwagon that perhaps the Alfa can steal some market share and restore some soul to the segment.

I do think the new Panamera looks awesome too, especially the gran touring version. I would put it as my #1 contender for when my warranty expires on my AMG.
What is your definition of build quality? Are things falling apart or the materials wearing out fast on the c63s?

When I think of build quality, I'm thinking of small and uniform lines on the interior/exterior panels, quality materials that feel and look good, sound insulation/deadening, doors feel good when shut, etc.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E 250cdi 4matic '13
I think it's pretty obvious that Alfa Romeo is going to have a hard time in the US,due to the lack of relaibility and the bad name heritage of the old days, but let me say one thing: park your german or american sedan/suv in the AR's parking lot and give it a try,you won't be disappointed!
I really hope Giulia&Stelvio will convince you all to buy them,the driving pleasure is top notch and the Quadrifoglio is astonishing; I'm not an Alfa fanboy but I'm a patriot who think that we,as italians, should give a better insight of our beatiful country and these two cars are a perfect example of what we're capable of!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Porsche
Originally Posted by shoe3k
What is your definition of build quality? Are things falling apart or the materials wearing out fast on the c63s?

When I think of build quality, I'm thinking of small and uniform lines on the interior/exterior panels, quality materials that feel and look good, sound insulation/deadening, doors feel good when shut, etc.
Go read the forums to what "quality" means for the owners. Like I said, my car is made of nice materials that are installed in a very poor manner. What good is my leather dash when there is a nasty cold weather squeak that can be heard 100% of the time over any slight bump (AND cannot be fixed by the volume play dealers in my metro area). What good is a panoramic roof that vibrates like mad at 80+mph due to suction or over every bump. What good is my nice roof liner when the center console rattles. What good is my "burmester radio" when there are distortion sounds during phone calls, rattles when on the road, or makes random buzzing noises that cannot be diagnosed by my local dealer. What is quality when your e-diff randomly reports errors. Why does my collision warning come on ALL the time for no reason? What is quality when your coolant just disappears. Ever look at the garbage head bolts used on previous-gen engines? Horrible engineering.

You talk about fit and finish? My rear bumper does not fit properly. The paint chips instantly on these cars. So does the front window. My brother's C has horrible paint quality. Rough edges comparable to what a cheap respray would result in. This is from the factory. I could go on...

All of these numerous issues just completely detract from the ownership experience. It's annoying.

I've owned 4 Porsches. There is no comparison. This car is by FAR the worst put together piece of rubbish I have ever owned at ANY price point. That includes American cars from the late 80s and 90s.

The poor build quality of the C is a FACT. Look at the stats from pretty much any site that tracks issues/repairs/etc. Mercedes is playing a volume game.

Before you say I should go sell the car.. I probably would at this point. I regret this purchase. That being said, I like the driving experience, the functional design which is excellent, and the engine. V8! I will dump this car at warranty end though and take a blood bath on depreciation.

Last edited by tripitz; 03-09-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S

This is absolutely spot on.

Granted I haven't had any issues with my '15 C63S in terms of build quality or issues with warranty work (knock on wood), but what Alfa Romeo lacks right now is the dealer/service network to timely take care of issues.

I have family/friends that have dealt with the service departments of other, more exotic Italian car brands, and while there was nothing out of the norm in terms of quality/workmanship/reliability with the car itself, the main issue was always waiting on the most mundane part to be sourced to get the fix completed. With Mercedes, you don't have to worry about that nearly as much.

If Alfa Romeo can keep this from happening and up their game to anywhere near the level of Mercedes/BMW/etc, I don't see any reason why the Giulia can't be a top contender in this segment.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:37 PM

nothing
Go read the forums to what "quality" means for the owners. Like I said, my car is made of nice materials that are installed in a very poor manner. What good is my leather dash when there is a nasty cold weather squeak that can be heard 100% of the time over any slight bump (AND cannot be fixed by the volume play dealers in my metro area). What good is a panoramic roof that vibrates like mad at 80+mph due to suction or over every bump. What good is my nice roof liner when the center console rattles. What good is my "burmester radio" when there are distortion sounds during phone calls, rattles when on the road, or makes random buzzing noises that cannot be diagnosed by my local dealer. What is quality when your e-diff randomly reports errors. Why does my collision warning come on ALL the time for no reason? What is quality when your coolant just disappears. Ever look at the garbage head bolts used on previous-gen engines? Horrible engineering.

You talk about fit and finish? My rear bumper does not fit properly. The paint chips instantly on these cars. So does the front window. My brother's C has horrible paint quality. Rough edges comparable to what a cheap respray would result in. This is from the factory. I could go on...

All of these numerous issues just completely detract from the ownership experience. It's annoying.

I've owned 4 Porsches. There is no comparison. This car is by FAR the worst put together piece of rubbish I have ever owned at ANY price point. That includes American cars from the late 80s and 90s.

The poor build quality of the C is a FACT. Look at the stats from pretty much any site that tracks issues/repairs/etc. Mercedes is playing a volume game.

Before you say I should go sell the car.. I probably would at this point. I regret this purchase. That being said, I like the driving experience, the functional design which is excellent, and the engine. V8! I will dump this car at warranty end though and take a blood bath on depreciation.
Kinda scaring me away from the C63s.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:46 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
09 C63 AMG

Good info.

I think the front of the AR is hideous. The other angles look good, but I can't get over the front of it.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
To me i dont like the look of the car. Front looks ugly and the back looks like a bmw mixed with a lexus isf (not that its a bad thing). other than that it looks quite promising.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C63s Sedan
Totally agree with Mbm6f and Modio1234, front looks horrible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Giulia Quadrifoglio Delivers Less-Than-Advertised HP