C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C63s: What is that electronic pump sound when coming to a stop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2020 | 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
C63s: What is that electronic pump sound when coming to a stop?

No idea how to describe this but has anyone got a noise in the left side of the rear when the car comes to a stop that sounds like an electronic pump sound?

Not really noticeable but I sometimes notice it when coming to a stop.

Has anyone else heard this sort of robotic sound from the rear when coming to a stop?
Old 02-01-2020 | 05:11 PM

PFL C63s EC Stage II
Probably parking brake engaging, when you double tap the brake the car will show HOLD on the dash. I think it might be that.
The following users liked this post:
Jimmy_c63s (02-11-2020)
Old 02-02-2020 | 03:18 AM

2019 AMG C63S
Does this happen only the very first time during the day after you start your car, go at least 15-20mph and then come to a full stop? I think it is the ABS calibrating itself. You shouldn't see it on further stops at least until you leave your car parked for a long time (may be 12+ hours??).

I will hear this clicking sound every day at exactly the same Traffic light I need to come to a full stop before making a right turn (On Red).
Old 02-11-2020 | 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PaulC63s
Probably parking brake engaging, when you double tap the brake the car will show HOLD on the dash. I think it might be that.
I think this is it!

It happens every time I slow down at traffic lights or just before I stop. I listened carefully and confirm it's the same sound as when I manually release the electronic parking brake.

But it's strange because I hear this noise even when the car is still in motion (slowing down) and not stopped yet. Is the parking brake just pre-loading itself while the car is slowing down to allow the use of the HOLD function when the car has stopped?

Anyone else notice the parking brake noise too just before coming to a stop in their C63? It sounds like a robot arm. Sort of like a terminator when it moves (serious).

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 02-11-2020 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-11-2020 | 10:07 AM

2019 C43 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
I think this is it!

It happens every time I slow down at traffic lights or just before I stop. I listened carefully and confirm it's the same sound as when I manually release the electronic parking brake.

But it's strange because I hear this noise even when the car is still in motion (slowing down) and not stopped yet. Is the parking brake just pre-loading itself while the car is slowing down to allow the use of the HOLD function when the car has stopped?

Anyone else notice the parking brake noise too just before coming to a stop in their C63? It sounds like a robot arm. Sort of like a terminator when it moves (serious).

This post, with this GIF, will beat every other post on the forum today. By a mile. Congratulations mate, you've won today! 😂😂😂
Old 02-11-2020 | 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
I think this is it!

No, but I have a robot arm coming down noise 😀 after turning the car off.
Old 02-11-2020 | 12:51 PM

2014 CLA45; 2019 C63s
"Robot Arm Sound" describes the noise perfectly. I hear it when I hop out of my still-running (but parked) car to grab the mail at the end of my driveway. I think the car knows that it isn't moving any time soon with the driver out of the vehicle, and so it engages the parking brake. Maybe it even senses that it's on an incline? I haven't experimented to see if the car still does this when parked on a level surface.
Old 02-12-2020 | 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by batman719
This post, with this GIF, will beat every other post on the forum today. By a mile. Congratulations mate, you've won today! 😂😂😂
Originally Posted by tobeit
No, but I have a robot arm coming down noise 😀 after turning the car off.
Originally Posted by FearlessFarris
"Robot Arm Sound" describes the noise perfectly. I hear it when I hop out of my still-running (but parked) car to grab the mail at the end of my driveway. I think the car knows that it isn't moving any time soon with the driver out of the vehicle, and so it engages the parking brake. Maybe it even senses that it's on an incline? I haven't experimented to see if the car still does this when parked on a level surface.
Thanks for the comments fellas
@FearlessFarris I'm glad someone else has heard it too! For me, it has been like this ever since I got the car. Way more noticeable with the back seats folded down. But does yours do it when you're slowing down and about to stop?

Anyone one else have this pump/robotic noise when slowing down or before coming to a stop?

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 02-12-2020 at 04:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2020 | 11:13 AM

2019 AMG C63S
Anyone one else have this pump/robotic noise when slowing down or before coming to a stop?
Do you hear it each time while coming to a stop or just the very first time in the day you take the car out? For me, it's the latter and I think it's just the ABS calibrating. I don't hear it after that. See my earlier comment in the thread.
Old 02-12-2020 | 05:21 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
Great thread and entertaining...my neighbors have even commented ( I live in a Condo) of how when I turn the car off it makes all these noises...Robot noises is a perfect name for them...LOL
Old 02-12-2020 | 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Originally Posted by W205-S
Great thread and entertaining...my neighbors have even commented ( I live in a Condo) of how when I turn the car off it makes all these noises...Robot noises is a perfect name for them...LOL
Either your neighbors are way too close for comfort or your robot arm noise is extraordinary loud...;-)
Old 02-12-2020 | 05:48 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by tobeit
Either your neighbors are way too close for comfort or your robot arm noise is extraordinary loud...;-)
LOL...yeah they are close...sometimes they will stop and watch me back it into the garage...they love the exhaust sound.

But to your point within the garage the robot noises do sound pretty loud...LOL