C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Scoop on Magno Paint Repair/Costs/Care...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2019 | 10:23 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Surge
The issue without PPF is stone chips and scratches. If these don’t bother you or you don’t mind paying double the normal cost (or more) to repaint... then ...
It almost feels like a must have PPF here in NYC esp with winter coming. I purchased my 2019 C63S coupe in April and have about 4,500 miles. Iridium Silver. I got a quote already about a week ago for different options and areas to be PPF. I have been using clay bar and quality wax and sealant but surely doesn't seem that will prevent sand type/stone chips. This is my DD and with the harsh salt put down I probably should get more than just a Clear Bra? The installed eyeballed on my car believes that very little or no paint correction will be needed. I own the car and ususally keep for 3/1/2 years. Visual and feel on the front end I do not notice any sand /grit or stone clips. Any others suggestion would be helpful.
Old 11-07-2019 | 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by jj18
It almost feels like a must have PPF here in NYC esp with winter coming. I purchased my 2019 C63S coupe in April and have about 4,500 miles. Iridium Silver. I got a quote already about a week ago for different options and areas to be PPF. I have been using clay bar and quality wax and sealant but surely doesn't seem that will prevent sand type/stone chips. This is my DD and with the harsh salt put down I probably should get more than just a Clear Bra? The installed eyeballed on my car believes that very little or no paint correction will be needed. I own the car and ususally keep for 3/1/2 years. Visual and feel on the front end I do not notice any sand /grit or stone clips. Any others suggestion would be helpful.
Do you have a place to keep this car indoors? I would go buy a beater and park it. Perhaps take it out on some nice days over winter. Surely you have some of those I'd imagine. Not worth the stress/worry of winter driving. Depending upon what you PPF. You are looking at 2-5K. Spend that loot on a older AWD Subaru or something like that.
Old 11-07-2019 | 01:35 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Purchased winter tires already. My "plan" is to rent an inexpensive Interprise rental for say a week or so if NYC area get hit with major snow storm..and keep the baby inside and warm. Praying for zero snow.
Old 11-15-2019 | 07:56 PM

BMW M5
My PPF shop is among the best and they said there is No Issue removing XPEL from Magno paint. They actually removed a few panels already, in order to redo them.
What shop did you use?
Old 11-15-2019 | 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by WeDa303
What shop did you use?
Check them out here: https://instagram.com/ali_autobathel...d=ewwwesvr1qwr

They are in Toronto.
Old 11-17-2019 | 09:36 AM

2020 AMG GTR, 2019 AMG GT63
My PPF shop is among the best and they said there is No Issue removing XPEL from Magno paint. They actually removed a few panels already, in order to redo them.
you absolutely need to use steam when removing it from Magno paint. There are other tricks, such as pulling away (like you are stretching it) vs pulling it off like a band aid. We pulled the factory pieces from the rear quarter panel with no issue...just has to be done properly. I think what he was getting at was a repainted part of the car, especially if not prepped right prior to paint, there is a much better chance of pint coming with the ppf when pulled.
Old 11-17-2019 | 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If it’s not repainted correctly then all bets are off. It’s not the fault of the PPF. It will most likely chip and peel even without PPF.
There is nothing significantly different about matte vs glossy paint - it’s just the top coat that’s different. There’s no reason why the paints won’t behave the same in terms of adhesion to metal or to PPF.
Old 11-19-2019 | 09:03 AM

'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by mrgator_1
Had a question for all the magno paint owners. As I own an edition 1 with the magno grey paint, I chose to cover the entire car with excel matte ppf. My main concern, which I have never seen anyone bring up, is what happens 8-10 years down the line when the warranty for the film runs out, or even starts to degrade. How the heck are we all going to remove that film. I had ppf film on my 2004 BMW which I only put on the front part of the bumper and hood. At about 10 years it started to yellow and crack. Let me tell you, I spent hours removing that small section from the car, and that was over glossy paint. I abused that paint using plastic card-type tools along with rubbing the remaining glue residue. It came out fine due to the glossy paint. This is matte, and an entire car!! I really worry about this and would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on this. I reached out to excel, but all they mentioned is how the film has evolved and about their 10 year warranty. I don’t think they’re going to pay for any paint damage which occurs when removing this film.
I wouldn't worry about this. One of the reasons Xpel has such an excellent reputation is because they actually stand by their product and warranty. Here's an excellent example: https://www.r8talk.com/threads/xpel-...te-fail.84745/. This was clearly an issue of poor clearcoat (or in my opinion, that hood was repaired without the current owner's knowledge), and the pain was significantly damaged during Xpel removal. Xpel stood behind their product and warrantied the paint repair to the hood, 100%. So I'd say, to be safe, remove your Xpel film just prior to the 10 year mark, so it's removed while its still under warranty, and you'll be covered either way.

Also, I echo others' comments; leave the removal to the professionals. There's a lot of experience and technique that goes into applying the film, and the same holds for safely removing it from your car without damaging it.
The following 2 users liked this post by FDNewbie:
Stickboy (07-10-2020), Surge (11-19-2019)
Old 11-19-2019 | 11:25 AM

2018 amg gtr
water steaks on mango metallic paint

Hi I recently bought a 2018 amg gtr with Selenite Mango Metallic paint.

The car was purchased out of state and shipped to me.

Before the car was loaded it got rained on. The shippers loaded it wet and then proceeded to cover it in clear plastic to "protect it".

When the car arrived and the plastic was removed, it had long streaks that discolored the finish. I am unable to remove the streaks and do not want to damage the paint.

Any suggestions?
Old 11-19-2019 | 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by John Farrow
Hi I recently bought a 2018 amg gtr with Selenite Mango Metallic paint.

The car was purchased out of state and shipped to me.

Before the car was loaded it got rained on. The shippers loaded it wet and then proceeded to cover it in clear plastic to "protect it".

When the car arrived and the plastic was removed, it had long streaks that discolored the finish. I am unable to remove the streaks and do not want to damage the paint.

Any suggestions?
Welcome John, and sorry to hear this!

First, notify the shipper immediately (if you haven't already done so). Take photos and document everything, and tell them that they damaged the paint, and you will be filing a claim to pay for the repair.

Second, buy a good matte paint cleanser, like these from Dr. Beasley: buy the Matte Decon, Cleanser, and the Body Wash. The Decon and the Cleanser should remove the water marks.
https://www.drbeasleys.com/shop/exte...-car-care.html
Amazon should carry all of these.

Third, once the marks are removed, get a good quality full body PPF + Ceramic Pro coating. I did this on my GTC and I have the same Magno paint as you. Then you don't have to worry as much... keep in mind the Ceramic Pro needs 2 weeks to cure, during which you should not leave it wet.

Let us know how it goes!
The following users liked this post:
Stickboy (07-10-2020)
Old 11-19-2019 | 11:41 AM

2018 amg gtr
water steaks on mango metallic paint

Awesome,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was searching forums online and the Dr. B product seems to come up quite a bit. i did immediately inform the dealer and shipper of the issue and plan on taking the car to a professional detail company i use locally.

The car is amazing and a blast to drive (At 11 PM last night) !

Anyway, i will keep everyone posted and share photos for others to see and learn from.

Thanks again.
930man (09-03-2024)
Old 11-19-2019 | 01:35 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Klinh
I do. Still enjoying my 2009 SLK55 w’ 165K miles.Will also keep the C63s at least that long or longer.
Looks amazing! That's what I love about these cars, even after a decade they still look bad ***. I plan on keeping my C63S for that long as well. Pretty soon I'll get some wider rims/tires! I'm all about reflective gloss all the way. Maybe I'm old fashioned but the car looks brand new and the paint really pops with PPF and ceramic coatings. Lots of compliments all the time!
Old 12-21-2019 | 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'25 EQG deposit, '23 MC20 Cielo, '20 Fat Boy
How about bugs & bird poop? Do you really have to get it off right away? We get love bugs twice a year here and regular bugs all the time, and if I have to remove them right away it will become a part time job. I have my Porsche Opti-coated and it is very easy to clean but the paint is gloss Miami Blue and it is not a daily driver so bugs & poop are not a concern.
Old 12-22-2019 | 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
How about bugs & bird poop? Do you really have to get it off right away? We get love bugs twice a year here and regular bugs all the time, and if I have to remove them right away it will become a part time job. I have my Porsche Opti-coated and it is very easy to clean but the paint is gloss Miami Blue and it is not a daily driver so bugs & poop are not a concern.
It’s no different than glossy paint. Opticoat or Ceramic Pro at a minimum. Better to PPF and coat. I would do the same for gloss paint.
Old 12-22-2019 | 12:24 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
It’s no different than glossy paint. Opticoat or Ceramic Pro at a minimum. Better to PPF and coat. I would do the same for gloss paint.
Anyone know does XPEL PPF installer need to remove any front end parts (bumper, headlights, fenders) to do a entire front end clear bra? Especially wrapping it under the headlights.
Old 12-22-2019 | 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anyone know does XPEL PPF installer need to remove any front end parts (bumper, headlights, fenders) to do a entire front end clear bra? Especially wrapping it under the headlights.
If you don’t want to see the edges of the PPF, then you need to remove the adjacent panels. You need to press the edges firmly and anchor them, or the PPF will not adhere properly. The only way to do that is reach behind the panels (if you don’t want to see the edges), which means removing them. Most people don’t remove them. The edges are not that visible if you use a good shop. But without Ceramic coating, the edges will collect dirt
Old 12-22-2019 | 01:48 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
If you don’t want to see the edges of the PPF, then you need to remove the adjacent panels. You need to press the edges firmly and anchor them, or the PPF will not adhere properly. The only way to do that is reach behind the panels (if you don’t want to see the edges), which means removing them. Most people don’t remove them. The edges are not that visible if you use a good shop. But without Ceramic coating, the edges will collect dirt
. Thanks.
I had my done a month or so ago XPEL full front clear bra and recently noticed Driver side just under headlight it separated peeled away. Also wrap cut line is about 1" away from bottom of headlight. (Photos below).
XPEL installer will re-do. Gave me 2 options: 1. Remove (forgot if he say bumper or fender) so he can tuck wrap under headlights so no cut line is visable and not separating. Option 2 is just re-do the bumper and get wrap cut line right under headlight and apply an adhesive to that area.
. The installer has an auto body shop next to his shop to assist if he need help with any part removal.
Not sure which option I want to take. I am concerned that something could go wrong with bumper or fender or headlights being removed. Otherwise the rest is car looks good.
Any advise would be helpful.

Old 12-22-2019 | 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

. Thanks.
I had my done a month or so ago XPEL full front clear bra and recently noticed Driver side just under headlight it separated peeled away. Also wrap cut line is about 1" away from bottom of headlight. (Photos below).
XPEL installer will re-do. Gave me 2 options: 1. Remove (forgot if he say bumper or fender) so he can tuck wrap under headlights so no cut line is visable and not separating. Option 2 is just re-do the bumper and get wrap cut line right under headlight and apply an adhesive to that area.
. The installer has an auto body shop next to his shop to assist if he need help with any part removal.
Not sure which option I want to take. I am concerned that something could go wrong with bumper or fender or headlights being removed. Otherwise the rest is car looks good.
Any advise would be helpful.

Hmm, not happy with the cut lines around your headlight. Looks like they were cut by hand. Your installer should be using a machine with templates. This will also ensure they get closer to the edge. You should only be 2mm or so from the edge, not 1 inch.
Old 12-22-2019 | 05:09 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Hmm, not happy with the cut lines around your headlight. Looks like they were cut by hand. Your installer should be using a machine with templates. This will also ensure they get closer to the edge. You should only be 2mm or so from the edge, not 1 inch.
​​​​​​ . Thanks. Will ensure he understands.
Old 01-24-2020 | 12:34 PM

Mercedes Benz S500L and S500 Night Edition
Anyone out there resprayed a panel on there Selenite grey magno car and the process needed to match the panel with the rest of the car? The new panel on mine is very matt whilst the rest of the car has a slight sheen so there must be I guess a process hopefully to match it to the rest of the car I need to take. Any help would be much appreciated. Best garno
Old 01-25-2020 | 10:42 AM

2021 C63S coupe
A good shop will be able to match it. They have to know what they are doing.

It’s takes a lot of patience, testing on old panels then checking for colour match under the right light sources.

Only after a perfect match is obtained will they transfer to the car.
garno (01-25-2020)
Old 05-11-2020 | 04:53 PM

R350
2020 GLC magno selenite

Manufactured in August 2019. Delivered in October. 3500 winter miles do far. One minor scratch by squirrel. MB dealer hand-washed only. Hand dry with virgin-clean towel.

Only use “touch-less” car washes. No brushes or rags.
Old 06-24-2020 | 01:03 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by Carlo Cc

My 2019 C63-S Graphite Grey Magno had a buff mark on the right fender on delivery day. Dealership scheduled paint repair at their most trusted body shop.

Factory Matte Clear Coat used by MB wasn't available to Canada. They ordered a very similar US brand and worked with customer support to blend the formula. A few formulas were tested on 'Test Cards', held up next to the vehicle, and adjusted until the desired match was achieved.

Once painted onto the fender, it was a perfect match to the door and hood. No need to repaint entire side. Only techniques and education, which will only improve from here on out as Matte paints are still fairly young.
What shop did this repair?

I’m currently having issues with a repair job that was done on my Magno car, where the clear on the repaired panel doesn’t seem to match the rest of the car. Done by a Mercedes-authorized body shop no less.
Old 07-10-2020 | 11:41 AM

2021 AMG C43
Fantastic post - appreciate the detail and the honesty! Very helpful!
Old 07-10-2020 | 12:05 PM

2021 AMG C43
Originally Posted by benzbell
I would venture to guess almost no one would keep a car that long.
EXACTLY! But if somone does keep a car 10+ years, I would return to an authorized Xpel installer and have them remove then replace! SIMPLE

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Scoop on Magno Paint Repair/Costs/Care...