C63s coupe intake design flaw?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2017 | 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Air Force

2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Here's How A Corvette Was Totaled Because Of One Inch Of Damage

Holy Crap! Another strange story of a car deemed by insurance as a total loss. A Corvette with 1 inch of damage:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthu...rGs?li=BBnbfcL
Old 06-08-2018 | 03:11 PM

w209 clk55 amg
A bit of a thread revival and also my first post but thought id join in and let you all know that this problem also relates to the w209 mercedes too
Old 06-08-2018 | 03:30 PM

w209 clk55 amg
I was on way home from Milton keynes last sunday eve when we was hit by the flash storms, according to the news we actually had 2 months of rain in just 2 hours, within half hour alone the roads went from totally dry to having to drive at 5mph, yes it was bad but no worse than other storms I have driven in over the years

Anyway.... I was driving in the rain and a van went past throwing water all over my windscreen / front of my car and into my air intakes via my front grill and my car ground to a holt with a horrible metalic clonking sound and cut out, to make things even worse, as I went to get out the car and another t**t in a 4x4 decides it will be funny to do the same thing again whilst my door is open, soaking both me and also the inside of my car with a good few inches of water , every other car that went down the same road was fine (must have had 50 or so go past) but my Mercedes has the most stupid of air duct designs as the c63 does

I called breakdown and they pulled apart my airfilter and it was full of water as was my air flow meter etc, the water has been sucked through my air system and all into the engine and "hydro locked" it, he said it's probably done major damage to the rods, pistons and valves and I'm not to try starting it atal I then had to wait on a recovery truck for 7hrs until 4am, finally getting home around 6am

This tuesday the insurance people have been out and as with autovlogs case they have written my baby off

To say i'm gutted is an understatement, This was only the second time I have took it out after coming out the bodyshop just a week before where it had spent 14 months or so in the making to make sure it was spot on and ready for the shows, I'm not ashamed to say I have been in bits the last few days, stupid I know getting upset over a car but I truly am devastated (before and after pics of the cars transformation below)

All that being said, atleast my car was on an agreed valuation policy, so now once I recieve my settlement i can go shopping for a c63 (and stay away from puddles this time lol)

Old 06-08-2018 | 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 c55 silver, 98 Imperial Red C43
You know youtube people blow **** out of proportion to gain views and subscribers right?
Old 06-08-2018 | 05:49 PM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
Originally Posted by PJmak
You know youtube people blow **** out of proportion to gain views and subscribers right?
Exactly, I don't think anyone else on this forum has had the same issue as the AutoVlog guy.
Old 06-08-2018 | 06:05 PM

C63 AMG S Coupe (Sept. 2017)
Somehow he has a subscriber base and I can only assume it’s children/teens.
Old 06-08-2018 | 06:45 PM

w209 clk55 amg
Funny you should say that, it was my 8 year old son who showed me the autovlog video after my car hydrolocked, kids these days are obsessed with these youtubers
Old 09-07-2018 | 05:55 PM

2016 c63s
c63S Hydrolock

I am having the same problem, small amount of water and engine hydrylocked apparently the only solution is a total loss or a full replacement, any suggestions it seems crazy that no one can work on an engine.
Old 09-07-2018 | 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by c63stexas
I am having the same problem, small amount of water and engine hydrylocked apparently the only solution is a total loss or a full replacement, any suggestions it seems crazy that no one can work on an engine.
It’s the same if you hydrolock ANY engine. It doesn’t matter how much water got in, once it’s locked up it’s done. Especially on an AMG where it’s hand built, it’s not exactly an easy fix when the entire engine needs replacement.

Pony up and file the insurance claim. Mercedes didn’t sell you an SUV with an intake snorkel, so why are people driving in pools of water deep enough to submerge the intakes? Or shocked when it happens?
Old 09-08-2018 | 12:39 PM

w209 clk55 amg
I turned out to be a very luck man with my Mercedes

the insurance people came out and deemed it a right off, I had an agreed value of 19k on my car

As I had put so much work into my car the plan was to buy it back from them and use the money to find a replacement engine

I didn't touch the car for a few weeks whilst awaiting settlement, once this had came through I thought I may as Well see what I can do with the current engine (see how bad it was)

firstly I dropped out all the water contaminated oil and refilled with fresh oil, then removed all spark plugs and turned engine over to expel any water in there, loads came out but to my surprise it turned very freely (no bent rods etc)

I then refitted all plugs and fired it up, a few splutters and some steam out the exhaust but this soon cleared, left her running for around an hour and by that time she was purring like before the water had got in there, ticking over perfectly

I decided it's prob best to then fully flush the oil with fresh filter and refil, a set of new plugs etc and all is good, lastly i had someone out who stuck a scope down the bores and there is no signs of any damage atal, seems the only thing stopping my car from turning over was the water and as I never forced it I was just lucky

it's now been a good few months since getting it running again and its not missed a beat since

It cost me maybe a few hundred to fix, I used the rest of the ins pay out to buy myself one of the cars I had always wanted.... A bmw e60 m5 v10, slightly modified and tuned, pushing out nearly 550bhp

I now use the m5 as my daily car (I know I know... a v10 as a daily lol) and the Mercedes is saved for car shows / events etc

All in all I think I was very lucky, so before anyone junks there engine I'd highly recommend trying what I did and seeing how it goes, def worth the few hundred £ to see

a few pics of my new toy

Last edited by Darren-CLK55AMG; 09-08-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2018 | 12:19 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

It’s the same if you hydrolock ANY engine. It doesn’t matter how much water got in, once it’s locked up it’s done. Especially on an AMG where it’s hand built, it’s not exactly an easy fix when the entire engine needs replacement.

Pony up and file the insurance claim. Mercedes didn’t sell you an SUV with an intake snorkel, so why are people driving in pools of water deep enough to submerge the intakes? Or shocked when it happens?
I had never heard of a hydra-locked engine until I bought my C63s and saw the now infamous Vlog. I used to go through road ponding with abandon in my Audi and other vehicles. Today I thought twice about driving 25 miles in the rain. I must say I am pretty happy with the handling on wet pavement, though. The traction control does a good job.
Old 09-09-2018 | 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by DRGG
I had never heard of a hydra-locked engine until I bought my C63s and saw the now infamous Vlog. I used to go through road ponding with abandon in my Audi and other vehicles. Today I thought twice about driving 25 miles in the rain. I must say I am pretty happy with the handling on wet pavement, though. The traction control does a good job.
The only way to hydrolock an engine is to drive through a pool of water deep enough to submerge the intakes. We’re taking at least 3 feet deep of water.

Just use basic common sense. Driving in the rain poses no risk whatsoever with this car. However, plowing through a river will suck up enough water to lock up the rotating assembly in any internal combustion engine.

That Autovlog guy is an idiot and I would put money on it that he BS’d his insurance claim that he was not at fault. He more than likely misjudged the depth of a puddle during a storm, hydrolocked the engine, and then blamed a passing car that splashed water. It’s BS because the intake flaps are spring loaded and close at low speed/idle.
Old 09-10-2018 | 04:33 AM

w209 clk55 amg

The only way to hydrolock an engine is to drive through a pool of water deep enough to submerge the intakes. We’re taking at least 3 feet deep of water.

Just use basic common sense. Driving in the rain poses no risk whatsoever with this car. However, plowing through a river will suck up enough water to lock up the rotating assembly in any internal combustion engine.

That Autovlog guy is an idiot and I would put money on it that he BS’d his insurance claim that he was not at fault. He more than likely misjudged the depth of a puddle during a storm, hydrolocked the engine, and then blamed a passing car that splashed water. It’s BS because the intake flaps are spring loaded and close at low speed/idle.

Sorry but i have to correct you here, if you read my story above you'll see that a passing car was the exact reason my car became hydrolocked, water wasn't even that high, nothing I would have not driven any car in, just random puddles here and there... All it took in my case was a car going through a puddle quick enough in the opposite direction to splash water over the front grill :/

I was going maybe 5-10mph max when it happened and my engine locked up instantly and cut out, luckily one of my friends who was following me is very clued up on cars and said that the passing cars water would have been sucked in my intakes and hydrolocked the engine, he straight away warned me not to even try to turn the key until I had dropped and changed the oil and removed all the plugs or I could cause major damage, Think its down to his quick thinking that my car still lives as I had never heard of hydrolocking and I would have been sitting there trying to turn the key

Last edited by Darren-CLK55AMG; 09-10-2018 at 04:45 AM.
Old 09-10-2018 | 04:34 AM

w209 clk55 amg
Sorry for the crap picture (cant seem to work out how to upload vids direct on here) Its a still taken from my laptop of the video I took when I removed the plugs and turned the engine over, I was amazed at how much water had been sucked in during the probably 1 second it took between the car splashing the water over me and my car cutting out, only took one turn of the engine to expel everything, a big splooosh and it was all out, the next few turns simply turned freely as before, so left it all open to the elements in a heated garage for a few days, plugs went in and she fired straight up

Last edited by Darren-CLK55AMG; 09-10-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-10-2018 | 08:08 AM

C63s Coupe

Those are some pretty big words there Alex, how much money were you looking to bet that I lied to everyone and committed insurance fraud? If I'm such an Idiot why do you follow me on IG?
Old 09-10-2018 | 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by MikeV63
Those are some pretty big words there Alex, how much money were you looking to bet that I lied to everyone and committed insurance fraud? If I'm such an Idiot why do you follow me on IG?
It’s your word against everyone else’s. You’re the only person that was there to witness it. You’re also the only person to publicly claim (and monetize) this happening on a W205 C63. Where are all the other M177’s hydrolocked from splashes? Why hasn’t MB recalled the intakes or changed the design on the facelift?

I follow lots of people on IG, thanks for reminding me to unfollow you.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy_c63s (03-29-2022)
Old 09-10-2018 | 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by Darren-CLK55AMG
Sorry but i have to correct you here, if you read my story above you'll see that a passing car was the exact reason my car became hydrolocked, water wasn't even that high, nothing I would have not driven any car in, just random puddles here and there... All it took in my case was a car going through a puddle quick enough in the opposite direction to splash water over the front grill :/

I was going maybe 5-10mph max when it happened and my engine locked up instantly and cut out, luckily one of my friends who was following me is very clued up on cars and said that the passing cars water would have been sucked in my intakes and hydrolocked the engine, he straight away warned me not to even try to turn the key until I had dropped and changed the oil and removed all the plugs or I could cause major damage, Think its down to his quick thinking that my car still lives as I had never heard of hydrolocking and I would have been sitting there trying to turn the key
Your experience isn’t relevant because your car isn’t a W205 C63. Different car, engine, and intake design. Apples to oranges.
Old 09-11-2018 | 03:01 AM

w209 clk55 amg
Tbh my experience is relevant, ok mime isn't a c63 but it has the same mercedes front air scoop design that pulls air from behind the front grill.... or in my case water :/, meaning that hydrolocking is possible in both engines
Old 09-11-2018 | 03:04 AM

w209 clk55 amg
Maybe the thread should be entitled "Mercedes intake design flaw"
Old 09-11-2018 | 09:32 AM

'15 C63S

You can move the intake flap easily with your finger, so I'm assuming a wave of water going double-digit speeds could easily force it open.

You're relatively new to Texas, but you'll learn soon enough about the tidal waves caused by asshats in pickup trucks plowing through flooded streets.

And to be clear, I don't think there is any flaw in the intake design on the W205/M177. It's designed for a car, not a boat.
Old 09-11-2018 | 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by msd3075
You can move the intake flap easily with your finger, so I'm assuming a wave of water going double-digit speeds could easily force it open.

You're relatively new to Texas, but you'll learn soon enough about the tidal waves caused by asshats in pickup trucks plowing through flooded streets.

And to be clear, I don't think there is any flaw in the intake design on the W205/M177. It's designed for a car, not a boat.
I’m originally from the north east (New York and Boston) and the wet weather conditions are much worse than in Austin. Big rain storms, snow, ice, etc. In my 30+ years of living on the East Coast, I never once drove down a flooded road or had issues with hydro locked engines. Even on highly modified cars I had with large, exposed, open air intakes.

Like you said, this is a car not a boat. Even if the water gets splashed into the intake flap, that water would have to travel 1.5 feet to reach the filter, completely saturate it/soak through it, and ingest enough water to lock up the engine. The chances of that happening from one splash is slim to none. This is why it's not a widespread issue - no one else has experienced this scenario with their W205 C63 to my knowledge. Has anyone put their car through an automated car wash where the engine is running? If it was that easy, you'd be hearing more stories of W205 C63 hydrolocking when pressurized water is sprayed on the front end. You need a fairly large amount of water to reach and pass through the filter, and that generally only happens when it's submerged under water (all it takes is 1 second in a deep puddle and you'll do it).

I don't think there is a flaw with the intake either. I just think this YouTuber didn't take appropriate precautions when driving in a flooded area he was well aware of. He monetized the videos and made them clickbait. His alarmist video is why this thread was started. Yet, there's not a single instance of this happening to anyone else with the W205 C63.

So no, there is no intake design flaw. There was, however, a major driver flaw.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 09-11-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2018 | 02:27 AM

C63S AMG Coupe
In a recent video, our AutoVlog friend called our attention to the care instructions where MB advises not to direct any water directly toward the air intakes when washing the car. Really? So now I have to add that to my list of firsts along with the term "hydrolocked." For the sake of discussion, I thought that was interesting.
Old 09-12-2018 | 03:44 AM

2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.

It’s your word against everyone else’s. You’re the only person that was there to witness it. You’re also the only person to publicly claim (and monetize) this happening on a W205 C63. Where are all the other M177’s hydrolocked from splashes? Why hasn’t MB recalled the intakes or changed the design on the facelift?

I follow lots of people on IG, thanks for reminding me to unfollow you.
I don’t see why you have escalated the discussion to fingerpointing.

How about some unpacking now of your logic.

**It’s your word against everyone else’s.**
Who is “everyone else?”
a) You assume you are able to hear the “word” of “everyone else,” which is impossible
b) Just because “everyone else” doesn’t voice his or her “word” doesn’t mean “everyone else” doesn’t have a relevant experience. Just because you haven’t heard it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.
c) Who says that the experience of anyone else is relevant to this person’s situation? Why should “everyone else” even being considered? Is this a competition?

**You’re the only person that was there to witness it.**
a) Nice of you to suggest the person is a liar.
b) The person submitted video showing footage during the event itself and a thorough and forthcoming analysis of the same.
c) Witnesses were the toll booth operator, the gentleman who offered to help, and his friends who later came to help.

**You’re also the only person to publicly claim... this happening on a W205 C63. Where are all the other M177’s hydrolocked from splashes?**
a) You have no way of identifying everybody who claims what, how, and when.
b) Whether the claim is made publicly or privately doesn’t change the circumstances of the claim.
c) You assume that just because you don’t know about “all the other” claims, these (1) must not exist, (2) the circumstances that could have caused these claims could not have happened.

**Why hasn’t MB recalled the intakes or changed the design on the facelift?**
You assume
(a) that Mercedes will perform according to your standards;
(b) That Mercedes doesn’t know about the issue.
Have you ever owned a Ferrari? Have you ever known a manufacturer to NOT CARE about its design flaws or about the claims of customers?

Your logic demonstrates the kind of thinking you put into your argument. I think it’s safe to say that members around here don’t appreciate the fingerpointing and the lack of good will on your part.

In candid discussions we should keep each other honest, but you’ve gone too far. This forum is for enthusiasts, not for kangaroo court police work.

Last edited by 348SStb; 09-12-2018 at 03:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
buganim (04-12-2020)
Old 09-12-2018 | 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
If you look into it this YouTuber BS'd MBUSA for another car. He screwed the car up himself. You won't hydrolock your car unless there is a lot of flooding, but you also have to use your better judgement. As with everything, warranty doesn't cover stupidity.
Old 09-12-2018 | 11:40 AM

2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by Adi-Benz
If you look into it this YouTuber BS'd MBUSA for another car. He screwed the car up himself. You won't hydrolock your car unless there is a lot of flooding, but you also have to use your better judgement. As with everything, warranty doesn't cover stupidity.
Assuming stupidity can be very stupid.

Have you you ever been in a real world situation in which a torrential downpour comes unexpectedly? Sometimes there isn’t time or occasion to stop the vehicle in the middle of a busy road with hazards of all kinds converging at a time of relative chaos, panic, and little time for decision-making.

Being caught in in a downpour could result in somebody driving in conditions where there is excessive water, excessive wake and spray caused by other vehicles, and insufficient conditions to execute a strategy of saving a car’s intake system over saving a life.

Watch the movie “Sully.” Real-world scenarios sometimes don’t afford us the benefit of hindsight, which gives us all sorts of time to make calculations and evaluate all the permutations. Good grief.

Guilty until proven innocent, as they say.

Last edited by 348SStb; 09-12-2018 at 11:43 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63s coupe intake design flaw?