GLE Class (V167) Produced 2020 to present

Battery level is fluctuated when turning on auto start stop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Today | 07:23 AM

Gle 400d v167 2019
Battery level is fluctuated when turning on auto start stop

In the MBUX screen under Info > Engine, you can monitor the battery voltage. While the car is running with auto start-stop enabled, I observe the voltage fluctuating between 12.5V and 14.8V. However, when I disable the start-stop feature, the voltage remains stable at 14.7V.

I'm curious about why this happens. I think that when the car is running, the alternator is functioning as well. It seems the auto start-stop system may disconnect the alternator or halt battery charging to assess the battery voltage for stopping the engine. During this time, the voltage fluctuates between the battery's voltage and the alternator's output. This could mean that the start-stop function results in less efficient battery charging and may negatively impact the battery due to frequent short charges. I do not know if AGM battery like short charge or not.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old Today | 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G550
When the battery is being charged by the alternator, ~14.5 volts is normal. When start/stop is being used, the alternator isn't operating in the stop mode, and normal battery voltage ~12.5 volts is present.

The topic is controversial, but IMO start/stop accelerates the wear on the battery and starter. Mostly, I just find the feature annoying and of no fuel efficiency benefit to me, so I've permanently disabled it.

Last edited by streborx; Today at 09:33 AM.
Old Today | 09:48 AM

2021 GLS580 | 2011 ML350 BlueTec | 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP
12.4v is considered fully charged for a resting 12v battery. When running the alternator provides ~14.4 - 14.8v to charge. That's perfectly normal and expected.
Old Today | 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Army

2015 SL400 (M276 Turbo), 2014 C350 Sport (M276 NA), 2004 SL500 (M113), 2004 Audi TT225 (BEA)
I have disabled the Start/Stop feature permanently. If you search, you will find that Start/Stop is not beneficial to the engine or transmission, but only provided by the manufacturer to help meet fleet mileage mandates. Since virtually all new cars have it, it is more of a novelty for the uninformed. Do your engine and transmission a favor and disable it. The fuel savings are negligible compared to the cost of the wear and tear on the engine. As long as the engine is running, there is a film of oil protecting all moving parts. Engine off and that oil film starts draining into the sump. The constant stopping and starting multiplies the amount of wear on the crank shaft, bearings, cam shaft, guides, etc.
Old Today | 10:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by JettaRed
I have disabled the Start/Stop feature permanently. If you search, you will find that Start/Stop is not beneficial to the engine or transmission, but only provided by the manufacturer to help meet fleet mileage mandates. Since virtually all new cars have it, it is more of a novelty for the uninformed. Do your engine and transmission a favor and disable it. The fuel savings are negligible compared to the cost of the wear and tear on the engine. As long as the engine is running, there is a film of oil protecting all moving parts. Engine off and that oil film starts draining into the sump. The constant stopping and starting multiplies the amount of wear on the crank shaft, bearings, cam shaft, guides, etc.
Agree, there is more wear on the starter, the engine, the engine mounts, the starter battery, etc.
Old Today | 10:17 AM

GLE450 SUV
How is it permanently disabled?