C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with my week old C63S - transmission and headlamp??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E63S
Problems with my week old C63S - transmission and headlamp??

Hey, so I'm wondering if you guys can help me out with this.
After six months waiting for my Brilliant blue C63S sedan, equipped just how I wanted it, the car started showing issues after only a couple of days driving it.

Problem 1: "check front right sidemarker lamp"

This came up when I drove it into the garage and the message came on. I checked the lamp after I parked and it truly wasn't going on on the right side while the one on the left was working normally. After a few hours, I'd turn the car back on and it would be working fine, but it would at times be inoperable.

I took the car in, and they replaced a faulty front right headlamp module. They drop the car off, and as soon as I drive it into the garage, the same problem arises. I call my service advisor and he tells me to bring it in tomorrow so they can replace the entire headlamp. In the back of my mind I always knew that was probably going to have to happen to actually get it fixed.

Problem 2:

Yesterday, I drove my C63 to the dealership after it being dropped off to me because I had to get my C450 which was at the collision center fixing a small ding. As I parked the car, I was about to engage the transmission into reverse, and the car just shut off. It stalled as if it were a manual car. The car was in sport mode, and I had filled the gas tank 10-15 minutes prior because the car was about to run out of fuel. Since I was at the dealership, my salesperson got in the car with me and we drove around and did a couple things switching the gears between reverse and drive and he would observe the dips in the rpm and everything seemed normal. A friend of mine who has both a W204 and W205 C63, told me it was normal and it happened with both of his cars once. I was told not to worry by everyone, and when they replaced the headlamp module they also ran a multi-point inspection where nothing out of the usual came up. If there was something serious with the car, something would've came up there. This morning, 30 minutes ago, I'm driving into a parking garage and I pull into a space to the left which is right in the middle of a ramp. As I drove into the garage, I was getting the car from Sport+ mode into Individual (which is pretty much Sport with the exhaust valves on sport+) so it cycled through Sport and Comfort before I got to individual. As I did that the car was creeping forward and after I set it to individual I pulled the car in. Then, as I stopped the car, the car stalls again. It just shuts off. The instrument cluster's icons all went off and the gear said it was in Drive. Then I put my foot on the brake and powered the car back on and everything was fine. All the temperatures were in the correct and appropriate range, in both occasions. My friend with his C63 said that as this car has a multi-clutch transmission made to handle more power, I should be giving it more gas or else the car will shut off and stall. I'm used to just not even touching the gas when parking like I did with the C450 when it was my daily driver. It has never happened to me when waiting on a red light however. I drive it usually in sport mode aggressively (staying under 4500 rpm at most times to respect the break-in period) so I give it enough gas when driving, but not when parking. I really treat this car like a baby.

I'm extremely frustrated, the car has only 140 miles and it's presenting these issues. I'm treating the car like a baby and don't want anything to be seriously wrong with the car. I can try to get this car called a lemon and get a new one, but I don't want a new one. I waited 6 months for this exact build to come in. I don't want to wait another 6 months to get another car, nor do I want some black or grey or white that just blends in. I love my car, I don't want anything like this to happen to it. I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on what to do. I'm planning on getting this checked out tomorrow when they replace the headlamp. Thanks everyone
Old 04-21-2017, 10:11 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 C63 Coupe
I think the only thing you can do is take it in and see what they find.

I have another type of transmission issue albeit really really minor (not even sure if it is a problem) but when I am coming out of the ECO stop, I step on the gas, the car won't move much almost like if I am in between gears or clutch slipping. I have to step the gas harder for it to start moving. This does not always happen. Just sometimes.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
"Giving it more gas" should never been a solution to anything in this day and age with an automatic and your friends logic to put more foot in to it is preposterous. With that said, I know it's frustrating with a brand new vehicle, but I would personally be chalking this up to electrical gremlins that will work themselves out. Two times wouldn't be a consistent problem for me at this point personally. I would however advise to get to know a dedicated service adviser and relay every instance to him/her going forward to keep things consistent and documented should things go downhill further.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:48 AM

2020 E63S
Thank you for the replies, I do think that just giving the car more gas isn't the way to fix it, because I don't think the transmission should even be doing this in the first place. In automatic mode, the car shouldn't stall. In manual mode it shouldn't either, the car should stay idle if no gas is given. I do think it could be a fuel pump problem where the auxiliary pump has to be replaced or something, or maybe the gasoline that I put (it was a sketchy gas station) was possibly not up to par with the quality it should have. My car was about to run out of gas and I had no other choice but to fill it up at the closest gas station. But the fuel pump may be the problem as the car shut off on an incline this second time.

Yes, it happening two times isn't enough to call it a huge problem but I'm starting to think it might not be an isolated issue if it keeps happening. I am super upset with the fact that a brand new car like this has all these issues already. I'm going to bring it in tomorrow and see what's going on with it, I'm hoping for the best
Old 04-21-2017, 11:03 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,323 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Smells like a lemon but you need more time to tell
Old 04-21-2017, 11:09 AM

2020 E63S
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Smells like a lemon but you need more time to tell
What should I do if it is? Will they just give me a replacement car that they have on the lot? Or am I going to have to wait for an identical one to arrive after 4-6 months? I don't want a car with different colors and specs but I also don't want to wait for months for a new identical one to come. And I don't want to be driving a lemon around for months. What would they do? If they give me a C63 to drive until an identical one comes in that's fine by me.

There's a guy on YouTube that had a C450 and it was a lemon and they gave him a deal where they'd give him a new C63 as a replacement instead of another C450, I'll try to find him and ask how he made that happen but if they give me a new E63 as a replacement that's fine by me too

I just have never been in this situation before and I don't know what to do in the event that it is a lemon. I'm really hoping it isn't and that whatever is wrong gets fixed and then I have no problems from here on out though.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by ggonzaga
What should I do if it is? Will they just give me a replacement car that they have on the lot? Or am I going to have to wait for an identical one to arrive after 4-6 months? I don't want a car with different colors and specs but I also don't want to wait for months for a new identical one to come. And I don't want to be driving a lemon around for months. What would they do? If they give me a C63 to drive until an identical one comes in that's fine by me.

There's a guy on YouTube that had a C450 and it was a lemon and they gave him a deal where they'd give him a new C63 as a replacement instead of another C450, I'll try to find him and ask how he made that happen but if they give me a new E63 as a replacement that's fine by me too

I just have never been in this situation before and I don't know what to do in the event that it is a lemon. I'm really hoping it isn't and that whatever is wrong gets fixed and then I have no problems from here on out though.

I would make sure the dealer documents all your concerns and just keep driving it for a few hundred miles.
I have had some warnings and unusual things happen mostly near start of my ownership and they never come back.
keep a log on these items and learn the idiosyncrasy of the car and especially the trans.
Never drive in C unless you grandmother is with you
S+ and loud and enjoy.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:19 PM

2020 E63S
Update time

Brought it in this morning, they replaced the headlamp and not a problem with that. But as for the engine they were not able to find anything wrong with the car whatsoever. They thought it could be a fuel related problem which would make sense because the car started acting up around 15 minutes after I filled the gas tank at this sketchy Chevron gas station and my car was pretty much about to run out of gas (which is why I stopped at a shady Chevron which was the closest place to me). However if it was fuel related we'd be getting misfire error messages and what not. I was given a Mercedes Benz fuel additive and was instructed to drive my car until it's out of gas and then fill it up at a Mobil or Shell (places I usually go to and never have trouble) and add the fuel additive to the tank. If nothing else happens to the car after that, problem solved. If not, then we can rule out fuel related problems and move on with another hypothesis. My service advisor told me that we could possibly do a software update or reinstall which could most likely get this fixed, but he wants to hear the thoughts of the service manager who's very good with technical stuff of that sort and he'll be back Monday. I'm hoping that we can fix this from the fuel thing or the software update because I don't want to live with this headache for longer. What do you guys think? If you guys can ask your local service advisors about my situation I'd appreciate it, would love to see some second opinions maybe it could be of help.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by ggonzaga
Update time

Brought it in this morning, they replaced the headlamp and not a problem with that. But as for the engine they were not able to find anything wrong with the car whatsoever. They thought it could be a fuel related problem which would make sense because the car started acting up around 15 minutes after I filled the gas tank at this sketchy Chevron gas station and my car was pretty much about to run out of gas (which is why I stopped at a shady Chevron which was the closest place to me). However if it was fuel related we'd be getting misfire error messages and what not. I was given a Mercedes Benz fuel additive and was instructed to drive my car until it's out of gas and then fill it up at a Mobil or Shell (places I usually go to and never have trouble) and add the fuel additive to the tank. If nothing else happens to the car after that, problem solved. If not, then we can rule out fuel related problems and move on with another hypothesis. My service advisor told me that we could possibly do a software update or reinstall which could most likely get this fixed, but he wants to hear the thoughts of the service manager who's very good with technical stuff of that sort and he'll be back Monday. I'm hoping that we can fix this from the fuel thing or the software update because I don't want to live with this headache for longer. What do you guys think? If you guys can ask your local service advisors about my situation I'd appreciate it, would love to see some second opinions maybe it could be of help.
They gave you good advice--just drive and go thru fuel and see what happens and if still happening do the soft wear update.

remember keep it out of C as its not the place to BE.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:05 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Except for the fact that he is in the break-in period. It might be smart to keep it in comfort mode that way you can limit the revs. Way too easy to go above 4500 in any other mode
Old 04-23-2017, 06:48 PM

2020 E63S
I've been driving it in Sport and Comfort these past couple of days because of heavier rain. When I drove it in comfort it even went into the 'sailing mode' which I thought was something wrong with my car but my salesperson told me otherwise. Since Friday night, I've had no stalling or anything with the car. I'm going to finish the gas tank and fill it up with gas at a station that I can trust and add the additive. Then I'll know for sure if I can rule out bad gas as being the culprit.

And in Sport mode, it's pretty easy to keep it under 4500 rpm. Just don't mash the throttle and it'll behave itself. Only reason I don't drive it all the time in Comfort is because I like the throttle response of S and S+.