Sponsored by:

KW HAS Spring?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Yeah I had KW v3's on my e92 335i and they made all sorts of squeaking and noises... that's the only thing holding me back from KW springs on my c63... wish bilstein made just lowering springs... don't want to lose the stock adjustability with coilovers...
Old 03-12-2018, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 605 Likes on 345 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by oajr
has anyone here ever measured their ride height (on a relatively flat surface) on a random basis? any changes in ride height?

i had the rear springs re-adjusted again......noise gone for the moment. my bet is that it returns once again.
What other issues are you seeing? Is it constantly making noise of just on inclines/declines or going in and out of steep driveways? I know they will take some time to "settle" and that will be the final ride height, but I don't want to deal with all these issues... I'm going to do the KW install soon.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
Originally Posted by raudiace4
What other issues are you seeing? Is it constantly making noise of just on inclines/declines or going in and out of steep driveways? I know they will take some time to "settle" and that will be the final ride height, but I don't want to deal with all these issues... I'm going to do the KW install soon.
since re-adjusting the rear ride height the noises have not returned. The noise only occurred when going up/down steep driveways or traversing a large undulation. So, the noise was there after install, then went away for a couple of days after lifting the car and examining the rear units, then came back days later after a steep driveway, and then we re-adjusted the rear ride height and the noise hasn’t come back since.

A nice kit, less harsh than stock springs, but maybe other, more expensive kits are even better? I like the clicking adjustability of the weistech kit.
The following users liked this post:
raudiace4 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

since re-adjusting the rear ride height the noises have not returned. The noise only occurred when going up/down steep driveways or traversing a large undulation. So, the noise was there after install, then went away for a couple of days after lifting the car and examining the rear units, then came back days later after a steep driveway, and then we re-adjusted the rear ride height and the noise hasn’t come back since.

A nice kit, less harsh than stock springs, but maybe other, more expensive kits are even better? I like the clicking adjustability of the weistech kit.
Nice, glad it worked out for you.

Do you have any pictures of your car lowered? I want to try to run 305/265 rear/front PS4s, so trying to judge how low it can possibly be while still fitting those meats on the rear.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Received 521 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Yes KW HAS issues here.

I have the same problem when backing out of my steep driveway going over the transition strip at the bottom. I get a click/popping sound. It's almost as if the spring is floating for the spit second as the tire is in the air before it reconnects with the street below. When the re-compression of the spring occurs the sound is made.

I called my tech about this problem and he said it's due to the design. I do not know if that is a fact but something is not right.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:09 PM

2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
Originally Posted by Rock
Yes KW HAS issues here.

I have the same problem when backing out of my steep driveway going over the transition strip at the bottom. I get a click/popping sound. It's almost as if the spring is floating for the spit second as the tire is in the air before it reconnects with the street below. When the re-compression of the spring occurs the sound is made.

I called my tech about this problem and he said it's due to the design. I do not know if that is a fact but something is not right.
knowing what i know now, and after having read about your own experience, i'm most likely going to order some other kit or go back to stock.

like you said, something just ain't right.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:01 PM

2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
Nice, glad it worked out for you.

Do you have any pictures of your car lowered? .
12mm spacers all around

Old 03-13-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Porsche 911, C63S AMG, 300CE 24
Nice colour! I'm maybe a tad lower, switching to H&R springs, I've seen them installed and they're about the same height and I'm told no noise as they're not adjustable with spring hats etc, just replacement springs.

I have the KMAC (top control arm version) kits installed front and rear, car was horrid to drive without, you can see how i have a lot less camber, they took out about 2 degrees.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Does the KMac kit fix the camber issues by pushing out the top of the wheel or by pulling in the bottom? Or do both move equally. I have very little clearance between the fender and the wheel in the back, so hoping the top doesn't move out too much.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:51 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by spence88mph
Nice colour! I'm maybe a tad lower, switching to H&R springs, I've seen them installed and they're about the same height and I'm told no noise as they're not adjustable with spring hats etc, just replacement springs.

I have the KMAC (top control arm version) kits installed front and rear, car was horrid to drive without, you can see how i have a lot less camber, they took out about 2 degrees.

Hey I recognize that dealership, quick shout out to Joseph lol

I love the way your C63 looks with a lot of that negative camber taken out and your tyres will benefit big time too, I'll bet it also "feels" better for street driving I've been using Kmac kits since the early 90's. also always used Eibach springs with zero issues as well.

Anyone know if there's any negative feed back on other alternatives such as the Weistec kit ??
Old 03-14-2018, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by AMGWagon
Does the KMac kit fix the camber issues by pushing out the top of the wheel or by pulling in the bottom? Or do both move equally. I have very little clearance between the fender and the wheel in the back, so hoping the top doesn't move out too much.
So the first version of the KMac adjusted the bottom but the second version, the one I have adjusts the top. I know what you mean, if I fitted spacers I’m sure I would rub, my car doesn’t have spacers.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by AV1
Hey I recognize that dealership, quick shout out to Joseph lol

I love the way your C63 looks with a lot of that negative camber taken out and your tyres will benefit big time too, I'll bet it also "feels" better for street driving I've been using Kmac kits since the early 90's. also always used Eibach springs with zero issues as well.

Anyone know if there's any negative feed back on other alternatives such as the Weistec kit ??
Thanks mate, car just hit 10K, the tyres are shagged! TBH I think lowering, at least a W205 Coupe, is not ideal. I scanned tonight and found it’s throwing codes front left and right about ride height. I am either going back to stock or H&R springs. It does drIve night and day better with the KMac kits but the sound is too much for me. Spot on too, I bought the car from Joseph and his team, was a great experience.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:46 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI

Thanks mate, car just hit 10K, the tyres are shagged! TBH I think lowering, at least a W205 Coupe, is not ideal. I scanned tonight and found it’s throwing codes front left and right about ride height. I am either going back to stock or H&R springs. It does drIve night and day better with the KMac kits but the sound is too much for me. Spot on too, I bought the car from Joseph and his team, was a great experience.
Great info and good to know all of this as those of us wanting to buy a post mid life update C63 (coupe for me also) can make informed decisions on similar mods, I'm most probably going to steer away now from these adjustable height kits unless someone out there produces one with zero issues...

Do you know if just changing the springs will throw error codes ??

And yes Joseph is the man !!! bought my first Merc off him back in 2011 and we've been good mates ever since
Old 03-14-2018, 11:09 PM
SPONSOR

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
So the first version of the KMac adjusted the bottom but the second version, the one I have adjusts the top. I know what you mean, if I fitted spacers I’m sure I would rub, my car doesn’t have spacers.
For the C63/S, S63/S65 we manufacture ‘2’ Front kits both providing precise Camber and Caster adjustment

#503316K adjusting lower arms (Positive or Negative)

#503216-1K adjusting upper arms (Positive or Negative)
(instruction sheets attached)

While for the rear #502226K Camber (and extra) Toe
(this rear kit adjusts lower arms - (retaining clearance top of tire to outer fender)

Like the front kits rear can be also adjusted accurately under load – direct on alignment rack !

Also manufacture replacement bushings for the 6 multi-link rear arms. Provides significantly improved traction, steering response. Especially when applying power lane changing/overtaking $502628K

Kits $480 each, Delivery $30 one kit $20 each additional.
Visa, M/Card or PayPal.

As per attached quick referrence sheet we now manufacture front and rear adjuster kits (strut tops and bushings) to suit virtually every Mercedes Model 1968 to 2018!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Quick Referrence.pdf (578.6 KB, 115 views)
File Type: pdf

Last edited by K-Mac; 03-15-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63 AMG Wagon
Originally Posted by K-Mac
For the C63/S, S63/S65 we manufacture ‘2’ Front kits both providing precise Camber and Caster adjustment

#503316K adjusting lower arms (Positive or Negative)

#503216-1K adjusting upper arms (Positive or Negative)
(instruction sheets attached)

While for the rear #502226K Camber (and extra) Toe
(this rear kit adjusts lower arms - (retaining clearance top of tire to outer fender)

Like the front kits rear can be also adjusted accurately under load – direct on alignment rack !

Also manufacture replacement bushings for the 6 multi-link rear arms. Provides significantly improved traction, steering response. Especially when applying power lane changing/overtaking $502628K

Kits $480 each, Delivery $30 one kit $20 each additional.
Visa, M/Card or PayPal.

As per attached quick referrence sheet we now manufacture front and rear adjuster kits (strut tops and bushings) to suit virtually every Mercedes Model 1968 to 2018!
Any recommended installers in Auckland, NZ?
Old 03-15-2018, 01:35 AM
SPONSOR

Received 155 Likes on 125 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by AMGWagon
Any recommended installers in Auckland, NZ?
No – as per instructions attached (in above reply) have designed so any tire dealer or alignment shop can install.

No modifications required. Bush extraction / insertion tools are included (the front “lower arms only” require a garage press).
Old 03-15-2018, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

knowing what i know now, and after having read about your own experience, i'm most likely going to order some other kit or go back to stock.

like you said, something just ain't right.
I'm waiting to install my kit till I know that this isn't an issue with all the kits, you said your noises went away after re-adjusting right? Why are you still not happy with the KW kit? Could it be installer error?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your ride height is perfect. So you had noise issues with the KW kit as well?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you guys tried to contact KW? I did and they have no knowledge or any prior complaints of noises or issues with the kit for the coupe part # 25325089.

If you have the kit installed, and had issues please report/send pics of the installed kits to KW so they can identify if its a design error with the kit or installer error.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:02 PM

2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
the installation (instructions) are very straightforward, but that's not to say that the noises aren't due to installer errors. having said that, c63 owners have complained about odd noises, and not only that, many on the BMW forum boards have the same or similar complaint. are they all related? i have no idea. were they all due to installer error? i have no idea, but the fact of the matter is that folks have complained of noises coming from their KW HAS units. in my case (well illustrated/described above), the "noises" haven't shown up since last adjustment to the rear ride height. have the springs settled? i really don't know, what i do know is, that the sounds have come and gone between the original install and subsequent adjustments, i just haven't heard the same noises since the last tech session.

the adjustability is a great feature, but i would rather have a set of non-adjustable springs that were to my liking in "height" terms. i do like the weistech kit on face value, i'm not sure i want to spend the extra money on it though (after already spending for KW HAS and an alignment).

regards,
Old 03-18-2018, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by AV1
Great info and good to know all of this as those of us wanting to buy a post mid life update C63 (coupe for me also) can make informed decisions on similar mods, I'm most probably going to steer away now from these adjustable height kits unless someone out there produces one with zero issues...

Do you know if just changing the springs will throw error codes ??

And yes Joseph is the man !!! bought my first Merc off him back in 2011 and we've been good mates ever since
Sorry about my late reply, I don't think the codes are due to the KW kit, I believe the shocks throw error codes because of the ride height, the H&R spring kit is a pretty similar height though.

I'm switching to the H&R springs this week, I'll post the results.

I only get the error codes when i do high speed cornering, on test tracks, image of scan attached.. (Ignore the vehicle details, my car wasn't in the database)

Maybe we can get a group buy on the facelift!, I'll more than likely update too.

Your ride height is perfect. So you had noise issues with the KW kit as well?
Thanks, it looks great but I wouldn't recommend lowering in general to be honest.
Yep, lots of noises from install but to be fair I have had similar sounds in my other cars with coils.
My car is now constantly making noises from the rear, pulling it all apart tomorrow, will update you guys.
The following users liked this post:
AV1 (03-19-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 07:17 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Thanks again for the helpful info Spence88
Old 03-19-2018, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sorry about my late reply, I don't think the codes are due to the KW kit, I believe the shocks throw error codes because of the ride height, the H&R spring kit is a pretty similar height though.

I'm switching to the H&R springs this week, I'll post the results.

I only get the error codes when i do high speed cornering, on test tracks, image of scan attached.. (Ignore the vehicle details, my car wasn't in the database)

Maybe we can get a group buy on the facelift!, I'll more than likely update too.

Thanks, it looks great but I wouldn't recommend lowering in general to be honest.
Yep, lots of noises from install but to be fair I have had similar sounds in my other cars with coils.
My car is now constantly making noises from the rear, pulling it all apart tomorrow, will update you guys.

Thanks for the info! I have my kit sitting in my basement ready for install.. I'm going to hold off now. This sucks, I've never had issues with my previous cars lowered with KW (2014 E63).
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 PM

2018 Mercedes C63s AMG
fwiw.....still no noises since we last raised the car, and i'm starting to wonder if all of the initial noises were all due to "settling in." but why would the noises exist, then NOT exist (after raising), then return after going up a steep slope, then go away after raising/adjusting? regardless, i've traversed some steep slopes over the last couple of weeks without incident.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
fwiw.....still no noises since we last raised the car, and i'm starting to wonder if all of the initial noises were all due to "settling in." but why would the noises exist, then NOT exist (after raising), then return after going up a steep slope, then go away after raising/adjusting? regardless, i've traversed some steep slopes over the last couple of weeks without incident.
When did you get it installed.

Mine became fine after 3-4 weeks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: KW HAS Spring?