C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHEEL AND TIRE WARRANTY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
WHEEL AND TIRE WARRANTY

It was an expensive buy but I’m really happy I purchased it when I bought the car. Wasn’t planning on it but when I saw how fragil those 20” split spoke wheels looked I decided it might be a good idea. Boy was I right. Replaced two tires and a rear wheel in the first six months. Retail on a new rear wheel from MB is $2700 EACH. Cost of the warranty was also $2700 and it’s more than paid for itself already. On another note, I will never run ultra low profile tires again and wish I had gone with the 18” wheel package instead for a better ride and less fragil wheels.
The following users liked this post:
munis (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Good decision. It is 100 percent worth it if you don't have German made roads. It pays itself off in no time. I did not buy one with mine and regret it everyday. Bent the rim thrice already. And fixing a bent one is never the same as a new one.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Worth it for the peace of mind, alone. I haven't had to use mine yet, but when I was living up the New Jersey, oh sweet Jesus... I had tirerack's tire warranty as well and was getting new Michelin PSS's every. single. year, seriously.
munis (07-13-2018)
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 640i Gran Coupe
It’s not just the low profile tyres that make the C63 susceptible, it’s also the firm suspension. Sports cars these days are way firmer than they have ever been, so this sort of warranty cover is a must. Wonder how long it will be offered for before either they stop offering it or manufacturers are forced to go higher profile tyres and/or softer suspension
Old 07-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Agreed. On our GLE63S, we've been through like 6 tires, 1 bent rim, and lots of curb rash lol. Total out of pocket thus far has been inconsequential. Curb rash is free, tires are $50 IIRC, and ditto on rims.

On my C63S Edition 1, it's worth its weight in gold. I've unfortunately curbed the wheels 2-3 times, and that's a 1-2 day project cuz they gotta mix the paint to get it right to refinish the yellow paint on the wheel edge. All included in the coverage. It's also why I paid a stupid amount of money to retrofit the OEM 360 camera (not available on the prespeced Edition 1's) so I can see the wheel vs curb when parking (I try and park as close to the curb as possible to avoid door dings on the opposite side). Been successful thus far...
Old 07-22-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Audi R8, Alfa Romeo Quad, 991tt,cls550, 997tt, 85 Carrera
Make sure you read the warranty yourself to see what exactly is covered and not just believe the finance guy that is pushing it on you. I had a bent rim on a new Porsche and they refused to cover it since the warranty stated that the tire had to lose air for it to be covered. Never mind that the rim may be cracked and when you lose air you might end up in a ditch. Bought a number of cars from that dealership but this experience just ended our relationship.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by @jm_case
Man if you USE the program, they are invaluable. They pay for themselves so quickly, and the peace of mind you get is really what makes it all worth it.

W&T plans are my biggest seller for Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

If anyone is interested in adding Wheel & Tire coverage policies to their vehicle, I offer full comprehensive wheel & tire programs (that also include features like windshield repair, paintless dent repair, key replacement, roadside assistance, etc) at just above dealer cost. If you're interested in adding a policy like this to your vehicle, I'd be happy to provide a quote and give detailed information. Reach me via PM here to inquire!
It's my understanding that this can only be purchased at the time of the vehicle purchase/lease (new or used). But not after the fact. Yes, you can get it from a different dealer, but still has to be at the time of sale/lease.

Originally Posted by 2020
Make sure you read the warranty yourself to see what exactly is covered and not just believe the finance guy that is pushing it on you. I had a bent rim on a new Porsche and they refused to cover it since the warranty stated that the tire had to lose air for it to be covered. Never mind that the rim may be cracked and when you lose air you might end up in a ditch. Bought a number of cars from that dealership but this experience just ended our relationship.
That's unfortunate. I think your advisor's/mechanic's discretion (based on your relationship) makes a HUGE difference in those situations. Most of the time, I've found that they're motivated to get your repair covered, cuz it's easy $$ for them.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:13 PM

That's not necessarily correct, and will have some grey area depending on which dealer you ask. Some dealers do not fuss with the extra work after the original sale of the vehicle, and some only offer MB-specific W&T plans, which I've found to be lapsing in coverage a lot of times. I am authorized to contract any W&T policy at any time, regardless of original purchase date. The only difference is in taxes and fees.
Very interesting. Mercedes only? Or pretty much any vehicle w/ OEM wheels/tires?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C450, 2019 E63S
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Agreed. On our GLE63S, we've been through like 6 tires, 1 bent rim, and lots of curb rash lol. Total out of pocket thus far has been inconsequential. Curb rash is free, tires are $50 IIRC, and ditto on rims.

On my C63S Edition 1, it's worth its weight in gold. I've unfortunately curbed the wheels 2-3 times, and that's a 1-2 day project cuz they gotta mix the paint to get it right to refinish the yellow paint on the wheel edge. All included in the coverage. It's also why I paid a stupid amount of money to retrofit the OEM 360 camera (not available on the prespeced Edition 1's) so I can see the wheel vs curb when parking (I try and park as close to the curb as possible to avoid door dings on the opposite side). Been successful thus far...
What is the provider for your warranty? I'm assuming it is a third party through MB. I have Wheel & Tire warranty through my dealer when I got the car, and the third party is "EZ Care."
Unfortunately, they only cover blown out tires, tires that leak air, and damaged rims that cause air to leak. They DO NOT cover any kind of cosmetic scratches on the rims that are not functionally problematic, nor do they cover bent rims that don't leak (terrible, given that those usually are a problem waiting to happen). I've replaced over 5 tires, and maybe 1-2 rims so it has been good. But I do have some rim scratches that I wish were covered... My out of pocket is ZERO for all of the above though. They pay in full.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 696 Likes on 530 Posts
R Nine T
Well this isn’t a gym membership. You can have all the coverage and if there is no damage to a wheel/tire than how is it key to use?
Old 07-23-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63s
I cancelled after I read the entire contract...There is a clause on the second page that states "matte painted or special coated wheels are not covered under this policy". I have the matte black AMG rims on my vehicle as I am sure that most of you have as well:-(
Old 07-23-2018, 10:22 PM

2016 C450, 2019 E63S
Originally Posted by rbritt4685
I cancelled after I read the entire contract...There is a clause on the second page that states "matte painted or special coated wheels are not covered under this policy". I have the matte black AMG rims on my vehicle as I am sure that most of you have as well:-(
I've built my 2019 with Matte Black rims. Warranty might still be useful for the tires, though - I'm in NYC so potholes are a big problem. I'll probably have to change my tires quite a bit unfortunately so that the Wheel and Tire Warranty will probably still be worth it. Wonder how much the rims will cost me....

EDIT - I just read my current contract with Easy Care (Wheel & Tire warranty) and I don't see that it says that matte rims are not covered. Maybe we have different companies?

Last edited by NYC365; 07-23-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2014 E63, Cobra replica, 68 Camaro, 66 Chevy II SS, Z4 BMW, Honda Element, Birel 125cc Shifter Kart.
mine were the 20” black split spokes and they’re covered. Thankfully.
Old 07-26-2018, 12:39 PM

C63s
The wheels that I have are the black cross-spoke...What dealer sold you the policy and who is the administrator ? The administrator the handles the Mercedes-Benz First Class wheel and tire program at my dealer is SafeGuard Products in Atlanta,GA. In the contract on the second page under limits of coverage in paragraph F It states "Matte wheels and or painted/powder coated wheels are not covered under this policy". So I called just to make sure and they confirmed this over the phone. My policy was $2950.00 so I immediately cancelled it and requested a refund.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLS-550, 2005 SL 65 AMG
I have to say, when I bought my 2005 SL65 a few months ago, within weeks I had a cracked rim (I suspect it was there when I bought it). I did pay for the wheel insurance, and it's more than paid for itself already. Short of having to wait for the wheel to be shipped from Germany, it was a painless process. My best investment so far on that car.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:22 AM

C63s
Please email me the details: rbritt4685@aol.com.....What happens when you change the original tire size ? are they still covered?
Old 07-29-2018, 03:17 AM

The wheels that I have are the black cross-spoke...What dealer sold you the policy and who is the administrator ? The administrator the handles the Mercedes-Benz First Class wheel and tire program at my dealer is SafeGuard Products in Atlanta,GA. In the contract on the second page under limits of coverage in paragraph F It states "Matte wheels and or painted/powder coated wheels are not covered under this policy". So I called just to make sure and they confirmed this over the phone. My policy was $2950.00 so I immediately cancelled it and requested a refund.
While that's smart on your part to read the fine print, I can assure you that hasn't been an issue with me. The GLE63S has factory AMG matte wheels, and my C63S Edition One has factory matte wheels with yellow paint on the edge. And I'm in FL as well, so I use the same SafeGuard coverage you had: https://www2.mbfs.com/mbfsr/en/faqs/...AndTirePlus.do. No problems.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:30 PM

Honda
I would not be paying for a plan that had exclusions like that...useless and too expensive. Good idea on getting that refunded.

If you're curious, the wheel & tire coverage plans I offer have no exclusions like that and cover any OEM or OEM-acceptable replacements. I've sold a few of them to the members here on MBWorld, and of course I offer them at dealer cost to the members here. They are valid nationwide (and Canada) at any ASC certified shop and every authorized Mercedes-Benz Dealer. The majority of these plans can be had for less than or right at $1000 for 5 years of coverage.
I highly recommend you contact @jm_case if you are in the market for a good tire and wheel warranty at a fair price. He is very knowledgeable and he makes the process quick and painless for his customers.
@jm_case (07-30-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:02 PM

Does anyone have the contact info for jm_case (who's posts used to be in this thread)? Looks like he might have been removed from the forum due to not being a paid vendor?

TIA!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:36 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
C63 AMG S Coupe (Sept. 2017)
I will offer this as another data point - Recently I ran over one of those 1/2 metal plates in a construction zone on a bridge in my town. I hit it at about 25 mph and there was no time to react. Anyhow, the car had a slight vibration in the steering wheel at 55 mph.

I took the car to dealer where I purchased the car and the tire and wheel warranty package. They confirmed the wheel was bent and the insurance policy would not cover the wheel ‘since the wheel was not cracked or losing air’. The wheel was balanced out mostly and on my way I went.

Life lesson - save your money and replace the wheel/wheels when and if damaged. Right now I’m 2k in on a policy that at first blush appears to be nearly worthless.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 666 Likes on 524 Posts
c
Originally Posted by BrownDog09
I will offer this as another data point - Recently I ran over one of those 1/2 metal plates in a construction zone on a bridge in my town. I hit it at about 25 mph and there was no time to react. Anyhow, the car had a slight vibration in the steering wheel at 55 mph.

I took the car to dealer where I purchased the car and the tire and wheel warranty package. They confirmed the wheel was bent and the insurance policy would not cover the wheel ‘since the wheel was not cracked or losing air’. The wheel was balanced out mostly and on my way I went.

Life lesson - save your money and replace the wheel/wheels when and if damaged. Right now I’m 2k in on a policy that at first blush appears to be nearly worthless.
I'd be submitting this into MB of America. Or asking for a refund on the policy. Bogus IMO. They can still heat and bend the wheel back, just weighting it out is absolute trash service.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Southern_Benz
Hi, I contacted him via email at jmcasey427@gmail.com

He also said he would be back on the forums shortly!

Thanks!
​​​​​​

I sure it doesn't happen to me, but to be fair, that IS their major stipulation. And, on the upside, fixing a bent wheel usually only costs about $150 or so. It's not super expensive. So I'd just get that done outta pocket, and call it a day. And if it gets damaged again and cracks, they'll pay $2K for the wheel replacement

Just my $0.02...
Old 08-06-2018, 02:43 PM

2016 C450, 2019 E63S

So the rim is bent a good amount and the tire still isn't losing air so it doesn't "qualify" yet.... hmmm... I bet that driving on it for a while isn't the only way to get it to qualify. ;-)
Old 08-06-2018, 05:11 PM
KJ

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts
2020 GLE 53 AMG
Maybe the roads in Toronto are a lot better, but I've yet to bend a wheel in over 20-years of driving performance cars with low profile tires.

At most, I've hit a pothole which caused a tire to blister on the sidewall, the cost to fix that was a new tire for a few hundred dollars. This was on my wife's CLA which had run-flat tires. If they were regular tires, they probably would have come out with no damage.

Sure, one wheel is a couple grand RETAIL from the dealer, but they can be found used for much cheaper used on the forums or Craigslist etc. The probability of damaging a wheel so badly that you'd need a replacement wheel instead of a repair is also very slim. As other users have noted, they bent rims that weren't covered under warranty, so they had to pay out of pocket to fix anyway.

For the price these guys are charging, I think you'd be better off "taking your chances" unless the roads in your city are particularly bad or if you're just the type to damage wheels on a regular basis.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:51 PM

I think it's a function of what you drive (how heavy, how large the wheels are, the load they're under etc), how you drive, and how much you drive.

I have nearly 50K miles on a 2016 GLE 63 S, that's driven like I stole it. I've gone through 6 tires and 2 wheels. And each tire is around $450 per. And each wheel is still expensive, even if used is available. Total out of pocket expense: $100. So the coverage as been well worth it for me, IMO. I'd never go without it.

Now if I could only find a windshield replacement (not repair) plan...lol