Sponsored by:

Head-Up Display (HUD) and polarized sunglasses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 08:09 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
Head-Up Display (HUD) and polarized sunglasses

I'm looking to replace my trusty polarized Ray Ban Predators as they have seen better days. The problem is I'm afraid no matter what I get, I'm still going to have difficulty seeing the HUD during the day with sunglasses on.

Are all polarized sunglasses the same? Anyone have a decent pair of glasses that reduce glare/reflections but don't completely wash away the HUD?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:11 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
I'm looking to replace my trusty polarized Ray Ban Predators as they have seen better days. The problem is I'm afraid no matter what I get, I'm still going to have difficulty seeing the HUD during the day with sunglasses on.

Are all polarized sunglasses the same? Anyone have a decent pair of glasses that reduce glare/reflections but don't completely wash away the HUD?
Dumbed down explanation - Polarized lenses work by filtering out light that isn't perpendicular to your eye (massively oversimplified). HUD's are a reflection/glare and most of the light that hits your eye is sent your way in a scattered fashion so most of the light will get filtered out thus washing out the image.

Not all polarized lenses are created equal in composition or chemical coatings so you might try to find a cheap pair that doesn't have the best filter and use them as your "driving glasses." That way you can get a nice pair for your other needs outside of the car.

My $0.02
The following users liked this post:
GordonGEICO (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
In response to the second part of your question... any of the Oakley non-polarized "Prizm" lenses (lots of other brands with similar technology) will suit you well.

I have to have polarized lenses when fishing, snowboarding, etc., but find them distracting for driving even though I really like them for every other application. Using polarized glasses, there is a lot of distortion from my window tint, I can't quickly glance at my iPhone screen unless it is turned sideways, have harder time reading reflective-coated street signs, and also have a harder time reading info on the center console media center.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:24 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
Originally Posted by HarrySeaward
In response to the second part of your question... any of the Oakley non-polarized "Prizm" lenses (lots of other brands with similar technology) will suit you well.

I have to have polarized lenses when fishing, snowboarding, etc., but find them distracting for driving even though I really like them for every other application. Using polarized glasses, there is a lot of distortion from my window tint, I can't quickly glance at my iPhone screen unless it is turned sideways, have harder time reading reflective-coated street signs, and also have a harder time reading info on the center console media center.
I'll definitely check that out (the "Prizm"). I rarely shop for new sunglasses and I think I've had my current pair for about 10 years (and they look it) so I don't know much about what's out right now. I also noticed what you're talking about with my previous car and its tint, so I went with a pretty mild 35% this time (also to help driving at night). Thanks.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
I have polarized Ray Bans, Tom Ford, Robert Marc, and they all work fine with the HUD.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 X5 msportline / C6 corvette
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
I have polarized Ray Bans, Tom Ford, Robert Marc, and they all work fine with the HUD.
Well, then your glasses apparently are not really polarized. Sure you may be able to make out the HUD, but I wouldn't call that "working fine" but it's much much brighter without polarized lenses.
The following 2 users liked this post by CitznFish:
fendalton (01-16-2023), Jollyfish (05-17-2022)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by CitznFish
Well, then your glasses apparently are not really polarized. Sure you may be able to make out the HUD, but I wouldn't call that "working fine" but it's much much brighter without polarized lenses.
They are polarized, and yes, I see no difference between having the glasses on or off in terms of brightness. I thought before I picked up the car that they wouldn't work with the HUD, but I was pleasantly surprised when they worked. Also, you can increase the brightness of the HUD in settings if it's still an issue. YMMV.

Last edited by AlexZTuned; 10-16-2017 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
I came across this thread from October when searching for something else. My Polarized Oakley's completely filter out the HUD in the brightest part of the day. My Polarized RayBan sunglasses however, do not. I can still see the HUD if I need to and keep in mind, it will still be faded or not as bright as without sunglasses. I also have my HUD set to the brightest setting. Hope this helps!
I tried adding the link and it does a redirect to their home page, search for model # RB3183 silver mirror lenses

https://www.ray-ban.com/usa/sunglass...3183-gunmetal/

RB3183

Last edited by MBzW205; 01-24-2018 at 01:08 PM. Reason: added link
Old 01-26-2018, 01:27 AM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Serengeti makes some good quality non-polarized sunglasses that don't impact ability to clearly see the HUD.
Old 01-26-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
My Oakley sunglasses don’t show almost any of the HUD. My Ray Bans show more, but still dull. I may go buy a set of Oakley non-polarized just for driving.