Sponsored by:

Transmission initial slipping into drive when very cold

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 12:05 AM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
How can Mercedes not warranty a wet clutch on an AUTOMATIC? That's really disappointing to hear.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by KJ
How can Mercedes not warranty a wet clutch on an AUTOMATIC? That's really disappointing to hear.
I installed a Mid City Engineering eco-off module on the CAN BUS.
The module essentially sends a single CAN BUS command to either simulate a toggle up on the drive mode select (to move to Individual mode) or simulates a press of the auto start/stop button on the car (users choice of the two modes).
Mid City proved tot them the module ONLY sent the same command I could send by manually performing either function myself using a PICO logging tool (per dealer request).

Dealer and Mercedes both claim that the module ruined the wet clutch which now needs to be replaced at my expense.
Dealer will not provide a written estimate (per the law), will not guarantee it will resolve the problem even though multiple people have complained of this problem who do not have the module installed, and have essentially voided the entire drivetrain warranty as a result of a $150 module that does nothing.

The module has since been removed.
I have multiple videos of the problem, and have proof that the module was installed AFTER I had initially complained of the problem.
They still refuse to cover this under warranty.
Mid City Engineering has offered help, but won't act until the dealer or Mercedes officially blames them for the problem - which they refuse to do in writing.
So I'm stuck.

100's of other people have been complaining of transmission problems on this platform and yet the dealers claim I'm the only one.

I was 100% an MBW fan - we've even bought 3 cars from them in the last 4 years.
I'm now tempted to dump the 2 we still have and go to the media.
By not putting anything in writing, they have a get out of "jail" free card wherein when it doesn't solve the problem, which it won't, because there's nothing wrong with the wet clutch, they won't have to refund any money I paid to PROVE them wrong.

Another member here and/or on Private Lounge indicated he had the EXACT same problem and it was resolved with a replacement of the transmission valve body and new fluid.
I believe it was the new fluid that is the REAL issue.
I do not drive the car every day and have noticed the problem is dramatically worse the longer the car has sat unused meaning the fluid is more viscous.
Ambient temperature isn't the key, it's the transmission temp <101d that makes the clutch slow to engage.
Once it's past that temp, it immediately starts responding correctly.
I also have surging on downshifts 4-3, 3-2, etc., regardless of temperature.
This car drives EXACTLY the way the old Audi R8's drove before they went to the DSG...
It was an AWFUL feeling.

Any help, videos, VIN numbers, etc., would be appreciated because I'm now stuck with a $100K brick.
My driveway has a VERY large lip, and because of the unpredictability of the transmission, it's becoming increasingly harder and unsafe to pull out of my driveway without damage to the vehicle or someone possibly walking beyond us because they car lurches when the clutch finally engages....

L

Last edited by auditoamg; 05-03-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
S sedan with about 700 miles in South Florida. Start in morning and idle drops to near 600 rpm when D in engaged. First pull off and maybe one or two hundred extra rpm.. maybe 1400-1500 rpm for first C start off. 100-1200 when next engagement a couple hundred feet later.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by auditoamg

100's of other people have been complaining of transmission problems on this platform and yet the dealers claim I'm the only one.
Sucks about your situation, but “100’s” is a bit of an exaggeration. Unfortunately, it sounds like this module (as cheap as it may be) interferes with the CAN-BUS which means it interferes with the ECU. Whether or not the module had any affect on the transmission is not relevant, it’s the fact that this, like a piggyback tune, is tampering with the ECU which will void your warranty. Same reason I stayed away from the CETE exhaust valve controller that’s wired and controlled through the CAN-BUS.

At this point, you have two options - eat the cost of a new transmission (or valve body), or fight MBUSA in court. I can guarantee a lightly used trans will cost less than your time in court, and I hate to say it but it sounds like MBUSA has a valid reason for denying you service. ****ty situation all around.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by AlexZTuned

Sucks about your situation, but “100’s” is a bit of an exaggeration. Unfortunately, it sounds like this module (as cheap as it may be) interferes with the CAN-BUS which means it interferes with the ECU. Whether or not the module had any affect on the transmission is not relevant, it’s the fact that this, like a piggyback tune, is tampering with the ECU which will void your warranty. Same reason I stayed away from the CETE exhaust valve controller that’s wired and controlled through the CAN-BUS.

At this point, you have two options - eat the cost of a new transmission (or valve body), or fight MBUSA in court. I can guarantee a lightly used trans will cost less than your time in court, and I hate to say it but it sounds like MBUSA has a valid reason for denying you service. ****ty situation all around.
Normally, I would agree with you.
But the module has been installed and removed by the dealer multiple times, from 700+ miles on the car without any change in behavior.
If I was the only one with this issue, and had the module - I would go away.
But I'm not..... (100's or 10's - the AMG private lounge shows several, as well as several threads here on MBWorld).

The dealer wants to replace the wet clutch but won't guarantee that it will resolve the issue.
Even Mid City Engineering says it's BS that it had anything to do with any physical failure.
A piggy back is changing values to trick the car into higher boost levels by intercepting sensor readings...
This module sends a 0XC8 hex code on the can bus which represents a toggle up on the drive mode select switch and then does nothing else.
Even removed, at 700 miles, the problem still existed.

I pulled aside the two techs who worked on the vehicle and they both said there is NO WAY this module did anything, but their hands are tied.
Both of these techs said, with the repair history on the car, there is NO WAY the clutch could have been damaged by ANYTHING at 700 miles on the car, unless there was something else going on IN the transmission (not from switching modes).

One thing I didn't mention is that the transmission threw codes throughout this entire process regarding "manual mode adaptation failure".
None of the codes ever caused a CEL until the last dealer visit - I never saw it nor was provided any proof.
The car has had so many problems since day 1, including the COMAND settings loss issue, etc.

After speaking with other techs who work on Mercedes, there's nothing THIS particular module could have done to the transmission that a person couldn't otherwise do by selecting the same things on the console (Eco Off or I mode).

IMHO Mercedes is trying to invalidate the 7 year/100K warranty I received on the car...

Again, if I was the only one with this issue AND/OR Mercedes would guarantee in writing this will resolve the issue, I'd happily work with Mid City to pay the $8K.
Mid City is standing behind the module but also says until Mercedes puts, in writing, that this was the cause of the failure and the repair will fix it, there's nothing they can do.

So I'm stuck without any guarantee from anyone and a dealer that cannot and will not confirm the resolution.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 368 Likes on 262 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Normally, I would agree with you.
But the module has been installed and removed by the dealer multiple times, from 700+ miles on the car without any change in behavior.
If I was the only one with this issue, and had the module - I would go away.
But I'm not..... (100's or 10's - the AMG private lounge shows several, as well as several threads here on MBWorld).

The dealer wants to replace the wet clutch but won't guarantee that it will resolve the issue.
Even Mid City Engineering says it's BS that it had anything to do with any physical failure.
A piggy back is changing values to trick the car into higher boost levels by intercepting sensor readings...
This module sends a 0XC8 hex code on the can bus which represents a toggle up on the drive mode select switch and then does nothing else.
Even removed, at 700 miles, the problem still existed.

I pulled aside the two techs who worked on the vehicle and they both said there is NO WAY this module did anything, but their hands are tied.
Both of these techs said, with the repair history on the car, there is NO WAY the clutch could have been damaged by ANYTHING at 700 miles on the car, unless there was something else going on IN the transmission (not from switching modes).

One thing I didn't mention is that the transmission threw codes throughout this entire process regarding "manual mode adaptation failure".
None of the codes ever caused a CEL until the last dealer visit - I never saw it nor was provided any proof.
The car has had so many problems since day 1, including the COMAND settings loss issue, etc.

After speaking with other techs who work on Mercedes, there's nothing THIS particular module could have done to the transmission that a person couldn't otherwise do by selecting the same things on the console (Eco Off or I mode).

IMHO Mercedes is trying to invalidate the 7 year/100K warranty I received on the car...

Again, if I was the only one with this issue AND/OR Mercedes would guarantee in writing this will resolve the issue, I'd happily work with Mid City to pay the $8K.
Mid City is standing behind the module but also says until Mercedes puts, in writing, that this was the cause of the failure and the repair will fix it, there's nothing they can do.

So I'm stuck without any guarantee from anyone and a dealer that cannot and will not confirm the resolution.
I don't disagree. In fact, I'd be surprised if the module actually did any actual damage itself. But the fact that the module interacted with the CAN-BUS/ECU to control an engine function (dynamic select) they can rightfully say the ECU was "tampered/modified" and void the warranty. I think your dealership might be full of tight asses, or they scanned your car and the module reported something back to their diagnostics.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 mercedes c400
Can you send me a video of yours doing it and maybe your VIN after you report it? Mercedes just voided my warranty and refused buy back.
Ill try to get a video up of it doing it this weekend.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts
19 E63s
lawyer up. Are you in US/ Magnussem Moss Act? They have to prove the modification caused the problem, as I understand it, and not just say it could have.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
I guess the first few times it happened I was a bit surprised and concerned but soon realised with this sort of transmission which is great for every day driving vs a DCT that when cold it will take a while to engage. having factored that in , absolutely 100 percent used to it and it only happens when it's really cold and there is an inadequate warm up. no issue whatsoever for me as it is totally 100 percent temperature related
Old 05-04-2018, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by White C400
Ill try to get a video up of it doing it this weekend.
Thank you!

In a fantastic turn of luck, after writing an email to the USA Mercedes president, my car is going to be fixed.... 😄😄😄
The following users liked this post:
KJ (05-04-2018)
Old 05-04-2018, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s coupe
It’s good to see they step up to the plate and take responsibility

Thank you!

In a fantastic turn of luck, after writing an email to the USA Mercedes president, my car is going to be fixed.... 😄😄😄
It’s good to see Mercedes step up to the plate and take responsibility. We buy there cars and hand over our HARD earned money in good faith. I am still waiting on a fix for this issue after 3 attempts by the dealership to fix the problem still no progress. I love the car but hate this stupid issues.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by td328
It’s good to see Mercedes step up to the plate and take responsibility. We buy there cars and hand over our HARD earned money in good faith. I am still waiting on a fix for this issue after 3 attempts by the dealership to fix the problem still no progress. I love the car but hate this stupid issues.
You have the same problem and have brought it to the dealer?
Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s coupe
You have the same problem and have brought it to the dealer?
i am up to my 4th attempt of fixing this problem as it can be a safety issue when you try to merge with traffic. I was almost cleaned up by a bus trying to leave a car park because the car wouldn’t go.