Recall on the 2017 C63s Sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
Recall on the 2017 C63s Sedan?

Anyone get a recall notice?

I opened the Mercedes Me app and it said theres a recall on the car.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Lexus GS 350 F-Sport
Originally Posted by digitalnav
Anyone get a recall notice?

I opened the Mercedes Me app and it said theres a recall on the car.
I just searched my VIN on the Mercedes site, and it said my 2017 sedan is not currently affected by a safety recall.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts
'15 C63S
Nothing on my Mercedes.me account for any of my MBs.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 PM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by vaelin
Nothing on my Mercedes.me account for any of my MBs.
Yeah... reset the app it still shows up on the app but search my VIN and nothing comes up.

Guess its a bug.

Sidenote: Hows the tune holding up? Im dying here waiting haha.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:49 PM

'15 C63S
Totally forget it's there. Which is good.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17' C63s sedan
Dinan tune is taking too long to come out..debating to go with RennTech
Old 09-09-2017, 02:13 AM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by Michael Scott
Dinan tune is taking too long to come out..debating to go with RennTech
Yeah seriously
Old 09-09-2017, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
17' C63s sedan
Yeah seriously
Renntech is probably a better tune..they focus primarily on Mercedes Benz, unlike Dinan with BMW....plus having the Renntech tune doesn't void your warranty either
Old 09-09-2017, 02:59 AM

C63S Sedan
Renntech is probably a better tune..they focus primarily on Mercedes Benz, unlike Dinan with BMW....plus having the Renntech tune doesn't void your warranty either
Where is this warranty info
Old 09-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
The Renntech tune does in fact void the MB warranty that pertains to anything the tune would affect.

That being said, Renntech has it's own warranty that replaces anything MB voids. You just deal with Renntech instead of MB.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:21 PM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by msd3075
The Renntech tune does in fact void the MB warranty that pertains to anything the tune would affect.

That being said, Renntech has it's own warranty that replaces anything MB voids. You just deal with Renntech instead of MB.
Eh, guess id rather wait for Dinan then so i can deal with MB.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:57 PM

'15 C63S
Eh, guess id rather wait for Dinan then so i can deal with MB.

Dinan's warranty will be identical to what Renntech offers.

The MB dealer will cover it under warranty, but their claim will be going to Renntech/Dinan, not to MBUSA.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:01 PM

C63S Sedan
Dinan's warranty will be identical to what Renntech offers.

The MB dealer will cover it under warranty, but their claim will be going to Renntech/Dinan, not to MBUSA.
Wish the Dinan or Renntech guys on this forum could clarify
Old 09-09-2017, 07:12 PM

'15 C63S
Wish the Dinan or Renntech guys on this forum could clarify
I've had experience with Renntech way in the past and had the warranty terms explained to me. I'm assuming it hasn't changed since then.

Renntech covers whatever part of the warranty that MBUSA will deny due to the modifications. Yes you have a full warranty, but it's a mix between what MBUSA still covers and what Rentech takes over.

If you purchase the mods through a MB dealership, they deal with the warranty claim for you. From your end it still feels like you have the same warranty, but in reality you have two warranties; one covering everything but subject to voiding if mods are done, and another that picks up the slack if the original doesn't cover the fix.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:14 PM

C63S Sedan
I've had experience with Renntech way in the past and had the warranty terms explained to me. I'm assuming it hasn't changed since then.

Renntech covers whatever part of the warranty that MBUSA will deny due to the modifications. Yes you have a full warranty, but it's a mix between what MBUSA still covers and what Rentech takes over.

If you purchase the mods through a MB dealership, they deal with the warranty claim for you. From your end it still feels like you have the same warranty, but in reality you have two warranties; one covering everything but subject to voiding if mods are done, and another that picks up the slack if the original doesn't cover the fix.
So what if i get it done from a dealer that isnt partnered with Renntech?

I dont want to drive 200 miles everytime i want to service my car (closest renntech MB dealer)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:54 PM

'15 C63S
So what if i get it done from a dealer that isnt partnered with Renntech?

I dont want to drive 200 miles everytime i want to service my car (closest renntech MB dealer)
MBUSA only voids the parts of the warranty that would be affected by the mods.

So many people think a tune voids everything in the MB warranty. Not true. Your car might get flagged if it's hooked up to the dealerships computer system, but the only way a warranty is even discussed is if the dealer attempts a claim.

You have to remember that your dealership is exactly that, a dealer. They are not MBUSA. The dealer does nor deny warranty coverage, MBUSA does.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I asked a local MB dealer/AMG performance center that's also a certified RennTech dealer and they said in an email "the warranty on the ECU from Mercedes is VOID immediately upon modification". So they're required to flag and report upon flashing.

RennTech has their own warranty, so you won't be dealing with MB for any repairs related to the drivetrain, including the ECU... which controls much more than just your engine/trans. Just something to consider.

And please don't bring up Magnuson-Moss. Good luck fighting that when you flash your ECU (which controls basically every drivetrain component). You can kiss your coverage goodbye from MB, and when you go to resell your car you will need to disclose that to any buyer since it will not have the full warranty intact.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 09-10-2017 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S AMG
MBUSA only voids the parts of the warranty that would be affected by the mods.

So many people think a tune voids everything in the MB warranty. Not true. Your car might get flagged if it's hooked up to the dealerships computer system, but the only way a warranty is even discussed is if the dealer attempts a claim.

You have to remember that your dealership is exactly that, a dealer. They are not MBUSA. The dealer does nor deny warranty coverage, MBUSA does.
Ah this reminds me of my Subaru days. I had a 15' WRX STI and the motor grenaded after 2k miles. It was on a Cobb OTS map and no other mods. Flashed back to stock and took the car to the dealer. After much back and forth, they replaced motor under warranty. D-bag svc manager stated this was a "one time courtesy repair" citing that when they hooked the car up it only registered 7 key turns over its lifespan.

Fast forward through tons of abuse from said dealer and horrible horrible customer service (you guys have no idea how lucky we are/how great MB cust service is) to the Brembo brakes eating it at 15k miles. Mind you i was never hard on the car nor did I auto X it. Took the vehicle to stealership. low and behold, I receive a call in a few hours from the svc manager stating that the brakes/rotors were repaired under warranty but this would be the last time anything was covered due to the ECU being modded. Instead of wrecking the car into the showroom and setting it on fire, I bought my 17' C63S AMG and lived happily ever after.

Moral of the story: we have very expensive cars. If you tune it, be prepared to potentially empty your pockets to repair it. I will be tuning my C63S shortly and can't wait to enjoy the hell out of it!!!

Last edited by Wexlax732; 09-10-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
Yeah seriously

its only been a couple months guys development wise for Dinan on this platform. That's not long in my opinion for a car this sophisticated to do tuning development work. We're not driving Honda's people, better to be spot on. maybe give them a call and see when the projected release date is
Old 09-11-2017, 12:14 PM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by subzero05
its only been a couple months guys development wise for Dinan on this platform. That's not long in my opinion for a car this sophisticated to do tuning development work. We're not driving Honda's people, better to be spot on. maybe give them a call and see when the projected release date is
Already shot them an email on Friday.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:57 PM

'15 C63S
You like, totally hijacked your own thread nav.

Anyways, the Dinan warranty method is just like RennTech's, they cover what MBUSA will deny.

It's a conservative (if you can say 600+ hp conservative) piggyback tune with several months of live testing. They're not going to make it configurable with regards to messing with the tune further while covering the warranty. As for sophistication and experience, given they've got decades of experience with tuning in general, and the 4.0L biturbo is a completely new platform for all tuners, they're all starting at the same place as all the other tuners, unless those tuners got advanced tech from Mercedes-AMG before the platform was released. So I wouldn't discount the work they've done; I was happy with my Rebellion tune before this Dinan one, but the Dinan one is by far better in every way.

To each their own though; given you're in the Bay area and there's three Dinan service centers in the area, it'd be silly to go for another solution that's a piggyback. The only thing I'd take over this Dinan tune is a full-on ECU flash, and that's only with supporting mods.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:34 AM

CL500
Already shot them an email on Friday.

maybe they would even do you a solid on install since you are local to them for a forum write up?. never hurts to ask!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:19 AM

C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by subzero05
maybe they would even do you a solid on install since you are local to them for a forum write up?. never hurts to ask!
Vaelin already took that spot haha
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM

CL500
Vaelin already took that spot haha

his was the prototype unit and he helped with R&D. Yours would be a production ready units im sure and perhaps they would like the local guys running their stuff and pushing it?. Never hurts to ask