C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catless Downpipes VS Catted Downpipes????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C63s Sedan
Catless Downpipes VS Catted Downpipes????

hey guys so after running the AWE track edition exhaust on my stock c63s im craving something louder lol. I don't plan on investing in a new aftermarket exhaust BUT i do however want to get dps. I know for catless dps ill for sure have to get a tune but what about for catted? if i can avoid the tune it would be ideal since i dont usually drive the car fast ( even though i know i should haha) but yea please if you guys could help me out with some knowledge about this topic.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S205 C63S
Speak to RDO247. he has AWE track exhaust and downpipes with Vibrant GESI cats in them. He has a tune though.

I'm also wanting to know about the tune side of it as that's what I want to do. Catted downpipes with no tune.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:57 AM

Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Rezaul_C63S
hey guys so after running the AWE track edition exhaust on my stock c63s im craving something louder lol. I don't plan on investing in a new aftermarket exhaust BUT i do however want to get dps. I know for catless dps ill for sure have to get a tune but what about for catted? if i can avoid the tune it would be ideal since i dont usually drive the car fast ( even though i know i should haha) but yea please if you guys could help me out with some knowledge about this topic.
Search RDO247 on You Tube, I have plenty of videos of my car drive through different conditions.

I have AWE Track Edition Exhaust, Mikes Custom pipes with Vibrant GESI 7830 UHF 300 CELL Cats with a tune.

Check them hem out and let me know what you think.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 C63, 2011 E92 M3, 2017 C63S
1000 shipped obo
Old 10-06-2018, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by PAKDADDY
1000 shipped obo
What are you selling?
Old 10-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
Originally Posted by Rezaul_C63S
The aftermarket catted DPs are going to have a different cat material (almost always iron, chromium and aluminum) and a higher flow (if they are made correctly) than the stock. Even though they are catted, you will still get a check engine light. I have never seen, on any make, an aftermarket catted downpipe, that legitimately flowed more, and didn't produce a CEL eventually. If you are going to do an aftermarket DP, you will need a tune or some other workaround (like and in-line resistor on the secondary O2 sensor) to not have a CEL.

Because you will usually need a tune to make the most of the higher flow and block the CEL, and catless DPs usually make more power, most people just go with a catless DP. Plus, the catless will be cheaper. Personally, I've always gone with catted, because I do have some concern for the environment, and where I live we have annual vehicle inspections, and having no cat means I wouldn't pass inspection. I also found that most cars without a cat tend to have an exhaust that is a little raspy and slightly higher-pitched....at least in my opinion.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by GuardianVA
The aftermarket catted DPs are going to have a different cat material (almost always iron, chromium and aluminum) and a higher flow (if they are made correctly) than the stock. Even though they are catted, you will still get a check engine light. I have never seen, on any make, an aftermarket catted downpipe, that legitimately flowed more, and didn't produce a CEL eventually. If you are going to do an aftermarket DP, you will need a tune or some other workaround (like and in-line resistor on the secondary O2 sensor) to not have a CEL.

Because you will usually need a tune to make the most of the higher flow and block the CEL, and catless DPs usually make more power, most people just go with a catless DP. Plus, the catless will be cheaper. Personally, I've always gone with catted, because I do have some concern for the environment, and where I live we have annual vehicle inspections, and having no cat means I wouldn't pass inspection. I also found that most cars without a cat tend to have an exhaust that is a little raspy and slightly higher-pitched....at least in my opinion.
What he said! Thank you so much for that helpful information Like you mentioned, if the "high flow" cats are actually flowing at a higher rate than stock cats then it should trigger a CEL. So long story short, if you want a set of downpipes that will add a significant sound improvement and / or significant power gain (which are the only two reasons why anyone ever buys downpipes anyways) then you will have to either tune your car or deal with the CEL. Car should run perfectly fine with the downpipes even without the tune, just not to its absolute max potential power wise.

We just released our catless version of the downpipes at the best price offered for any USA made 3" and lifetime warranty downpipe for the w205 C63. Its available now for only $1100 and ready to ship (click here to check them out). If you take your DME out and ship it over we can also have it tuned for you and sent back. It's the best bang for the buck when it comes to sound and power. Check out this sound clip.

Shah @ SSR Performance
The following users liked this post:
saadbennis (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 04:58 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Downpipes installation

Originally Posted by SSR Performance
What he said! Thank you so much for that helpful information Like you mentioned, if the "high flow" cats are actually flowing at a higher rate than stock cats then it should trigger a CEL. So long story short, if you want a set of downpipes that will add a significant sound improvement and / or significant power gain (which are the only two reasons why anyone ever buys downpipes anyways) then you will have to either tune your car or deal with the CEL. Car should run perfectly fine with the downpipes even without the tune, just not to its absolute max potential power wise.

We just released our catless version of the downpipes at the best price offered for any USA made 3" and lifetime warranty downpipe for the w205 C63. Its available now for only $1100 and ready to ship (click here to check them out). If you take your DME out and ship it over we can also have it tuned for you and sent back. It's the best bang for the buck when it comes to sound and power. Check out this sound clip.

https://youtu.be/WZtckq_X5VY

Shah @ SSR Performance
Shah , how can i install downpipes without lowering the engine or removing the transmission ?
Old 06-19-2019, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by saadbennis
Shah , how can i install downpipes without lowuering the engine or removing the transmission ?
Cut them out
The following users liked this post:
saadbennis (06-19-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 PM

W205 C63 AMG
Downpipes installation

Originally Posted by SSR Performance

https://youtu.be/WZtckq_X5VY

Shah @ SSR Performance
Shah , how can i install downpipes without lowering the engine or removing the transmission ?