Sponsored by:

2017 C63 Rental Purchase?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2019 | 08:17 PM

2014 VW CC VR6
2017 C63 Rental Purchase?

Hi
i have been pondering getting a 2017 C63 with ~20k miles. There are a few local for $45k. Great deal, I need two!!
wait.......they are all former Hertz rentals. Oh boy.
I know these are used and hard driven cars. I rag out the Ford Fiestas I rent.
They are less than two years old and if you buy directly from Hertz the add a 12/12k warranty on top of factory 4/50k.
I have never had a car over three years so that takes me close to end of warranty.
Local dealership laughs and wants ~$55k for a similar car.
For a $10k difference I can deal with a rental that is still under warranty.

What am am I missing? How bad an idea is this?
Thanks so much for the feedback and help keeping me safe from myself.
Old 01-18-2019 | 11:29 PM

C63
I think I’d be looking for minor paint repair after car park scrapes, which might not be the best quality. I might be concerned about how many kerbs have been hit which may have damaged steering or suspension, definitely check for a nice stright t steering wheel at higher speeds with no wandering
Can the car take being thrashed, yes it can, the problem might be if engine and gearbox have not been warmed up beforehand, you’ll never know

But if it’s a good bit cheaper and condition visually checks out
The following users liked this post:
C63hopeful (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019 | 03:04 AM

2014 VW CC VR6
Great thoughts!
thanks!
Old 01-19-2019 | 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Something else to keep in mind. Is to pay close attention to how the car is equipped. Most likely, this will be a base model with little to no options. Be cognizant of that. Sure, you'll save some dough. But if any of the functional options like: Distronic, HUD (head up display), surround view camera, automatic intelligent high beams aren't on there. You may be disappointed. I actually have gotten rid of a couple cars over the years for this very reason. I won't make that mistake a third time.
C63hopeful (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019 | 10:34 AM

2014 VW CC VR6
Originally Posted by benzbell
Something else to keep in mind. Is to pay close attention to how the car is equipped. Most likely, this will be a base model with little to no options. Be cognizant of that. Sure, you'll save some dough. But if any of the functional options like: Distronic, HUD (head up display), surround view camera, automatic intelligent high beams aren't on there. You may be disappointed. I actually have gotten rid of a couple cars over the years for this very reason. I won't make that mistake a third time.
you are correct. These cars are fairly base with only upgraded pano sunroof and a few other options.
While the C63 comes standard with lots of goodies, there are a few other options that would be preferable.
Thanks for the insight and feedback!
Old 01-21-2019 | 08:07 PM

W205 C63s
Originally Posted by benzbell
+1 . The ex rentals are typically base C63’s. My recommendation is to keep an eye on CarGurus and Autotrader and find a dealer that didn’t price the options correctly. You can use one of the VIN decoder websites to get the list of options. Biggest option to look for are the performance exhaust with flaps (option U78) + maybe HUD. I searched for a long time for option P21 the air balance kit and found a good deal last year at a Nissan dealer. Before purchasing I had them take it to a reputable MB and essentially do a CPO inspection and collect the service history. Worked out good. No complaints.
Old 01-22-2019 | 11:38 AM

2016 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by C63hopeful
Hi
i have been pondering getting a 2017 C63 with ~20k miles. There are a few local for $45k. Great deal, I need two!!
They are less than two years old and if you buy directly from Hertz the add a 12/12k warranty on top of factory 4/50k.
I have never had a car over three years so that takes me close to end of warranty.

I'm in the car rental business and the reason they are so cheap is that when one goes to auction and has a rental history it will not bring anything close to top dollar. In addition I'd like to state these cars are typically only rented to the specialty renters as a rule and as such do not get as abused as much you might think. Of course the guys that clean the cars different story. But at most locations those guys never leave the parking lot. Everyone in the business pays close attention to the rear tires as well and you better not get caught screwing around and abusing one. But like someone said these cars can take abuse. Just to give you an example, I was just about to purchase one myself which had 40K miles on it. But the thing had been in service for 24 months. 40K miles is pretty typical on most rental cars in 14 months. So they don't get rented much for the reasons stated above. Go check out the carfax history. The one I was interested in was at the dealer every 7K miles throughout its entire life. It was rough around the edges and yes the front bumper had been rammed into a curb a few times, but I believe they typically fix that before they sell them. But like everyone was saying it was not that well equipped. Me I really wanted the performance exhaust and the larger wheels. I found an S model white with black wheels and a pano roof with the brown interior with 17K miles. It was an off lease unit and yes I'm technically a dealer, although buying and selling is only for fleet purposes, not necessarily to make money after purchase.

But I'm not sure what else it has as it will not hit the lot until about 1 today. But I'm on the edge of my seat for sure. I'm hoping for the HUD and whatever the hell else you can get on one. I drove the black rental one a few days and it was just another black Mercedes going down the road. No one paid any attention to it until you cranked it up. I drove a manual CTSV from 2009 to 2014. Kept the 2014 until a few months back as it was the last year with a manual. The last 4 were all silver with black wheels and yellow calipers. There was hardly a day that went by someone did not say something to me about the V, sometimes just thumbs up going down the interstate. Always valet parked out front at a nice restaurant. I miss that and just did not see it happening with the standard C63. But none of this is not to say it is not a good bargain and a lot of car for the money. The only thing I don't like about these cars is that they are not much fun to drive unless you are going fast, whereas the V with the manual took me back to the age of 16 in my SS chevelle with a 4 speed only it was a 100 times better and it was just fun to drive through the gears to the speed limit. Anyway JMO and I'm being way to long winded here.
Old 01-22-2019 | 12:28 PM

2016 AMG C63 S
Hi

one more piece of info I'd like to throw your way, is the dealers are buying these cars for about 38500 to 41000 depending on miles. The guy probably has 5 grand mark up in it. He is not trying to rape you but you never know you offer him 42 and he just bought it last week he night just take it.
C63hopeful (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019 | 06:20 AM

2014 VW CC VR6
Originally Posted by mbfan219

+1 . The ex rentals are typically base C63’s. My recommendation is to keep an eye on CarGurus and Autotrader and find a dealer that didn’t price the options correctly. You can use one of the VIN decoder websites to get the list of options. Biggest option to look for are the performance exhaust with flaps (option U78) + maybe HUD. I searched for a long time for option P21 the air balance kit and found a good deal last year at a Nissan dealer. Before purchasing I had them take it to a reputable MB and essentially do a CPO inspection and collect the service history. Worked out good. No complaints.
Thanks!
Yea they have very few premium options but are still have all the basic good features.
I would love to have the three options you mentioned. I will also look into the air balance as I am not familiar with it.
Great idea on the pho”cpo” idea. Anything to get more piece of mind is helpful.
Thank for the feedback!
Old 01-23-2019 | 06:40 AM

2014 VW CC VR6
Originally Posted by Detro996
I'm in the car rental business and the reason they are so cheap is that when one goes to auction and has a rental history it will not bring anything close to top dollar. In addition I'd like to state these cars are typically only rented to the specialty renters as a rule and as such do not get as abused as much you might think. Of course the guys that clean the cars different story. But at most locations those guys never leave the parking lot. Everyone in the business pays close attention to the rear tires as well and you better not get caught screwing around and abusing one. But like someone said these cars can take abuse. Just to give you an example, I was just about to purchase one myself which had 40K miles on it. But the thing had been in service for 24 months. 40K miles is pretty typical on most rental cars in 14 months. So they don't get rented much for the reasons stated above. Go check out the carfax history. The one I was interested in was at the dealer every 7K miles throughout its entire life. It was rough around the edges and yes the front bumper had been rammed into a curb a few times, but I believe they typically fix that before they sell them. But like everyone was saying it was not that well equipped. Me I really wanted the performance exhaust and the larger wheels. I found an S model white with black wheels and a pano roof with the brown interior with 17K miles. It was an off lease unit and yes I'm technically a dealer, although buying and selling is only for fleet purposes, not necessarily to make money after purchase.

But I'm not sure what else it has as it will not hit the lot until about 1 today. But I'm on the edge of my seat for sure. I'm hoping for the HUD and whatever the hell else you can get on one. I drove the black rental one a few days and it was just another black Mercedes going down the road. No one paid any attention to it until you cranked it up. I drove a manual CTSV from 2009 to 2014. Kept the 2014 until a few months back as it was the last year with a manual. The last 4 were all silver with black wheels and yellow calipers. There was hardly a day that went by someone did not say something to me about the V, sometimes just thumbs up going down the interstate. Always valet parked out front at a nice restaurant. I miss that and just did not see it happening with the standard C63. But none of this is not to say it is not a good bargain and a lot of car for the money. The only thing I don't like about these cars is that they are not much fun to drive unless you are going fast, whereas the V with the manual took me back to the age of 16 in my SS chevelle with a 4 speed only it was a 100 times better and it was just fun to drive through the gears to the speed limit. Anyway JMO and I'm being way to long winded here.
thanks
the S that is coming in sounds like a great car with cool options. Let me know what you think!
the black on black is nice and clean but not flashy like some of the other combos. I agree that they are not The flashiest except to those who know what they are, or the folks that are scared when the car lets loose😀. Damn I love that exhaust.

I also agree about the rental guys being very protective. I rented a Z06 in San Diego a few months ago and thought the manager was going to have to come with me. I for sure got my money’s worth on that car. But I did not abuse it. Honestly that is a car you need to learn how to drive before pushing it to its limits.
Glad you liked the CTSV. Love that car inside and out.
I am the Engineering Manger for Eaton in Athens, Ga for the past 16 years where we make the superchargers for the Vs, Z06, etc. It’s really fun to make high volume performance parts for these amazing cars. Of course when I find the right C63 I will have to park it in the back of the lot as it has twinTurbos. The T word is a cuss word at work😀

thanks again for the industry insight and I hope to hear good things about your new car!
Old 01-24-2019 | 07:53 AM

2016 AMG C63 S

thanks
the S that is coming in sounds like a great car with cool options. Let me know what you think!
the black on black is nice and clean but not flashy like some of the other combos. I agree that they are not The flashiest except to those who know what they are, or the folks that are scared when the car lets loose😀. Damn I love that exhaust.

I also agree about the rental guys being very protective. I rented a Z06 in San Diego a few months ago and thought the manager was going to have to come with me. I for sure got my money’s worth on that car. But I did not abuse it. Honestly that is a car you need to learn how to drive before pushing it to its limits.
Glad you liked the CTSV. Love that car inside and out.
I am the Engineering Manger for Eaton in Athens, Ga for the past 16 years where we make the superchargers for the Vs, Z06, etc. It’s really fun to make high volume performance parts for these amazing cars. Of course when I find the right C63 I will have to park it in the back of the lot as it has twinTurbos. The T word is a cuss word at work😀

thanks again for the industry insight and I hope to hear good things about your new car!
Well then please tell me you have something your riding with an Eaton Supercharger on it, a bicycle or anything. Surely you guys get the deals ? LOL
Old 01-24-2019 | 09:34 AM

2016 C 450
I looked at a couple of these about 3 months ago. As a poster above suggested, they are very lightly optioned. Each one I looked at needed a major paint correction as the black shows everything., so put aside $1000 to get the car looking decent. Hertz runs them through a car wash after every rental. The car has probably been through the car wash 200 times. I never bothered to take a test drive as the vehicles were too rough for me.
Old 01-24-2019 | 10:39 AM

2016 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by AlexKeyWest
I looked at a couple of these about 3 months ago. As a poster above suggested, they are very lightly optioned. Each one I looked at needed a major paint correction as the black shows everything., so put aside $1000 to get the car looking decent. Hertz runs them through a car wash after every rental. The car has probably been through the car wash 200 times. I never bothered to take a test drive as the vehicles were too rough for me.
You nailed that for sure. The nylon on the car wash brushes really do a job on the paint finish. The one I drove was just that bad. It would need to be clay blocked and buffed by a professional to get it looking good again, Mine also had both points on the front end crunched and the interior console was scratched to high heaven. then the seats corners seemed a bit over worn. But it was cheap. Compared to retail anyway.
C63hopeful (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019 | 07:20 PM

2014 VW CC VR6
Originally Posted by Detro996
Well then please tell me you have something your riding with an Eaton Supercharger on it, a bicycle or anything. Surely you guys get the deals ? LOL
I wish.
Nope just just get the please to build them daily. Very cool
Old 01-24-2019 | 07:22 PM

2014 VW CC VR6
Originally Posted by AlexKeyWest
good point.
The two I have test driven were at night so hard to tell. I will for sure look at that. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2019 | 01:18 PM

2018 c63s
I rented a c63 from Hertz a few months ago in San Fransisco and drove to Napa for vacation. Yes, it had zero options, the black paint was horrendous, but it was also evident that the front fender, bumper had been repainted and all four wheels were curbed, of course.
C63hopeful (01-26-2019)
Old 09-17-2020 | 03:32 PM

mb w212
In my opinion $45k is good price for C63, the car is still 3 years old which mean you won’t face any problem with it for at least next 4 - 5 years, i had a nice experience of driving the C63 when i was on a vacation to Odessa, Ukraine, i rented it for low price on https://narscars.com.ua/en/kiev-r4 and driving it was the most interesting than other cars even with higher quality steering and powerful engine and that’s why i decided to buy one when i go back home and i did, now i have it for almost year and it’s still running like brand new car, i paid $50k with AMG kit.

Last edited by UnaAllan; 09-17-2020 at 03:50 PM.