Sponsored by:

BIG Power, Simple Mod, ModalWorks Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 02:41 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by tobeit
Great! Thanks, that gives me an idea what to expect. Did not expect that venting into an open cone intake sounds more like venting into air then recirculating into the OEM. Never stop learning.
On most other platforms and engines it would not be as loud, many other oem- turbocharged applcations dump the blow off air closer to the throttle body and further from the filters, so the sound is much more subdued or almost nonexistent when recirculating.
Old 07-29-2020, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
On most other platforms and engines it would not be as loud, many other oem- turbocharged applcations dump the blow off air closer to the throttle body and further from the filters, so the sound is much more subdued or almost nonexistent when recirculating.
Correct, and the OEM air filter box is designed to muffle the sound as well. Once you remove the box and add open element filters, the recirculated air venting will be a lot more pronounced since it's no longer enclosed.
The following users liked this post:
///Bruce (08-09-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 03:42 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 C63S
After speaking with Modal Works I pulled the trigger on their intake. Will post up some videos as I haven't seen too many online. Until next time...

Still surprised there isn't a before and after Dyno graph on a completely stock car vs just intakes.

Last edited by IvanC63S; 07-30-2020 at 05:55 AM.
TexasBenzBandit (08-29-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 03:58 PM

2017 AMG C63
I'm not so surprised about that actually. I would imagine the stock intakes can keep up with a stock car very well, and it is really mainly when you start increasing boost and requiring that they suck in larger volumes of air at a higher rate, that you would really look for improvements in the intakes. And realistically, most people are going to do a tune before they do intakes anyway, so tuned results are more relevant to most users would be my guess.
tobeit (08-03-2020)
Old 08-05-2020, 09:40 PM

2016 C63S
Got the intakes today and install took me about two hours (working very slowly). On a stock car expect an increase in sweet, sweet turbo noises. Not too loud or obnoxious; the stock pre-FL exhaust note drowns out the intake noise at WOT. Can't tell if it's faster (edit: nevermind, it's faster, lol... Nice upgrade)... Just sounds pissed off. Looking forward to doing DPs and a tune next.

Last edited by IvanC63S; 08-06-2020 at 09:46 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IvanC63S:
larrysing (03-18-2021), ModalWorks (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 01:28 AM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake
I definitely noticed a difference with it both low and top end . I'm running a DME tune and I honestly couldn't believe how much it woke the car up even over and above the tune
Old 08-06-2020, 07:11 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by C3504matic
I definitely noticed a difference with it both low and top end . I'm running a DME tune and I honestly couldn't believe how much it woke the car up even over and above the tune
Damn, i thought my car was finished until I read this.
Jvilla05 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 421 Likes on 304 Posts
AMG C63s
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
There is no finish line for us....
Old 08-06-2020, 10:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 374 Likes on 275 Posts
2005 E55
What filter did you guys go with? It asked for oil or dry
Old 08-06-2020, 10:20 AM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
Originally Posted by skratch77
Oiled for me
Old 08-06-2020, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c63 s
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
lol Story of my life since I purchased mine. Now to save up for some intakes.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 307 Posts
AMG C63s Sedan , AMG C43 , AMG G63 , GLK 250
Originally Posted by skratch77
Just incase your next question is : Which is better :

Dry an oiled filter both flow very well.
Oiled requires annual cleaning and theoretically flows more air than dry.
Dry can be cleaned on a bi-annual basis.

Overall little to no difference performance wise between oiled or dry
IvanC63S (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 W205 C63 S Sedan Edition 1 DME Stage 2
Think I've been waiting for an air intake system with this price range since three years ago...
Old 08-06-2020, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
Originally Posted by FLC63s
Just incase your next question is : Which is better :

Dry an oiled filter both flow very well.
Oiled requires annual cleaning and theoretically flows more air than dry.
Dry can be cleaned on a bi-annual basis.

Overall little to no difference performance wise between oiled or dry
My concern for oiled filters is the oil particles they will give off under high volume flow coupled with high heat.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:27 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
There is no finish line for us....
That's the sad truth, but I like to try and trick myself with the lie sometimes. It never works...
IvanC63S (08-07-2020)
Old 08-07-2020, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just placed my order for the HIgh Flow intake ....
Should have it monday/tuesday and will get it installed and Video back...

RennTech is getting me info on best route to upgrade my Turbos etc... then I think (assume) I will be done.. lol.
(or pure turbos) Just trying to do the least invasive route, as I dont need this car to be a "race car" , its my daily driver :-)

From what I researched and with the assistance of much talented folks on here..
I am currently at Stage 1 tune (renntech)
1) Stage 2 tune
2) Inter-cooler / cooling system
3) *Turbo's (upgrade fuel management only) no meth
With the Turbo's , I know I would not be using the full potential of the boost, etc , and its prob overkill to do them, although would rather run a set with less stress, then stressing the heck out of the stock ones.

Comments, suggestions welcome as always :-)

Old 08-07-2020, 09:46 AM

2016 C63S

RennTech is getting me info on best route to upgrade my Turbos etc... then I think (assume) I will be done.. lol.
(or pure turbos) Just trying to do the least invasive route, as I dont need this car to be a "race car" , its my daily driver :-)

1) Stage 2 tune
With the Turbo's , I know I would not be using the full potential of the boost, etc , and its prob overkill to do them, although would rather run a set with less stress, then stressing the heck out of the stock ones.

Meth is an easy way to add power, but a bit over kill on a daily driver. I know from experience. Not worth the little bit of added headache on a luxury DD.

For performance mods, I'm keeping my car to a tune with intake. Maybe a DP in the future. Rest will be CF bits and bobs on the outside of the car.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s

1) Stage 2 tune

I am in a similar spot currently, except I use a different tuner (Velos, stage 2). I am not racing either and not sure its worth while to update turbo's, but heck none of the mods we do are really needed...I get conflicting messages that/when you need to upgrade the tranny to hold up (some say got to do it others say will hold up to 1000NM easy). I think I am looking into upgrading cooling system first (I already get easily 215F just cruising on a hot day in FL). I did get the ZAC intakes/blanket (not installed yet) ...just in case I want bigger turbo's one day.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am in a similar spot currently, except I use a different tuner (Velos, stage 2). I am not racing either and not sure its worth while to update turbo's, but heck none of the mods we do are really needed...I get conflicting messages that/when you need to upgrade the tranny to hold up (some say got to do it others say will hold up to 1000NM easy). I think I am looking into upgrading cooling system first (I already get easily 215F just cruising on a hot day in FL). I did get the ZAC intakes/blanket (not installed yet) ...just in case I want bigger turbo's one day.
Yea the #1 response I always got when even doing Stage 1 , more so Stage 2, was cooling.. the most important item is to keep the thing cool :-) (for longevity) as for the turbos, that is the last item on my list, as it mainly just reduces the stress on the stock turbos since Stage 1 and 2 mainly increase boost, and then fuel management, (from what I am told)
Old 08-07-2020, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG C63s
Yea the #1 response I always got when even doing Stage 1 , more so Stage 2, was cooling.. the most important item is to keep the thing cool :-) (for longevity) as for the turbos, that is the last item on my list, as it mainly just reduces the stress on the stock turbos since Stage 1 and 2 mainly increase boost, and then fuel management, (from what I am told)
yeah...FL heat does not help either. I pass on the fuel management...dont plan to cross that power line (somebody mentioned around 800whp fuel is the bottleneck). I forgot I did decide to add the RPA from ZAC.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yeah...FL heat does not help either. I pass on the fuel management...dont plan to cross that power line (somebody mentioned around 800whp fuel is the bottleneck). I forgot I did decide to add the RPA from ZAC.
I was told that the fuel managment was like the 2nd most important so the car doesnt lean out, even on a Stage 1, but def on stage 2 and above..

I would be doing it to avoid that problem, and in the case of RennTech, its included with what I would be getting from them.
(I think its bigger lines, some programming, etc) didnt ask for the itemized list yet.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:40 PM

2017 AMG C63
Motor works, I installed the intake and blue oiled filters a couple days ago.

One thing I noticed is that on part throttle and low mid rpm so, I hear some kind of fluttering/pulsing noise that was not there with the factory intake. It is not a 100% consistent meaning it does not do it all the time . When I am full throttle at higher PMI do not hear it, and I usually do not hear it at light throttle either. However it does not seem like an expected noise so curious if you have any ideas.

One theory that popped in my head was that it may be related to the diverter valve is fluctuating. Or possibly is something rubbing or moving slightly with the engine vibrations. I have inspected it several times so far and cannot find anything loose or that would appear to be creating the fluttering/pulsing noise. It seems to be in rhythm with the cylinder firing, So I did consider that it may be just harmonics from the in take pulses? I am grasping at straws so if you have had any feedback or thoughts please share.

Last edited by LessIsMore; 08-07-2020 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:50 PM

2016 C63S
Stock tune. Only mod is the MW intakes. 2nd and 3rd gear - just let race mode do its thing.

Old 08-09-2020, 02:12 PM
SPONSOR

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts
W205 C63
Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Motor works, I installed the intake and blue oiled filters a couple days ago.

One thing I noticed is that on part throttle and low mid rpm so, I hear some kind of fluttering/pulsing noise that was not there with the factory intake. It is not a 100% consistent meaning it does not do it all the time . When I am full throttle at higher PMI do not hear it, and I usually do not hear it at light throttle either. However it does not seem like an expected noise so curious if you have any ideas.

One theory that popped in my head was that it may be related to the diverter valve is fluctuating. Or possibly is something rubbing or moving slightly with the engine vibrations. I have inspected it several times so far and cannot find anything loose or that would appear to be creating the fluttering/pulsing noise. It seems to be in rhythm with the cylinder firing, So I did consider that it may be just harmonics from the in take pulses? I am grasping at straws so if you have had any feedback or thoughts please share.
Without hearing it myself, my first thought is that it is likely the re-circulation valves doing their job. They are working at times we as drivers don't expect them to, in order to modulate and regulate boost pressure. Our intake system (as you're already aware) open up the auditory notes of the induction sound which also means we hear more of the re-circulation valves. It makes sense at low throttle or at WOT you don't notice this since they are likely fully closed; but during medium throttle pulls they are working their magic (they seem to be very active on our cars and are constantly working based on ECU commands).
OrientBlue3 (08-09-2020)
Old 08-10-2020, 08:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C63 AMG COUPE
Are there any gains on a non tuned OEM spec. car ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Originally Posted by ModalWorks
ModalWorks has finalized the design of the intake system for the W205/C205 C63. This is an easy to install bolt on mod that adds over 57whp and 45wlb-ft to stage2 models. Images shown below are prototype units and production units are currently underway! Production units will be made from carbon fiber tubes with high quality powder coated heat shields. Pre-ordering is live and available for the next two weeks. Order now to lock in the $800 price with only $400 due now: https://modal.works/shop/highflowintake

We have done extensive analysis and testing on this intake system. CFD models of the air intake were performed to optimize flow paths. Our results show that with properly designed heat shields, the concerns of a “hot air intake” are mitigated. Our design uses 3 layers of protection to reduce warm air that would normally enter the intake with an unsealed heat shield. These heat shields are constructed from stainless steel, finished with powder coated, then covered with a heat barrier made up of woven silica with an aluminized finish. The shields then have a gasket added that seals against the hood that reduces hot air transfer from the engine bay to the intake. Side by side comparisons of stock vs ModalWorks intake show negligible differences of air intake temperatures pre-turbo, which result in big performance gains due to massive improvements in airflow.

Dyno Results:
Back to back dyno runs were performed swapping the stock intake (with aftermarket high flow filters) and the ModalWorks intake systems. The ModalWorks intake showed peak gains of 57whp and 45wtrq higher than OEM. Comparing the absolute max power generates for each, the ModalWorks design gained 25whp at 5500RPM.

1/4 mile and 60-130mph:
Dyno numbers are one thing but putting that power to the road is where it really matters. 60-130mph and 1/4 mile tests were conducted back to back. In order to reduce the number of variables, all runs were done in S+ mode, sport traction, with all shifting left to the vehicle. All tests were done on the same stretch of road, same day with the same weather. Comparing the best runs for each intake, we obtained a 0.42s quicker 60-130mph, reduced 1/4 mile times by 0.14s, and improved trap speeds by 1.5mph, all from just an intake.

With driver selected shifts points on a properly prepped track we expect even better times. More testing needs to be done but this is a snapshot in time of the current progress.
* Note: Average results are the top two fastest times averaged.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIG Power, Simple Mod, ModalWorks Intake