C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY2018 update:

Old 10-19-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Question MY2018 update:

Can anyone shed more light on this or if there is any way to discern which vehicles are equipped it?

I have seen some threads mention that it will be present in vehicles built post September 2017. Most of the threads including details of the updates were from back in March and seemed to be based on speculation and ordering brochures.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
C63S Coupe/Range Rover Vogue SE
Originally Posted by HarrySeaward
Can anyone shed more light on this or if there is any way to discern which vehicles are equipped it?

I have seen some threads mention that it will be present in vehicles built post September 2017. Most of the threads including details of the updates were from back in March and seemed to be based on speculation and ordering brochures.
Which particular update are you referring to? What is it supposed to do?
Old 10-19-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Porsche 911, C63S AMG, 300CE 24
My dealer told me you can tell by the black badge that comes standard on the bonnet.

Supposedly the way you connect bluetooth devices is a different screen, they must have changed something in command because I still can't get the video in motion on my MY2018 but I could if I had a MY2017.

Originally Posted by Trim105
Which particular update are you referring to? What is it supposed to do?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 225 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by spence88mph
My dealer told me you can tell by the black badge that comes standard on the bonnet.

Supposedly the way you connect bluetooth devices is a different screen, they must have changed something in command because I still can't get the video in motion on my MY2018 but I could if I had a MY2017.
Everyone I know has swapped to the new black badge, including myself lol... I would rely on that anymore.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.
The following users liked this post:
HarrySeaward (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 10:11 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by GordonGEICO
I'm pretty sure the OP is talking about Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.
That is the bulk of my question, but I am also interested in what else is in the "update". So much mystery
Old 10-21-2017, 03:42 AM

2018 C63S Coupe
Anyone in a C63 have Apple Car Play working thus far?
Old 10-23-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
AMG C63S
For Model year 2018, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available in the smartphone integration package. To select this option, you have to deselect the Multimedia Package option which includes the Touch Pad Controller, COMAND navigation, and Voice control. That was the deal breaker for me on my 2018, and would guess most others as well.
The following users liked this post:
HarrySeaward (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 11:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
I've got it coming in my build. For my uses, it will be an improvement over the stock system. I've always hated how time consuming it is to call someone from my contacts, only to have it not hear me correctly, make me choose a name, then confirm my call. Also, the difficulty in using the Nav to get directions if not already stored. Siri works fantastically for me in both those applications. Combined with seamless music selection and verbal messaging functions, I'm excited for the change!
Old 10-24-2017, 05:11 AM

2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Jeff Whitten
For Model year 2018, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are available in the smartphone integration package. To select this option, you have to deselect the Multimedia Package option which includes the Touch Pad Controller, COMAND navigation, and Voice control. That was the deal breaker for me on my 2018, and would guess most others as well.
Odd that is has to be an "either/or" situation.

Multimedia package has been pretty underwhelming. If I get a call while listening to media, it switches to phone interface requiring me to toggle back to media interface.

Hell, my Ford F-250 at least has an interface that allows me to see my phone, media, climate, and navigation all at the same time.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Odd that is has to be an "either/or" situation.

Multimedia package has been pretty underwhelming. If I get a call while listening to media, it switches to phone interface requiring me to toggle back to media interface.

Hell, my Ford F-250 at least has an interface that allows me to see my phone, media, climate, and navigation all at the same time.
You can have both in the E and S class I'm pretty sure. Still, Siri is infinitely better than MB Voice Control. I don't need the touch pad controller when my voice, or even the rotary knob is easier and faster. The online reviews look good to me. I'm curious to see if the Entertain pkg will be needed (which has the Wifi) will be needed, especially if it improves performance in weak signal areas.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:29 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S Sedan
But dont you need the COMAND option in order to get the higher-res display?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 Audi S6
I was told by a dealer 2018 added a 'solid' moonroof sunshade, instead of the translucid one, which I hate. In fact, I hate sun/moonroofs, but apparently I'd have to live with one on this car. So it has to have a solid sunshield, like almost all other cars so equipped. I think Audi also uses that crappy approach, but most others don't let any sun inside. Can somebody with a C63 or C63S comment on that? Many thanks.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:16 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by elp_jc
I was told by a dealer 2018 added a 'solid' moonroof sunshade, instead of the translucid one, which I hate. In fact, I hate sun/moonroofs, but apparently I'd have to live with one on this car. So it has to have a solid sunshield, like almost all other cars so equipped. I think Audi also uses that crappy approach, but most others don't let any sun inside. Can somebody with a C63 or C63S comment on that? Many thanks.
I have pano-roof on my '18 C63S Coupe and its sunshade is opaque. It isn't 100% completely opaque, but I certainly wouldn't call it translucent as you can not see through it with the pano-roof closed.
Old 10-24-2017, 05:39 PM

2018 Audi S6
I have pano-roof on my '18 C63S Coupe and its sunshade is opaque. It isn't 100% completely opaque, but I certainly wouldn't call it translucent as you can not see through it with the pano-roof closed.
Excellent news. Thank you for posting. Wish there was a way to order a car with a moonroof delete, even if I had to pay for it (no-cost option to delete). But at least with an opaque sunshield, I wouldn't be a deal-breaker. What I hate is the rear portion of the roof being body-colored, so not exactly a pano roof, but more of a large moonroof. Would have liked a lot better all glass (black). Oh well. Thanks again for your help.

Hey, may I ask for another favor? Need to know what speed equates to 3K rpm in 7th. You could also do exactly 2K rpm and I'd just extrapolate it. The sedan is just about perfect at 100 mph, and it wasn't lacking power (even in non-S guise), but read the coupe has a shorter final drive (diff) ratio. My problem would be the range would be unacceptable at anything less than the already paltry one from the sedan, due to higher fuel consumption (higher rpm). If it's 85 or less, it'd be a deal-breaker for sure. Thanks man.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:08 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
Hey, may I ask for another favor? Need to know what speed equates to 3K rpm in 7th. You could also do exactly 2K rpm and I'd just extrapolate it. The sedan is just about perfect at 100 mph, and it wasn't lacking power (even in non-S guise), but read the coupe has a shorter final drive (diff) ratio. My problem would be the range would be unacceptable at anything less than the already paltry one from the sedan, due to higher fuel consumption (higher rpm). If it's 85 or less, it'd be a deal-breaker for sure. Thanks man.
Maybe I'm too cautious, but I have done my best to not go over 80 mph or 4.5k RPM as I am still within the 1000 mile break in period so I can't help you there. From what I understand, you want the transmission to get situated/seated before placing significant load forces on it if you want to have as few problems with it as possible further down the road (so to speak).

If you are worried at all about fuel consumption, this is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the vehicle for you. I have found my fuel consumption to be significantly less than advertised, but I also never drive in comfort mode and fuel economy wasn't even a minute part of my decision making process when purchasing this vehicle.

It sounds like you might be better off looking into vehicles with forced induction V6's if you are that worried about noise and fuel economy. Plenty of peppy vehicles in that category that lack moonroofs, loud exhaust, and gas guzzling engines.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:17 AM

2018 Audi S6
If you are worried at all about fuel consumption, this is MOST DEFINITELY NOT the vehicle for you.
Never said I was worried about fuel economy. Only RANGE. With the same size tank, lower fuel economy equals lower range. And I understand about break-in, but said speed at 2K rpm in 7th was fine. But that's okay. I'll try it when I eventually drive one. Too many contradictions to rely on comments from others, unfortunately. Wanted to do it now, but will have to wait until I can travel and drive one next year. Again, I'm doing this for my wife. Otherwise I'd just keep my Cayman, but prefer to use the car more with her, than leave it parked most of the time, and only use it alone. Can't justify having 2 expensive cars, unfortunately. Thanks.

Last edited by elp_jc; 10-26-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:50 AM

2018 C63S Coupe
Never said I was worried about fuel economy. Only RANGE. With the same size tank, lower fuel economy equals lower range. And I understand about break-in, but said speed at 2K rpm in 7th was fine. But that's okay. I'll try it when I eventually drive one. Too many contradictions to rely on comments from others, unfortunately. Wanted to do it now, but will have to wait until I can travel and drive one next year. Again, I'm doing this for my wife. Otherwise I'd just keep my Cayman, but prefer to use the car more with her, than leave it parked most of the time, and only use it alone. Can't justify having 2 expensive cars, unfortunately. Thanks.
Range makes sense and I will let you know my 2K speed when I get my car back from getting wrapped tomorrow. There are many C63S coupes that you could test out in the central TX area, but I realize that it isn't much closer to you than the places you mentioned in California.

I am sorry to hear about your health problems and difficulties in dealing with your health insurance.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:14 PM

2018 Audi S6
Just found out we're going to Austin for Christmas, so will try to find one if I can sneak out. Otherwise it'd have to be until late Feb in Cali. My wife hates test-driving cars at dealers, so will have to do it on my own, it seems. But at least I have a benchmark now, which is the C63 base sedan (with 18s). Since I drove it for a week and immediately drove my Cayman after returning (felt like a brick. Ha ha), have a pretty good idea where the car needs to be from the suspension and noise standpoint. However, there's a HUGE difference how a car behaves from normal to rough asphalt. Bought a Lexus RC-F as my second car (before I got sick I had 2 nice cars), and it was the noisiest car I've ever owned in rough asphalt (yes, worse than my Cayman), but it was better in normal roads. And it had the quietest sport tires (MPSSs), where my Cayman has the loudest at the moment (F1s). I like my sports cars loud when I want them to, meaning being able to clearly hear the engine (naturally, not with stupid fake speaker noises, like Lexus and BMWs). But I have NEVER enjoyed road noise, and doubt anybody does, so makes no sense that Lexus and MB, legendary for their quiet cars, didn't put enough insulation to minimize it. They save the money and spin it as weight savings, which is crap. We all could lose those few lbs ourselves and enjoy a better traveling car, no? Ha ha. Had to sell the RC-F right away, since I specifically bought it in addition to my GTR to use it with my wife. And it was stiff as hell too (just like the Cayman, but with body roll; go figure). Don't want to make another $70K mistake again. Thank you all for your help and good wishes.