ECU Update has my car feeling lethargic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mazda
ECU Update has my car feeling lethargic

Hello folks!

I took my car to the dealership to get some warranty work done the other day (doorhandle LEDs and interior rattles) and they decided to apply an ECU update on my car C2019020002. I'm in Canada if this matters.

My car feels different and I'm hoping it's just the ECU re-learning my driving habits, but wanted to know what the community thought.

Before, my throttle seemed responsive and accurate relative to my pedal position. Now, there's this dead spot or the car just doesn't seem to want to go from a stop, almost as if the engine is holding back power? This is me starting from a stop slower than most other drivers on the road in my city. If I give her, she goes, but at lower speeds, my car feels hesitant.
My car also seems to hiccup when shifting into 3rd gear mostly. My transmission used to seamlessly move between gears, but now, it almost feels like it cuts power for a millisecond and catches itself in the next gear, which also jerks the car. When this first happened, I literally thought my engine turned off for a split second before it jerked into the next gear. This seems to happen on and off, regardless of the weather conditions and at lower RPMs.

Sport+ Mode seems fine, but TBH I haven't really been on it that often.

Is this normal with reflashing/updating an ECU? The driving characteristics were perfect before the update.

Thank you,
Old 04-02-2019, 10:27 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C63S Sedan
I'm surprised the dealership would even update control units for you, most dealerships wouldn't because there's 2 of 10 chance of failure on software update, once it fails, they need to get engineers from Germany to help fix the issue, so they just tell you there's no control units update when there actually is.

If you're in Greater Toronto Area, then this guy can definitely solve the problem for you. The bodyshop is located in unit 6, 3rd Heritage Rd, Markham. He might be the only one in North America that knows how to fix problems like this regarding control units...
@srO_Michael_Orz
Old 04-02-2019, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 283 Likes on 194 Posts
2021 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by g2lujinn
I'm surprised the dealership would even update control units for you, most dealerships wouldn't because there's 2 of 10 chance of failure on software update, once it fails, they need to get engineers from Germany to help fix the issue, so they just tell you there's no control units update when there actually is.

If you're in Greater Toronto Area, then this guy can definitely solve the problem for you. The bodyshop is located in unit 6, 3rd Heritage Rd, Markham. He might be the only one in North America that knows how to fix problems like this regarding control units...
@srO_Michael_Orz
What is the name of the guy? Good to know for reference. Is he a SCN coder? If he is, then he is not the only one. There is another guy named Sina near Simply Tire.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C63S Sedan
Originally Posted by munis
What is the name of the guy? Good to know for reference. Is he a SCN coder? If he is, then he is not the only one. There is another guy named Sina near Simply Tire.
He's Michael, and I guess he is a SCN coder, lol.