Sponsored by:

XPEL wrap separating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 04:36 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
XPEL wrap separating

About 3 weeks ago in had CPEL wrap full front end on my 2019 C63S coupe Iridium Silver. I noticed 2 things: the first: a small section of the wrap has separated/ buckled from under the Driver headlight and the second: I noticed that the wrap was not tucked in under both headlights. These is a 1/4 to 1/2 inch below both headlights and the line is visible. See photos for both issues.
. Installer said bring in monday and either make a small cut or re-do the front bumper.
. Has others experienced these situation and if so how did you handle it.
​​​​​​ . Thanks. Photos below.

Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
It can happen and should be replaced for free by installer. This is installer error not film defect.

With that said, that is a pretty amateurish looking install with a really exposed edge. I'd be wary on the skill of your installer. In that case you have no choice but to repay with another, better installer.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:38 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Yes, going to installer shop tomorrow of course with polorized sunglasses. If cannot work out anything with installer (he is an XPEL authorized installer) then XPEL website say they will contact the installer. A headache I do not feel like dealing with. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:26 AM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 S AMG, Jaguar F Pace S
Mine has done the same thing, and has caught dirt in it too. I already showed the installer, and they’re replacing the whole front film under warranty. Probably used the same template.
The following users liked this post:
jj18 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 864 Likes on 450 Posts
2020 Huracan EVO AWD - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe - 2023 C63 S Coupe -
To me it looks like it wasn't contoured properly in that spot when installed. Then overly heated and stretched to make that tight corner. The result being over time what you're experiencing now. Honestly the only way to fix it properly is to peel that piece off and redo it.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:44 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by JWreck
Mine has done the same thing, and has caught dirt in it too. I already showed the installer, and they’re replacing the whole front film under warranty. Probably used the same template.
I also noticed blemishes and distortions ONLY on sunny days wearing polarized sunglasses most on the hood. In XPEL web site under FAQ, last question says blemishes and distortions are a common occurrence while wearing polarized sunglasses. The installer was unaware of this even though he is an authorized XPEL installer.
Wondering if you are experiencing the same condition on only bright sunny days with you or someone else wearing polarized sunglasses seeing these blemishes/distortions.
I had it done less than a month ago hopefully when fully dry it fades or disappears but I don't think so.
XPEL says it normal but I do not like it. See photos. Otherwise on all other conditions I cannot tell it been done.
Thanks.

Bright sunny days with polarized. See distortion of hood

Old 12-15-2019, 12:50 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by JWreck
The XPEL installer said he will re-do the entire front bumper but will need to remove both headlights so he can wrap it correctly underneath without any seams showing.
​​​​​​ . Any issues with removing headlights?
. He also called XPEL to determine if the blemishes that are revealed only on sunny days and only through polarized sunglasses are not cover under warranty. He said if it was driving me such concerns he would remove it at no cost. I am going to forward to XPEL photos of such blemishes. Otherwise I will have installer just re do front bumper.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:06 AM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
GLC 63 AMG, Trackhawk, X3M
Originally Posted by jj18
The XPEL installer said he will re-do the entire front bumper but will need to remove both headlights so he can wrap it correctly underneath without any seams showing.
​​​​​​ . Any issues with removing headlights?
. He also called XPEL to determine if the blemishes that are revealed only on sunny days and only through polarized sunglasses are not cover under warranty. He said if it was driving me such concerns he would remove it at no cost. I am going to forward to XPEL photos of such blemishes. Otherwise I will have installer just re do front bumper.
With polarized sun glasses you will always see the blemishes. This has been discussed before on other forums.

Normally they put a relief cut inside that pocket because it’s a very tight rounded space and you can only do so much with the material. If it’s over heated the material will have rippling. It’s not totally noticeable but when you are close you can see.

My installer just popped the bumper off that tabs instead of taking the whole headlight out. I’m sure they are using a plotter and just having cut out kit. Mine was done free hand so no seams are seen. It’s truly a technique that most don’t want to take the time and do.

As it only takes one grain of dirt or dust on a edge to start lifting and eventually after time it splits and more dirt comes in he is able to trim back to stop more movement.

Perfection is just about impossible but it can be about 98-99% perfect but time tells whether they took the time to really detail the edges as dirt is held there mainly.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-16-2019, 10:50 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by KingMonkeyJr
With polarized sun glasses you will always see the blemishes. This has been discussed before on other forums.

Normally they put a relief cut inside that pocket because it’s a very tight rounded space and you can only do so much with the material. If it’s over heated the material will have rippling. It’s not totally noticeable but when you are close you can see.

My installer just popped the bumper off that tabs instead of taking the whole headlight out. I’m sure they are using a plotter and just having cut out kit. Mine was done free hand so no seams are seen. It’s truly a technique that most don’t want to take the time and do.

As it only takes one grain of dirt or dust on a edge to start lifting and eventually after time it splits and more dirt comes in he is able to trim back to stop more movement.

Perfection is just about impossible but it can be about 98-99% perfect but time tells whether they took the time to really detail the edges as dirt is held there mainly.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. The XPEL installer will remove both headlights and says if he encounters any issues with removing the headlights there is a body shop next to his business.

My concern is any problems with removing the headlights and the black seal not being properly positioned back on?

The overall installation looks excellent except for the headlights and the XPEL authorized installer not being aware of the blemishes that will be noticied

Peel is just under headlight. ( had it done 1 month ago) The XPEL cut line is also visible along and under the headlight. Installer says he will remove both headlights and wrap it inside and under the removed headlights so no notice of cut line with be visible.