C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dime Racing Carbon Fiber Airbox System Release

Old 05-31-2017, 06:45 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dime Racing Carbon Fiber Airbox System Release

Here at Dime Racing, we are always trying to raise the bar. After years of testing and development, we are proud to release the latest addition to our M177 parts lineup, the Dime Racing M177 Carbon Fiber Airbox System.

One of the major restrictions of the M177 engine is the factory airbox and one the common complaints with the C63 after simple modifications is the power drop at high RPM's. This power drop results in slower trap speeds. Part of the culprit is this restriction.

We have developed an airbox system made completely of Prepreg Carbon Fiber that utilizes a panel filter that is over 40% larger in surface area and also has a much larger inlet cross section to feed the engine more direct air. The result is gains of up to 30HP or more depending on modifications, and consistent drops in intake air temperatures due to less restriction by the factory air filter.

Paired with our Turbocharger Upgrade, Competition Spec Cooling Package, and Downpipes, our customers see consistent results.

For more information on our W205 C63/C63S Packages, please contact us anytime.

MSRP $3,999.99

DIME RACING

Tech@dimerd.com
714-969-7879

Last edited by dimeracing; 06-05-2017 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Added Dyno Graph
The following users liked this post:
Enrique Borunda (04-22-2019)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 AMG GT C Roadster
looks realy good but the price is how ever I would love to see some more pictures and a dyno sheet
The following users liked this post:
Enrique Borunda (04-22-2019)
Old 06-01-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C63s
+1

Looks cool. Would like to see more pics and dyno sheet but $4000.00. NO WAY!!
There's another thread that Dinan is working on software for the car so they will probably follow up with other upgrades. Ill wait...
Old 06-01-2017, 01:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
There's not an insignificant amount of R&D that needs to be accounted for to develop anything aftermarket. We as AMG owners complain about the lack of aftermarket, but vendors are continually discouraged to enter the market because of this very behavior.

As for Dinan.. they're testing the waters right now with the tune. And Dinan isn't exactly known to be a 'bargain aftermarket' vendor.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by vaelin
There's not an insignificant amount of R&D that needs to be accounted for to develop anything aftermarket. We as AMG owners complain about the lack of aftermarket, but vendors are continually discouraged to enter the market because of this very behavior.

As for Dinan.. they're testing the waters right now with the tune. And Dinan isn't exactly known to be a 'bargain aftermarket' vendor.
Agreed, though even with Dinan on the high-end, their tune will likely still cost less than this intake. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the R&D and it's a really nice looking piece of hardware, but it's not exactly a good bang for your buck.

If this was half the price and offered in something like ABS to keep costs down, I'd definitely be more interested.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:22 PM

2016 C63s
I've owned several BMW's before buying my AMG and both cars were heavily modded with Dinan. For the quality and craftsmanship and warranty that Dinan offers I would say that they are priced well below a lot of their competition but are still able to offer a competitive product.

As for the cost of the Carbon Fiber Air box system. Eventuri makes a comparable system for the BMW F80 and Audi RS5 and those are $2345.00 and $2595.00. Still not cheap by any means but $1700 and $1400.00 less expensive. A similar air box made by Dinan for the F80 M3/M4 is $2059.00. That's half the price of the one offered by Dime. I know its not apples for apples because this is for Mercedes and these are BMW but the cars are direct competition. That's all I am saying.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
That's a seriously PERFECT intake for the car. Looks great, looks high quality, and I believe it'll provide all the air the M177 could ever need. Only one quote pops to mind: "More than [I] can afford, PAL"

I used to say I'd never spend more than $125 on an intake... for THAT gorgeous piece of engineering, I'd pay $1000, and that's a compliment to you guys... but I guess it's not geared towards people like me -- you're probably limiting your audience quite a bit with that price tag. Why not drop the price to something we can all afford (even if it's a stretch) and make your money off volume... not to mention your name would be in every tuned engine bay in the country. I don't see any other intakes that can match yours at this point. Hustle and get it everywhere before the copy cats come out. You heard it here first.

Last edited by skim7x; 06-01-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
priced me out
Old 06-01-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 AMG GT C Roadster
Yes.. 2000$ or 2500$ and I would buy it instantly .. Carbon or abs don't mind
Old 06-01-2017, 05:11 PM

2016 C63s
If they priced this around what Eventuri is asking $2200-$2600, count me in. I'd buy it just because it looks cool and id want to show it to people. For $4K, to rich for my blood. I can get a lot more for my money if I'm look to spend that.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 C230
Weistec is working on one too
Old 06-01-2017, 08:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
nothing
Since you guys are touting the stock intake as a restriction, did you do an air measurement (g/s) between stock vs your product? That simple measurement is a great way to see if there is a physical restriction. For that amount of money, I assume there were some concrete tests performed because at the end of the day, it's a filter on a stick.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
If you look at the pics carefully, It appears that there is a seam on the pressure side of the pipes running latitude. Not only is that odd when is suppose to be a carbon fiber pipe as a wrap would not have a seam, but over time that seam will weaken and ultimately split. Seams on the pressure side of pipes is usually a recipe for issues.

Seems to be a suspect design especially for the cost
Old 06-01-2017, 10:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by lenk
If you look at the pics carefully, It appears that there is a seam on the pressure side of the pipes running latitude. Not only is that odd when is suppose to be a carbon fiber pipe as a wrap would not have a seam, but over time that seam will weaken and ultimately split. Seams on the pressure side of pipes is usually a recipe for issues.

Seems to be a suspect design especially for the cost
pressure? I see the intake come in from the front of the hood. Then up through the filter. Then curves forward and around to the inlet of the turbos. Wouldn't the whole intake be in a vacuum, not under pressure.

Am am I missing something in your analysis?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
So are you saying that a vacuum doesn't create pressure?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Originally Posted by lenk
So are you saying that a vacuum doesn't create pressure?
I am pretty sure that's not what you meant in your post. Because you said "pressure side". And spoke about "seams".

But ok. Yes a vacuum is a negative pressure. Lol. Not many balloons will pop by sucking in on them though.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350; 2011 E90 M3
Aren't there two air filters on the C63? Seems a better comparison than the M3 with just one side would be the M5 (where Dinan is around $3,100).
Old 06-02-2017, 12:14 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 c63 Amg s (almost)
I just can't comprehend how an air intake can cost $4000. What am I getting for $4000? There's no proven information, no graphs, no dyno, etc. there's nothing. Seems like this is priced to entice the "I don't give a f*** what it costs, I need it" crowd. There's no reason it should be $4000. It's air boxes. I can't believe how much the MB aftermarket is. I was excited to do mods but with the price of everything it's not reasonable for someone like me. Yes yes, I don't make as much money as many here. I'm still gonna complain that everything is too expensive.

Hopefully theyll bring it down to a reasonable price soon
Old 06-02-2017, 12:31 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Originally Posted by Souriall91
I just can't comprehend how an air intake can cost $4000. What am I getting for $4000? There's no proven information, no graphs, no dyno, etc. there's nothing. Seems like this is priced to entice the "I don't give a f*** what it costs, I need it" crowd. There's no reason it should be $4000. It's air boxes. I can't believe how much the MB aftermarket is. I was excited to do mods but with the price of everything it's not reasonable for someone like me. Yes yes, I don't make as much money as many here. I'm still gonna complain that everything is too expensive.

Hopefully theyll bring it down to a reasonable price soon
Much like the cooling upgrade thread they throw up here, there is no before and after or any hard numbers. This, to me and it seems others, is a money grab for a product that stands alone in the market. They seem to be capitalizing on the fact that there are no current competitors.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:37 AM

2016 C63s
Originally Posted by skiborsy
Aren't there two air filters on the C63? Seems a better comparison than the M3 with just one side would be the M5 (where Dinan is around $3,100).

The F80 M3 has dual air boxes as well.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:27 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Dthquazi
Much like the cooling upgrade thread they throw up here, there is no before and after or any hard numbers. This, to me and it seems others, is a money grab for a product that stands alone in the market. They seem to be capitalizing on the fact that there are no current competitors.
Why blame them? Every first-to-market product will be priced at a point to figure out what the market will bear. I'm sure there will be buyers at the 4k price point. Clearly a number of folks here, including myself, won't buy at that price, and will wait for 1) price to come down or 2) a competitor comes out with a cheaper, equivalent option.

As of now, few other MB tuners are even going this far with the multitudes of mods for our M17x, so why discourage it? It seems counter productive to our aftermarket health.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:56 AM

2016 C63s
I don't think anyone is trying to discourage them or any other manufacturer from building aftermarket products for our cars. We are their audience. They built this stuff for us and being a public forum we have the right to voice our opinion on how we feel and clearly price is an issue. Whether they decide to listen, we'll see...
Old 06-02-2017, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
I understand setting the price high and gauging the interest... But it's pretty bold to post a performance part without any supporting evidence that any R&D was done. How could anyone possibly make decision on whether to buy one or not. It's like buying a Subaru BRZ after someone showed it to you and said it's fast without any supporting data... And then you buy it only to realize it's not haha (I had one try to race me the other day... Pretty comical)
Old 06-02-2017, 12:58 PM

'15 C63S
I don't disagree with the calls for more information. But I'd let them try to address it, rather than some of the discouraging statements made.

It happened in the Dinan thread, and granted it was directly addressed, and I see it happening here.

I'm perhaps a bit wary because I'd like to see more vendors produce more aftermarket items for us, and that requires us as a community to stand behind the various vendors rather than immediately complain. Given this platform is already approaching three years old, yet we've not seen the vendors really push R&D for it.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:11 PM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 c63s
Originally Posted by vaelin
I don't disagree with the calls for more information. But I'd let them try to address it, rather than some of the discouraging statements made.

It happened in the Dinan thread, and granted it was directly addressed, and I see it happening here.

I'm perhaps a bit wary because I'd like to see more vendors produce more aftermarket items for us, and that requires us as a community to stand behind the various vendors rather than immediately complain. Given this platform is already approaching three years old, yet we've not seen the vendors really push R&D for it.
Then they can address it. I have my doubts that they will. Like in the thread about their cooling upgrade, numbers were requested and they never delivered. That came with a high price tag as well.

R&D should also include what people would pay for something. Any other company can look this thread up and see that people are not willing to buy an intake at that price. They should no be discouraged by that. They can then set their development to target a realistic price. Like on any other platform, an intake can be produced for a reasonable price.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dime Racing Carbon Fiber Airbox System Release