Sponsored by:

Muffler or resonator delete?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
Muffler or resonator delete?

Anyone done this on their car? my car has the standard exhaust (not performance). Curious about drone.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Do a secondary cat delete and get a cat back exhaust.
Old 05-08-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Originally Posted by digitalnav
Anyone done this on their car? my car has the standard exhaust (not performance). Curious about drone.
I would say that if you get rid of the muffler there will be increased drone. The secondary cat delete (no resonators on this car) will add more volume but not in the way of drone since the mufflers take care of the lower frequencies.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:55 AM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by digitalnav
At the end of the month I'm having the rear boxes swapped out for straight pipes on my non-perf. I'm doing it before considering secondary cat delete because a) it's reversible with no damage because the rear boxes connect at the axle, and b) it's only costing £300, so why not
Old 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Well, I tried the muffler delete and it was too loud for me. I'm going to try the secondary delete with standard exhaust, see what that's like.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:05 PM

W205 C63 AMG
I've just had the resonator delete done. Read my thoughts about it here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...exhaust-9.html
Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by Andyroo
Well, I tried the muffler delete and it was too loud for me. I'm going to try the secondary delete with standard exhaust, see what that's like.
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've searched and it appears there haven't been very many people do just the (non-perf exhaust) muffler delete... When you (or anyone that's done this) say it was too loud, was it just the drone at certain rpm's that bothered you?... Or was it so loud all the time it would wake the dead? It seems to me, a simple muffler delete would/should sound similar to the AWE Track exhaust. And it seems everyone that gets that exhaust absolutely loves it. So right now I'm considering trying to find some used stock mufflers, and having a local shop weld in straight pipes where the mufflers were. (I want to keep my set of mufflers, in case I want to swap it back.) I would love the option of a loud/quiet exhaust button, but before I spend $3k+ on a complete system, I thought I might give this a shot.

Anyone have any other input on this?
Old 03-02-2018, 11:54 AM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63Sooner
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've searched and it appears there haven't been very many people do just the (non-perf exhaust) muffler delete... When you (or anyone that's done this) say it was too loud, was it just the drone at certain rpm's that bothered you?... Or was it so loud all the time it would wake the dead? It seems to me, a simple muffler delete would/should sound similar to the AWE Track exhaust. And it seems everyone that gets that exhaust absolutely loves it. So right now I'm considering trying to find some used stock mufflers, and having a local shop weld in straight pipes where the mufflers were. (I want to keep my set of mufflers, in case I want to swap it back.) I would love the option of a loud/quiet exhaust button, but before I spend $3k+ on a complete system, I thought I might give this a shot.

Anyone have any other input on this?
The straight pipes instead of mufflers are a cheap and easy way to get volume gains, whilst also being easy to swap back because the exhaust has a join just past the axle. The problem I had with it though was that it was loud all through the frequencies, which included drone. Drone wasn't too bad, it was just more than I wanted, and it also killed the 'AMG' sound for me, the raspiness and the tunefulness. The stock mufflers are sound tuned very nicely, and without them you just get a blare that's loud whatever throttle input, whatever RPM, without ever sounding nice.

So I put the stock mufflers back and had the secondary cats deleted. This, in my view, is perfect. Low throttle, low RPMs, and you get a nice burble. Motorway speeds are quiet with no drone. There's no drone anywhere in fact! But when you floor it, my god... it's so loud, and the sound is perfect AMG, hard edged just like the old 6.2. My exhaust shop actually put joints on the replacement pipe and the secondary cats so they could just be bolted back in when needed too.

If you're thinking about one versus the other, there's no doubt in my mind that the secondary cat delete is the perfect sound. Even without the switchable exhaust—which I didn't have—it was so easily controlled in volume with the throttle pedal that I never felt i actually needed it. I think it would be foolish to spend £3k+ on an exhaust when this is all you need to do to get it sounding good.

Do the secondary cat delete. You'll love it.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 PM

w205 C63s Sedan
^^^ Yes I've read the secondary cat delete is universally loved here... And it seems right up my alley. And honestly, I'll probably go that route eventually, if I can find a shop that would do it. However before I have anyone start cutting on the downpipes, I may still try the muffler delete anyway... I'm primarily coming from GM v8's, most with full exhaust (headers, w/ or w/o cats, back). Had a stock C6 Z06 with the remote ("mild to wild") that controlled the exhaust flaps. I pretty much kept them open all the time, and I thought it sounded great. I also had an LS2 vette w/ headers, back to Borla stingers... It was crazy loud, but to me, sounded great. (Although it would almost give you a headache on a long drive) So since my perception is almost obnoxiously loud, I was hoping I (or mainly my wife) could tolerate, and would even like, the sound of the muffler delete (despite the drone). But who knows, you're definitely right about the sound of the stock exhaust... You can tell the AMG engineers spent a lot of time getting it exactly how they wanted it. Thank you for the input, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
Old 03-02-2018, 02:24 PM

W205 C63 AMG
^^^ Yes I've read the secondary cat delete is universally loved here... And it seems right up my alley. And honestly, I'll probably go that route eventually, if I can find a shop that would do it. However before I have anyone start cutting on the downpipes, I may still try the muffler delete anyway... I'm primarily coming from GM v8's, most with full exhaust (headers, w/ or w/o cats, back). Had a stock C6 Z06 with the remote ("mild to wild") that controlled the exhaust flaps. I pretty much kept them open all the time, and I thought it sounded great. I also had an LS2 vette w/ headers, back to Borla stingers... It was crazy loud, but to me, sounded great. (Although it would almost give you a headache on a long drive) So since my perception is almost obnoxiously loud, I was hoping I (or mainly my wife) could tolerate, and would even like, the sound of the muffler delete (despite the drone). But who knows, you're definitely right about the sound of the stock exhaust... You can tell the AMG engineers spent a lot of time getting it exactly how they wanted it. Thank you for the input, that's exactly what I wanted to know!
i love an American v8 too, but the muffler delete didn’t sound like that to me. It just blared, almost like it had half the cylinders. All the v8 tone was gone. I was hugely disappointed with it. I can’t stress enough how much better the secondary cat delete was! It’s only few hours’ work, cost me £300. Do it!
Old 03-02-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Here is a quick clip I have from when I was experimenting again a few weeks ago and took the mufflers off after getting a 2nd cat delete.
https://streamable.com/o7rw0
The following users liked this post:
C63Sooner (03-02-2018)
Old 03-02-2018, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 581 Likes on 334 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by Modio1234
Here is a quick clip I have from when I was experimenting again a few weeks ago and took the mufflers off after getting a 2nd cat delete.
Very nice sounds good, I'm looking to do the secondary cat delete on my coupe but not sure If I can find a shop in Chicago willing to do that top weld I've heard its tricky bc of tight space.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:09 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by raudiace4
Very nice sounds good, I'm looking to do the secondary cat delete on my coupe but not sure If I can find a shop in Chicago willing to do that top weld I've heard its tricky bc of tight space.
it’s easy if they weld a flange on from the inside rather than trying to weld the pipe on directly. The replacement pipe just bolts on then.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:39 PM

w205 C63s Sedan
That actually sounds pretty great... Although it's tough doing exhaust sounds justice through headphones or computer speakers. What were your real world thoughts/opinions about the sound?
Old 03-02-2018, 04:40 PM

w205 C63s Sedan
Originally Posted by Andyroo

i love an American v8 too, but the muffler delete didn’t sound like that to me. It just blared, almost like it had half the cylinders. All the v8 tone was gone. I was hugely disappointed with it. I can’t stress enough how much better the secondary cat delete was! It’s only few hours’ work, cost me £300. Do it!
Very good to know! I appreciate the input.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
That actually sounds pretty great... Although it's tough doing exhaust sounds justice through headphones or computer speakers. What were your real world thoughts/opinions about the sound?
I think it sounds great. Since I have the muffler removed and the 2nd cat removed the car has a very deep tone I set off some car alarms just crusing by. The only problems I has with that set up was it was temporary and was just a removed axle back was was just dumping causing the interior to rattle a little bit when accelerating. The car did drone from around 1300-2100 rpm but just above 2100 i was unable to hear the exhaust if I wasnt accelerating hard and just holding speed. Here is another small video I had a few revs inside the car- https://streamable.com/72loy
and this is what I was talking about setting off car alarms when crusing by- https://streamable.com/73dme

Last edited by Modio1234; 03-02-2018 at 06:22 PM.
raudiace4 (07-26-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 01:48 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
I did the secondary cat delete just over a month ago and I love it! Definitely well worth it!!
raudiace4 (07-26-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 W205 C63S, 2015 328i xdrive, 2008 Mercedes R-Class 350, 2009 Hyundai Equus
I have a secondary cat delete with a custom fabricated straight pipe on my car. I can deal with the drone which I don't think its that bad and I love how loud it is. I am planning on going Catless Downpipe with a stage 2 tune with the straight pipe once it gets warmer.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:43 PM

w205 C63s Sedan
I think it sounds great. Since I have the muffler removed and the 2nd cat removed the car has a very deep tone I set off some car alarms just crusing by. The only problems I has with that set up was it was temporary and was just a removed axle back was was just dumping causing the interior to rattle a little bit when accelerating. The car did drone from around 1300-2100 rpm but just above 2100 i was unable to hear the exhaust if I wasnt accelerating hard and just holding speed. Here is another small video I had a few revs inside the car- https://streamable.com/72loy
and this is what I was talking about setting off car alarms when crusing by- https://streamable.com/73dme
That's awesome man.... This sounds like the route I'll most likely want to go eventually (secondary cat and muffler delete, but not dumped haha). Thanks for the clips!
Old 03-04-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 Benz C63S Coupe
I did secondary cat delete and AWE track exhaust.... Love it.... I will do EC tune and catless dp’s in the summer..... Can’t wait for that....

Old 11-19-2019, 11:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG!
What tune did you have to get the rev limit so high? And it sounds so good!!!!