C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 05:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
MY2015 C63S
C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning

Hello everyone.

I thought I would share the recent theft of my 2015 C63s Edition 1 Car with you and the warning of owning a key less car.

The car was stolen in the early hours of the 6th April from Woodford Green in London. I have CCTV and the thief's just walk up to the car, unlocks it and drives it away. I am not sure if they had a copy of the key since the car was in the Loughton dealership 2 weeks back. Or they are the radio codes for my particular car.

Another guy is seen standing in front of our house door, to prevent any interruption of the car being stolen.

It was taking in 60 seconds!!!

Here are the CCTV videos if anyone is interested

Luckily i was able to get an image of the suspect outside the house. Here is the Facebook link for it. Please share it if you live in the UK and especially London.

Facebook Post

I urge anyone who has a key less car to buy an old fashion steering lock. They can be a deterrent for this type of crime.

I had a Mercedes tracker installed (tracker locate) and shortly after realising the car was stolen, I had come to the conclusion that it was the biggest waste of money ever. The tracking company 1st took 2 hours to send the signal to the car to turn on its tracking beacon (as they needed authorisation from the police) and when they did send the signal, there has been to date no response from the car!

If you have the Tracker Locate system on your car, please read up on how that system works and see if it fits your needs especially if the car is stolen. I know of other systems that are active as soon as the ignition has started.

I thought I would share my story. I am pretty gutted to have lost that car.
The following 3 users liked this post by yh007x:
SALES@OETUNING (04-09-2017), tiledhouse (06-18-2018), Uga Uga (04-10-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 05:39 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Mate, sorry to hear of your strife. I hope the *******s choke on their own spit. Dogs of the street for sure.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
That's great that he dropped his hoodie and you had a clear look at him. Car thieves have need to be in prison.

In US MBrace app can track your car once it leaves a prescribed area.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
c292 gle63S, Range Rover LWB
Car is probably in Romania already.

Sorry to hear! Hope everything turns up well for you.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
That really sucks! Good luck getting your baby back...
Old 04-09-2017, 01:29 AM

MY2015 C63S
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
That's great that he dropped his hoodie and you had a clear look at him. Car thieves have need to be in prison.

In US MBrace app can track your car once it leaves a prescribed area.
The command online app is still showing my car outside my house. So they seemed to have disabled or jammed both the GPS and the tracker system. I am annoyed about tracker not being able to locate the car because they say that the VHF network is not suspectable to containers and jammers.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
Sad to hear - I hope your insurance is OK.
Jammers are effective - 600 USD and you can buy handheld jammer which covers all available commercial frequencies.https://www.jammer-store.com/titan-a...-solution.html To make the selling of a stolen car more expensive, I have security marks (windows + invisible markings)http://www.any.hu/en/solutions-2/ide...arking-system/. However nothing can prevent a determined thief - homejackings are rather common here in Europe. Thus better to have a good insurance policy.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S EDITION 1
Another reasons we NEED hand held tuning. I used to put my car in anti theft mode everytime I left it out side. Would help to have this option now with keyless entry
Old 04-09-2017, 08:54 PM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
W205 C63s 2015
First of all , sorry to hear about your car !

Ive also got keyless go, so was really surprised by your article, I never thought people would of been able to get blanks of keys firstly without supplying a vin and then be able to clone your own key secondly !

Does anyone one know how people are doing this ??
Old 04-09-2017, 10:04 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
I know on the BMW side they have an OBD tool they plug in and it can program a blank key to your vehicle. Just bust out driver's window, run your arm next to A pillar and gain access to OBD port. The interior motion detector has a small blind spot and if you do it right, the alarm will not trigger. The OBD ports on most of those models were still powered even with the vehicle off.

But, in the OP's case, I don't think this is what they did. It looks like the guy who waited by the front door had a receiver and basically it increases the range of the key fob from inside the house. Thus, allowing the guy near the vehicle to unlock it and drive off.

There is videos on YouTube of how both these methods work. Easiest way is to park inside of garage if you have one at your home, or simply remove the keyless go start button. (Won't do much if they have their own button, but still worth a shot)
Old 04-10-2017, 02:29 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
They aren't using key blanks. They're hijacking the unlock frequency your keyfob uses to unlock/lock the car, and you aren't aware of their presence at the time... http://www.techlicious.com/blog/hack...r-radio-tools/

This is a known vulnerability in many of the new keyless entry vehicles, and none of the manufacturers have addressed this security vulnerability to my knowledge.

There are also China-sourced handheld devices that robbers can use by plugging into your OBD2 Port and disabling any factory/OEM ignition kill/immobilizer/alarm system, and start the engine. I saw this operate in real time on a show on the National Geographic Channel.

As for locator devices, the factory units aren't adequate, because anyone who's half decent and is looking to steal a high end car like a C63 will know what factory features it has, and how to disable it. The aforementioned show mentions how they have insiders they can call and actually remotely disable your factory immobilizer.

Best thing I can think of (short of parking indoors) is to have a tracker with geofencing, meaning anytime the vehicle is moved from the limited location you specify (whether it's driven, towed, or whatever), the tracker is activated and sends you an alarm.

OP, sorry for your loss...
Old 04-10-2017, 03:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
polarwhite AMG C63s W205
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
They aren't using key blanks. They're hijacking the unlock frequency your keyfob uses to unlock/lock the car, and you aren't aware of their presence at the time... http://www.techlicious.com/blog/hack...r-radio-tools/

This is a known vulnerability in many of the new keyless entry vehicles, and none of the manufacturers have addressed this security vulnerability to my knowledge.

There are also China-sourced handheld devices that robbers can use by plugging into your OBD2 Port and disabling any factory/OEM ignition kill/immobilizer/alarm system, and start the engine. I saw this operate in real time on a show on the National Geographic Channel.

As for locator devices, the factory units aren't adequate, because anyone who's half decent and is looking to steal a high end car like a C63 will know what factory features it has, and how to disable it. The aforementioned show mentions how they have insiders they can call and actually remotely disable your factory immobilizer.

Best thing I can think of (short of parking indoors) is to have a tracker with geofencing, meaning anytime the vehicle is moved from the limited location you specify (whether it's driven, towed, or whatever), the tracker is activated and sends you an alarm.

Tracker does not work if thieves have a jammer-device.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 AM

MY2015 C63S
Originally Posted by SuckaGDog
But, in the OP's case, I don't think this is what they did. It looks like the guy who waited by the front door had a receiver and basically it increases the range of the key fob from inside the house. Thus, allowing the guy near the vehicle to unlock it and drive off.
worth a shot)
No i am not sure if this is the case. The Keys are kept far away from the front of those house. And actually the guy unlocks the car before the second guy is at my front door.

What FDNewbie has said does make sense "They're hijacking the unlock frequency your keyfob uses to unlock/lock the car"

However I typically lock the car using the handfree locking, rather than pressing the lock button on the remote. My belief is that they had someone on the dealer network involved. The car was in the Loughton Garage a week before it was stolen. They disabled the command online GPS (or jammed it) and the tracker signal has still not reached the car. And the tracking company are advising that their tech is resilient to jamming devices.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts
18 E63S
Remove keyless go button .
When locking vehicle hit lock button 2 times till you here the horn chirp twice and flash a red light on fob twice .
Now the signal from your key fob is deactivated.
Do the same to your spare key fob.
Every time you go somewhere or home,must keep doing this so that they can not amplify your key fob signal to steal your car.
The following 3 users liked this post by tekfoc:
Erkybaby (08-01-2017), FDNewbie (04-10-2017), tiledhouse (06-18-2018)
Old 04-10-2017, 07:17 AM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by yh007x
No i am not sure if this is the case. The Keys are kept far away from the front of those house. And actually the guy unlocks the car before the second guy is at my front door.

What FDNewbie has said does make sense "They're hijacking the unlock frequency your keyfob uses to unlock/lock the car"

However I typically lock the car using the handfree locking, rather than pressing the lock button on the remote. My belief is that they had someone on the dealer network involved. The car was in the Loughton Garage a week before it was stolen. They disabled the command online GPS (or jammed it) and the tracker signal has still not reached the car. And the tracking company are advising that their tech is resilient to jamming devices.
Sounds like a inside job
Go to dealer let them know about it
Old 04-10-2017, 07:44 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series

Lol, that article describes exactly what I just said. I think that is what happened in this case. Because it makes no sense for the other guy to wait by the front door. It also increases the chance for confrontation or being caught. (Perp got his pic taken on camera). If you had an insider source you a spare key or whatever you will be out of there quick enough before anyone noticed. I still believe they used the amplifier radio thing in this situation.
Originally Posted by yh007x

Your key doesn't need to be near the front door. If it is within range 50 feet or less~ the amplifier the thieves use will pick it up and extend the range. The article FDNewbie explains in great detail. Those trackers are pretty much useless. We have LoJack here in the states and they are easily defeated. You can pick up a frequency jammer for those with a simple search on Google. These can also be used to help locate the tracking module inside the car for it to be unplugged.

Lastly, you can remove the antenna on top of the roof and the entire MBrace system is rendered useless. I know when my buddy's M5 was stolen the shark fin (antenna) for BMW Assist on the roof of the car was completely ripped off. They noticed this when the car was recovered two weeks later totaled. BMW Assist could never establish connection with the car.

Sorry for the loss OP. Do keep us updated with any further info you get.

Last edited by SuckaGDog; 04-10-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:22 AM

MY2015 C63S
Lol, that article describes exactly what I just said. I think that is what happened in this case. Because it makes no sense for the other guy to wait by the front door. It also increases the chance for confrontation or being caught. (Perp got his pic taken on camera). If you had an insider source you a spare key or whatever you will be out of there quick enough before anyone noticed. I still believe they used the amplifier radio thing in this situation.

Your key doesn't need to be near the front door. If it is within range 50 feet or less~ the amplifier the thieves use will pick it up and extend the range. The article FDNewbie explains in great detail. Those trackers are pretty much useless. We have LoJack here in the states and they are easily defeated. You can pick up a frequency jammer for those with a simple search on Google. These can also be used to help locate the tracking module inside the car for it to be unplugged.

Lastly, you can remove the antenna on top of the roof and the entire MBrace system is rendered useless. I know when my buddy's M5 was stolen the shark fin (antenna) for BMW Assist on the roof of the car was completely ripped off. They noticed this when the car was recovered two weeks later totaled. BMW Assist could never establish connection with the car.

Sorry for the loss OP. Do keep us updated with any further info you get.
Again if you look at the video the guys enters the car FIRST before the guy reaches the front door. I believe the guy at the front door was there to prevent any interruption for the their. Hold the door closed or threating us if we did open the door.

They don't tell you how easy the tracker devices are to overcome when they are being sold to you.

I have a call with Mercedes planned today, just waiting on a call back.

Last edited by yh007x; 04-10-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by tekfoc
When locking vehicle hit lock button 2 times till you here the horn chirp twice and flash a red light on fob twice .
Every time you go somewhere or home,must keep doing this so that they can not amplify your key fob signal to steal your car.
Never knew this. I tried it today and approached car and nothing until I pressed fob to open. So with fob "off" this defeats the amplifier method and door would stay locked.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:43 PM

18 E63S
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
Never knew this. I tried it today and approached car and nothing until I pressed fob to open. So with fob "off" this defeats the amplifier method and door would stay locked.
ABSOLUTELY THIEF has his amp in his rear end instead cause its worthless now.
just do the same for your spare fob. also extends battery life on fob.

just to let you know every time you unlock your vehicle the fob [aka- using the fob manually] and car are in sink so the codes are constantly changing together.

Last edited by tekfoc; 04-10-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C63s Sedan
Sorry to hear about your ride man. Those videos are scary.

I did a little research and it seems this is much more prevalent in EU than is the USA... but another way to protect yourself is by putting your key fob in a protective sleeve or bag.

Just do a Google search or Amazon search and there are plenty to choose from. Anywhere from $10 to $30 for a pouch.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by tekfoc
That's pretty good info. Thanks for that. So basically now they can't remotely unlock the car or disable the security system? They need to have a key to enter?

Originally Posted by Rippe
Tracker does not work if thieves have a jammer-device.
Is there a way around it? Eg once the tracker "loses a signal" ie by the jammer, it immediately goes into alarm/notify mode?

I know some trackers have other options like ignition kill, fuel cutoff, oil cutoff, etc. Maybe if there's a way to have these in "kill" mode by default when armed, and manually disabled when disarmed? Just a thought...

We have LoJack here in the states and they are easily defeated. You can pick up a frequency jammer for those with a simple search on Google. These can also be used to help locate the tracking module inside the car for it to be unplugged.
Got a link for this? I thought one of the advantages of LoJack was it's a radio frequency, so you don't need a GPS signal at all (and thus isn't affected by GPS jammers)?

Originally Posted by Palpatine
I did a little research and it seems this is much more prevalent in EU than is the USA... but another way to protect yourself is by putting your key fob in a protective sleeve or bag.

Just do a Google search or Amazon search and there are plenty to choose from. Anywhere from $10 to $30 for a pouch.
You're not talking about just a simple rubber keyfob protector, are you? I'm guessing you're referring to something that protects it from anyone trying to communicate with the keyfob? Never heard of this...
Old 04-10-2017, 07:16 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Does it matter that he opened the door before the second guy was at the door. Is it possible that the second guy could have picked up the signal from the fob further out away from the door? That would be my guess. Guy tries the door handle while other guy goes around the house until he gets signal since they don't really know where the keys are in the house.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:17 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
That's pretty good info. Thanks for that. So basically now they can't remotely unlock the car or disable the security system? They need to have a key to enter?

Is there a way around it? Eg once the tracker "loses a signal" ie by the jammer, it immediately goes into alarm/notify mode?

I know some trackers have other options like ignition kill, fuel cutoff, oil cutoff, etc. Maybe if there's a way to have these in "kill" mode by default when armed, and manually disabled when disarmed? Just a thought...

Got a link for this? I thought one of the advantages of LoJack was it's a radio frequency, so you don't need a GPS signal at all (and thus isn't affected by GPS jammers)?

You're not talking about just a simple rubber keyfob protector, are you? I'm guessing you're referring to something that protects it from anyone trying to communicate with the keyfob? Never heard of this...
probably something similar to the RFID cards. There are metallic sleeves that you can slide over it to keep it from getting a signal out when it's not supposed to.

also you can jam radio frequencies just as easy.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C63s Sedan

Faraday cages/bags:
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-10-2017, 07:54 PM

Ah. Not exactly a keyfob glove/case. But more like a pouch.

This sucks. I thought trackers were the way to go...

Can't even protect the cars in a garage either, cuz the garage door frequency can be stolen as well...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63s Edition 1 Stolen - Key Less Owners Warning