Sponsored by:

Downpipe length

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:46 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Downpipe length

I want to do ASR controller and secondary cat delete on my new (to me) car as a quick/inexpensive way to get some sound. I'm just wondering if I'm not pleased with how loud that setup is, do I still have the option of running a downpipe after? Essentially...will the bottom of a downpipe connect to a portion of the exhaust PAST where the secondary has been cut?

Also, would a race catted type downpipe be much louder than a factory setup with a secondary cats deleted out of it anyway?
Old 07-24-2019, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Yea you can do secondary cat delete and then upgrade to the full catless dp's without an issue when you realize you want more sound.

Yes, is much louder cattless. Much. Haha
Old 07-24-2019, 09:18 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by skim7x
Yea you can do secondary cat delete and then upgrade to the full catless dp's without an issue when you realize you want more sound.

Yes, is much louder cattless. Much. Haha
To be clear, you did you mean a race cat downpipe would be much louder than just secondary cat delete, or a catless downpipe.

I don't think I want't to go catless down pipes or down pipes in general, I just want louder, but wanted to make sure I still had that option of I chip out secondaries. I think secondary cat delete and awe Track exhaust would do it for me but I'm wondering if you can even do an awe Track exhaust on a 2017 when it appears like some 2017s were going into limp mode using the valve simulator, because you need to use the valve simulators with the track exhaust if your car came with performance exhaust.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Cattless> Race Cats>> secondary cat delete> stock DP's

Can't comment on the aftermarket exhausts though -- have never heard them in person. If you have the PE, though, I don't see any reason for the aftermarket exhausts...

I haven't kept up with the valve simulators, but when we were initially testing them on PE equipped vehicles, we didn't have any issues with limp modes or reduced power modes.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:55 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
I can barely even hear my PE exhaust with windows down. My friend has just awe Track and its much louder. I don't think the asr module will do enough to even be half as loud as the track exhaust. Maybe asr + secondary cat delete might compare to it.

From the what I've read, simulators worked on all 2015 and 2016 cars, but I read a thread where 3 separate people had issues with the simulators on their 2017s. So I'm not sure if I could even run the track exhaust because of this.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 149 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
I can barely even hear my PE exhaust with windows down. My friend has just awe Track and its much louder. I don't think the asr module will do enough to even be half as loud as the track exhaust. Maybe asr + secondary cat delete might compare to it.

From the what I've read, simulators worked on all 2015 and 2016 cars, but I read a thread where 3 separate people had issues with the simulators on their 2017s. So I'm not sure if I could even run the track exhaust because of this.
ASR module wont do anything at WOT. The only time you will notice a difference is in the low to mid range when without it the valves wouldnt open completely. I have a PE exhaust with secondary cat delete and waiting to receive my ASR module to check what kinda difference it makes.

Been debating a AWE Track exhaust as well but lets see how this goes.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
untamedd is right, but the ASR module makes the car sound SO GOOD at the low revs where you spend ?most of your time cruising around town. It's worth it just for that.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:09 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by skim7x
untamedd is right, but the ASR module makes the car sound SO GOOD at the low revs where you spend ?most of your time cruising around town. It's worth it just for that.
Damn now you got me even more excited. The car sounds better generally in the lower revs anyway. I feel that it loses that grunt and oomph in the higher revs

for the ASR install you dont have to keep your keys at a certain distance etc do you? Just pop the trunk and install there and then?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
I popped the trunk, put the key on the other side of the house, left for 10 minutes, and then did the install just to be safe.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:06 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by untamedd

Been debating a AWE Track exhaust as well but lets see how this goes.

Reading through a thread about the valve sims it appears like 2-3 people with 2017's had that limp mode happen when they tried the sims. In that thread none of the 2015/2016 reported a problem. It also appears like they followed the install instructions correctly and tried a few times. Since we need the sims to run the track exhaust if we have PE, I'm wondering if 2017s can even run the awe track exhaust.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 C63WS
I have catless DP with Stock pe exhaust and at start and idle its louder but not obnoxious. Where **** gets crazy is above 4500 revs. 😱
Old 07-24-2019, 06:18 PM

2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Reading through a thread about the valve sims it appears like 2-3 people with 2017's had that limp mode happen when they tried the sims. In that thread none of the 2015/2016 reported a problem. It also appears like they followed the install instructions correctly and tried a few times. Since we need the sims to run the track exhaust if we have PE, I'm wondering if 2017s can even run the awe track exhaust.
Of course we can. I put a awe valve sim on my h valve and had no problems. I didnt even follow any instructions.

youll never know if you dont try. Even if you get a power issue its not the emd of the world, just a software thing that the dealer or amy shop with the right tool can reset
Old 07-24-2019, 07:22 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by untamedd
Of course we can. I put a awe valve sim on my h valve and had no problems. I didnt even follow any instructions.

youll never know if you dont try. Even if you get a power issue its not the emd of the world, just a software thing that the dealer or amy shop with the right tool can reset
Like I said 2-3 guys in one thread with 2017s had problems but I just went back and saw the original poster had a 2017, and it appears you do too. I was just worried about having to take it to the dealer to get the code cleared and them wondering what I might have done since I'm still under warranty. I ordered a set last night regardless, going to give them a go. I'd rather put the 5-600 CAD that the ASR module would have cost me towards a catback anyways.