Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz AMG Vehicles > C43 AMG, C63 AMG, C63S AMG (W205) > C63/C63S AMG
Calipers warping after 2500 miles (4th time visit to dealer) >

Calipers warping after 2500 miles (4th time visit to dealer)

Notices
C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calipers warping after 2500 miles (4th time visit to dealer)

Old 07-12-2019, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Rotos warping after 2500 miles (4th time visit to dealer)

Hello everyone,
I drive a 2017 c63 sedan. I have the standard breaks on my amg. Over the past six months Iíve had to replace my rotors three times due to vibration under braking at highway speeds roughly between 50-60 mph. Under city speeds no vibration occurs.

Over the past months Iíve noticed the car will misaligned to the right and soon after the vibration occurred and could be felt on the floor, brake peddle, and steering wheel.

when it first occurred I was driving my car without worry. I was downshifting whenever I could, to get the popping sounds (canít blame me) my braking was late (in the city). Then the issue started happening again so I changed my driving style. I would baby the brakes and no more downshifts.

The dealer first said it fell into a criteria where my car qualified for warranty rotor replacement. Second time around blame was on myĒ driving styleĒ and they replaced the right front rotor and both rear rotors. Third time the blamed it on faulty brakes but they couldnít really figure it out (my car was in the shop for two weeks before concluding rotors all around. Now the fourth time they are blaming it on the right tire not having even tread with the left (2 months ago and got a flat and only replaced the front left and not both)

So I am now at a crossroads I believe there is something wrong with the car. The issue is very consistent after 2k miles rotors go bad. Iíve never tracked the car. I do travel 300 miles on the weekends. I donít know if I have a bent arm or a brake duct cooling issue. My local Mercedes are kind of guessing at this point and I donít know what else to do. They want me to keep buying rotors every 2k miles when the should last 20k + the car currently has 19k miles on it.

Help...

Last edited by Aron214; 07-12-2019 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Incorrect car component mentioned.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C63S
Likely one of two things. On these cars, overtightening a lug can warp the rotor (I assume you warped a rotor...never have heard of a warped caliper in my life). Other than that( and this is where my money is), is you have a bad wheel bearing. That play will quickly cause a rotor to warp from it shifting around under braking. Demand that the dealer pull the front wheels and hubs and inspect the bearings for play.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by ezatnova View Post
Likely one of two things. On these cars, overtightening a lug can warp the rotor (I assume you warped a rotor...never have heard of a warped caliper in my life). Other than that( and this is where my money is), is you have a bad wheel bearing. That play will quickly cause a rotor to warp from it shifting around under braking. Demand that the dealer pull the front wheels and hubs and inspect the bearings for play.
I was so angry I didnít even realize I had the whole part wrong! yes rotors is correct thank you for the advice I will relay that to the dealer and see if they find anything significant.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Rotors themselves don't usually warp per se, it is usually actually pad deposits on the rotor surface that cause the vibration that people called "warping". How do you build-up pad deposits on the rotor surface quickly and often? By frequent heavy braking and coming to a stop with your foot resting on the break which is pressing the hot pad into the hot rotor surface. So I could see where they might blame driving style.

With that said you would have to be doing some ridiculously brake-heavy driving all the time to build up pad material ("warping") so often.

For a rotor to actually be warped, yes it would usually to be with really poor over tightening of the lugs. Also see where it could be the bad wheel bearing too. But that would be very surprising on a car with so few miles.

Last edited by LessIsMore; Today at 01:07 AM.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
'15 C63S
One thing too that can cause brake rotors to warp is from washing your car while the rotors are still warm. You should wait 30 minutes to an hour after driving your car to wash it, even if the car was only driven a short distance. You eant to make sure the rotors have cooled off enough that the cold/cool water from the hose won't cause the warm metal to rapidly contract and ultimately warp the rotor.
Old Today, 01:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by msd3075 View Post
One thing too that can cause brake rotors to warp is from washing your car while the rotors are still warm. You should wait 30 minutes to an hour after driving your car to wash it, even if the car was only driven a short distance. You eant to make sure the rotors have cooled off enough that the cold/cool water from the hose won't cause the warm metal to rapidly contract and ultimately warp the rotor.
No I don't think so. If that was true, every single person would constantly have warped rotors from simply driving in the rain.
Old Today, 08:02 AM

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
'15 C63S
Originally Posted by LessIsMore View Post
No I don't think so. If that was true, every single person would constantly have warped rotors from simply driving in the rain.
Yes, it does happen. Having a solid, continuous stream of cold water hitting only a portion of the rotor is very different than a mist of rain water maybe getting inside the wheels.