Brake Squeal normal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Brake Squeal normal?

Hey guys,

I was starting to hear that squealing sound from my brakes even though my car had less than 15000kms on it. Went to the dealer and they replaced the front pads under warranty and said the rotors are fine. Now again I notice, especially after driving around in Race mode, after a while once the brakes are warm I am assuming, they still squeal just as my foot touches the brake pedal and then it goes away as I dig in more. Went to the dealer but they say this is normal. Does anyone else experience this as well?
Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
‘17 GT F1A E85 Monster ‘16 C63s
Yes the stock pads make noise once they’re up to operating temp and under light braking. I changed pads to Porterfields and they do not make noise at any temp, barely create dust and stop just as well as Oem.
Old 07-06-2019, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Short answer yes.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 AMG C63, 2001 C5 Corvette
Yep! But it bugged the hell out of me. Had car 2 months and fronts were squeaking bad when lightly applying brake pressure, NOT with harder braking.

Took it in, SA said they all squeak and not covered under warranty.

I was lucky (my SA said he’s never seen any pads under warranty ever) as my car was 1 of 37 cars that had a brake pad recall for squeaks. They replaced FRONTS only under warranty.

They said Rears needed replacing so I paid for those $615, after 10% discount on parts and labor. These things ain’t. Cheap to fix. It was $690 before discount for 2 friggin brake PADS...... Geesh.

GOOD NEWS is, for now they DO NOT Squeak anymore and it’s Wonderful. I felt funny pulling up to a light and people looking around like who’s driving a hunk of s^%#, and it’s me in a Benz. Ha Ha

However, last week a few times it did squeak a few times barely but it went away, but I’m thinking PLEASE not again after I just got pads last week Again only squeaked when applying light pressure to brakes.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:39 AM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
My 2017 AMG C63 stock brakes (non CC) will squeak sometimes, not noticeable often and normally it is controllable with modulating the brake pedal a little. Mostly only does it after moderate to heavy usage. Rear brakes do need replacing but pretty sure its the fronts doing most of the squeaking. It's not enough to bother me but would be nice if they were quieter.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
CCB or not, the manual warns that brakes will squeal and that it is normal. Once you replace pads, some dealers apply a conditioner that reduces squeal of the replacements. That helps but it is not 100%.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2021 GLE63S
Switch to Porterfields and do it yourself.

Very easy (and comparatively cheap) job. I paid $260 for front pads and $102 for rear, all with free shipping at Topbrakes.com.

Took me about 2 hours (more than half of which was jacking up each corner and removing wheels)

No squeal, and 95% less dust.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C63S
I'm planning on doing the switch to Porterfields myself shortly. However, the rear brake sensor has come on and when I had MB look at it recently they said it needed new rotors too (at least on the rear). I have 45k miles on it which seems a little excessive.

1) Is it a difficult job to replace the pads myself? I saw some guide on here and some pieces looked a little complicated. It will suck if I get the brakes off and can't get it back on! I have a good set of tools but don't have a caliper spreader (though I do have a C-Clamp somewhere!)
2) If I do need to replace the rotors, is that something I could do myself too?
3) I saw some threads from 2017 with some rotor replacement suggestions. I'd really like to avoid paying OEM prices, does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 07-08-2019, 03:20 PM

2021 GLE63S
It is not a difficult job.

You can get a caliper spreader tool from Amazon for about $15

Regarding the rear brakes, the only prep you’ll need to do before you change them is to check out a YouTube video for the procedure on the steering wheel buttons to release the parking brake first. Otherwise, you won’t get the calipers off.

Regarding your rear rotors, unless they are actually scored by your pads, at only 45,000 miles I can’t imagine needing to replace them.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
GL450, AMG C63S Coupe
I just got some G LOC rear pads installed.... All brake noise is gone now and very little brake dust on the rear wheels. Braking response feels the exact same thus far... I would recommend them. Seems like the rear is more of the culprit for noise.
G LOC custom manufactures brake compounds. They have very aggressive compounds as well as street compounds.
Our cars aren't listed on their website but when I called them, they made a pad for my C63S, sent it to me and the fitment was perfect. I will be going with them when the front needs replacing too

http://www.g-locbrakes.com/contact/
Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C63S
Originally Posted by ahesq
It is not a difficult job.

You can get a caliper spreader tool from Amazon for about $15

Regarding the rear brakes, the only prep you’ll need to do before you change them is to check out a YouTube video for the procedure on the steering wheel buttons to release the parking brake first. Otherwise, you won’t get the calipers off.

Regarding your rear rotors, unless they are actually scored by your pads, at only 45,000 miles I can’t imagine needing to replace them.
I checked my rotors yesterday and there is no scoring. However, there is a tiny lip at the top. I'm going to get the pads and a caliper spreader and try it myself. If the brake sensor has been triggered on the rear do I need to get a new one and replace that too?
Old 07-09-2019, 10:24 AM

2021 GLE63S
Originally Posted by Zakonax
I checked my rotors yesterday and there is no scoring. However, there is a tiny lip at the top. I'm going to get the pads and a caliper spreader and try it myself. If the brake sensor has been triggered on the rear do I need to get a new one and replace that too?
Yes, you will need a new wear sensor. Just 1 per axle.

I got mine at Pelican Parts for about $10.00 or so.