Difference between 2018 and 2019 C63S Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes C63S Coupe
Difference between 2018 and 2019 C63S Coupe

Hello guys!

I’m wondering if there are any differences between 2018 or 2019 C63S Coupe? Facelift and interior are excluded. I heard that 2019s have the GPF filter which affects the sound, but is there any other chances? I’m debating whether to go for a 2018 or a 2019, please any input will be appreciated!

Cheers!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,456 Posts
2019 C63CS
Yes, there are a number of differences. The GPF filter is only on European builds. US builds don't have it according to the build sheets. You should probably read up or watch some of the reviews. Below is a summary of what's new. AMG focused on improving the dynamics and traction with the 2019. Giving the S the 9-stage traction control straight from the GT-R, re-tuned suspension which now makes for a more comfortable ride in Comfort, yet a more dynamic ride in Sport+. Overall the changes are geared towards improving the ability of the car to put down the power it has. Combined with the new transmission, it resulted in a 0.1s faster 0-60 time as claimed by MB, and about a 0.3s faster standing quarter mile as tested by C&D. The car went from a low 12s 1/4 mile to a high 11s all while keeping the same engine power and torque. It's overall a bit refined. Many think it sounds better despite the GPF in Europe, but it seems they may have toned down the artificial bangs & pops a bit, but I like it. Drove one the other day and it sounds great. Better than the 2018 IMO. I'm picking mine up in Germany on May 6.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-05-2019 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:01 AM

2017 Mercedes C63S Coupe
Firsr of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

The reason I was holding back on getting a 2019 was the GPF filter. Is there any downsides on 2019s where 2018s are better? Or it is more like a 2019s win all the way?

Originally Posted by superswiss
Yes, there are a number of differences. The GPF filter is only on European builds. US builds don't have it according to the build sheets. You should probably read up or watch some of the reviews. Below is a summary of what's new. AMG focused on improving the dynamics and traction with the 2019. Giving the S the 9-stage traction control straight from the GT-R, re-tuned suspension which now makes for a more comfortable ride in Comfort, yet a more dynamic ride in Sport+. Overall the changes are geared towards improving the ability of the car to put down the power it has. Combined with the new transmission, it resulted in a 0.1s faster 0-60 time as claimed by MB, and about a 0.3s faster standing quarter mile as tested by C&D. The car went from a low 12s 1/4 mile to a high 11s all while keeping the same engine power and torque. It's overall a bit refined. Many think it sounds better despite the GPF in Europe, but it seems they may have toned down the artificial bangs & pops a bit, but I like it. Drove one the other day and it sounds great. Better than the 2018 IMO. I'm picking mine up in Germany on May 6.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,677 Likes on 2,456 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by ethanhooo
Firsr of all, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

The reason I was holding back on getting a 2019 was the GPF filter. Is there any downsides on 2019s where 2018s are better? Or it is more like a 2019s win all the way?
Thanks. I personally can't think of a downside. I was looking at the 2018 a bit over a year ago, but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. With the 2019, AMG pretty much fixed everything I didn't like about the 2018. The objective consensus is pretty much that the 2019 wins all the way. A few take issues here and there, but overall it's garnering rave reviews. You could probably get a much better deal on a leftover 2018, but you'll be limited to what's still sitting on the lots and it will instantly be a 1 year old car, or find a used one that has all the options you are looking for. If you wanna custom build one exactly how you want it, it's 2019 or nothing.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-06-2019 at 12:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
AV1 (03-07-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 12:02 AM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
'18 C63s Coupe
Hello guys!

I’m wondering if there are any differences between 2018 or 2019 C63S Coupe? Facelift and interior are excluded. I heard that 2019s have the GPF filter which affects the sound, but is there any other chances? I’m debating whether to go for a 2018 or a 2019, please any input will be appreciated!

Cheers!
I haven't driven a '19 yet, but have owned an '18 for a year. I can tell you there's nothing in this car I would change (except for maybe an even louder exhaust). Unlike some others, I've had no issues with the transmission. Shifts are fast & smooth. 2nd gear comfort start is a non-issue (who drives in comfort mode anyway?). Ride is firm, but not harsh. Traction is exactly what I want/expect (car is the most fun with traction control off). What I will say is the car took a couple thousand miles to settle in. Transmission & exhaust seemed to get better over time. Perfect now.

With all that said, you're generally better off buying the latest model year you can afford. Just don't expect a dramatically different driving experience.

Last edited by brevets; 03-07-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 AM

2017 Mercedes C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by brevets
I haven't driven a '19 yet, but have owned an '18 for a year. I can tell you there's nothing in this car I would change (except for maybe an even louder exhaust). Unlike some others, I've had no issues with the transmission. Shifts are fast & smooth. 2nd gear comfort start is a non-issue (who drives in comfort mode anyway?). Ride is firm, but not harsh. Traction is exactly what I want/expect (car is the most fun with traction control off). What I will say is the car took a couple thousand miles to settle in. Transmission & exhaust seemed to get better over time. Perfect now.

With all that said, you're generally better off buying the latest model year you can afford. Just don't expect a dramatically different driving experience.
Originally Posted by superswiss
Thanks. I personally can't think of a downside. I was looking at the 2018 a bit over a year ago, but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger. With the 2019, AMG pretty much fixed everything I didn't like about the 2018. The objective consensus is pretty much that the 2019 wins all the way. A few take issues here and there, but overall it's garnering rave reviews. You could probably get a much better deal on a leftover 2018, but you'll be limited to what's still sitting on the lots and it will instantly be a 1 year old car, or find a used one that has all the options you are looking for. If you wanna custom build one exactly how you want it, it's 2019 or nothing.
Thank you guys for the inputs! I’ve driven the 2018 before and I absolutely love it. I was worried MB USA would do something stupid and ruin the 2019, but seems like there is none. I will go for the 2019 since it’s the latest model year and there is no reason not to! Thanks again guys!
Old 03-07-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by brevets

i concur, I bought a 2018, saved £10000 (uk) over what I could get a discounted 2019 for,
£20000 total saving and never looked back, no issues with gearbox
Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 373 Likes on 292 Posts
the AMG drive unit and 9 stage traction control (from the GTR) on the new C63's are amazing (optional on the 63 and standard on the 63S)
Old 03-07-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Behind The Bibs
i concur, I bought a 2018, saved £10000 (uk) over what I could get a discounted 2019 for,
£20000 total saving and never looked back, no issues with gearbox
I purchased mine last February and just could not quite get used to the way the car shifted, especially in Sports+. I just got my car back from a routine 10,000 mile service and it's almost a completely different car. For one thing, I upgraded to the 265/295 Michelin PS4S at 36 p.s.i., and the ride is no longer harsh and no traction control issues. But they also did a couple of software updates, one of which was for the EMS, and the character of the transmission changed as well. The shifts are now much smoother, quieter and seemingly quicker. I now have zero complaints about the car. Nothing to complain about, dang it! I would not be surprised if the 0-60 times have improved.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Thank you guys for the inputs! I’ve driven the 2018 before and I absolutely love it. I was worried MB USA would do something stupid and ruin the 2019, but seems like there is none. I will go for the 2019 since it’s the latest model year and there is no reason not to! Thanks again guys!
Well done - IMHO that's the right choice, congrats
Old 03-14-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG C63S
DRGG ,any photos of tire setup on your car. Im looking to go runflats Michelin A/s3+ZP in 245/35/19 and 285/30/19 .Anyone running this combination?
Old 03-14-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C63S AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Dnmscz
DRGG ,any photos of tire setup on your car. Im looking to go runflats Michelin A/s3+ZP in 245/35/19 and 285/30/19 .Anyone running this combination?
Mine is the coupe, which might make a difference. The stock tires were 255/35/19 and 285/30/20. The difference is quite subtle and the car handles extremely well - better IMHO. I don't mind drifting when I want, but it was ridiculous before. Now I have to work at breaking the tires.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:44 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Other diff is the 19 has all new electronics, larger screen, digital dash, better headlights plus everything else mentioned.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63S
Drove a 2019 coupe the other day, and thought I'd share some of my thoughts:
1. The interior is definitely more interesting, and the new steering wheel config does take some time to get used to. The mini touchpad has some lags to it, but no biggie.
2. I love the two added dial pad on the steering wheel so much when first saw them in pictures and videos. After driving and using them in person, I think they are really cool, material feels a bit cheap but still really cool.
3. The digital screen seems to be a bit cheesy, given that it is embedded in the frame. A full float screen including the center console would be much better haha.
4. The ride is more comfortable in comfort mode, and I can feel that difference immediately after driving through the bumpy SF street. The noise cancellation seems to be a little bit better as well, but I'm not sure if it is just because it is a new car.
5. For some reason the backfire seems to be weak, I put it in race mode, downshifted aggressively when the car is warm, and there is no pops or bangs.
6. I'm not sure how much I liked the 9-spd transmission since it is just highway driving.
7. The headlight is better.
8. The new traction control is very cool, but completely meaningless if you don't track this car (which I believe over 90% of the user will not)

Given that the 2018s are not being discounted heavily, I don't think all the cool new features are valuable enough for you to give up on those deep discounts. The dealer that I went into seems to be pretty aggressive on the pricing so no wiggle room at all. If you are not someone like me who is completed hooked on the new steering wheel, test drive both and evaluate the economic yourself~
Old 03-15-2019, 05:09 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Originally Posted by Jinggyjin
Drove a 2019 coupe the other day, and thought I'd share some of my thoughts:
1. The interior is definitely more interesting, and the new steering wheel config does take some time to get used to. The mini touchpad has some lags to it, but no biggie.
2. I love the two added dial pad on the steering wheel so much when first saw them in pictures and videos. After driving and using them in person, I think they are really cool, material feels a bit cheap but still really cool.
3. The digital screen seems to be a bit cheesy, given that it is embedded in the frame. A full float screen including the center console would be much better haha.
4. The ride is more comfortable in comfort mode, and I can feel that difference immediately after driving through the bumpy SF street. The noise cancellation seems to be a little bit better as well, but I'm not sure if it is just because it is a new car.
5. For some reason the backfire seems to be weak, I put it in race mode, downshifted aggressively when the car is warm, and there is no pops or bangs.
6. I'm not sure how much I liked the 9-spd transmission since it is just highway driving.
7. The headlight is better.
8. The new traction control is very cool, but completely meaningless if you don't track this car (which I believe over 90% of the user will not)

Given that the 2018s are not being discounted heavily, I don't think all the cool new features are valuable enough for you to give up on those deep discounts. The dealer that I went into seems to be pretty aggressive on the pricing so no wiggle room at all. If you are not someone like me who is completed hooked on the new steering wheel, test drive both and evaluate the economic yourself~
Thanks for the write up.
Regarding the exhaust pops and bangs watch this clip. Not the best but at 8.40
your hear the pops and bangs.
And that is s a car with petrol particulate filter
enjoy