Help choosing between the c43 and c63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 03:01 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C43 Coupe
Help choosing between the c43 and c63s

Hello everyone,

After many test drives and car options I've landed on MB. Both the c43 and c63s are absolutely beautiful cars but there's a few differences Im struggling with both, hoping you guys can push me over the fence. I live in an area with moderate snow during our winter months and this will also be my daily driver. Price isn't an issue and the coupe is the style I'd get.

The c43 was my original choice, the 4matic is more practical as a daily driver as well as better MPG. The V6 in this car is stunning especially with the PE, I'd be getting it fully loaded. I'm coming from a 4cylinder 2.0 turbo with 274hp FWD so this car offers a lot more power and I'd be most likely getting the Renntech tune to boost it over 400hp.

Then I test drove the c63s. Wow, this car is an animal. I wasn't able to test drive the model with the PE on it but the V8 still sounded amazing. They wouldn't let me throw it into race mode which was probably for my own good but even in sport + the car handled amazing and the power was just fantastic. I like the wider body on the c63s for sure, and I also like the black rims from the factory as an option (although I know it's easy enough to just get aftermarket wheels for the c43). I feel like this car has almost too much power for a daily driver though and in the winter I'd have to get snow tires and storing a pair is a pain.

So..

C43
More practical for daily driver
4matic with good all season tires
Plenty of power after chip

C63s
Better looking body
Real AMG

What do you guys think?
Old 05-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by Vincent Aiosa
Hello everyone,

After many test drives and car options I've landed on MB. Both the c43 and c63s are absolutely beautiful cars but there's a few differences Im struggling with both, hoping you guys can push me over the fence. I live in an area with moderate snow during our winter months and this will also be my daily driver. Price isn't an issue and the coupe is the style I'd get.

The c43 was my original choice, the 4matic is more practical as a daily driver as well as better MPG. The V6 in this car is stunning especially with the PE, I'd be getting it fully loaded. I'm coming from a 4cylinder 2.0 turbo with 274hp FWD so this car offers a lot more power and I'd be most likely getting the Renntech tune to boost it over 400hp.

Then I test drove the c63s. Wow, this car is an animal. I wasn't able to test drive the model with the PE on it but the V8 still sounded amazing. They wouldn't let me throw it into race mode which was probably for my own good but even in sport + the car handled amazing and the power was just fantastic. I like the wider body on the c63s for sure, and I also like the black rims from the factory as an option (although I know it's easy enough to just get aftermarket wheels for the c43). I feel like this car has almost too much power for a daily driver though and in the winter I'd have to get snow tires and storing a pair is a pain.

So..

C43

C63s
Better looking body
Real AMG

What do you guys think?
These cars belong in two different segments and offer a completely different driving experience. Only get the c63 if that is what you really want, which usually means no hesitation. DO NOT get it if you are looking for a showoff factor or the "real AMG stigma" because the c43 is a very good car. I already know that the c43 is for you since you mention mpg, too much power, and the winter months. The thing about the c63 is that it's a car that you immediately want and not something you try to talk yourself out of.

The c63, m3, quadrifoglio, and ats-v all belong in this segment because it is for a particular crowd. From personal experience, I'm coming from a B8.5 S4 because I was looking for more in a car and only shopped between the M3, Quadrifoglio, and C63s because that is the driving experience these cars offered.

PS - Since money is no objection, why not spring for the e43 since is in the ballpark price as the c63 and is a very good daily driver.

Last edited by shoe3k; 05-07-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
search is your friend--check out the C43 and C63 forums as this has been talked to death
Old 05-07-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 C63 Coupe
Not sure if this will help you but I had both the C43 and C63s in the same year. If I had to do it all over again, I would have stuck with the C43. The reason being for practicality. MPG is great for that much power and weight. It is AWD. The engine sounds amazing. It whip cracks on high rpm upshifts. And many times cheaper than the C63s. With a tune, you can get close to the base C63's power and all that with AWD.

C63s is a beast and I found myself not able to use all its power on a daily drive. Perhaps only on the freeway. And I have to be extra cautious as I can't just smash the gas and go. No cracks on upshifts and you can't hear the exhaust as well as on the C43 ( both with PE ). This is probably because C43 has a higher pitch then the C63s rumble. I am pretty sure people next or behind can hear it though

I hope that helps somewhat.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:24 AM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by shoe3k
These cars belong in two different segments and offer a completely different driving experience. Only get the c63 if that is what you really want, which usually means no hesitation. DO NOT get it if you are looking for a showoff factor or the "real AMG stigma" because the c43 is a very good car. I already know that the c43 is for you since you mention mpg, too much power, and the winter months. The thing about the c63 is that it's a car that you immediately want and not something you try to talk yourself out of.

The c63, m3, quadrifoglio, and ats-v all belong in this segment because it is for a particular crowd. From personal experience, I'm coming from a B8.5 S4 because I was looking for more in a car and only shopped between the M3, Quadrifoglio, and C63s because that is the driving experience these cars offered.

PS - Since money is no objection, why not spring for the e43 since is in the ballpark price as the c63 and is a very good daily driver.
I was originally actually looking into those 4 (m3, c63, quad and ats-v) but for some reason AWD continues to be the only thing holding me back from making a decision. As far as the e43 goes it's a great car but I wanted a Coupe because the back of them appeal to me much more then the sedan so that's out but good suggestion.

The exhaust on these cars and the interior is what continues to draw me to MB. I test drove a BMW M240i last week, car is extremely fast and nimble but the interior is dull and lacks excitement, and the exhaust note doesn't hold a candle to the c43.

Might also be worth noting the c43 has a higher insurance premium over the c63s by almost another $1000 a year. I wonder why that is...
Old 05-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
I was originally actually looking into those 4 (m3, c63, quad and ats-v) but for some reason AWD continues to be the only thing holding me back from making a decision. As far as the e43 goes it's a great car but I wanted a Coupe because the back of them appeal to me much more then the sedan so that's out but good suggestion.

The exhaust on these cars and the interior is what continues to draw me to MB. I test drove a BMW M240i last week, car is extremely fast and nimble but the interior is dull and lacks excitement, and the exhaust note doesn't hold a candle to the c43.

Might also be worth noting the c43 has a higher insurance premium over the c63s by almost another $1000 a year. I wonder why that is...
I know everyone on this forums hates audis but they are always great daily drivers. The Audi s6 has the v8 you are looking for 450hp and a great looking interior it also has the 1200w sound system that makes ours sound like a Bluetooth speaker. I would also say that the build quality and reliability on the audis are better than my c63s.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:41 AM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Modio1234
I know everyone on this forums hates audis but they are always great daily drivers. The Audi s6 has the v8 you are looking for 450hp and a great looking interior it also has the 1200w sound system that makes ours sound like a Bluetooth speaker. I would also say that the build quality and reliability on the audis are better than my c63s.

That's a good idea, I'll check out Audi soon. AWD, good power etc. if it doesn't sound like the c43 with the PE though I'll walk away lmao.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:04 PM

nothing

I hear yeah. The the C43 will carry more insurance premium because there will be more buyers for it compared to the c63s. My insurance didn't go up jumping from the S4 to C63s when I checked my quote with Geico, which was a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by shoe3k; 05-07-2017 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
Hello everyone,

So..

C43

C63s
Better looking body
Real AMG

What do you guys think?
Why would the C63S not be a more practical daily driver? I drive my car everyday and in comfort you can drive it like a camry. The power is there waiting to be used but it doesn't constantly remind you of the muscle it has with a bunch of jerking. It's really not until you put the car in sport, sport+ or race mode that you get the full attention of the car. Otherwise, it is certainly suitable for daily. Hell, use the "sail mode" and you'll be surprised at the MPG you can get.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Bmw
Test drove the c43 and I left a deposit for a my018 c63s coupe. The c43 was great till I got on the highway. I was very disappointed as it didn't feel like it has 350hp. For reference, I came from a smaller BMW coupe which puts down 400whp. I guess for me, there's no replacement for the v8 sound and the displacement. Another factor is and it might offend people. Is that a c43 isn't a true "Amg". It's like a Beemer with M package. Not a real "M.

Ray
Old 05-07-2017, 08:02 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by AMGTown
Why would the C63S not be a more practical daily driver? I drive my car everyday and in comfort you can drive it like a camry. The power is there waiting to be used but it doesn't constantly remind you of the muscle it has with a bunch of jerking. It's really not until you put the car in sport, sport+ or race mode that you get the full attention of the car. Otherwise, it is certainly suitable for daily. Hell, use the "sail mode" and you'll be surprised at the MPG you can get.
I can understand that, but RWD without snow tires is impossible for the winter days with snow and slush on the ground. Also, it's definitely nice to have the power but I feel the only way I'd even get to enjoy it is on the days where the parkways are somewhat empty which is almost never here lol.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:05 PM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rayc63s
Test drove the c43 and I left a deposit for a my018 c63s coupe. The c43 was great till I got on the highway. I was very disappointed as it didn't feel like it has 350hp. For reference, I came from a smaller BMW coupe which puts down 400whp. I guess for me, there's no replacement for the v8 sound and the displacement. Another factor is and it might offend people. Is that a c43 isn't a true "Amg". It's like a Beemer with M package. Not a real "M.

Ray
I feel like after the piggyback chip it'll be just fine on the highways. As far as the V8 sound yeah it's nice but the V6 in the 43 still sounds great. A lot of thunder just no growl. The whole "True AMG" thing is pure gimmick and for purists, as far as I'm concerned these engines go under extensive testing before they're put out there, sure they're mass produced but I don't feel like it matters at all.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Bmw
A c63s won't even be an option for you if you aren't willing to get a dedicated set of snow tires. It's not only dangerous for yourself but everybody else around you as well.
That a side, it say something when you have to tune a brand new car just to be satisfied with it. The c63s is a much better platform for the future if you do decide to mod it.
Amg is no gimmick but the c43 does offers plenty from the Amg division. The c63s just offers more, faster tranny, e-diff, dynamic engine mount, hand built motor if that matters for you.
The c63s might be an over kill for the average day to day driving but it's good to know it's there when you need it.

Ray
Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG C63
Originally Posted by Rayc63s
Amg is no gimmick...
This^^^
Old 05-07-2017, 11:04 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
Get the c43. You're convinced from the sounds of it. If you think AMG is a gimmick, which it's not and never has been, then don't buy the c63.

If you don't appreciate the c63 for what it is then it's a waste of money for you. You'll be the person that continually can't figure out how to get traction. Sounds like you're better off with AWD. Good luck with the purchase.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:22 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
I feel like after the piggyback chip it'll be just fine on the highways. As far as the V8 sound yeah it's nice but the V6 in the 43 still sounds great. A lot of thunder just no growl. The whole "True AMG" thing is pure gimmick and for purists, as far as I'm concerned these engines go under extensive testing before they're put out there, sure they're mass produced but I don't feel like it matters at all.
Get the c43. Great car, suits your needs. Nothing really special. Fits in nicely with the s4/5 market. Just make sure it has the recall work done on the motor.

People with the gimmicky c63, you don't have to worry about the recall.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:39 AM

2018 C43 Coupe
Maybe I mis-worded it but I didn't mean AMG as a brand is a gimmick, I'm just saying that the whole handbuilt engine luxury is a little bit obsessed over. There's no doubt it's a neat touch to your AMG but for me it's not a make or break deal. This would be my first MB, I just want it to be a good experience and that's why I'm here to talk to you guys that actually own one rather then going off critic reviews. Buying time is still a few months away, just trying to do my research now. Appreciate all the help!
Old 05-08-2017, 08:21 AM

nothing
Maybe I mis-worded it but I didn't mean AMG as a brand is a gimmick, I'm just saying that the whole handbuilt engine luxury is a little bit obsessed over. There's no doubt it's a neat touch to your AMG but for me it's not a make or break deal. This would be my first MB, I just want it to be a good experience and that's why I'm here to talk to you guys that actually own one rather then going off critic reviews. Buying time is still a few months away, just trying to do my research now. Appreciate all the help!
The c63 has a lot of differences compared to the c43 and not just the motor. The suspension, transmission, differential, axles, body (longer, wider to accommodate the new track and motor), brakes, wheels, etc. just make this car so different. I like the one man one engine philosophy, but I don't hold it against the c43 because it is a great package and value for what you get. This brings me to my next point.

If you feel comfortable with a c63 purchase, you should look at the e43 instead because as a daily driver you get a whole lot of car and I personally love the e-class. Honestly, if a budget was of no concern to me I would have jumped on getting the e63s but the wife would not be happy about this.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:55 AM

2018 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by shoe3k
The c63 has a lot of differences compared to the c43 and not just the motor. The suspension, transmission, differential, axles, body (longer, wider to accommodate the new track and motor), brakes, wheels, etc. just make this car so different. I like the one man one engine philosophy, but I don't hold it against the c43 because it is a great package and value for what you get. This brings me to my next point.

If you feel comfortable with a c63 purchase, you should look at the e43 instead because as a daily driver you get a whole lot of car and I personally love the e-class. Honestly, if a budget was of no concern to me I would have jumped on getting the e63s but the wife would not be happy about this.
Honestly if the e43 AMG came in a coupe I'd consider it. I'm not a fan of the rear on the sedan and that alone wouldn't make me buy it. I prefer the look of the c-class coupes much more. 😊
Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 AM

nothing
Honestly if the e43 AMG came in a coupe I'd consider it. I'm not a fan of the rear on the sedan and that alone wouldn't make me buy it. I prefer the look of the c-class coupes much more. 😊
Yeah. I forgot you were looking at the coupes. My mistake.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by Modio1234
I had a '13 S6, and it was a GREAT car. I ended up selling at after it got hit by a tractor trailer tire tread doing 80MPH on the highway. Never seemed the same after that. But still miss that car.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Too many
solution = E63 S , not a coupe but a beast and AWD, best of 2 worlds
Old 05-08-2017, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus GS F
Originally Posted by pghc63
solution = E63 S , not a coupe but a beast and AWD, best of 2 worlds

This car will easily top 110k-120k...... if not more.....
Old 05-08-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Too many
2015 used cpo will be around the price of c63 s
Old 05-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
I'm kind of late to the party on your question/thread, but I would keep it simple:
C63
Clear winner if not needing to do winter duty
visually superior in my opinion
better performance stock + potential
would only purchase if had another car for winter
C43
if going to be only vehicle in climate with snow, 4Matic makes this the choice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help choosing between the c43 and c63s