Sponsored by:

Comparing the C63s to a BMW M4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 03:49 PM

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts
GLE400, 2017 Porsche 911S
Comparing the C63s to a BMW M4

I just stared my interest in the C63s. I want a convertible and my main two interests are the Mercedes and BMW M4. I am leaning towards the 2019 Mercedes but will be test driving both. I understand I am asking this question on a Mercedes AMG forum, but would like some input from members who are familiar with both so when I go for the test drives, I can have some knowledge and be more aware of the characteristics of both cars. I am 61 years old and like to drive semi aggressive but would never track the cars.
I am going to be trading in a 2017 Porsche 911S. I do really like the 911 but I want to get back into a convertible. I put very few miles on per year and would like to save a few hundred dollars a month in payments but still want to drive a quality sports car.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:17 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
C63s ED1 Coupe
A few reasons I went with the AMG:
1) I see at least 1 or 2 M3/M4s during my daily commute. C63s? 2-3 per month.
2) My old 335i with an aftermarket exhaust sounded better than current M3. C63s just sounds so much better than the M.
3) Interior (this can be very subjective though)
Old 12-24-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG C63S
After owning few BMW's myself, I always looked down on MB; specially their design back in 2007-2014 which always felt like oldies car compared to BMW's.
An M4 would be an ideal car to own back in 2014 and call it the day but with MB's new design and details in perfection, that has changed my mind and after driving my brother's 2017 C43 AMG and my friends' AMG GTs, I had to rethink the brand and I'm currently considered a convert and custom ordered my c63s and can't wait to receive it.
In my opinion, BMW's make a very high pitch noise from the exhaust while AMG's performance exhaust is engineered to produce the best sound and put a big smile on your face. Interior, quality and technology loaded into Mercedes makes BMW very shameful at the moment.
Plus, I think this might be the last V8 Mercedes is producing so might as well get the best on the table.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:42 PM

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
2018 C63SA Cabriolet
I wouldn't call the C63S Cabriolet a "sports car". I would call it a muscle car that is sporty & luxurious. I have no experience with BMWs but I have owned and loved driving my Mercedes muscle cars in traffic and around town driving. I'm 72 and drove a 2013 Carrera S and a 2015 C7 Z06 but prefer driving my C63S Cabriolet. It has a better interior than the Porsche & the Corvette, is loads of fun to drive and its exhaust sounds are intoxicating. My previous Mercedes was a CLS63S which was also a luxury muscle car but the C63S Cabriolet is far sportier and more fun to drive.

I never found my 991 Carrera S comfortable but my C63S is very comfortable. Also easier ingress and egress than in a true sports car like a Porsche or Vette.

So, you're on the right track, IMO and just need to drive each car and see which appeals more to you.
Old 12-25-2018, 05:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C63s Cabrio
Hello,

i think you have to drive both cars first. I had 3 years a M4 and I think it is a great car. For me it was the best convertible car you could buy. With some tunes the car is absolutely fast and doesn’t need some fuel. I wondered always how efficient the car is. I drove it 3 years with approx. 600hp and I head never a problem. Now the reason why I change to the c63. THE SOUND OF THE V8. I want a V8 AMG before there aren’t available anymore. The c63 convertible I the smaller car with a textile roof and less space in the back. Only the motor is the reason why I chose this car. I love the sound but it need so much fuel like there is a hole in the tank 😂 but the sound is making this acceptable. But the taste of sound is from
person to person different. I never saw someone who doesn’t love the sound of the c63 but a lot who hate the one of the M4. The c63 isn’t faster than an m4 because it’s much heavier. The optic is also your choice. I like the M4 more but I want this great V8. I drove a few weeks ago a new M4 Competition and this was terrible. I don’t know why but the change the sound more to **** and the car wasn’t fast like my older one. In this case i wouldn’t choose a M4 again.

My opinion:
M4 better car, more space, more efficient, faster especially on the track, hard top roof, more aggressive optic, if you buy a new car the M4 is much cheaper here in Germany! My M4 was full options 105k€ C63 is full 130k€ Facelift. In the M4 its a must have to buy the better interior if not it’s a shame inside

C63 better Sound, better gearbox, in the facelift better or more modern interior, big V8 oh yeah, you don’t need a exhaust for a lot money the original is perfect

Sorry for my English but I hope you understand what I mean 😉

Last edited by achi 3.0; 12-25-2018 at 05:21 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by achi 3.0:
843_C43AMG (12-25-2018), wings02 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 06:50 AM

English is perfect! Thank you taking the time to give your input. It was very insightful!
Old 12-25-2018, 09:11 PM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
One more thing: The V8 that Achi 3.0 loves (as do I) is the same unit that the Aston Martin DB11 uses in a car that sells for 2.5 times (or more) than the C63S Cabriolet. Nuff said.
The following users liked this post:
wings02 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 09:12 PM

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
The M4 is probably 2x better than the AMG on the track. The AMG is probably 4x better than the M4 on the street. Where do you drive more? This is not to mention that the AMG interior is that much better and the exhaust is intoxicating.
wings02 (12-25-2018)
Old 12-25-2018, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
I test drove 2019 M4 and wasn't that impressed. The car was definitely fast, but the interior seemed lacking, and I don't know how to describe it but the throttle felt loose.

I've owned a naturally aspirated C63, and the C63s Biturbo. The latter was faster but I think I enjoyed the first one more. The 6.2L just sounded insane. The C63s was good, but my main complaint was the turbo lag. Once you get the engine up to power it sounds monstrous. Especially if you have the "s" package with the extra exhaust... OMG downshifting and hearing that thing POP and ROAR... there's nothing like an AMG sound.

Personally I don't like the way the Cabriolet looks, so I think I'm going back to an older natrually aspirated SLK55. I'm not very happy with the AMG biturbo engines...
Old 12-26-2018, 12:26 AM

I had a 2006 SLK55. Nice car but wasn't too exciting to drive. Very small feel. I'm not much of a loud roar exhaust person so the sound was ok for me. If you want more of a roar, I think you will need some aftermarket work to achieve that.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by bmcgahan
I test drove 2019 M4 and wasn't that impressed. The car was definitely fast, but the interior seemed lacking, and I don't know how to describe it but the throttle felt loose.

I've owned a naturally aspirated C63, and the C63s Biturbo. The latter was faster but I think I enjoyed the first one more. The 6.2L just sounded insane. The C63s was good, but my main complaint was the turbo lag. Once you get the engine up to power it sounds monstrous. Especially if you have the "s" package with the extra exhaust... OMG downshifting and hearing that thing POP and ROAR... there's nothing like an AMG sound.

Personally I don't like the way the Cabriolet looks, so I think I'm going back to an older natrually aspirated SLK55. I'm not very happy with the AMG biturbo engines...
Hey, this is a comment I can relate to. I also came off of a naturally-aspirated V8 and miss the immediacy and razor-edge sharpness of the throttle response (Audi RS4). I also had a manual transmission and that might have had something to do with it. With the biturbo I am always sensing the power train spooling up - especially from a stop. But what's a guy to do in a field where many of the other reasonable options are V-sixes. This is why I always have to qualify my response when someone asks me how I like the car. "It's fantastic, but...." On a long trip, however, it is the most comfortable and fun ride I have ever experienced - so there is that. Sad to think that if we want that same immediacy of a naturally-aspirated engine that we will have to opt for Tesla or equivalent.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:42 AM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Originally Posted by DRGG
Hey, this is a comment I can relate to. I also came off of a naturally-aspirated V8 and miss the immediacy and razor-edge sharpness of the throttle response (Audi RS4). I also had a manual transmission and that might have had something to do with it. With the biturbo I am always sensing the power train spooling up - especially from a stop. But what's a guy to do in a field where many of the other reasonable options are V-sixes. This is why I always have to qualify my response when someone asks me how I like the car. "It's fantastic, but...." On a long trip, however, it is the most comfortable and fun ride I have ever experienced - so there is that. Sad to think that if we want that same immediacy of a naturally-aspirated engine that we will have to opt for Tesla or equivalent.
I can relate to that but in a slightly different way: My erstwhile 2013 Porsche Carrera 2S with PDK would hesitate from a standing stop as if it needed time to decide what to do which was as frustrating as turbo lag but was a function of throttle response and PDK geometry, not turbo lag since my Porsche was naturally aspirated. I had the same issue with my 2015 CLS63S: same problem of flooring the peddle but the throttle was like, "Huh?". Drove me bonkers. My C63S doesn't have that hesitation however, so I am very happy with the throttle response of my car for spirited around town driving. I find this car to be very entertaining and have yet to complain about responsiveness.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
our license plates should be 'M4 LOL'
Ph4tLyfe (07-09-2019)
Old 12-26-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Lag? how are you guys driving the car? Just keeping it in D and mashing it? You gotta use the paddles and keep the car in the right gear revving above 2200rpm.. I think max power is 2500-4500 rpm..So you gotta keep it close to that range to have max power... from a stop you have to do the same thing if you want the raw immediate power. You can't just sit at a light with a bi turbo car and expect to get full power in d mashing the peddle while it sits at 1500 rpm.. Also in terms of pedal response the new mct 9 speed transmission is supposed to give much better pedal response especially from a stop over the outgoing one that had a torque converter instead of a wet clutch.
Old 12-26-2018, 04:43 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Another reason the c63s is better... I am at bmw getting my oil topped off and a mechanic told me good thing you didn’t get an m4 because the NTSB has them on hold until BMW fixes the driveshaft as they are defective so they are all being put on hold and cannot be delivered until bmw fixes the problem
Old 12-26-2018, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,434 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by purplewidow
Lag? how are you guys driving the car? Just keeping it in D and mashing it? You gotta use the paddles and keep the car in the right gear revving above 2200rpm.. I think max power is 2500-4500 rpm..So you gotta keep it close to that range to have max power... from a stop you have to do the same thing if you want the raw immediate power. You can't just sit at a light with a bi turbo car and expect to get full power in d mashing the peddle while it sits at 1500 rpm.. Also in terms of pedal response the new mct 9 speed transmission is supposed to give much better pedal response especially from a stop over the outgoing one that had a torque converter instead of a wet clutch.
It doesn't really matter how you drive it. You can't ignore the fact that if you are off throttle and then getting back on it, the turbos first have to spool back up as the exhaust stream builds up. I'm also driving a naturally aspirated V8 currently, a high-revving one at that 8500 rpm redline (Audi RS5). There's no question that the V8TT will not be as responsive. The immediacy of an NA engine is a thing of beauty and I've always hesitated to go turbo, but the AMG engine is about as good as it gets w/o adding an electric super charger to improve the responsiveness.

Also the pre facelift doesn't have a torque converter. It also has a startup clutch, but overall the 9 speed is faster and more responsive and always starts in first gear. The old transmission started in second gear in comfort mode, slipping the clutch like crazy. I found it very odd. The old transmission is what killed the C63 for me before the face lift. The manual mode is terribly laggy and overall I just couldn't stomach it. The M4 and RS5 have much better dual clutch transmissions, but the new 9 speed is close enough, at least based on what I've seen and the comments from reviewers. I've yet to drive it, but things like the laggy manual mode appear to be a thing of the past, and most importantly it still doesn't have a torque converter as many current performance cars are getting something like the ZF8. Both Audi and BMW are abandoning the dual clutch.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-26-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts
2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by wings02
I just stared my interest in the C63s. I want a convertible and my main two interests are the Mercedes and BMW M4. I am leaning towards the 2019 Mercedes but will be test driving both. I understand I am asking this question on a Mercedes AMG forum, but would like some input from members who are familiar with both so when I go for the test drives, I can have some knowledge and be more aware of the characteristics of both cars. I am 61 years old and like to drive semi aggressive but would never track the cars.
I am going to be trading in a 2017 Porsche 911S. I do really like the 911 but I want to get back into a convertible. I put very few miles on per year and would like to save a few hundred dollars a month in payments but still want to drive a quality sports car.
As a current owner of a 2019 AMG C63S coupe, a 2017 SL63, a 2019 SL450, former owner of a few 991 911 models, and a former owner of many BMWs, here’s what I’d say...

It’s kind of a (major) downgrade to go from a 911 to a C-class or a 4-series. I am not sure you’ll be happy.

If I were you, I would seriously consider a pre-owned 911 Carrera Cabriolet for similar money to a C63/S or M4. Even if you choose a used 911 that’s more money- say, around $95k-$100k- you are still ahead of the game because the first bulk of depreciation has already occurred on the 911; and Porsche holds its value way better than Merc or BMW.

Alternatively, may I recommend an SL? Go for a pre-owned 2017 (facelifted) SL450 or SL550. I love the 6-cylinder and actually prefer it to my SL63 monster. The SL is a wonderful vehicle, a flagship type vehicle, and much more of a sports car than the C or the 4-series. It’s 182 inches in length, and it features state of the art technology everywhere.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:02 AM

2018 C63SA Cabriolet
Originally Posted by 348SStb

As a current owner of a 2019 AMG C63S coupe, a 2017 SL63, a 2019 SL450, former owner of a few 991 911 models, and a former owner of many BMWs, here’s what I’d say...

It’s kind of a (major) downgrade to go from a 911 to a C-class or a 4-series. I am not sure you’ll be happy.

I disagree. I owned and drove a Carrera S and wasn't happy with it. Even though normally aspirated, the PDK throttle response from a standing start was annoyingly slow almost like turbo lag. The seats were hard and the glare off the windshield was horrible. And as for value for the dollar, I think the C63S is a much better value. If you were to spec a 911 Cabriolet with all the bells and whistles of a new C63S Cabriolet, you'd spend at least $30K more for the 911. And as for retaining value, I got absolutely murdered when I sold mine after 15 months. Finally, don't forget the OP is 61 years old and maybe a pure sports car isn't as important as comfort and ease of ingress and egress, also harder in a sports car like the 911.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
2007 E350
Imo, I don't feel any throttle lag in mine. I think what some people are feeling is the transmission lag when you floor it in D. Before flooring it make sure the car is in sport+ or race then hold the left paddle, trans should down shift the lowest gear possible. There shouldn't be any lag. It's even more responsive if you get a tune. Back to topic, I think you'll like the c63s cab better than the m4 taking in to consideration that you don't track and want semi aggressive. C63s better interior, sound and comfort for daily driving. Comparing two cars on paper is like comparing two photos in a darkroom. Test driving them both back to back is best
Old 12-27-2018, 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,434 Posts
2019 C63CS

I have to disagree with this, too. There's nothing downgrade about the C63/S vs a 911. Many folks seem to think the 911 is a sports car, which it is actually not. Both the C63/S Coupe and the 911 are GTs, but they strike different balances. There are racing grand tourer versions of the 911 such as the GT3, GT3 RS and GT2 RS (These names come from GT racing), so you can spec these things to a point where they don't really make for a good daily and high speed long distance cruiser, but fundamentally the 911 is still a GT. The C63/S strikes a better balance between a daily, long distance cruiser and sports car. It has more usable rear seats and a more useful trunk for those road trips for example. It compromises the sports car aspects more in favor of practicality and usability compared to a 911. It all comes down to what you gonna use it for, and what kind of balance appeals to you. As far as the M4 is concerned, it is also a better track car than it is a daily. For example for me, the M4 is lacking driving assistance features such as ACC, which are important to me for my long distance road trips to make me less fatigue and risk falling asleep behind the wheel.

Last edited by superswiss; 12-27-2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:15 AM

2017 AMG SL63 _ 19 AMG S65 Cpe _ 23 R8 Spyder Rwd _ 17 911 C2S _ 16 Boxster Spyder _ 01 BMW Z8 etc.
Originally Posted by superswiss

I have to disagree with this, too. There's nothing downgrade about the C63/S vs a 911. Many folks seem to think the 911 is a sports car, which it is actually not. Both the C63/S Coupe and the 911 are GTs, but they strike different balances. There are racing grand tourer versions of the 911 such as the GT3, GT3 RS and GT2 RS (These names come from GT racing), so you can spec these things to a point where they don't really make for a good daily and high speed long distance cruiser, but fundamentally the 911 is still a GT. The C63/S strikes a better balance between a daily, long distance cruiser and sports car. It has more usable rear seats and a more useful trunk for those road trips for example. It compromises the sports car aspects more in favor of practicality and usability compared to a 911. It all comes down to what you gonna use it for, and what kind of balance appeals to you. As far as the M4 is concerned, it is also a better track car than it is a daily. For example for me, the M4 is lacking driving assistance features such as ACC, which are important to me for my long distance road trips to make me less fatigue and risk falling asleep behind the wheel.
Well I have to disagree with this.

The 911 is much more of a sports car than the C63. Yes, 911s have grown in size, but at 178 inches and 3200 pounds, that’s sports car territory, even though it’s a 2+2. The C63S coupe/cabrio is 187 inches and 4200 pounds. Let’s not put the two cars in the same category in any way. Whatever the C63 is, the 911 isn’t.

The original poster used the words “quality sports car.” I would never describe my C63S as a quality sports car. I’d probably say, “it’s sporty for a big car,” or “it’s a quality gt.” The 911 is a quality sports car.

The 911 is a much better riding car than the C63. Sorry, but it is. In every way.

The 911 will crush the C63 on any track or on any street, in every performance way. And as I said- it’s a much better riding car. Its road manners are far superior. It doesn’t ride firm. The C63 rides firm.

Build quality. The 911 is a much higher class of car, so you get higher build quality. For example- my C63S coupe has wind noise creeping through the top of the windows at 65 mph on the highway. It’s a c-class.

Practicality. The 911 is a very practical sports car. Front trunk is very sizable, and rear seats offer additional space. The trunk in the C coupe/sedan is very good, but the trunk in the c cabrio is very small. Original poster is looking for a cabrio, so he should definitely look at the trunk size in the C cabrio. It’s tiny. The original poster didn’t talk about cargo or passengers, so not sure if that would be a factor.

If I need to convince anybody that going from a 911 to a c-class with lots of power is a downgrade, then I’ve got quite a task before me.

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-27-2018 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:02 AM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr

Well I have to disagree with this.

The 911 is much more of a sports car than the C63. Yes, 911s have grown in size, but at 178 inches and 3200 pounds, that’s sports car territory, even though it’s a 2+2. The C63S coupe/cabrio is 187 inches and 4200 pounds. Let’s not put the two cars in the same category in any way. Whatever the C63 is, the 911 isn’t.

The original poster used the words “quality sports car.” I would never describe my C63S as a quality sports car. I’d probably say, “it’s sporty for a big car,” or “it’s a quality gt.” The 911 is a quality sports car.

The 911 is a much better riding car than the C63. Sorry, but it is. In every way.

The 911 will crush the C63 on any track or on any street, in every performance way. And as I said- it’s a much better riding car. Its road manners are far superior. It doesn’t ride firm. The C63 rides firm.

Build quality. The 911 is a much higher class of car, so you get higher build quality. For example- my C63S coupe has wind noise creeping through the top of the windows at 65 mph on the highway. It’s a c-class.

Practicality. The 911 is a very practical sports car. Front trunk is very sizable, and rear seats offer additional space. The trunk in the C coupe/sedan is very good, but the trunk in the c cabrio is very small. Original poster is looking for a cabrio, so he should definitely look at the trunk size in the C cabrio. It’s tiny. The original poster didn’t talk about cargo or passengers, so not sure if that would be a factor.

If I need to convince anybody that going from a 911 to a c-class with lots of power is a downgrade, then I’ve got quite a task before me.

I agree with this, no question about it the 911 is a true sports car. And arguably the quintessential sports car and the most iconic. There is no comparison. I encourage anyone that has not tested a 911 to try one as it is an upgrade to the C63S in every way. The 911 platform competes dynamically against the highest performance variants from Ferrari, Lamborghini, and other manufacturers. The baby Carrera lives up to the spirit of the top of the line GT2/GT3 cars while offering top quality livability and everyday comforts. It is entirely in a league above the C63S.

Sorry to hear about C6Jeff’s issues with the PDK. Maybe something was off with the car or the model year, but PDK in general is widely regarded as the best automatic in the business.

This is not to bag on the C63S, it is still a fantastic car. It’s a wonderful GT cruiser and German muscle car that can still hold its own dynamically while being very fun to drive. It’s got a V8 and sounds great. It offers a much different flavor to its actual Porsche competitor, the 718, which is a precision sports car.

Last edited by Xec; 12-27-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Xec
This is not to bag on the C63S, it is still a fantastic car. It’s a wonderful GT cruiser and German muscle car that can still hold its own dynamically while being very fun to drive. It’s got a V8 and sounds great. It offers a much different flavor to its actual Porsche competitor, the 718, which is a precision sports car.
Very nicely stated.

I own the C63S primarily because of the engine. The engine is killer. Also, the C63S oozes with technology and trinkets of AMG-specific aesthetics and engineering, and this spirit bonds me emotionally to the car.

Last edited by 348SStb; 12-27-2018 at 10:31 AM.
tiledhouse (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 10:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
I think for those people who can possibly put the C63s and the 911 together in the same thought, there ought to be a separate thread. The 911 seemed much too impractical for my needs, which included a large trunk for stowing my bicycle and a nominal back seat to shuttle 2 medium adults from the airport and/or dinner. Also, for me it also had to have 8 cylinders because - quite frankly - the sound is an addiction. It's also plenty fast enough to get me in trouble.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
911 aside, and they don't sound very good. they are dynamically far superior to a c63 , but depending on the variant, aren't necessarily as entertaining as a cruiser as the c63s. However I'm not talking about the cabriolet. it is a real porker. the M4 convertible with hard top is much smarter, probably more practical but as a car to drive around ? yuk. my best mate had one and booted it out in a few months once the summer was over. it is heavy for a bmw 3 series and the sound is terrible and it suffers from serious twitchiness and nervousness on any road imperfections.

OP needs to drive both and decide. the cab though seems very much on the heavy side and that might be it's Achilles heel if pushed around, but whether it struggles as much as the M4 convertible as a daily, I can't say. the m4 convertible isn't as dynamically good to drive as the c63s saloon or the m4 coupe. And it sounds awful but is a real good looking car. really really good looking especially in that light blue colour, whatever it is called...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comparing the C63s to a BMW M4