Sponsored by:

C63S to AMG GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 03:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
C63S to AMG GTS

Anyone take the plunge? I'm seriously thinking of selling my 2017 C63S coupe and buying a AMG GTS. The GTS prices have dropped dramatically since Jan 1st and are now in my price range. I would really like to hear anyone's experience.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:59 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Our C63's are truly nice cars but the GTS is just another animal. If you ever get to try one at AMG Academy, they are another tier up on the C63.

Did you buy your C63 new? Not sure how I'd feel going from new to used
Old 01-10-2020, 04:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
I have seriously considered this very thing. Ultimately, you have a to get a newer AMT GT to match all the tech in the 19/20 C63 and it's not worth it to me as I plan on using it as a DD.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
I've had the pleasure of driving the GTS and the GTR at the AMG Driving Academy. The GTR was a 2020 model with the updated tech that I have in my '19 C63S. They are definitely sweet rides and especially the GTR was great on the track, however, I would not trade my C63S for it. First off anything older than the 2020s I wouldn't even consider due to the outdated tech. I passed on the 2018 C63S partly because the cabin felt so outdated, that I wouldn't go back to a GT with the old tech if it was my primary car. I would consider one as a second/third car, though. Overall, though, the C63 is just a more usable package. It deserves the GT moniker much more than the GT. The C63 has rear seats and the trunk puts the GT trunk to shame. I do use my cars for grand touring, for example I did European Delivery and drove ~6500 miles across Europe in 2 months. Easily fit a large plus a medium size Samsonite suitcase in the trunk with room to spare. Car and Driver called the C63 overall the better coupe than the GT and I have to agree. The GT is a bit more one dimensional, more of a track or weekend car, whereas there isn't a day really when the C63 isn't a suitable car. Comes down to your lifestyle ultimately.

Last edited by superswiss; 01-10-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
I had an AMG GTR and currently have a 2018 C63S. The newer cars are face lifts with some newer tech - yes. It's not like it's severely out dated and 10 years old and a couple of generations ago. OP you should jump on a GT at the prices they are at right now. You'd love it. You'll survive without a digital dash and a couple of other things. Especially at the price you can get them at right now. If you have anything specific you want to know ask me. I clocked 11.5K miles on my GTR and have close to 30K clocked on the two C 63S's I've had.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:13 PM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
I am 6'4 215lbs and all legs and I do not fit in a GTS. At all! Way too cramped!

Plus isn't a C63S coupe just as quick or quicker than a GT and as quick as a GTS...have to go to the GTR to be quicker???

I LOVE my C63S Coupe
C63S to AMG GTS-cars-coffee_1.jpg

Last edited by W205-S; 01-10-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
I passed on the 2018 C63S partly because the cabin felt so outdated
Uhm, an updated instrument cluster, little wider center screen with new UI, and different buttons on steering wheel ...that what you call so outdated, mhm.
The following 4 users liked this post by tobeit:
Behind The Bibs (01-12-2020), Keon (01-16-2020), Orcbolg (01-16-2020), Sushimon519 (01-10-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by tobeit
Uhm, an updated instrument cluster, little wider center screen with new UI, and different buttons on steering wheel ...that what you call so outdated, mhm.
Well, you can diminish it, but it's a little more than that. It's a newer version of the OS with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, new online platform etc. Yes, the old UI and form factor of the center screen felt very outdated and no Apple CarPlay/AA unless you opted for the Smartphone package which precluded the Multimedia package, which than didn't allow for the Driver Assistance pkg etc., and yes analog cluster feels outdated to me as well. I've always found an analog speedometer to be a waste of space. I love the new Supersport view of the digital cluster that replaces the speedometer with a digital readout and puts rev counter front and center with space to display independent pieces of information left and right instead of just a single area in the center and I love the new AMG Drive Unit with the steering controls to change drive mode etc. directly from the steering wheel. So much more driver oriented. Certainly personal preference to some extent, but at this stage I wouldn't buy a car for daily use that doesn't support CarPlay and Android Auto.
The following users liked this post:
AV1 (01-14-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, you can diminish it, but it's a little more than that. It's a newer version of the OS with standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto support, new online platform etc. Yes, the old UI and form factor of the center screen felt very outdated and no Apple CarPlay/AA unless you opted for the Smartphone package which precluded the Multimedia package, which than didn't allow for the Driver Assistance pkg etc., and yes analog cluster feels outdated to me as well. I've always found an analog speedometer to be a waste of space. I love the new Supersport view of the digital cluster that replaces the speedometer with a digital readout and puts rev counter front and center with space to display independent pieces of information left and right instead of just a single area in the center and I love the new AMG Drive Unit with the steering controls to change drive mode etc. directly from the steering wheel. So much more driver oriented. Certainly personal preference to some extent, but at this stage I wouldn't buy a car for daily use that doesn't support CarPlay and Android Auto.
all good, I am not diminishing anything and actually agree that the new cluster and UI are really nice...just saying outdated interior would mean a lot more than instrument panels. I can tell you when the instruments are off an untrained eye would not be able to tell the difference but I understand why you like what you like. Btw, I add carplay to my '18 aftermarket, that is a necessary upgrade to me too. Well, we oldtimers get the burble and pop as consolation price for not having the nice cluster ;-) (heck, I would be interested in a w204 black series)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by tobeit
all good, I am not diminishing anything and actually agree that the new cluster and UI are really nice...just saying outdated interior would mean a lot more than instrument panels. I can tell you when the instruments are off an untrained eye would not be able to tell the difference but I understand why you like what you like. Btw, I add carplay to my '18 aftermarket, that is a necessary upgrade to me too. Well, we oldtimers get the burble and pop as consolation price for not having the nice cluster ;-) (heck, I would be interested in a w204 black series)
Fair enough. It was a poor choice of words on my end. What I really meant was that the tech felt very outdated.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
I bought my 2017 C63S used last year. I love the car - its amazing. Its a weekend car as I have a Honda as a daily driver. I have had 2013 C63, BMW Z4m, M6, M3, 996 NA and 996 Turbo. My C63S is the best so far! I have driven a new C class with the updated tech and its really nice but I'm a driver and that's more important to me lol. Also I'm a giant at 5'4 so getting in and out of a GTS definitely isn't a problem.

I am surprised at how much our cars are depreciating but the GTS is depreciating more and is now obtainable which was not the case 6 months ago! I paid $72k all in for my 2017 C63S with 6000 miles and every package including AMG seats, exhaust, HUD, drivers assist, midnight package and much much more. A GTS 6 months ago was $90k and I can now pick one up now with under 20,000 miles for $74k plus tax!!!

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? I'm always trying to keep ahead of the depreciation curve. If I wait a year what will my C63S be worth etc?
Old 01-10-2020, 07:32 PM

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts
MY17 C63s Sedan
I had also considered this. But after thinking long and hard, I decided against it. This is weighing in everything from the value of the car to the performance. I am not too sure you would gain too much by switching. They both use the same engine difference being one is dry sump. And I believe one is MCT and the other is DCT. In addition to the difference in chasis. Sure GTS is a bit ( not much ) lighter and stiffer chasis to handle itself on track but unless you go to the track often, you won't be able to use that to its potential on streets.

With that said, if a 2016 GTS was to go for under 60k (less than 25k miles), then that would be something to consider. That's just my take on it of course.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:51 PM
Xec

Received 117 Likes on 89 Posts
IG: @amg.svr
Originally Posted by heligarret
I bought my 2017 C63S used last year. I love the car - its amazing. Its a weekend car as I have a Honda as a daily driver. I have had 2013 C63, BMW Z4m, M6, M3, 996 NA and 996 Turbo. My C63S is the best so far! I have driven a new C class with the updated tech and its really nice but I'm a driver and that's more important to me lol. Also I'm a giant at 5'4 so getting in and out of a GTS definitely isn't a problem.

I am surprised at how much our cars are depreciating but the GTS is depreciating more and is now obtainable which was not the case 6 months ago! I paid $72k all in for my 2017 C63S with 6000 miles and every package including AMG seats, exhaust, HUD, drivers assist, midnight package and much much more. A GTS 6 months ago was $90k and I can now pick one up now with under 20,000 miles for $74k plus tax!!!

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? I'm always trying to keep ahead of the depreciation curve. If I wait a year what will my C63S be worth etc?
The C63S will continue to depreciate and fall towards the low $40’s (and even $30’s as this generation ends) whereas the GTS is much closer to the bottom of its depreciation curve. The demand for a used GTS will always be higher as it looks more exotic and is based on a more exclusive platform with less quantities produced.

Also the driving experience is not comparable. You have one based on a C-Class starting at $45K and an AMG-derived exclusive platform starting at over $100K. AMG Academy is honestly pretty slow around the track but the difference is so immediate and obvious.

I like my cars new and needed the space so I chose the C63S. If I was buying used the choice is easy. OP you need to go test one

Old 01-10-2020, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 291 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
My family and I went to Vegas two months ago. We scheduled it to where my son, my wife and I drove the same AMG GTR for five laps around Exotics Racing's track. It was for bragging rights for the year. It's a beast at 140 mph on a few straight pieces of the track. For the abuse these cars see day in and day out, the AMG GTR is there on the track lap after lap. So was the Audi R8, Nissan GTR. Yeah, I'd buy one. The only drawback is the huge, as in long, nose. Reminds me of the Jag XKE. Everyone I've seen always had the lower front scraped up. If you have good roads where you live, go for it.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I’m considering getting a GTR as a 3rd car, but not a replacement of my C63S. Also I wouldn’t trade in C63 for a GTS, go for GTC at least IMO
Old 01-11-2020, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
GT(S,C,R) are awesome cars and I definitely miss my GTR. As far as the long front bonnet. You get used to that real quick. They are great GT cars. I took mine on several road trips and it was very comfortable. It is practical and the storage is sufficient as well. In addition the GT cars are very rare as you rarely see one on the road. Anyone with a C63 who gets one will not be disappointed. I can assure you that. Top pic is on the 17 mile drive at Pebble Beach when I went to Laguna Seca last year for an AMG driving academy event. It was a fantastic and memorable trip in the GTR.

The following 3 users liked this post by benzbell:
allgoldmac (01-11-2020), Keon (01-16-2020), wawrecker (01-16-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 08:30 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,416 Likes on 2,855 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by W205-S
I am 6'4 215lbs and all legs and I do not fit in a GTS. At all! Way too cramped!

Plus isn't a C63S coupe just as quick or quicker than a GT and as quick as a GTS...have to go to the GTR to be quicker???

I LOVE my C63S Coupe
Attachment 423528
Never go up to a tall woman and tell her she's a giant, they don't like that
Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 PM

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts
C63 S Coupe
I have test driven a 2016 GTS and a 2016 C63s back to back and where the GTS is nimble, and looks stunning, the C63s just has more pull especially in 2nd gear. There is no doubt about it.

Regards
George Lisciandro
Old 01-15-2020, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 346 Likes on 207 Posts
2017 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by George_1992
I have test driven a 2016 GTS and a 2016 C63s back to back and where the GTS is nimble, and looks stunning, the C63s just has more pull especially in 2nd gear. There is no doubt about it.

Regards
George Lisciandro
idk how it would have more pull. must have had a bad example of a gts or something? the gts is like 600 lbs lighter with same power. maybe the diffs were different? not sure how all of them optioned in 2016. its possible the gearing ratios were different.

Just my 0.02, so take it or leave it or comment.

either way i have driven the tuned 43, c63s, gt, gts, and gtr on numerous occasions. track (circuit of the americas/ local tracks near me), canyon (angeles crest, a few other spots outside malibu), and michigan (****ty roads).

the gtr is a different world. its track oriented though, so if this is going to be a weekend cruiser around the town and never see a track, id probably not recommend the gtr althought it is stunning with all the added aero. or if you need/want the gtr (like i would one day) and like the firm ride, get some pilot sport 4s over the cup 2 tires for off track use. this car is a beast.

gts/c is an ultimate weekender/ semi daily car. maybe daily if you are a big baller for me with kids, it could never be a true daily as it only has 2 seats. its enough for a weekend get away with the wife though! it is 85% as fun as the gtr, with half the cost (used), I am ok buying CPO with low miles so for me, this is where i would ultimately land. Best bang for buck, they are extremely fast, ~3400-3500 lbs 500+ hp. and wide track. comparing them to a c63 is not really a good comparison. They are different animals. One is a luxury muscle car that you can put the gang in. the other is a track weapon and canyon carver that can be made to take a few days off to stroll around. The biggest difference i notice when driving these cars is the seating position on the gt is so much further back than the c63. you get used to it as someone said. but its weird at first. also you cant be too tall. I am 5' 9" and for comfortable driving, i almost had the seat all the way back. tall guys this may be a track car only.

c63 is a great car, but with the coupe weighing in at 4100 lbs, you can not compare this to the gt. the c63 works on the track just fine, and handles the weight quite well IMO, but step into a well optioned/maintained gts or gtr on the track and its is night and day. being a 911 fan myself, stepping into the c63 on the track you immediately see the weight. the gt cars are still heavier than all the 911s but not by much and the difference is less noticeable other than a heavy nose on cornering.

for my daily (being in Michigan), i landed in a c43 sedan. the AWD, is a must. and i feel better having less $$ depreciating away and taking winter salt, snow slush, pothole/bad road abuse being a cheaper car. i had mine tuned to get the power i ultimately wanted daily. 0-60 in 3.5 and 60-130 in about 9.8 seconds is plenty for daily and racking up miles to work and with the kids. its not going to beat down high power v8s, its not one man one engine, but its a competent car that is fun to drive. it does everything well but noting the best.

I had almost pulled the trigger on a c63s coupe a few months ago, but the prices seem to hold steady in the 58-68k range for low mileage CPO good examples. at that point, i noticed 16 gts were starting to come down into the mid 70s. for the difference in price, i opted to save a bit more and just get the car i always wanted

i think the biggest take away is what will you use the car for? that will help you decide. any serious driver knows weight is important and a sports car over 4000 lbs seems out of place. another thing to maybe hold for would be the new c63s coupe w206. If they can figure out the weight, and i hear 4matic+ is coming to the c63, that might be another viable option.

one thing i forgot to mention, the presence of the amg gt is second to none in the amg collection. even in the busy streets of LA where exotics roll around everywhere, this car get attention. between the exhaust notes and the batman villian like shape, the amg gt got way more attention than the 911 or c63 we had for the week when out there visiting.

this is my opinion based on the experiences ive had driving the cars. just rambling over my morning coffee

Last edited by Star4life; 01-15-2020 at 08:51 AM.
OrientBlue3 (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
c63 Coupe, GLC63
As a daily driver? nah. I've driven a Green GTR around the racetrack at the amg academy. It is a pure track weapon but not an everyday car. All around, c63s wins for me and i can squeeze more than 2 people if the occasion arises.
superswiss (01-15-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 605 Likes on 345 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Not enough of a performance gap to go from C63S to GTS. The GT-R is more of a leap, but those are still very expensive.
Makes no sense to me to jump from a RWD, FR car with almost the same motor to another one for better handling, and dual clutch trans. Not worth it to me.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Rubpau
As a daily driver? nah. I've driven a Green GTR around the racetrack at the amg academy. It is a pure track weapon but not an everyday car. All around, c63s wins for me and i can squeeze more than 2 people if the occasion arises.
Put 11.5k miles on my GTR in a year and a half. Drove it daily and took several road trips. It was awesome. No complaints.
The following 2 users liked this post by benzbell:
daybx (02-07-2020), thebug44 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,318 Likes on 2,055 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by benzbell
Put 11.5k miles on my GTR in a year and a half. Drove it daily and took several road trips. It was awesome. No complaints.
This.
GT models are easy DD's but have less practical space. Definitely a multi-car household vehicle.
Love the look and easily the best driving MB we ever had. We have a GTC roadster, so rear wheel steering, electronic LSD, dynamic engine mounts and bigger turbos but the big difference is that it's not a porker. Less weight, plus engine mounted behind the front axle, the DCT mounted on the rear axle makes these car great fun to drive.