Sponsored by:

Help with Renntech Tune & Downpipes please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
18 Benz C63
Help with Renntech Tune & Downpipes please

So I purchased a car and had a Renntech tune to it. Now, I want to add catless downpipes. I asked Renntech if I got the downpipes installed would they be able or willing to re-program the tune to remove the CEL. The response is below. So what are my choices/options for getting the downpipes? Do I remove their tune to oem and go another brand and re tune with someone who is willing to do this? The problem is then that becomes very costly. Im not sure what the issue with them is when its my car and there are a ton of people doing here. Its Florida so no inspections or any issues with doing it. Its really disappointing. I even looked at their downpipes and they want $4380 for catted pipes which is crazy. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated as I know downpipes add a good amount of power.

Thank you contacting Renntech,
Unfortunately we cannot support your request for removing the cel. It is illegal to remove the catalytic converters or any other emission related devises, or remove, alter the cel function.
Therefore we strongly advise against it.
Besides being illegal it is also not practical at all, the burned fuel has an offensive smell, the exhaust note is typically too loud and has an unpleasant frequence. At the time of resale/return you would have to return to the OE cats again. There is also no performance gain compared to some good sport cats that are designed to pass the emission requirements.

mit freundlichen Gruessen / with kind regards

Hartmut Feyhl
President
7825 SW Ellipse Way

Stuart, FL 34997
Direct: 772-266-9025
Phone: 561-845-7888 Ext 111
Fax: 561-845-6777
hartmutf@renntechmercedes.com
www.renntechmercedes.com
Old 10-04-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
You can get o2 spacers to try and keep the cel from popping up. You can switch tuners now to one that offers a catless tune or you can wait to see if the jb4 BMS is releasing soon will offer a catless tune. I’m doing the latter and will wait for the jb4 to hit the market before making a decision.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
We can get you a set of catless and catted down pipes.

Last edited by shardul; 10-04-2018 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 C63 Cabriolet
I went with Gesi cats catted downpipes from Mikes Customs in Russia, order to delivery was about a month....most of it was shipping time. Renntech will install those per my convo with them. About $2100 shipped. Let me know if you need his contact info.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
I can't remember off the top of my head who it was, but recently there was a tuner that the government went after for coding out the MIL caused by removing your cats. It's no wonder someone the size of Renntech wants nothing to do with doing that.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
18 Benz C63
Also, is the smell really that offensive from not having cats on your down pipes? They said its almost to the point of were you wont want to sit in your car with the windows down cause of the smell. On my prior 991 s I had catless headers and a straight exhaust. I didn't notice any offensive smells. I know two very different cars but still straight exhaust.

Thanks for the replies
Old 10-04-2018, 05:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2018 C63 Cabriolet
There is a smell, I have a vert so I went with catted pipes as I don't want to deal with it while idling in traffic. Another member here switched from catless to catted for the same reason (smell). Of course everyone is different when it comes to what they can tolerate. The difference in power is negligible when running Gesi cats (support up to 800hp per bank) ...but you will pay about 1k more vs catless
The following users liked this post:
1 SIC DR (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Roadster. 2013 SL65 2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by Ryane8182
So I purchased a car and had a Renntech tune to it. Now, I want to add catless downpipes. I asked Renntech if I got the downpipes installed would they be able or willing to re-program the tune to remove the CEL. The response is below. So what are my choices/options for getting the downpipes? Do I remove their tune to oem and go another brand and re tune with someone who is willing to do this? The problem is then that becomes very costly. Im not sure what the issue with them is when its my car and there are a ton of people doing here. Its Florida so no inspections or any issues with doing it. Its really disappointing. I even looked at their downpipes and they want $4380 for catted pipes which is crazy. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated as I know downpipes add a good amount of power.

Thank you contacting Renntech,
Unfortunately we cannot support your request for removing the cel. It is illegal to remove the catalytic converters or any other emission related devises, or remove, alter the cel function.
Therefore we strongly advise against it.
Besides being illegal it is also not practical at all, the burned fuel has an offensive smell, the exhaust note is typically too loud and has an unpleasant frequence. At the time of resale/return you would have to return to the OE cats again. There is also no performance gain compared to some good sport cats that are designed to pass the emission requirements.

mit freundlichen Gruessen / with kind regards

Hartmut Feyhl
President
7825 SW Ellipse Way

Stuart, FL 34997
Direct: 772-266-9025
Phone: 561-845-7888 Ext 111
Fax: 561-845-6777

hartmutf@renntechmercedes.com
www.renntechmercedes.com
The EPA just did a massive crack down on this and fined SCT and Bullydog 300K as well as another 6.5 million for the whole ordeal. they will NEVER tell you in writing that they will. Especially after all this. For what its worth, i have everything from renntech except the turbos and the car sounds absolutely amazing. its expensive stuff, but you don't sacrifice anything over stock for the performance gains. My car is still under warranty and have zero issues at mercedes as soon as they hear renntech. The sound difference from a 200 cell sport cat to a catless volume wise isnt that much, its just a lot less raspy.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
^^^^^Which is a very good thing^^^^^^. Nothing like spoons in a disposer sound.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Originally Posted by C63SVERT
The sound difference from a 200 cell sport cat to a catless volume wise isnt that much, its just a lot less raspy.
Is this true? I want the exhaust a lot louder and was on the fence about buying cattless dp's because of the rasp... Does anybody have a video of 200cell catted dp's vs cattless dp's? Didn't think catted dp's were that much louder than stock...
Old 10-06-2018, 12:14 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 AMG GTC Roadster. 2013 SL65 2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by skim7x
Is this true? I want the exhaust a lot louder and was on the fence about buying cattless dp's because of the rasp... Does anybody have a video of 200cell catted dp's vs cattless dp's? Didn't think catted dp's were that much louder than stock...
theyre NIGHT and day over stock. With the Performance exhaust and the Renntech dp’s it’s insane.

Heres a video they put up and there is another of all the comparisons