Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63S
Disc rust and brakes stuck, help!

Hi all,

C63 S sedan under warranty.

So the other day I tried to drive my car, but couldn't, the car seemed to be stuck no matter what I do, I tried flooring the gas pedal, the car jumped a bit but does not move an inch. So I called my dealer and my car was tolled.

The dealer said the disc are rusted and also lack of use which caused this, and he said this isn't covered in warranty.

I just want to know if this this is the case? It seem to me that the dealer is trying to push the blame on me. I thought the discs are meant to be rusted (they rust overnight) and the brakes are suppose to clean the rust when moving, but now the brakes are stuck on my disc.

Some background info: I didn't drive the car for 2-3 days, prior to this, I drove it on a rainy day (an I suppose to wipe it down after use?). I also own a 10 year old Porsche, I drive it once a month, the disc are always rusty, but the brakes are never stuck, it will grind a bit when starting and after few step on the brakes and it is smooth again.

Since I am still under warranty, i really think this should not be me to blame, or am I wrong? Please let me know. Thanks!!
Old 07-20-2017, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by DZ8222
Hi all,

So the other day I tried to drive my car, but couldn't, the car seemed to be stuck no matter what I do, I tried flooring the gas pedal, the car jumped a bit but does not move an inch. So I called my dealer and my car was tolled.

The dealer said the disc are rusted and also lack of use which caused this, and he said this isn't covered in warranty.

I just want to know if this this is the case? It seem to me that the dealer is trying to push the blame on me. I thought the discs are meant to be rusted (they rust overnight) and the brakes are suppose to clean the rust when moving, but now the brakes are stuck on my disc.

Some background info: I didn't drive the car for 2-3 days, prior to this, I drove it on a rainy day (an I suppose to wipe it down after use?). I also own a 10 year old Porsche, I drive it once a month, the disc are always rusty, but the brakes are never stuck, it will grind a bit when starting and after few step on the brakes and it is smooth again.

Since I am still under warranty, i really think this should not be me to blame, or am I wrong? Please let me know. Thanks!!
Absurd dealer response...
Escalate to service manager.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Hi all,

Whoever you spoke to is a dumbass. Ask for a new service advisor, insist on it.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2002 C32AMG
Never heard anything that stupid before....lot rot happens after weeks of no driving; not days.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by C3Duece
Never heard anything that stupid before....lot rot happens after weeks of no driving; not days.
Yes, and even lot rot wouldn't be the owners fault...
Old 07-20-2017, 01:21 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by C3Duece
What is lot rot?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:27 AM

C63S
What am I suppose to say tho? The dealer keeps saying the issue is due to my disc rust which isn't covered in the warranty.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
Politely tell him that you disagree and that you would like to write a letter or speak with MB customer service about this. Tell him that if CS agrees with you then I will pay out of pocket but, I am pretty sure he doesn't want MB to contact him and question his warranty procedures.

How can someone blame rust on a customer? Even if the car sat one month after being driven in deep water the car should still drive.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:06 AM

C63S
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
Politely tell him that you disagree and that you would like to write a letter or speak with MB customer service about this. Tell him that if CS agrees with you then I will pay out of pocket but, I am pretty sure he doesn't want MB to contact him and question his warranty procedures.

How can someone blame rust on a customer? Even if the car sat one month after being driven in deep water the car should still drive.
He keeps saying again and again that rust on the rotor or the disc isn't covered within warranty, and therefore it is my fault that the brakes got frozen. He also telling me I didn't use the car enough and let the rust build up.
This is so bad....am I the one who is wrong?
Old 07-20-2017, 10:35 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
Is it the parking brake that is seized inside the rear hubs? Ask for more details from your service adviser. That's what it sounds like to me. I doubt the front brakes will be rusted to the point of not breaking free.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:34 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
try another dealer or call mercedes usa yourself.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:44 AM

C63S
Entering the 3rd week since my car is at the dealer, still talking about who is responsible. Their argument is I made the disc rust by not driving my car enough or long enough, and therefore this is not covered in warranty.

I am located in Hong Kong, there is only 1 dealer here, not sure what I can do now.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
If that's their explanation, tell him that nowhere in the manual does it say you must drive the car every 48 hours and nobody, including the Mercedes Dealership, told you to drive the car at least every 48 hours. So it's on them. I don't think there had ever been a car ever that needs to driven every 48 hours, ridiculous. Call MB headquarters.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:56 AM

C63S
The dealer also said within the 2 months which I had service, I only drove 200-300km, means I did not drive enough, so the disc rust, so it is my fault.....wtf seriously? There's a certain mileage that I need to achieve to have warranty?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Absurd. Discs rust up when you wash the car. Rust shouldn't cause the issue you are having. Not driving it for a week shouldn't cause the issue. What happens if you go on vacation? Your car should not work when you get home?!?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Yeah this happens every time you wash car and park.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
The dealer also said within the 2 months which I had service, I only drove 200-300km, means I did not drive enough, so the disc rust, so it is my fault.....wtf seriously? There's a certain mileage that I need to achieve to have warranty?
Contact MB corporate for your region.

Also, register on the MB Private Lounge and reach out to AMG for additional support.

https://www.mercedes-amg.com/private...ration/welcome
Old 07-23-2017, 04:27 PM

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG C63S
Just contact MB corporate in your country it will be sorted out within 10 minutes. Stop discussing this with the Dealer, go around him.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C63 S
Originally Posted by CT-AMG
Just contact MB corporate in your country it will be sorted out within 10 minutes. Stop discussing this with the Dealer, go around him.
+1

That should resolve this immediately.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 AMG C63S Brilliant Blue

I am located in Hong Kong, there is only 1 dealer here, not sure what I can do now.

Wow, 1 Mercedes dealer to serve a population of over 7 million, many of which are wealthy enough to buy these cars. Just call Mercedes corporate and be done with it.