Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pilot A/S 3+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2017 | 07:40 PM

C63S AMG
Pilot A/S 3+

Well, experiment complete and not with the results I wanted.

I have always driven sports cars, mostly Porsche 911s, and made it through the winters with dedicated snow tires. After buying the 2018 C63S Coupe, I was going to get snow tires but was somewhat talked into getting the Pilot A/S 3+ all-season tires, which are very highly rated. I went that direction because in NJ we really only get sporadic snow (maybe 2-3 big storms) per winter and the weather fluctuates between freezing and 50 degrees on a weekly basis. Dedicated snows, so I thought, would be overkill on this car as long as there is only light snow because the all-season tires will handle the temp fluctuations better and allow more fun.

Well, yesterday, I got caught out in the snowstorm that hit NJ and the east coast and the car did not handle the snow at all.

The Pilot A/S 3+ struggled for grip in slush, snow, and ice. While the main roads were clear and fine, the secondary roads gave the car fits, especially hills. After sliding while turning and braking, I had no confidence at all.

So, now I will either order dedicated snows or I will just hope I'm in the X5 next time it starts snowing.

the arguments of all-season tires vs winter tires has been settled for me.
Old 12-11-2017 | 01:43 AM
KJ

2020 GLE 53 AMG
I never knew there was ever an argument like this to begin with.

RWD car with 500+ HP in the snow = Snow Tires are a MUST

I would laugh at the suggestion to even try All-Season tires.
Old 12-11-2017 | 09:54 PM

2015 C63 AMG S Edition 1, 2021 GLS63, 2020 McLaren 600LT Spider
At least nothing bad came from that and you made it home safe and sound. Go with the sottozeros and you will be fine.

Kurt
Old 12-14-2017 | 03:32 PM

2018 Audi S6
There're like 2 dozen tire categories for a reason. A/S3+ tires are WAY better than summer tires, and the perfect choice for a car like the C63 IMO. They're only a couple of notches below summer tires, so still extremely capable, and still rated at the same Y speed and AA A traction/temperature ratings, while lasting much longer, being a lot quieter, etc. It's a tire that can handle the eventual light now, but it's not a winter tire by any means. If OP has an X5, then the A/S3+ is the perfect tire for that car. Just don't take it out when it snows like that. He he. Otherwise, you'd need 2 sets of tires where you live; one cannot do it all. The A/S3+ would be the perfect tire for me here in the south, however.
Old 12-24-2017 | 11:51 PM

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
Justbditched my Duncrap MAXX tires. They are horrible except in hot summer and even then hate they ride like flinstones. I went with Pilot A/S 3+ and Wow what a difference! Feels almost as sporty but with a more compliant ride and very good traction. I don't know about snow performance but in the wet and freezing cold they are really good. Am in the DC metro, not famous for snow here and if it snows hard I'll just hop into the rover. Ambcompletely satisfied. I didn't want to go to the Sotto Zero and loose all summer capability. Snow is maybe a month or two total, so I prefer these. No regrets ditching the Dunlops aka Duncraps.
Old 12-25-2017 | 10:12 AM

2012 C63 P31 sedan
I've had all seasons for a while now and agree with the above. They last a lot longer for no noticeable difference on the street despite what the internet experts claim about "no season" tires. The big thing with them is that they work if you can see some blacktop, but if we are talking actual snow covered roads like an inch or more yeah you're gonna have a bad time with 500 hp RWD car. At least you can get home though...I wouldn't drive at all on summers in those conditions. For people that don't have a place to store extra wheels they are not a bad compromise.
Old 12-26-2017 | 01:55 AM

2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
I have the Pilot A/S 3+ and I'd say they are just ok . I'm actually not super happy with them but they are better then the Conti DWS06 which as too soft in the sidewall but are a better looking tire . The tire that is better is the BF Goodrich Comp TA G Force A/S . Those tires are amazing and handle almost the same as summers ..hard to tell the difference really . They handled snow with ease unlike these Pilots and the BF Goodrich are slightly wider due to their design .My only complain was I couldn't get them to balance 100 % when new and I had them road forced 4 times but still had a slight shake but as the mileage got to around 3000 miles the seemed to get better .I think the problem was the compound changed with the temperature .Amazing tire and great looking ...the AS3+ is on the ugly side and is overrated Imo ...the BF Goodrich will out handle the As 3+ no problem and it's better in the snow and awesome in the dry ....I regret getting the AS3+ and will switch back to the G-Force Comp T/A once I wear these out which won't be too long as life expectancy on our cars isn't high

Last edited by C3504matic; 12-26-2017 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2017 | 10:45 AM

2015 Range Rover Sport Autobiography; 2019 AMG E63S; 2021 Range Rover HSE Westminister
BF Goodrich Comp TA G Force A/S are not listed as an option. The only matching tire I found for stock was Soto Zero and these AS 3+. But anything better than the awful Dunlop MAXX. Anyway C63S is rather harsh ride and will be going a different route in couple years. I prefer AWD now so GLC63S is an option I will check out when its available. How is thew ride with the BF Goodrich Comp TA G Force A/S though? better in Comfort mode than the A/S 3+ or similar?
Old 12-26-2017 | 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by VaserC63S
BF Goodrich Comp TA G Force A/S are not listed as an option. The only matching tire I found for stock was Soto Zero and these AS 3+. But anything better than the awful Dunlop MAXX. Anyway C63S is rather harsh ride and will be going a different route in couple years. I prefer AWD now so GLC63S is an option I will check out when its available. How is thew ride with the BF Goodrich Comp TA G Force A/S though? better in Comfort mode than the A/S 3+ or similar?
I think that if you live in an area with some snow and cold and do not want to go the snow tire route and have 2 sets of tires or continually change them that the AS 3+ is about as good a solution as any.
The Mich pilot SS or 4S aren't recommended it temps below 40 deg.
Old 12-26-2017 | 06:00 PM

2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
The BF Goodrich rides hard buts its more performance oriented .The Michelin is softer and doesn't have the same instant response as the BFG
Old 12-28-2017 | 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by C3504matic
The BF Goodrich rides hard buts its more performance oriented .The Michelin is softer and doesn't have the same instant response as the BFG
I’ll take softer over hard anyway. Our roads are full of potholes and the contant banging cracking and rattling ruins the ride. I hated the Dunlops not only due to being so poor with grip any time temperatures drop but they were as hard as rocks. If you have very smooth roads then fine, the harder tire not such a big deal. But even then when you drive spirited on a highway you give up precious little with these A/S 3+. I find I can in fact carry more speed into a corner than with the Dunlop’s. In hot summer they are stickier but not that much more than the Michelin. For me this was the best compromise as I have no desire to swap tires like I used to do. It’s just such an inconvenience.