C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63 or C43. Saloon or Coupe for daily driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E63
C63 or C43. Saloon or Coupe for daily driving?

Hey everybody, I'm from UK and fairly new to the forum so just wanted some advice.

I wrote another post on this forum deciding on whether I should get a C63, C63s or an M4. I will be buying the car used but decided I am leaning more towards the C63. I will choose the normal or the 's' depending on what is best value for money. However, I think I am going with the regular C63 and I don't like the recaro type seats. I need something a bit comfortable.

Now, I currently drive a '15 BMW 3 series saloon (F3) 335d. I absolutely love this car but want to upgrade it to something a bit more meaty. The 335d is my current daily driver which I take everywhere (work, social events, grocery shopping etc) and so the C63 will also be my daily driver. I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone on the forum. Note, I plan to part exchange the 335d and buy used.

I have a few concerns straight off the bat:

What is economy like on these cars. I understand that this is not a car to drive with worries of fuel consumption but equally I don't want to be filling it up every other day either. My commute to work is roughly 15 miles one way, so 30 miles total per day. In the morning I'm hit with loads of traffic and the commute takes over 1 hour. On the way home, traffic is clearer and I can do the journey in about 45 minutes.

My next dilemma is coupe or saloon. So I love the look of the coupe, it looks like a sexy beast. The saloon is okay, but looks a bit plain. My 335d is a 4-door and I have become quite used to it. I don't carry passengers too often, but when I do it's easy as pie. Also, when I transfer documents, stock and boxes to and from work, the 4 door is just ideal. I have also heard that the coupe is more comfortable to drive than the saloon. Is that true?

Comfort is something that's important to me. Am I being silly thinking of a C63? I want something that I can drive daily but also have fun with on weekends. I do not plan to take the car to a track. but would love to go on some country roads and have fun. That being said, being in a car for over 2 hours per day, I would like something comfortable. I work in London, so road surfaces aren't great, with potholes and rough tarmac everywhere.

Now finally I ask: C43 or C63. Being a C63 forum, I think I already know what the majority vote will be but please hear me out. My 335d is an Xdrive. I have blasted this car through rain (light and heavy) and it has gripped the road like glue. It was a bit shaky in snowy areas but that's to be expected (especially from my 20inch alloys with tyres that, and I quote, resemble "elastic bands" - the guy who serviced my 335d told me that when I changed the tyres). I have heard rumours that the C63 is a bit iffy with wet conditions, whereas the C43 is okay due to it's all wheel drive. Being from UK, rain is like an old friend over here. This will be my first 'performance' car I'll be stepping into. The 335d is one of the fastest cars I own and I am taking a step up jumping into a C63. My question is, are there any safety concerns with the C63 as a daily driver assuming I drive sensibly (in wet and adverse conditions). Is the C43 a better place as a daily commuter car.

I have probably given you guys/girls information overload here, so for that I apologise. But any input at all would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-31-2018, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
I'd rather have an Audi S4 over a C43. But if you can handle RWD power and drive like a sane person with proper tires in the wet the C63 is perfectly capable of being a daily driver.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by Mdotlife
What is economy like on these cars. I understand that this is not a car to drive with worries of fuel consumption but equally I don't want to be filling it up every other day either. My commute to work is roughly 15 miles one way, so 30 miles total per day. In the morning I'm hit with loads of traffic and the commute takes over 1 hour. On the way home, traffic is clearer and I can do the journey in about 45 minutes.

My next dilemma is coupe or saloon. So I love the look of the coupe, it looks like a sexy beast. The saloon is okay, but looks a bit plain. My 335d is a 4-door and I have become quite used to it. I don't carry passengers too often, but when I do it's easy as pie. Also, when I transfer documents, stock and boxes to and from work, the 4 door is just ideal. I have also heard that the coupe is more comfortable to drive than the saloon. Is that true?

Comfort is something that's important to me. Am I being silly thinking of a C63? I want something that I can drive daily but also have fun with on weekends. I do not plan to take the car to a track. but would love to go on some country roads and have fun. That being said, being in a car for over 2 hours per day, I would like something comfortable. I work in London, so road surfaces aren't great, with potholes and rough tarmac everywhere.

Now finally I ask: C43 or C63. Being a C63 forum, I think I already know what the majority vote will be but please hear me out. My 335d is an Xdrive. I have blasted this car through rain (light and heavy) and it has gripped the road like glue. It was a bit shaky in snowy areas but that's to be expected (especially from my 20inch alloys with tyres that, and I quote, resemble "elastic bands" - the guy who serviced my 335d told me that when I changed the tyres). I have heard rumours that the C63 is a bit iffy with wet conditions, whereas the C43 is okay due to it's all wheel drive. Being from UK, rain is like an old friend over here. This will be my first 'performance' car I'll be stepping into. The 335d is one of the fastest cars I own and I am taking a step up jumping into a C63. My question is, are there any safety concerns with the C63 as a daily driver assuming I drive sensibly (in wet and adverse conditions). Is the C43 a better place as a daily commuter car.

I have probably given you guys/girls information overload here, so for that I apologise. But any input at all would be greatly appreciated
Economy: Not going to be great, but really not terrible. I daily drive my C63 (non-S) 60 MILES daily. I purposefully did NOT get the performance seats because of this reason and the standard seats are plenty comfortable, in my opinion. I do have to fill my gas tank every 5-6 days or so.

Coupe vs Saloon: I've only driven the Coupe during the AMG Performance Driving Academy... It's definitely more cramped than the saloon and really impossible to fit in it with a helmet (I only mention that because it means there is less head-room... and I'm only 5'8"). I agree the saloon is more plain-looking, especially the rear... I've had to add carbon pieces to make it stand out from the C300 and C43 =( That said, I have a family and need space for passengers to fit comfortably and conveniently.

C43 vs C63: Only time I would say C43 is if you live in weather where there is snow for a significant portion of the year. I would DREAD driving my C63 in the snow. C63 is perfectly fine in the rain, it's a non-issue.
The following users liked this post:
Mdotlife (05-31-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG
uhh..C63. -_-
Old 05-31-2018, 05:23 PM

E63
Originally Posted by skim7x
Economy: Not going to be great, but really not terrible. I daily drive my C63 (non-S) 60 MILES daily. I purposefully did NOT get the performance seats because of this reason and the standard seats are plenty comfortable, in my opinion. I do have to fill my gas tank every 5-6 days or so.

Coupe vs Saloon: I've only driven the Coupe during the AMG Performance Driving Academy... It's definitely more cramped than the saloon and really impossible to fit in it with a helmet (I only mention that because it means there is less head-room... and I'm only 5'8"). I agree the saloon is more plain-looking, especially the rear... I've had to add carbon pieces to make it stand out from the C300 and C43 =( That said, I have a family and need space for passengers to fit comfortably and conveniently.

C43 vs C63: Only time I would say C43 is if you live in weather where there is snow for a significant portion of the year. I would DREAD driving my C63 in the snow. C63 is perfectly fine in the rain, it's a non-issue.
Thanks for the reply. In terms of ride quality and cabin noise, which is better in your opinion? I know you only drove the coupe during the driving academy but was there a noticeable difference in ride quality/noise between that and the saloon? Like I've said, I have heard the saloon is "stiffer" than the coupe which seems odd as usually it's the other way around. I plan to test drive both anyway.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:25 PM

E63
Originally Posted by SGTzAMG
uhh..C63. -_-
Why the face ?
Old 06-01-2018, 03:08 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Writing as a C43 owner in Bromley here goes. I rarely drive Monday to Thursday but do drive a lot Friday and Saturday, be prepared to fill your tank every 10 days. Even though the saloon looks 'bland' from the rear, you're not going be seeing it mostly from that. You're going to be in it. The coupe would suit your transportation needs for work, the back would be a tight squeeze for passengers. In my saloon, I have to move the seat to a fairly uncomfortable position if someone 5' 8" or more sits behind me. Re rwd vs awd, I only had one incident during the last snow we had with awd. I don't know how rwd would do, with the right tyres it should work. Rain isn't a problem if you drive sensibly. The choice is yours really.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
If you can handle financial differences between the two, get the 63. V8 noises in traffic jams will sooth you.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:16 PM

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Hey everybody, I'm from UK and fairly new to the forum so just wanted some advice.

I wrote another post on this forum deciding on whether I should get a C63, C63s or an M4. I will be buying the car used but decided I am leaning more towards the C63. I will choose the normal or the 's' depending on what is best value for money. However, I think I am going with the regular C63 and I don't like the recaro type seats. I need something a bit comfortable.

Now, I currently drive a '15 BMW 3 series saloon (F3) 335d. I absolutely love this car but want to upgrade it to something a bit more meaty. The 335d is my current daily driver which I take everywhere (work, social events, grocery shopping etc) and so the C63 will also be my daily driver. I just wanted to get some opinions from everyone on the forum. Note, I plan to part exchange the 335d and buy used.

I have a few concerns straight off the bat,.....
I had my concerns too when shopping around for my next car. I'm big on comfort and daily driving. The thing you have to remember is dealers over inflate the tires on their cars, so do a check on the tire pressure when test driving. It makes a difference in the ride and comfort.

I went from a '17 C43 sedan to an '18 C63S coupe and couldn't be happier! I really liked the C43 and it just wasn't a beast like the C63. I loved the features and comfort of the C43 and thought, well if I get that same or similar comfort with the C63 then I'll upgrade. When I test drove the C63, I thought it was close enough to the C43 in comfort that I went ahead and purchased.

When I picked up the C63, the tire pressure was @ 60 PSI and I thought to myself, wow this can't be right, this car can't be THAT rough a ride. After I let some air out of the tires - the comfort, softness and smoothness improved. It is so close to the C43, I personally couldn't tell the difference. I daily drive the C63. It's great for road trips too. The options that help make the car do well for me as far as comfort is the non performance ventilated seats, 360 camera (park assist) and the distronic.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts
02 C32 AMG, 05 SL55 AMG, 09 SL63 AMG, 14 E350, '18 G550, 92 300ZX & 15' GL63 AMG

Why the face ?
Just me personally, i dislike the "nomenclature" marketing tactic Mercedes-AMG's has done with their "43 AMG" line up. All im going to say is, if an individuals wants to drive an AMG; get an AMG,

Its a night and day difference!

Go for the C63, you wont regret it..
and people dont really buy these cars for MPG purpose lol, there are other cars made for that specific purpose.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s coupe
Suggestion: You are going to be in what you buy for a while, or take a financial hit. Rent a C43 for a day or two. You can then do the same with a C63/C63s or maybe make up your mind with just a dealer / used car lot test drive.

Having just driven my new C63s in Europe, I will be the first to admit that it would be a pain in daily traffic in Berlin, Hamburg, or pretty much anywhere there short of an autobahn. The U.S. is different. I live 50 miles East of L.A. and even commute time traffic around here can average 75-85 Mph.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:29 PM

W213 E63
Definitely 63 if you can afford it. No regrets here