Sponsored by:

C63S Overall reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
f250
C63S Overall reliability

So my wife green lighted me to finally buy an AMG, really looking into getting a W205 and I've been doing some digging into reliability and I'm not really finding anything other than the following:
  • Interior rattles upon delivery
  • brakes squeal (ceramic pads squeal when used as a daily driver so that's not really a "problem" persay)
  • a few instances of the rear differential failure (but I can't find any detailed info as to WHAT failed, I know theres a recall for the 15-17 cars having some supporting structure cracking)
I register my vehicles in a non emissions county, we don't have vehicle inspections here in Nevada outside a VIN check so the vehicle I'm sure will get decatted and an ECU flash pretty quickly so I'm looking at something that's about to go out of warranty or already is because it's getting voided regardless haha.

Is there anything else I should really be concerned about? I'm just not finding anything...
Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE63S
I have had mine for about 14 months and 8,000 miles.

No issues, so far...
The following users liked this post:
jj18 (06-22-2019)
Old 12-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 93 Likes on 68 Posts
2024 X5 M60i, 2018 C63S Coupe (sold)
A few us (myself included) have had some rattling/clunking from the rear due to loose sway bars.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
It's tough to beat MB as far as their dealer network and support. I've had many MB's and really have not experienced any major problems or concerns. Unlike the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, which by most accounts is an awesome car. However, it's plagued with problems and a very small dealer network. I will say as a rule. I don't own an MB that doesn't have a factory or extended warranty on it. Things break no matter who the manufacturer is. MB service/parts/repairs cost more. When you go into those nice big pretty MB dealerships. With high end coffee machines/snacks and upscale everything. It has to be paid for by something.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:39 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
W205 c63s AMG
43k miles here

Only thing I've had an issue with is steering rack made a clunk noise while turned and going over bumps

Besides that 0 issues
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM

f250
Originally Posted by benzbell
It's tough to beat MB as far as their dealer network and support. I've had many MB's and really have not experienced any major problems or concerns. Unlike the Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio, which by most accounts is an awesome car. However, it's plagued with problems and a very small dealer network. I will say as a rule. I don't own an MB that doesn't have a factory or extended warranty on it. Things break no matter who the manufacturer is. MB service/parts/repairs cost more. When you go into those nice big pretty MB dealerships. With high end coffee machines/snacks and upscale everything. It has to be paid for by something.
I don't take any vehicle out of warranty to the dealership. That's just me, and I have a pretty professional relationship with one of the dealership owners here in Las Vegas and I still wouldn't take an out of warranty, modified vehicle to him. Parts, that's about it. Same token, I am a mechanic by trade (still turn a wrench every day just not on cars)... Most MX I do myself unless theres a time constraint or it's something that's not exactly "easy" to do by myself in my garage or driveway

And again, voiding that warranty... lol. So none of that really matters to me. I jumped through all the hoops to have a drivers license in middle of nowhere nevada for a reason

Last edited by Brettboat; 12-07-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-07-2018, 03:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
I haven't stacked as much miles but over 1 year/8000 miles I haven't had a major issue.

-I did a rear diff at 1800 miles
-Low coolant warning at 5500 miles (just dropped by the dealer to top it off)
-Very seldom but I couldn't hear audio from the MB sound system despite the volume and it being on (researched this and seem like it's not an isolated issue with this model). When i park and restart the car it goes back to normal
-Wiper Chatter (common)

Build quality feels solid with not much rattles at all. I had the coupe and FWIW, it was built in Germany. Followed proper break-in procedure for the first 1000 miles.

Very happy with the car otherwise. My conti's were already shot at 8000 miles so switching to michelins.
jj18 (06-22-2019)
Old 12-09-2018, 02:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C63 S EDITION 1/ 2015 BMW X5M
-Front struts replaced under the warranty
-entire steering colums replaced under the warranty
-rear wheel barings replaced under the warranty.
I currently got 32K miles on it
Old 12-09-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
2007 E350
mine is 1 year old 16k miles
0 problems with the engine, trans....
The only problem I have is rattles, fixed 95% percent of it myself
Face lift c63s is your best bet if you don't want any problems like rattles. Pre face lift will always have a lot of bugs
Old 12-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts
'15 C63S
3.5 years and 43K miles here.

Only repairs so far are replacement of the battery and replacement of the capacitor that powers the Auto Start/Stop feature (which I never use anyway).

Other than that, the car has been flawless.

Also, the differential issues you referred to has been addressed with a recall that updated the traction control's software. When people were driving hard on slippery roads (especially with launch control), the traction control would cut in abruptly and the shock/force caused by the abruptness could cause structural damage to the rear diff. Problem was solved by software that isn't as abrupt with applying traction control.

Last edited by msd3075; 12-09-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:25 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by koifysh
Face lift c63s is your best bet if you don't want any problems like rattles. Pre face lift will always have a lot of bugs
This ^^^^ applies to all makes and models.

With MB's there may still be probs, however most common ones have been addressed.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink
43k miles here

Only thing I've had an issue with is steering rack made a clunk noise while turned and going over bumps

Besides that 0 issues
How did you deduce it was coming from the steering rack?
Old 12-10-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 C63S Sedan
I can vouch for the first two on your list, although the "rattle" happens only with sharp jolts. The brakes do squeal on a lite touch and quiet down after a little more pressure. I just have the regular brakes.. The brake noise goes away after I power wash the wheels with a pressure washer so I'm thinking it's dust related.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:15 AM

W205 c63s AMG
Originally Posted by munis
How did you deduce it was coming from the steering rack?
Noise could be replicated with a big *** prybar to the knuckle where yoke from steering wheel and steering rack connected
munis (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 02:22 AM

f250
Originally Posted by koifysh
mine is 1 year old 16k miles
0 problems with the engine, trans....
The only problem I have is rattles, fixed 95% percent of it myself
Eh....... Really want an out of warranty car to modify. Otherwise it's throwing money away
Old 12-11-2018, 07:02 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
c63S
My 2018 c63s has 3K miles. Below are the issues I've encountered so far (which were resolved by dealer under warranty):

1. A small line (2 inches) of clear coat on the quarter panel (gas tank side) was bubbling. It was wet sanded and re-cleared by a bodyshop the dealer work with. This was covered under warranty.
2. Turbo is rusted but dealer says normal due to where I'm from which resulted in humidity during summer months. The car runs fine so I will take their word for it. I did start a thread about this and other members does have this issue too. This is a result of the turbos being cast iron. It is suggested to drive the car hard to burn off the rust.
3. Passenger side window would not go up fully. It would go about 3/4 of the way then it retracts downward. This was fixed by dealer under warranty.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:04 PM

f250
Originally Posted by johnstahhh
My 2018 c63s has 3K miles. Below are the issues I've encountered so far (which were resolved by dealer under warranty):

1. A small line (2 inches) of clear coat on the quarter panel (gas tank side) was bubbling. It was wet sanded and re-cleared by a bodyshop the dealer work with. This was covered under warranty.
2. Turbo is rusted but dealer says normal due to where I'm from which resulted in humidity during summer months. The car runs fine so I will take their word for it. I did start a thread about this and other members does have this issue too. This is a result of the turbos being cast iron. It is suggested to drive the car hard to burn off the rust.
3. Passenger side window would not go up fully. It would go about 3/4 of the way then it retracts downward. This was fixed by dealer under warranty.
Is this a joke? Like you actually went to the dealership for rust on your turbine housing? Have you never owned a turbocharged vehicle before? I just died reading this in my office...

Last edited by Brettboat; 12-11-2018 at 10:07 PM.
speed4tu (01-17-2019)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
c63S
Originally Posted by Brettboat
Is this a joke? Like you actually went to the dealership for rust on your turbine housing? Have you never owned a turbocharged vehicle before? I just died reading this in my office...
Never owned a turbocharge before. It looks odd so my car was getting its 2k service and I asked. Not sure why you are getting so hostile? relax bud.

Last edited by johnstahhh; 12-11-2018 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:12 PM

f250
Originally Posted by johnstahhh
Never owned a turbocharge before. It looks odd so my car was getting its 2k service and I asked. Not sure why you are getting so hostile? relax bud.
Not trying to be hostile, I just thought you were joking. Yes, turbochargers rust. The ONLY thing you can do to prevent this is ceramic coat the turbine housing. The EGTs are too high for any traditional powder coat so they're unfinished... The process isn't cheap, you'll never see a factory vehicle with it. Pretty much promod kinda stuff
Old 12-12-2018, 05:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
C63 amg esate
Not trying to be hostile, I just thought you were joking. Yes, turbochargers rust. The ONLY thing you can do to prevent this is ceramic coat the turbine housing. The EGTs are too high for any traditional powder coat so they're unfinished... The process isn't cheap, you'll never see a factory vehicle with it. Pretty much promod kinda stuff
The turbos on my brand new car were very rusty and they were both replaced under warranty, I’ve had turbo cars before and non have had rusty turbos.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:11 AM

W205 c63s AMG
I don't think any coating will survive the hot side of the turbos getting red hot... It's made out of iron, it goes from molten hot to cold and any humidity will get to it. It's 100% normal
Old 12-14-2018, 12:52 PM

f250
Originally Posted by Mr. Pink

I don't think any coating will survive the hot side of the turbos getting red hot... It's made out of iron, it goes from molten hot to cold and any humidity will get to it. It's 100% normal

No.... You can ceramic coat it... Promod has been doing that for almost 20 years, diesel guys have been it for about the past 10... It's nothing new at all. Guys arn't doing it for the rust part, they're doing it for the heat part. Because heat is energy, less heat loss in the turbine = more energy. Basic physics. There are some other advantages to ceramic coating a turbine housing (like the cosmetics) but the main objective is to lose as little heat as possible.

No one here is into racing I'm assuming?

As for the naysayer above me... I don't believe that for a second... Uncoated turbine housings rust. They have no protection and they get 1300+ degrees F

Last edited by Brettboat; 12-14-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
2018 C63 Coupe
I've had mine for a year and 9,000 miles. No major issues, just a few minor ones:

The sunroof did not sit flush at one corner. Fixed under warranty.
The chrome trim piece on the transmission stalk on the steering column came loose and was buzzing/rattling loudly. Fixed under warranty.
I got a low coolant warning a few months ago. I was worried that I had an intercooler leak, but it just needed a top off.

Current issue: there's a bit of a rattle from inside the driver's door if I go over a bump with the window down. Either something is slightly loose or needs to be adjusted. The dealer will take a look the next time it goes in for service.

That's it. So far it's been very reliable.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Test

Originally Posted by benzbell
What a dick move, this car is awesome
Old 06-20-2019, 10:24 PM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
2007 E350
20k miles & no problems with engine, electronics, trans, diff. Just a few rattles but that went away after I got the mitchellin ps4s. I have a stage 2 tune/dp & getting stage 1 pure 800 turbos soon. Push it hard everytime I drive. These amg are over engineered especially the engine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63S Overall reliability