Rear flat...so went to 295/30/20

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 01:01 PM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by FDNewbie
From my post here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...ml#post7475241

So I needed new tires, and I went with 265s in the front, and actually had the shop bring in both the 295s and 305s. Irrespective of the math (which was 295 is proper ratio to the 265 fronts, and that the 305 is significantly taller than the 295), when mounted on the wheel, side by side, the 295 is a much thinner tire, and it doesn't match with the beefy 265s up front. So I went 265 + 305, and they look PERFECT. Definitely fills the fender gap very very nicely. And I love the look of the beefier tires. I'm also not breaking traction from a stop (coming off the line at a light) accidentally anywhere near as much. Oh, and these tires are MUCH quieter than the PSS that the car came with originally.
Thanks for the informative post. And I love your car...friggin Sweet! And where in Tampa are you located...I lived there for about 18 years. I worked for TECO Energy and my last residence was in Tampa Palms.

About your tire choice...your post all makes sense and to each his own on how to mod their car. I personally have seen a couple of C63S coupes with the 305 on the rear (one was an Edition One just like yours) and I did not like the look of the bulge on the side of the wheel...I feel the 295 fits perfect and much better than the stretched 285 but yet not too tall. But that is just my opinion.

However, my car is now modded and when I go 1/2 mile race (on my Race Fuel tune) I may need to throw on some stickier 305's just to try and get better traction. Maybe Toyo R888R??? But for street driving and the look I want I am totally happy with the 295 PS4S.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:32 PM

Received 105 Likes on 79 Posts
'17 AMG C63S Edition 1 Coupe, '18 AMG C63S Convertible, '19 AMG GLS63
Originally Posted by W205-S
Thanks for the informative post. And I love your car...friggin Sweet! And where in Tampa are you located...I lived there for about 18 years. I worked for TECO Energy and my last residence was in Tampa Palms.
Small world man. I live in New Tampa

About your tire choice...your post all makes sense and to each his own on how to mod their car. I personally have seen a couple of C63S coupes with the 305 on the rear (one was an Edition One just like yours) and I did not like the look of the bulge on the side of the wheel...I feel the 295 fits perfect and much better than the stretched 285 but yet not too tall. But that is just my opinion.

However, my car is now modded and when I go 1/2 mile race (on my Race Fuel tune) I may need to throw on some stickier 305's just to try and get better traction. Maybe Toyo R888R??? But for street driving and the look I want I am totally happy with the 295 PS4S.
Of course...to each his own. Just wanted to show you what 305s look like. My personal taste is I don't like seeing very thin sidewalls; I like a bit of meat in the tire sidewall. Regarding the Toyos...you're in AZ, right? So if it almost never rains (I have no idea; guessing), that's not a bad idea. Otherwise, I'd stick with PS4s IMO. The Supraforums is littered with stories of crashes and totaled vehicles when someone caught caught in even a little bit of moisture with their Toyos and lost control...
Old 06-17-2020, 01:42 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
Small world man. I live in New Tampa
Very nice area...I started off in Brandon but eventually bought a home in Tampa Palms once I started working downtown. I miss the car scene there but the one here in Scottsdale AZ is awesome!

Of course...to each his own. Just wanted to show you what 305s look like. My personal taste is I don't like seeing very thin sidewalls; I like a bit of meat in the tire sidewall. Regarding the Toyos...you're in AZ, right? So if it almost never rains (I have no idea; guessing), that's not a bad idea. Otherwise, I'd stick with PS4s IMO. The Supraforums is littered with stories of crashes and totaled vehicles when someone caught caught in even a little bit of moisture with their Toyos and lost control...
I hear you and the 285 stretched look was not working for me at all...I feel the 295 sits perfectly flush with the wheel and I like that look. Again to each his own!

Oh I would not run the R888R all the time...either have my shop throw them on prior to 1/2 mile racing and then swap back after racing (my AMG is not my daily) or get another set of wheels. PS4S are my street tires for sure.
Old 06-17-2020, 05:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 AMG G63, 2020 AMG C63s Coupe
From my post here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...ml#post7475241

So I needed new tires, and I went with 265s in the front, and actually had the shop bring in both the 295s and 305s. Irrespective of the math (which was 295 is proper ratio to the 265 fronts, and that the 305 is significantly taller than the 295), when mounted on the wheel, side by side, the 295 is a much thinner tire, and it doesn't match with the beefy 265s up front. So I went 265 + 305, and they look PERFECT. Definitely fills the fender gap very very nicely. And I love the look of the beefier tires. I'm also not breaking traction from a stop (coming off the line at a light) accidentally anywhere near as much. Oh, and these tires are MUCH quieter than the PSS that the car came with originally.

So that was the good.

The bad? It's definitely not as nimble, and noticeably so. Makes sense given the heavier and larger tires up front. I also am not sure how much the tire pressures are playing a role. Sticker on the gas cap door says for the 19/20 inch wheel setup, 44 lb front, 39 lb rear (IIRC). Tire shop seems to think that's REALLY high. And I know that high tire pressures can definitely make a car handle very differently. What are you plus-size guys running your tire pressures at? I was thinking of trying 38 front and 36 in the rear.

EDIT: I finally got around to adjusting the tire pressures; brought them down to 34 front and 32 rear yesterday. Drove to work today, and it’s like a totally different car. Very light and nimble! In fact, I think she feels even better than with stock tire sizes - and now I don’t spin the tires accidentally at stoplights! The tire pressures definitely did the trick. And I’m super happy. Thanks!

Looks great! Anyway you could upload more photos of different angles of the wheels+tires? I'm going to be going wider tires too and I'm thinking between 265/305 or 265/295. I got my C63s with Cup 2s which I may go for again depending on how long they last. I'm at 6500 miles and still plenty of tread. If I can get 15k per set I'll def keep them. Just not sure if Cup 2 is similar to PS4S in that you want 305 rear if you go 265 in the front because of the sizes of the tires at those widths.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:55 PM

I no longer own that specific car, and the Ed1 Coupe I currently have is still on the original tires (and hence tire sizes). I found 3 other pics I took the same day/time as the pic above, but they're from very similar angles/vantage points. Not sure that would help you much, but happy to share if you still want them.
Old 06-17-2020, 09:48 PM

I no longer own that specific car, and the Ed1 Coupe I currently have is still on the original tires (and hence tire sizes). I found 3 other pics I took the same day/time as the pic above, but they're from very similar angles/vantage points. Not sure that would help you much, but happy to share if you still want them.
Oh ok no problem then!
Old 06-18-2020, 08:59 AM

2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by BrianShaw23
I got my C63s with Cup 2s which I may go for again depending on how long they last. I'm at 6500 miles and still plenty of tread. If I can get 15k per set I'll def keep them. Just not sure if Cup 2 is similar to PS4S in that you want 305 rear if you go 265 in the front because of the sizes of the tires at those widths.
I am thinking about the Cup 2 for my next set as my car is not a daily and most driving is either to a C&C or spirited (mountain runs or 1/2mile racing) regardless I could use a bit more grip. How do you like the tires performance and interested to see how many miles you get out of a set.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:27 PM

Just FYI, I got 22K out of the OEM tires, and sold the car after another 28K on the PS4s pictured above, still with good tread. First tire change wasn't due to overall tread wear either; it was due to the inners being really worn down due to the aggressive camber MB runs on these cars.

Having said that, YMMV, literally, as tread wear is multifactorial. Suspension settings, mileage, and heat cycles affect it greatly. I got a lotta miles outta mine because my heat cycles were minimal. 98% of the time was highway driving for 50 miles each way to and from work (vs stop and go etc).
Old 06-18-2020, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by W205-S
I am thinking about the Cup 2 for my next set as my car is not a daily and most driving is either to a C&C or spirited (mountain runs or 1/2mile racing) regardless I could use a bit more grip. How do you like the tires performance and interested to see how many miles you get out of a set.
I really like the Cup 2s but of course when temperatures are hot. A lot of times I can floor it in 2nd gear and not lose traction at stock sizes. But in the cold and wet not nearly as grippy. I'm in LA so it's usually warm here. I drive similar to you, daily driving and spirited runs here and there. I can probably get at least 12k out of them maybe up to 15k I'll keep you guys posted. I drive a lot so should come up in the not too distant future.