Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance exhaust option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2017 | 09:54 AM

2020GLC63
Performance exhaust option

Hi guys, already in the market for a 2017 C63s. I've been bitten hard by the w204 c63 amg bug and I'd like to get into on of these newer ones. I've test drove 2 so far but both don't have the performance exhaust option. Though i've read a lot stating "do not purchase" with out one espeically for the guys like me that love the added sound you can achieve. They one's i drove did sound pretty good in sport and sports +. Also noticed there is a software upgrade you can do and wondering how much this helps? Is it correct that the Performance exhaust is a completely different exhaust or is it software or is it something else that allows the sound different.

Thanks in advanced guys for your time and help.

Best regards,
Brad
Old 06-23-2017 | 10:16 AM

C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
Hi there and welcome!

Trust me if you're in it for the sound (which lets face it, is half the reason to buy these things ) then the performance exhaust really is a must.

While it is indeed slightly louder, the selling point is that you can open the exhaust' valves (and thus get the full sound) at the push of a button in any driving mode whereas with the standard exhaust the valves position is dependent on the driving mode (closed in comfort, half-open in sport, fully open in sport+).

Hope this helps with your decision but I'd say go for it!
Old 06-23-2017 | 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Too much to type in my phone.

https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=19013872

answer is yes. You must get it, as you stated in your first post.

There, that pretty much does it
Old 06-23-2017 | 10:22 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by brad65ford
Hi guys, already in the market for a 2017 C63s. I've been bitten hard by the w204 c63 amg bug and I'd like to get into on of these newer ones. I've test drove 2 so far but both don't have the performance exhaust option. Though i've read a lot stating "do not purchase" with out one espeically for the guys like me that love the added sound you can achieve. They one's i drove did sound pretty good in sport and sports +. Also noticed there is a software upgrade you can do and wondering how much this helps? Is it correct that the Performance exhaust is a completely different exhaust or is it software or is it something else that allows the sound different.

Thanks in advanced guys for your time and help.

Best regards,
Brad
The Performance Exhaust option has a different muffler setup as the standard exhaust that adds additional flaps that are opened/closed based on the user-controlled console button.

Both exhaust systems though have computer controlled flaps on the H-pipe (?) that are independently controlled based upon the drive setting (Comfort, Sport, Sport+, etc) and throttle position.

I wouldn't let it be a deal breaker if the car doesn't have the Performance Exhaust option. The standard exhaust still has plenty of character.

Last edited by msd3075; 06-23-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-23-2017 | 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
If you go with standard exhaust, you'll upgrade to an aftermarket exhaust late anyways and spend the same money.
Old 06-23-2017 | 10:27 AM

2016 S205 Estate
I agree, the difference is HUGE.

It's totally worth it, specially with the valves you can manually control.
Old 06-23-2017 | 10:53 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by Trim105
Hi there and welcome!

Trust me if you're in it for the sound (which lets face it, is half the reason to buy these things ) then the performance exhaust really is a must.

While it is indeed slightly louder, the selling point is that you can open the exhaust' valves (and thus get the full sound) at the push of a button in any driving mode whereas with the standard exhaust the valves position is dependent on the driving mode (closed in comfort, half-open in sport, fully open in sport+).

Hope this helps with your decision but I'd say go for it!

Another selling point of the Performance Exhaust is that in normal/quiet mode (or whatever the technical term is), the volume is quieter than the standard exhaust. I think it was AWE that did testing on both the Performance and standard exhaust systems and found that the Performance exhaust is significantly quieter in that mode.

That helps if you don't want to **** of your neighbors.
Old 06-23-2017 | 11:31 AM

2020GLC63
Thank you guys, I'm torn not so much regarding cost. I plan to do down pipes and tune first then larger turbo's so sound will change on both directions regardless. Wishing there were more options in my area and don't want to wait for ordering. Two dealers by us are willing to take 10% off msrp, assuming that fair discount? My must have options are night shade package, and 360 camera (fell in love with that feature on my s8 plus) and black leather. Performance exhaust I'd love as well as carbon fiber though the color of the extoror is more important to me. My options are Sliver or Black color.

Last edited by brad65ford; 06-23-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-23-2017 | 11:32 AM

2016 S205 Estate
Thank you guys, I'm torn not so much regarding cost. I plan to do down pipes and tune first then larger turbo's so sound will change on both directions regardless. Wishing there were more options in my area and don't want to wait for ordering. Two dealers by us are willing to take 10% off msrp, assuming that fair discount? My must have options are night shade package, and 360 camera (feel in love with that feature on my s8 plus) and black leather. Performance exhaust I'd love as well as carbon fiber though the color of the extoror is more important to me. My options are Sliver or Black color.
Just do the same thing I did:
Catless Supersprint DP's & remove resonance chambers from rear muffler.

Sounds epic and is way cheaper than installing a full akra line or something similar.

Old 06-23-2017 | 11:42 AM

'15 C63S
Thank you guys, I'm torn not so much regarding cost. I plan to do down pipes and tune first then larger turbo's so sound will change on both directions regardless. Wishing there were more options in my area and don't want to wait for ordering. Two dealers by us are willing to take 10% off msrp, assuming that fair discount? My must have options are night shade package, and 360 camera (feel in love with that feature on my s8 plus) and black leather. Performance exhaust I'd love as well as carbon fiber though the color of the extoror is more important to me. My options are Sliver or Black color.

I know I'm in the minority on here when I say this, but it isn't the deal-breaker option that so many make it out to be. Especially if you are planning to modify your car to the extent that you say you will. I've driven both cars with and without it. I just don't see the huge need that others make it out to be.

My car does not have the Performance Exhaust option, and in the 2 years I've had it I can count on one hand how many times I wish I had the Performance Exhaust. Every single one of those instances had to do with wishing I could put the thing in quiet-mode on a cold startup. None of them had to do with wishing the car sounded better/louder when driving.

Last edited by msd3075; 06-23-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-25-2017 | 04:08 AM

C63s
DO IT
Old 06-25-2017 | 08:51 AM

2020GLC63
It it boys, picked up a Black C63s with performance exhaust. Its a nice option for sure lol. Will post an intro enventually. Thanks again!
Old 06-25-2017 | 09:19 AM

VW GTI
You can't say this ^^^ and not post pics... Standard rule, man. Come on!
Old 06-25-2017 | 06:39 PM

C63s
Hi

I install downpipe Innotech and mid pipe and exhaust Akrapovic the sound are amazing.
Continue quiet in comfort mode but turn a beast when you put in race mode.

Akrapovic exhaust system