What tune do I have?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 coupe
What tune do I have?

Greetings!

Just picked up my new to me 2017 c63 coupe with only 6k miles and I am having a blast with it. However, when I picked it up from VA they told me it would not pass VA emissions inspection as it was tuned. I am in NC and emissions are not required for the next 2 years. However, I am getting annoyed by it breaking lose in sport mode on the stock tires, apparently a common problem. Can anyone tell me how to determine what tune I have and the easiest/cheapest way to revert to stock if I choose to do so?

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2018, 08:14 AM

C63 coupe
Anyone have pictures of their piggyback tune installed? I had one installed on my 435 in the past and it was sort of hidden in the engine bay. I don't see anything like that in my bay but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2018, 10:13 AM

Received 133 Likes on 112 Posts
2018 C43 AMG Brilliant Blue Metallic
do you have stock downpipes?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:22 AM

C63 coupe
As far as I know. The Jeep Dealer I bought it from told me it was stock other than the tune. They had brought it to the Mercedes Dealer.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
W205 c63s AMG
Pretty sure the dealer can flash it to stock if it does have an ECU tune on it
Old 10-02-2018, 02:28 PM

C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
I was hoping they could flash it but I am worried they will put it in the record and void my warranty.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 144 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
You should have been told that you would not have a warranty on your engine / drivetrain before you purchased the vehicle. If you were not told that, I would seek to return the vehicle, as that should have been disclosed... Otherwise you took on all the burden.

Also, more parts of your story don't make sense. If they already took it to Mercedes, then Mercedes already knows you have the tune.

And lastly, you would pass emissions if it were just a tune. You'd have to have cattless downpipes to fail an emissions test.

Last edited by skim7x; 10-02-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:55 PM

C63 coupe
They brought it to a Mercedes dealer in VA, but did not want to pay the $1300 for Mercedes to flash back to stock. I am hoping since nothing was done with the car, there is nothing in the dealer records about the tune. In VA the emissions test is done by logging into the OBD2 port I believe, and something about the tune made them unable to read it properly. The dealer has a 15 day return policy, so I guess if I cannot get this sorted I can always return it to them.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
Actually I tried this, this does not work. If the ECU is updated, it only targets a specific table, a lot of the parameters are unchanged. You can use licensed xentry system (like they have in the dealerships) to code only a virgin ECU. Virgin meaning a blank/ brand new ECU.

So if you want to take the car back to stock without knowing which tuner tuned your car and sending it back to them, is by buying a brand new ECU, then have the dealership code it to your car.

So that 1300 dollars is not for just the coding session. It probably includes the cost of a brand new ECU.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:11 PM

C63 coupe
Originally Posted by munis
Actually I tried this, this does not work. If the ECU is updated, it only targets a specific table, a lot of the parameters are unchanged. You can use licensed xentry system (like they have in the dealerships) to code only a virgin ECU. Virgin meaning a blank/ brand new ECU.

So if you want to take the car back to stock without knowing which tuner tuned your car and sending it back to them, is by buying a brand new ECU, then have the dealership code it to your car.

So that 1300 dollars is not for just the coding session. It probably includes the cost of a brand new ECU.
Do you have experience with this? Wondering if it will affect the warranty if I go this route.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:02 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
W205 c63s AMG
Originally Posted by IdTamer
Do you have experience with this? Wondering if it will affect the warranty if I go this route.
I doubt it. They have to be able to prove the failure was due to the tune, and if there's no tune on the car when and if something were to happen, I don't see them saying your warranty is void. Anyways I bring my car to the dealer to have things done under warranty and they know my car has downpipes and tune. As long as I'm not in there trying to warranty my turbos, engine failure (highly unlikely) or my trans slipping or something (unlikely at this power level) than they will for sure cover it. If my multimedia screen stops working, its completely unrelated to my downpipes and tune, so of course they still cover.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They sent me a letter stating that my powertrain warranty was voided. Not because of me getting the new ECU. But because they found out I tuned the ECU. Funny how easily they found it though. Lesson learned haha.

What happened was the tuner at the time bricked my ECU. So only option was to get a new one. Updating it did not fix it.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:46 AM

C63 coupe
Originally Posted by munis
They sent me a letter stating that my powertrain warranty was voided. Not because of me getting the new ECU. But because they found out I tuned the ECU. Funny how easily they found it though. Lesson learned haha.

What happened was the tuner at the time bricked my ECU. So only option was to get a new one. Updating it did not fix it.
This is what I was worried about. What tune was it?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not at liberty to discuss it in the forum anymore, haha. If I want to stay here atleast. And its irrelevant now. Car is faster than ever using my 500 dollar piggyback, couldn't be more happier with it.
The following users liked this post:
Dieseldan9 (10-03-2018)
Old 10-03-2018, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

By the way, there is a way to get around all this. Depending on your location, try searching for a 3rd party SCN coder. There are usually plenty around. Once you find one, go to an Indy shop and ask them to order an ECU for you without mentioning your VIN number. ECU is classified as a TRP (theft related part) by the parts department, so they are not going to sell it to a random person, only registered shops can get their hands on it. Then take the ECU to the SCN coder and he will marry it to your car.

You can keep the other one for some fun experiments for later down the line if you ever decide to!
Old 10-03-2018, 11:34 AM

C63 coupe
Lol, I figured. Thanks for the info!

I have been calling different tuners, and so far only Renntech tracks by VIN. They told me that they were mailed the ECU in May 2018, but could not get into it and so sent it back to the customer. The customer had told them that another shop had also not been able to get into the ECU. All the other tuners go by name only, not VIN, so I cannot find out if they ever bench flashed it.

The plot thickens....

Last edited by IdTamer; 10-03-2018 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
GLC63S, A35 AMG
Return the car. Not your problem. If you want to keep it, minimally, get the $1,300 refunded off the price you paid.
Old 10-04-2018, 01:15 PM

C63 coupe
I did have them reduce the price significantly before I bought it. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to get to the bottom of this.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
a UFO
You could just try finding out who really owned this car on here (judging by the mods, its an enthusiast and most likely visits this forum), or by searching the past threads and look at who posted (detective work?). It isn't THAT many to go through. Its a coupe and you also know the year, plus the CF mod, etc... Unless the owner is actively trying to cover his tracks.

What the other guy said is true, something is wrong with this picture. Tune wouldn't make it fail emission, something else is fouled up. I would suggest take it to get some sort emission test done or better yet have a certified mb tech inspect the car and find what is wrong with it. Dealer may be lying (hard to believe?) or saying that because they don't know any better. Or as a way to tell you not to come back if the drivetrain fails after x days.

Many members on here run tune just fine, myself included.

The tune is over $1500 at a minimum, since if this is a real ecu tune, they have to do a lot of labor to get to the ecu, i paid a lot more than $1500 for sure. You might as well consider it a perk and keep it if you can figure out what's really wrong with it (smog or not)

welcome to the w205 c63 club btw, hope you stay
Old 10-04-2018, 07:55 PM

C63 coupe
Hahaha thanks for all the advice! I will definitely be staying, this car is a blast. I don't want to reverse the tune, it just makes me nervous that I can't pass emissions due to an issue with the obd port. I will try to get it fixed without messing with the tune if possible

I did not see any posts related to this car on the forum, and as the previous owner traded in the car for a hellcat I am assuming they no longer frequent the boards.