Sponsored by:

Fuel Cut

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C63 AMG S
Fuel Cut

I drive a 2015 C63 AMG S with downpipes/tune and was pushing it at the top of 3rd gear when the car bucked, threw an engine light and went into limp mode.

Got it checked and it turned out to be fuel cut. Light turned off and went back to normal after a few starts and got code cleared by my tuner. Had no issues on dyno and perfect AFRs (with full tank of fuel though).

Had 3 bars of fuel left at the time of this recent incident but have previously run out of fuel completely and had the car die on me (before I was tuned) with 2 bars of fuel in tank on an incline barely pushing it.

Has anyone had similar issues, especially at stage 2? Does anyone know if these cars run a fuel surge tank? Should I be getting my fuel system checked out or installing a surge tank or just being careful when my fuel level is getting low?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 385 Likes on 246 Posts
Look at the stored codes to see what really happened.

I had a similar issue on-track (2016 C63 S) and it was a code related to the fuel-pump (couldn't deliver enough fuel from the tank). If you've up'd performance, you'll need even more fuel to be delivered. In my case, the fuel pump was replaced (under warranty) and the shop foreman showed me the assembly ... the white "bag filter" was black/plugged, presumably from dirty fuel. The previous owner always used select/higher-octane fuel that's only available at select stations. The problem is that, at most such stations, there's low consumption of that type of fuel due to the extra cost so that fuel can tend to be old and may collect more sediment.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
'19 C43
I'd be curious as to what the codes were, shame your tuner didn't tell you exactly what they were. If the AFR stayed consistent, I might lean toward overboost as a cause of the fuel cut. Unfortunately, not enough info to say anything more definitive.