C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over 1 Year with the Edition 1 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C63s, 2018 S63, 2018 G63, 2019 G63 Edition One Ordered, 2021 AMG GT BS Deposit Placed
Over 1 Year with the Edition 1 Cabriolet

The car that started it all for me within the AMG brand.

Prior to purchasing the car back in March of 2017, the closest I had been to AMG was an E43. At the time, that was the craziest car I had driven. It was fast, comfortable, and just looked good in my opinion. When we began to look at the C63s (we wanted a full on rear wheel drive powerful car), the Edition 1 of the cabriolet was immediately noticeable. It was like love at first site so we decided to purchase it as soon as possible. We tracked down that specific car and as soon as I started using it, I began to feel fear. Of all things! I couldn't comprehend how a car could be so fun, so good looking, and so darn fast at the same time. It took some getting use to, but over the course of the summer, it became the norm. From that point forward, every car that we purchased from Mercedes had to be an AMG.

Now, on to the review. I had to get that introduction out of the way. The car now has over 10k miles on it, and I always love that car every time I take it out. I've done about everything you could think of. I've done burnouts, launches, doughnuts, driven top down highway, driven top up in the highway, changed one set of tires (Michelin super sports), I have abused and abused the car! It's just so fun to use during warm weather. Even when it got colder, I would still use it because nothing can top the feel of a rear wheel drive car. It has been bulletproof in terms of reliability, and is just a looker. We have a 2018 S63 and I promise this car gets more attention. I love how loud it is, and how easy it is to use as a daily driver. It corners so well too, and the power delivery doesn't seem bad for a convertible with over 500hp.

The suspension is killer. I test drove at one point a 911 GT3 and I swear even that car was softer then this. To be fair, body roll around corners feels minimal, but it doesn't fell like the car has a comfort mode. All the modes are just too stiff. Personally I don't mind it, but my father is old and has back problems, so he prefers to rather not drive it, so mainly I use it. I mainly stick to Sport+ mode on the car, and many times I shift myself. I 80% of the time have the car in manual mode, and the shifts are decently fast. The 7-Speed MCT was a good transmission at the end of it's life, however, having experienced other DCT's and the new 9-Speed in the E63s and S63, it just pales in comparison. However, it's not that bad, and good enough for what it's used for.

My conclusion is that this car is far from a sports car. Not only is it a convertible (which means it has added weight), but I don't believe this or the coupe could be considered sports cars. They are very sporty, and can do everything so well, but at the limits it just doesn't feel like a sports car. I prefer to look at them as Grand Touring cars that are amazing at highway driving. I'm not denying that the cars may be able to pull off amazing lap times, but after my experiences with the car and other cars in the last year, this is the conclusion I came up with. Personally, I think it's worth every penny and everyone should give the car a try. It's just a fun car to use all the time, and this is coming from someone who gets snow a few times a year (I don't use it during terrible weather as I have something else that fits the job, but it's to show my point that it's a great car to buy even if you live in an area with lots of snow).

Last edited by Walter Chavez; 07-03-2018 at 06:13 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Walter Chavez:
Jeff Whitten (07-04-2018), right_mr (07-04-2018), velosdesignwerks (07-05-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 08:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Roadster. 2013 SL65 2018 GLC63
Great write up and review but this car is absolutely a sports car. AMG has just managed to include a massive amount of luxury and civility into the car. i also have a C63S cab. i love it and intend on buying an S63 next!
Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
2018 750i Msport, 2018 Range Rover Autobiography, 2019 C63, 2017 F Type R
I could not agree more i had a 205 sedan for the last year and a half and put over 30k miles on it in that time frame. I just picked up the exact car you have with about 10k miles on it and immediately roadtriped it from AZ to my house in socal and this car is phenomenal in every way.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (07-04-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 Chevrolet SS
Originally Posted by Walter Chavez
The car that started it all for me within the AMG brand.

Prior to purchasing the car back in March of 2017, the closest I had been to AMG was an E43. At the time, that was the craziest car I had driven. It was fast, comfortable, and just looked good in my opinion. When we began to look at the C63s (we wanted a full on rear wheel drive powerful car), the Edition 1 of the cabriolet was immediately noticeable. It was like love at first site so we decided to purchase it as soon as possible. We tracked down that specific car and as soon as I started using it, I began to feel fear. Of all things! I couldn't comprehend how a car could be so fun, so good looking, and so darn fast at the same time. It took some getting use to, but over the course of the summer, it became the norm. From that point forward, every car that we purchased from Mercedes had to be an AMG.

Now, on to the review. I had to get that introduction out of the way. The car now has over 10k miles on it, and I always love that car every time I take it out. I've done about everything you could think of. I've done burnouts, launches, doughnuts, driven top down highway, driven top up in the highway, changed one set of tires (Michelin super sports), I have abused and abused the car! It's just so fun to use during warm weather. Even when it got colder, I would still use it because nothing can top the feel of a rear wheel drive car. It has been bulletproof in terms of reliability, and is just a looker. We have a 2018 S63 and I promise this car gets more attention. I love how loud it is, and how easy it is to use as a daily driver. It corners so well too, and the power delivery doesn't seem bad for a convertible with over 500hp.

The suspension is killer. I test drove at one point a 911 GT3 and I swear even that car was softer then this. To be fair, body roll around corners feels minimal, but it doesn't fell like the car has a comfort mode. All the modes are just too stiff. Personally I don't mind it, but my father is old and has back problems, so he prefers to rather not drive it, so mainly I use it. I mainly stick to Sport+ mode on the car, and many times I shift myself. I 80% of the time have the car in manual mode, and the shifts are decently fast. The 7-Speed MCT was a good transmission at the end of it's life, however, having experienced other DCT's and the new 9-Speed in the E63s and S63, it just pales in comparison. However, it's not that bad, and good enough for what it's used for.

My conclusion is that this car is far from a sports car. Not only is it a convertible (which means it has added weight), but I don't believe this or the coupe could be considered sports cars. They are very sporty, and can do everything so well, but at the limits it just doesn't feel like a sports car. I prefer to look at them as Grand Touring cars that are amazing at highway driving. I'm not denying that the cars may be able to pull off amazing lap times, but after my experiences with the car and other cars in the last year, this is the conclusion I came up with. Personally, I think it's worth every penny and everyone should give the car a try. It's just a fun car to use all the time, and this is coming from someone who gets snow a few times a year (I don't use it during terrible weather as I have something else that fits the job, but it's to show my point that it's a great car to buy even if you live in an area with lots of snow).

Thank you for the review. Very much appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
Walter Chavez (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 AM

2017 C63s, 2018 S63, 2018 G63, 2019 G63 Edition One Ordered, 2021 AMG GT BS Deposit Placed
Originally Posted by C63SVERT
Great write up and review but this car is absolutely a sports car. AMG has just managed to include a massive amount of luxury and civility into the car. i also have a C63S cab. i love it and intend on buying an S63 next!
Maybe so! I see it as a touring car due to the convertible portion of it. But I do agree with what you're saying. The S63, especially the 18's are just monsters. We recently purchased the sedan and it's just perfect. It has a soft ride quality, and it's fast when you want it to be!
Old 07-04-2018, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by black63s
I could not agree more i had a 205 sedan for the last year and a half and put over 30k miles on it in that time frame. I just picked up the exact car you have with about 10k miles on it and immediately roadtriped it from AZ to my house in socal and this car is phenomenal in every way.
Wow! :O Those certainly are a lot of miles, but it shows how much you love the car! The C63s Cabriolet Edition 1 is in my opinion one of the best looking cars. I don't know why in my eyes it was more appealing then the C63s coupe Edition 1. But good buy!
Old 07-04-2018, 10:07 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
love the color combo and interior on that cabriolet!
Old 07-05-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Roadster. 2013 SL65 2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Walter Chavez
Maybe so! I see it as a touring car due to the convertible portion of it. But I do agree with what you're saying. The S63, especially the 18's are just monsters. We recently purchased the sedan and it's just perfect. It has a soft ride quality, and it's fast when you want it to be!
I cant wait to get mine! i drove one for about 5 minutes before i decided to buy one. phenomenal car!
Old 07-05-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 GLE 53 Iridium Silver
I have a 2018 Iridium Silver version of the same car. Absolutely love it! I have the sports seats with red on black inserts. Stunning looking car!

Old 07-16-2018, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 640i Gran Coupe
Agree the “comfort mode” is a bit misleading, there’s no comfort to be had from this suspension set up. But the journos have their 15 minutes of fun and don’t bother on commenting on everyday liveability. This really is a sportscar and people need to be aware of that before they put down their money. Especially if you have back pain then a C63 is not an option
Old 10-13-2020, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 S AMG Cab
Hi Jeff

Nice looking convertible you have there :-)

Can I ask you, did they unmount anything on the car, to get the cabriolet window moldings around a-pillar, top cap, and moldings around the top wrapped gloss black, or did they do it, while it was on the car? Getting it done myself soon.

Thanks!

Kind regards
Michael
Old 10-13-2020, 01:44 PM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
2007 E350
Originally Posted by C63SVERT
I cant wait to get mine! i drove one for about 5 minutes before i decided to buy one. phenomenal car!
lol I didn’t even test drive one. Turn one on and I was sold
Old 10-13-2020, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 303 Posts
AMG C63s
You guys might not get any responses - last post was 2 years ago .
Old 10-14-2020, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 398 Likes on 306 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by tobeit
Old 10-14-2020, 02:08 PM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by tobeit
Originally Posted by FLC63s
LMAO