Anyone opened the rear bumper vents on C63 (W/C205)? Picture

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2019, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Lightbulb Anyone opened the rear bumper vents on C63 (W/C205)? Picture

Has any one removed the black plastic honeycomb covers on their rear bar vents yet? I'm interested in doing this but from what I can tell:

If you remove the black plastic covers, you'll need to cut holes into your inner wheel liner for them to be functional.
Opening them up could cause water to enter the rear bar and possibly damage the radar/blind spot sensor from the inside

Someone here was talking about opening them up on their Edition 1 (in one of the old threads). Curious if anyone has done it yet or has any photos?

Originally Posted by FDNewbie
Agreed. Wondering if anyone's opened these up? I'm considering doing it on my ED1...

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 12-25-2019 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
amg C63s
I've thought the same as the covers look very fake. Rather than remove them leaving the open vent hole it may be a better solution to drill out the honeycomb holes in the covers when removed, and then reinstall the drilled covers. With the holes the covers will look more functional. I doubt Mercedes would have placed a cover there if actual venting would be of any benefit.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by mstraka
I've thought the same as the covers look very fake. Rather than remove them leaving the open vent hole it may be a better solution to drill out the honeycomb holes in the covers when removed, and then reinstall the drilled covers. With the holes the covers will look more functional. I doubt Mercedes would have placed a cover there if actual venting would be of any benefit.
Drilling out the honeycomb holes in the covers is a great idea. I am going to look into it this weekend.
I wonder if you would actually be able to see a bit of the rear tires through the vents (when behind the car). That would look tough
Old 12-26-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
amg C63s
Please post the result.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 289 Likes on 198 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by mstraka
Please post the result.
Me too. BTW, Mstraka, we still miss you on the Macan forum.
Old 12-27-2019, 01:55 AM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
I could see being able to work out a brake heat extraction hole in the inner wheel liner that connects to the made- functional outlet in the rear bumper.

I think the Coupe rear vents are wider/bigger than the Sedan's. So they may get some useful-sized opening by making that vent functional, even through drilling out joneycomb holes ... but the sedan vent unfortunately seems much thinner/smaller And thus more difficult to make useful/functional. Would love to be proven wrong though.

Old 12-27-2019, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
C63s Cabriolet, BMW M4, Civic
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
I wonder if you would actually be able to see a bit of the rear tires through the vents (when behind the car). That would look tough
The hole is not big enough. You need to cut a hole through the wheel liner, the hole is 2 feet away from the tire. You won’t see anything.