C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accurate HP/TQ #s on COMAND Engine Data after Tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 03:57 PM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Question Accurate HP/TQ #s on COMAND Engine Data after Tune?

When you go into the Dynamic menu in COMAND, and then Engine Data, you can pull up realtime electronic gauges for Oil Temp, Trans temp, and HP + TQ, as shown below (except in HP/TQ, not kW and NM for us US folk).

So here's my question for those of you with a tune/power mods: When you go to this menu, will it read out your updated HP/TQ figures? For example, I think the last marked hash for both on my C63 are 500 HP and 500 TQ. I doubt the hash marks will change, but will the digital readout be accurate (eg if you're now making 600hp, will it show you this on the gauge)? I would assume yes, since this is pulling realtime data off of the ECU...but curious nonetheless.

TIA!

On an aside, for those of you who frequently engage in spirited driving shortly after starting your car, THIS is the gauge you wanna go by: the oil temp gauge. Cuz your engine coolant (represented in the actual gauge cluster itself) reaches warm WELL before all of the oil (not just the oil currently lubricating the motor, but all the oil in the pan) has had time to reach normal operating temperature. So you don't wanna boost hard/redline/etc until this OIL temp gauge has left the blue (cold) and entered into the gray (normal operating temp) readings. FYI (which I believe is just past 70 C)

Last edited by FDNewbie; 11-12-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts
2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
When you go into the Dynamic menu in COMAND, and then Engine Data, you can pull up realtime electronic gauges for Oil Temp, Trans temp, and HP + TQ, as shown below (except in HP/TQ, not kW and NM for us US folk).

So here's my question for those of you with a tune/power mods: When you go to this menu, will it read out your updated HP/TQ figures? For example, I think the last marked hash for both on my C63 are 500 HP and 500 TQ. I doubt the hash marks will change, but will the digital readout be accurate (eg if you're now making 600hp, will it show you this on the gauge)? I would assume yes, since this is pulling realtime data off of the ECU...but curious nonetheless.

TIA!

On an aside, for those of you who frequently engage in spirited driving shortly after starting your car, THIS is the gauge you wanna go by: the oil temp gauge. Cuz your engine coolant (represented in the actual gauge cluster itself) reaches warm WELL before all of the oil (not just the oil currently lubricating the motor, but all the oil in the pan) has had time to reach normal operating temperature. So you don't wanna boost hard/redline/etc until this OIL temp gauge has left the blue (cold) and entered into the gray (normal operating temp) readings. FYI (which I believe is just past 70 C)

I normally get this info in the cluster ahead of the steering wheel along with the boost gauge. When it turns white on the oil temps you are good to go.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by RDOCA
I normally get this info in the cluster ahead of the steering wheel along with the boost gauge. When it turns white on the oil temps you are good to go.
+1 I’m on this menu 99% of the time and use it to monitor temps during warmup and to make sure I’m staying out of boost until the oil and trans are up to temp.

To answer OP’s question, the HP/TQ display unfortunately will not show values higher than the stock 503 HP/516 ft-lbs
Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by AlexZTuned
To answer OP’s question, the HP/TQ display unfortunately will not show values higher than the stock 503 HP/516 ft-lbs
Why not?? What is it reading the info off of, so that it doesn't actually give you realtime (accurate) data?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 AMG C63S Edition 1
Sorry to hijack this a bit, but do the MY2015 C63s not have this display?
Old 11-14-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Why not?? What is it reading the info off of, so that it doesn't actually give you realtime (accurate) data?
There is nothing on the car that measures HP/TQ or anything like that. All that display does is take basic engine parameters (RPM, throttle position, etc) and then runs that through a pre-programmed algorithm. The algorithm then outputs a pseudo-accurate HP/TQ reading based on the stock setup. It's a simple gimmick and nothing more.

Originally Posted by AMGSuperSaloon
Sorry to hijack this a bit, but do the MY2015 C63s not have this display?
Only 2016 and newer cars have these displays. No 2015's have it, and it's my understanding it can't be added either.
The following users liked this post:
AMGSuperSaloon (11-14-2017)
Old 11-14-2017, 12:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2016 C63S AMG
Here is a video I found that was similar using a cla45 https://youtu.be/m5j1XAY5KC8

TLDR- Nothing has changed post tune and the display shows the same hp numbers.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:03 AM

Man that sucks. I was hoping this was somehow reading realtime data from the ECU and giving you actual figures...