AMG Driving Academy experiences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
AMG Driving Academy experiences?

Has anyone done this?

Interested in doing the BASIC at laguna seca in october. Never done any type of track driving before.

Do we use our own car?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by digitalnav
Has anyone done this?

Interested in doing the BASIC at laguna seca in october. Never done any type of track driving before.

Do we use our own car?
They supply the cars(Gas and tires and brakes and your car does not get abused) and you get to drive most all the AMG models.
Don't miss it as it is the best time.
Laguna Seca is a great track and you will love it.
After the basic try the advanced 2 day course and you will be smiling for the next week.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 PM

C63S Sedan
Do they allow you to take proper cameras to take pics and video?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
not really. You can pull out your cell for some snaps, they do have a photographer but only get a few pics. They won't let you mount anything to the car. There is a great video of you driving the gts in car though, similar to corvette PDR.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:44 AM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
There is no pictures or video allowed in the cars at any time. They are very strict about that policy.

Outside of the cars while you are waiting your turn or during a break period, you are free to take whatever pics/videos you want.

That being said, within all the GT-S cars they have two cameras (one facing out the windshield, and the other mounted near the passenger A-pillar pointed toward the driver) that are turned on while you are doing your full laps of the track. They are tied into the car's telemetry so on your video you get to see your speed, RPM, lateral and longitudinal G-forces, throttle and brake position, and steering wheel position. All of that is posted by them on their website a few days after your class is finished.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:34 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 C63 Coupe
This might be a weird question or not. Can I use my own SA2015 approved helmet?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 AM

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts
2014 C63 Edition 507
Here is my write-up from last year...

Cool COTA Basic 4/21 - Match Report
Thought I would share my thoughts for the group on my experience at the ADA Basic program at COTA on 4/21. Being my first ADA event, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was not disappointed.

Facility - The COTA facility is absolutely gorgeous. Built 4 years ago, I believe, the facility was clean and well organized. The catering (breakfast, lunch and hot pretzels during the closing ceremonies) was just right and there were snacks/drinks set up at the Drive Modules if you needed refreshment. Quite a sight when you pull in and see all the AMG's laid out for full presentation. There was also a mini showroom set-up with a GLE 63, SL 65, GLA 45, C 63 Edition 1 Coupe, and a GTs.

Staff - The entire staff from check-in to send off was extremely positive and attentive. The instructor staff was outstanding. Great content, good humor and comradereie. Both the US and Global Directors of Instruction were in attendance. Thanks You AJ and Reinhard for putting together a top notch filed of instructors. Special shout out to Kevin Krauss and Rick D'Orio, our instructors for the day. Great communication throughout the modules and individual attention. I also had a chance to speak with the Technical Director - the man responsible for the vehicles. As my car is a former ADA vehicle, it was good to speak with him about the day in the life and maintenance of the fleet.

Driving Modules - We were hampered by thunderstorms early on and it was unsafe for course workers to be out in field so we did most all of our classroom work at the beginning, followed by some parade laps until the storms subsided. The weather may have cut in to our driving a bit, but not much and the weather ended up cooperating and being sunny and 80 degrees the rest of the day. I was paired with my brother, who made the trip down from Dallas, so it was fun in that regard too.[LIST][*]Drag Race and Agility Slalom - 3 runs each in a CLS 63 and E 63s. Hammer the drag start and focus on the upcoming stop box. Stomp the brakes in to the stop box without being short or long. The winner of the head-to-head match up gets to go first through the slalom. Have to say the CLS 63 is one impressive machine. Hands down the better performer, in my opinion. Very impressed with the CLS 63. Would definitely be a great daily driver.
Skid Pad - Several runs around the skid pad in a C63s. Pavement is wetted down and we were to try and get the rear end drifting a bit. Not so easy. Certainly not as easy as the instructors make it look. A balance of adrenaline and common sense is required. Everyone ends up spinning out at some point.
ABS Brakes on Lane Change - This was more of an emergency maneuvre kind of module. We drove the SL 63 (very comfortable) and had to approach an emergency braking area. The first pulls, we just did straight ahead trail braking. After that, when we approached, a directional light would go off and we had manueuvre to the R/L, and correct ourselves. I think this may be one module that got pared back a bit on us due to the weather. It was rather brief, but that's ok since it meant that our track time didn't get truncated.
Autocross - Aside from the track time, the most fun event. Drove the CLA 45 through an autocross course set up with cones. At start, we revved to about 3000rpm, let loose full throttle to a bend, then a tight turn, some esses, another tight turn, two hard turns then a stop box. I am amazed at the speed the CLA carried through this set-up. We had 3 runs each with partner, then 3 runs alone - best of the 3 gets counted. There is a team and individual award. The winning time was 31.08, if I remember right. My times were 32.3 - 32.5, if you were wondering. I will also say the exhaust note on the CLA at full performance was excellent.
Lead Follow/Track Time/Hot Laps - Wow, the feeling you get running the track at speed in incredibly engineered vehicles is astounding. We spent several laps following the instructors and their driving lines. Cones were also set up on the course for apex identification and braking zones, which definitely helped. Here the GTs really shined as you surely feel the balance of the car through the turns. The car just felt lighter compared to some of the others because of the handling. Top speeds in the straightaway got to about 120, but the real fun was taking turns at speed, hitting the brakes hard and setting up for the next turns. Your thinking about braking will change after this course - that was one of the first thing we got instructed on.

Hot Laps - If you think you were going fast, think again, the instructors can really push it. The car responds completely different under their direction, as you would expect. Hold on tight! My brother was lucky enough to pull a ride in the SLS BS with AJ and he told me they reached 165 in the straights. Again, the turns are where the action is though.

Final Thoughts - An excellent way to spend a day with fellow enthusiasts as we met some nice folks along the way and benefitted from some top notch instruction from top notch talent. It is a full day, they keep you moving - at a comfortable pace though, and surprising how physical it can be with the speed, G forces, etc. Way more fun than a roller coaster, especially since you are at the helm !!
The following users liked this post:
JonAG72 (01-26-2018)
Old 06-29-2017, 10:36 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by roy777
I'm pretty sure they want you to use their helmets.

You'll look like a tool out there using your own anyway.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
Originally Posted by roy777
yes you can. I don't think you'll look out of place, I think most people would prefer their own helmet as opposed to a used helmet with a headsock.
The following users liked this post:
roy777 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:59 AM

'15 C63S
Originally Posted by jkob5
yes you can. I don't think you'll look out of place, I think most people would prefer their own helmet as opposed to a used helmet with a headsock.

I've been to the class. You will look out of place with your own helmet.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63 S
AUSTIN - CIRCUIT OF THE AMERICAS

I just got back from the basic course last weekend. OMG, if you can do it ... do it! Just about everything you could need is supplied. The instructors are extremely knowledgeable, polite and a lot of fun. Awesome breakfast and lunch buffet. I am actually thinking about the advanced course.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
I attended the Advanced program at COTA this past Mon.-Tues. Great experience. Very well-run event. I'd echo the other comments above. Oh, and don't bring your own helmet. I do track days at home so I get where you're coming from, but there's no need to stand out and have to bother bringing it along. They have plenty of sizes to pick from as well as a new headsock to wear underneath.
Old 06-30-2017, 06:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe AMG edition 1
Just got back from COTA last week and have been smiling every since. Got to drive all the AMG sedans and coupes and rode the AMG-GTR on he track.amazing experience and should not be missed. I am actually doing the 2 day advanced course at Laguna Seca next.
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts
Mercedes GLC43
Originally Posted by RDOCA
They supply the cars(Gas and tires and brakes and your car does not get abused) and you get to drive most all the AMG models.
Don't miss it as it is the best time.
Laguna Seca is a great track and you will love it.
After the basic try the advanced 2 day course and you will be smiling for the next week.
You don't want to use your own car. The BMW Performance Center told us they get through a set of M3 tires in one week.

If you drove your own car , which they don't allow, you'd need to plan on a new set of tires fairly shortly after attending.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 274 Likes on 204 Posts
'19 CLS450
Hey all - long shot, big ask. If anyone finds this and is registered at Laguna Seca on October 2nd, PM me! I was hoping to secure this date over the weekend for the Basic class and sometime between Friday and Sunday, the class filled up. Saturday and Sunday are obviously wait listed as well and Monday was the last time I was able to match up with my travel schedule. If you're signed up and willing to switch dates, please let me know!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG
Just a heads up, US AMG Private Lounge members get a 20% discount on the US AMG Driving Academy courses.

Membership is free, you just need to be an AMG owner.

www.mercedes-amg.com/privatelounge
Old 08-22-2017, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I had a chance to attend the Basic course at COTA in June of 2015 and it was, without a doubt, one of the best automotive-related experiences of my life.

Everything about the course was run at a first-class level.

If you get any sort of motion sickness, make sure you load up on the dramamine.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Has anyone done this?

Do we use our own car?
Definitely a yes for anyone to do, I assume it's much the same in all Countries.

They supply the cars, they supply the race track, they supply lunch and seminars, they pay for it all (ie. once only) - what's there not to like about that, no brainer to jump in and do it

Here in Melbourne Aust. it's done at the Sandown race course, I've done it and as others have mentioned above it was one of the best auto related experiences I've had
Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S Coupe 2017
I did mine at Lime Rock yesterday and it was amazing. Highly recommended. The Taxi ride in the end with the instructor in a GTS was insane. The GT R was also something else; best car I've ever driven.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Anybody signed up for Oct 1 at Laguna Seca?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Anybody signed up for Oct 1 at Laguna Seca?
I'm signed up for the 2nd. If you're in the area on Saturday and have the wife or others with you, AMG Private Lounge is hosting a car show and track experience. You can bring up to 3 guests. 230-7p I believe. Car show, hot laps driven by a pro and autoX driving opportunity...all free of charge as an AMG owner.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:59 PM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
I'm signed up for the 2nd. If you're in the area on Saturday and have the wife or others with you, AMG Private Lounge is hosting a car show and track experience. You can bring up to 3 guests. 230-7p I believe. Car show, hot laps driven by a pro and autoX driving opportunity...all free of charge as an AMG owner.
You have to register via Private Lounge to get access.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
You have to register via Private Lounge to get access.
Correct. Sign-up takes all of 90-seconds with a VIN.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
C43
Originally Posted by RichardCranium3
Correct. Sign-up takes all of 90-seconds with a VIN.
Is there a registration link somewhere on Private Lounge that I'm missing?

My plan is to drive up from SoCal on the 1st so I might just spend the evening relaxing.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 CLS450
Originally Posted by Lionel_Hutz
Is there a registration link somewhere on Private Lounge that I'm missing?

My plan is to drive up from SoCal on the 1st so I might just spend the evening relaxing.
https://www.mercedes-amg.com/private.../login?lang=en

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Driving Academy experiences?