C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 vs E63 engine differences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 29 Posts
'17 C63S Estate (S205) / '14 CLS 550 SB (X218) / '17 E220d (S213)
It is "Manual" at wide open throttle. The car will not behave differently in any other mode.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by J.M.G.
It is "Manual" at wide open throttle. The car will not behave differently in any other mode.
hmmm yes it will..

change to sport+ or race and do the same and you’ll notice it instantly..
Old 02-28-2019, 10:34 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Yeah, full comfort mode, even in manual, still behaves differently.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:01 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
Is that video supposed to be a joke?

You floored it in 4th gear at 1800rpm what did you think was going to happen? Turbos are exhaust driven power adders, not plutonium powered flux capacitors. Be in the correct gear at the correct rpm and there is almost zero lag. Do your exact same “test” in second gear and see what happens.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
Originally Posted by DRGG
Yes, well if you were used to driving a normally-aspirated manual transmission, then I do think you would be able to detect some lag. Whether it's the transmission, the turbos, or both I cannot say: but there is some lag IMHO. I wouldn't say it's a problem - just very different than what I was used to.
Yea if you were used to a large displacement na v8 or a supercharged v6/8 there are some noticeable differences in driving characteristics (torque) you would feel when comparing to a smaller displacement turbo motor. Little trick to combat that difference is to keep a bit more rpm in the car when driving spirited which usually equates to staying in a gear longer or being one gear lower than you’re used to.
Old 03-01-2019, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by JWreck
Yeah, full comfort mode, even in manual, still behaves differently.
Mine does not. My C63S will do exactly the same even in Race.

Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT
Is that video supposed to be a joke?
Not at all. Someone stated, the C63 does not have turbo lag. That is wrong. The M177 has a relatively small displacement and therefore uses huge turbochargers. As a result there is turbolag - which is fine for me, as one can use higher RPMs to minimize it. The higher the rpms, the higher the exhaustflow - the faster those turbines spool up!

However: To be honest: In every day driving, especially when commuting, I usually don't use 2nd gear at that speed... so when I floor it, the car has to downshift and those turbos have to spool up - which takes it's time. An N/A car simply starts pulling. Even an ordinary Mercedes M278 (4.7 V8 BiTurbo) in the old E550 has a lot less turbo lag (due to the higher displacement and those smaller turbochargers) - which makes it in my opinion the better engine for a daily driver.

...on the other hand...a backroad and an M177 is a fabulous combination!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Yea if you were used to a large displacement na v8 or a supercharged v6/8 there are some noticeable differences in driving characteristics (torque) you would feel when comparing to a smaller displacement turbo motor. Little trick to combat that difference is to keep a bit more rpm in the car when driving spirited which usually equates to staying in a gear longer or being one gear lower than you’re used to.
I was used to plenty of available torque down low in the RPM range and disliked the tendency for the nervous transmission to downshift every time I got on the throttle. The car has since adapted to my driving characteristics and will now go more quickly into the higher gear around town even in Sport+ mode. As one who grew up around large displacement V8 engines in the days before turbo-chargers, I still have a yearning for that low throaty rumble that one could feel as much as hear. I recently rented a Dodge Challenger R/T from the Hertz Adrenaline collection and was really impressed with the power and the sound effects. But the M177 is satisfying enough...
Old 03-01-2019, 12:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
a 4 litre is relatively small displacement? I thought i had heard it all, but i think i really have now...
A 4 litre V8 that revs to past 7k is anything but a relatively small displacement.
The following users liked this post:
C32owner (01-12-2020)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
A 4.0L is only small for a V8, but that doesn't make it a small engine. That video proves how little lag there actually is... comfort mode, 4th gear rolling in manual at 1500 rpm and there's full boost by about 2100 RPM. That guy who made the video doesn't understand the difference between turbo lag and boost threshold.

"Boost threshold is the engine speed at which you have enough exhaust gas flow in order to create boost. Turbo lag is the additional time delay above boost threshold, when the engine's throttle valve is open and the turbocharger needs to accelerate to deliver positive pressure to the engine".

There is very little turbo lag with this engine, but with any turbocharged engine there is a boost threshold. You need engine RPM to increase the exhaust gas velocity and spool the turbo. There is no magic to get rid of that, short of installing an electric turbo to use as a torque-fill.

To whoever said we have huge turbochargers, thanks for the laugh. These things are so small they run out of breath at higher RPM, but that trade off allows for the massive torque down low which is great for driving around town.
The following users liked this post:
Star4life (03-07-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 01:46 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
A 4.0L is only small for a V8, but that doesn't make it a small engine. That video proves how little lag there actually is... comfort mode, 4th gear rolling in manual at 1500 rpm and there's full boost by about 2100 RPM. That guy who made the video doesn't understand the difference between turbo lag and boost threshold.

"Boost threshold is the engine speed at which you have enough exhaust gas flow in order to create boost. Turbo lag is the additional time delay above boost threshold, when the engine's throttle valve is open and the turbocharger needs to accelerate to deliver positive pressure to the engine".

There is very little turbo lag with this engine, but with any turbocharged engine there is a boost threshold. You need engine RPM to increase the exhaust gas velocity and spool the turbo. There is no magic to get rid of that, short of installing an electric turbo to use as a torque-fill.

To whoever said we have huge turbochargers, thanks for the laugh. These things are so small they run out of breath at higher RPM, but that trade off allows for the massive torque down low which is great for driving around town.
That's a very useful explanation which makes sense. The turbos really are small enough to spool up quickly, but it's the threshold pressure that takes time to build. Maybe this is why we continue to argue, i.e. using the same words to describe different phenomenon. All I know is that it feels like there is some kind of buffer between the accelerator pedal and the car response and now I know just a little bit more....thank you.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C63S
This!

Now, there are some cars that are starting to use electrically operated turbos like the Audi SQ7 - three turbos, two normal and one electric - to fill the gaping hole that is turbo lag that can exist in turbocharged big diesels. But as someone who has driven early turbo charged cars, its pretty bloody obvious that the AMG engine has virtually no turbo lag! Its seriously an incredible engine and so responsive that its shocking! Turbocharging engines is actually quite a sophisticated process - balance the throttle, response and tune the inlets and exhausts for response, power and where exactly you want that power to be. If anyone has driven a BMW 2002 Turbo knows what turbo lag is - and how far the process has come in years since. Those BMW's were terrible, shocking and huge fun.... but I will take a modern turbo engine like the AMG one every day of the week.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
That's a very useful explanation which makes sense. The turbos really are small enough to spool up quickly, but it's the threshold pressure that takes time to build. Maybe this is why we continue to argue, i.e. using the same words to describe different phenomenon. All I know is that it feels like there is some kind of buffer between the accelerator pedal and the car response and now I know just a little bit more....thank you.
Not a beat a dead horse, no, it's very different. If you're driving in the wrong gear, which results in the engine spinning at a lower speed than is adequate to create boost, the threshold presusre lag is due to the DRIVER. Not the car

If you have a turbo that takes an unusually high rpm to fully spool (turbo lag), that's turbo size mismatch and/or trading spool time for big HP #s, that's boost lag.

From the published data (2017 C63 S Coupe):

503 hp at 5500-6250 rpm

516 lb-ft at 1750-4500 rpm

Generally speaking, making so much torque at low rpm (barely off idle) means you have small turbos that will run outta steam up to (no additional torque past 4500rpm, and hp runs out at 6250rpm). But it also means there's virtually little to no turbo lag.

Our C63s have VERY little turbo lag AND a very low boost threshold (based on the turbos being small, so they're fully spooled at a low rpm).

Conversely, if you wanna talk about turbo lag, Youtube a Supra race. Watch whatever car getting a full 1-2 car lengths on the turbo, while the Supra's huge turbo spools up at 5,000rpm lol and the thing takes off like a rocketship. THAT'S turbo lag...
Old 03-02-2019, 02:30 PM

700 Nm at 1.750 rpm...well, it takes way more than 3 seconds from coast load to full boost at that rpm.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:49 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Not a beat a dead horse, no, it's very different. If you're driving in the wrong gear, which results in the engine spinning at a lower speed than is adequate to create boost, the threshold presusre lag is due to the DRIVER. Not the car
How can I be in the wrong gear in automatic?

Our C63s have VERY little turbo lag AND a very low boost threshold (based on the turbos being small, so they're fully spooled at a low rpm).
All turbos have measurable lag.

Conversely, if you wanna talk about turbo lag, Youtube a Supra race. Watch whatever car getting a full 1-2 car lengths on the turbo, while the Supra's huge turbo spools up at 5,000rpm lol and the thing takes off like a rocketship. THAT'S turbo lag...
You are comparing to other turbos. I am comparing against naturally-aspirated (non-forced induction) V8. I fully understand that possibly most readers may not have had a non-forced induction car - especially if they like to mod.

Surely this topic is now dead (I hope).
Old 03-02-2019, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
700 Nm at 1.750 rpm...well, it takes way more than 3 seconds from coast load to full boost at that rpm.
It depends on the gear. Coast at 1750 rpm in first gear and stomp the throttle and tell me how long it takes to light the rear tires up. I don’t know about you, but I’m never flooring it at that low an RPM unless I’m in first gear. In almost every scenario, you need to downshift to the appropriate gear. When you’re in the powerband and not lugging the motor at cruising rpms, there is extremely little lag.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 03-02-2019 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Kind of off-topic but how does the low/mid rpm driveability/torque curve compare to some of the older engines? Particularly the M113K if anyone has made the switch. I would imagine the new engines have more impressive top end performance.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:21 AM

It depends on the gear. Coast at 1750 rpm in first gear and stomp the throttle and tell me how long it takes to light the rear tires up.
At least my car will never reach 700Nm at 1.750 rpm in that scenario, as rpms climb way to fast for the turbos to spool up!

In almost every scenario, you need to downshift to the appropriate gear.
That is exactly my point. We have to do this, even though the car has maximum torque at 1.750 rpm. However, those hugh turbos take forever to spool up at that rpm - therefore we (the automatic) shift down.

When you’re in the powerband and not lugging the motor at cruising rpms, there is extremely little lag.
I'm totally with you.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
C63S Coupe
Did someone really complain about a C63 having turbo lag?? Lol. Granted I have a C63s and open intakes which makes a noticeable difference in throttle response and “peppyness” of the car, but even with the stock intakes the car is still really responsive. These little snails spool instantly compared to any decent sized precision turbo. Problem is the performance aftermarket for these cars is so limited...you only have exhaust, tunes, piggybacks, a few intake and a few turbo options. That’s it. These cars are really just meant to be lightly modded, driven and enjoyed imo. They will never be high horsepower freeway monsters or fully built feeling crushers.
These cars are going on the mid 5's 60-130 and are limited to engine and trans. That's 9 second quarter mile fast. And that's with your mentioned bolt on parts.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
MB C63 AMG
Its not bolt on.

Pistons
Camshafts
Turbos
Exhaust Manifold
Oil lines
Water lines
Downpipes

and more more more ....
Old 03-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
How can I be in the wrong gear in automatic?
If you're in comfort mode, you'll find you're often driving around in 7th gear. And when stomping on the throttle, you'll likely want to be in 2nd or 3rd gear (obviously depending on the speed you're currently traveling at). The shifts in Comfort are also slower. That's why in Sport+, it will hold a more optimal gear, and shift quickly, to enable quicker acceleration should it be required.

You are comparing to other turbos. I am comparing against naturally-aspirated (non-forced induction) V8. I fully understand that possibly most readers may not have had a non-forced induction car - especially if they like to mod.
Fair enough. I have a mix of both, FYI.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:08 AM

C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by MrkiC63
Its not bolt on.

Pistons
Camshafts
Turbos
Exhaust Manifold
Oil lines
Water lines
Downpipes

and more more more ....
These cars are are on stock engine. So no pistons no cams even stock exhaust manifolds. Turbos are bolt on including all lines. And downpipes any shop these days seems to be installing for under $500. So yea. Pretty bolt on.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:26 AM

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts
MB C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Judson145
These cars are are on stock engine. So no pistons no cams even stock exhaust manifolds. Turbos are bolt on including all lines. And downpipes any shop these days seems to be installing for under $500. So yea. Pretty bolt on.
So try it out
Old 03-06-2019, 05:20 PM

C63S AMG Coupe
Seems like this thread is a catch-all, so I will ask here if anybody with a 2018 C63s Coupe (purchased in February 2018) has recently gotten a program update and found that the transmission seemingly shifts more quickly and more smoothly (maybe the same thing)?
Old 03-06-2019, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by MrkiC63
So try it out
Several already have. I know of at least 2 800+whp C63’s with unopened engines. Just bolt-ons, turbos, and fuel. Stock trans, stock heads and block/internals.

Not saying you won’t break anything at that power level, but it’ll be the trans or diff before the engine.

I actually haven’t heard of anyone blowing their M177, stock or built. The trans on the other hand...
Old 03-07-2019, 01:25 AM

C63S Coupe
Several already have. I know of at least 2 800+whp C63’s with unopened engines. Just bolt-ons, turbos, and fuel. Stock trans, stock heads and block/internals.

Not saying you won’t break anything at that power level, but it’ll be the trans or diff before the engine.

I actually haven’t heard of anyone blowing their M177, stock or built. The trans on the other hand...
so go try it like it’s a threat...

exactly my thoughts. There are more than 2. Just 2 are out there showing it off. I’m sure many more will pop up as well. Lots of people buying stage 4 turbos. And since I should go try it, I have too. Lol.

I hate the electronic diff in the car anyway so that’s the first thing being changed.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 vs E63 engine differences