BIG Power, Simple Mod, ModalWorks Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 AM
SPONSOR

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts
W205 C63
Originally Posted by Arek
Are these now in stock or just finishing up pre-orders?
What would shipping be to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Still working on pre-orders. You can place an order now and it will ship out in late May. Shipping to Edmonton is about $70.

Originally Posted by buganim
Hi bro, I tried to email you on the webpage but I didn’t get any reply.

I just want to know if these intakes fit an AMG GTS or not ?

Regards
Saif
These will not fit the AMG GTS. We have something in the works for those though.
Old 04-26-2020, 02:46 AM

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
17 C63S Coupe
Installed mine today. Installation was super easy. Took about 30-45 mins. The sound is amazing and power doesn't drop off quite as dramatically up top as it used to. Very happy with the results. Hearing the spool and bpv is wild with the V8 exhaust. I strongly recommend having a deep 10mm socket handy to make things quicker with the long ball stud removal. Otherwise it's a breeze. At some point I'll replace the blue filters with red ones to match the color scheme of my car.

The following users liked this post:
Erik Apple (12-17-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 04:09 PM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s amg w213............2017 C63s Coupe W205
Had the opportunity to install my ModalWorks CAI and prototype "manta ray" turbo blanket. Will follow up with a more info once ive had the chance to put some more miles on them. Couple of notes for you all...

1. Customer service has been second to none, Ive received replies at all hours of the day from Christian and team, including live support last night after 8pm. Service like this is impossible to find in this day and age, and product aside, that means the world to me.
2. Intake install was very easy and straight forward, especially if youve ever removed your air boxes before.
3. Build quality on intakes seems to be solid, I did not find any glaring imperfections. Oiled filters were of good quality.
4. My only complaints, if there was any, is the heat shielding for wire harness. It was coming apart a bit before I installed.
5. I have an AWE switchpath track exhaust - which if you have heard, you know how loud it is - and I can clearly hear the CAI while driving over the exhaust - sounds awesome.
6. Quality on turbo blanket is excellent and will review further once i have more to share...obviously its just a prototype

ModalWorks (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
2017 Porsche 911 C4
Originally Posted by sinister.c63s
Had the opportunity to install my ModalWorks CAI and prototype "manta ray" turbo blanket. Will follow up with a more info once ive had the chance to put some more miles on them. Couple of notes for you all...

1. Customer service has been second to none, Ive received replies at all hours of the day from Christian and team, including live support last night after 8pm. Service like this is impossible to find in this day and age, and product aside, that means the world to me.
2. Intake install was very easy and straight forward, especially if youve ever removed your air boxes before.
3. Build quality on intakes seems to be solid, I did not find any glaring imperfections. Oiled filters were of good quality.
4. My only complaints, if there was any, is the heat shielding for wire harness. It was coming apart a bit before I installed.
5. I have an AWE switchpath track exhaust - which if you have heard, you know how loud it is - and I can clearly hear the CAI while driving over the exhaust - sounds awesome.
6. Quality on turbo blanket is excellent and will review further once i have more to share...obviously its just a prototype
Turbo blanket looks great and is much needed, I’ll definitely be picking one up once it’s finalized and orders open up.

I upgraded from the prototype 3D printed to the CF tubes and man are they nice. I’m fitting them this weekend, or sooner if I can find the time! The 3D printed prototypes definitely picked up top end power, you feel much less of a drop off in the upper RPMs. Excited to install these permanently!

The following 2 users liked this post by AlexZTuned:
Erik Apple (12-17-2020), ModalWorks (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLC 63 AMG Coupe
Asking again, is this considered CARB compliant with EO exemption? Thanks ~
Old 05-19-2020, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 341 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Hey guys I placed an order end of April, are the next batch of intakes still scheduled to ship out end of May?
Old 05-19-2020, 09:35 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Originally Posted by K507
Asking again, is this considered CARB compliant with EO exemption? Thanks ~
No, these are not CARB compliant. They are very easy install and remove for daily driving and track events.

Originally Posted by raudiace4
Hey guys I placed an order end of April, are the next batch of intakes still scheduled to ship out end of May?
Yes we have your order lined up, but currently waiting on filters to arrive. There is a worldwide shortage for the model we have selected but we are tracking for a new shipment to arrive 6/3.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 341 Posts
19 E63s, 23 M3 compX, B9 SQ5
Originally Posted by ModalWorks
No, these are not CARB compliant. They are very easy install and remove for daily driving and track events.

Yes we have your order lined up, but currently waiting on filters to arrive. There is a worldwide shortage for the model we have selected but we are tracking for a new shipment to arrive 6/3.
Sweet, thanks for the update. Can't wait
Old 05-19-2020, 11:01 PM

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
17 C63S coupe
Intakes look great, like the way they boxed them in.

Doesnt the turbo blanket the way its designed just cause more engine heatsoak? If there is nothing under the turbos(between the turbo housings and engine) the only place the heat can transfer to is the manifold/block. I would avoid adding more heat to the top of the V.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 PM

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe, 2021 Bmw X5M Competition
I have them on order also. Can’t wait!!!!
Old 05-20-2020, 12:36 PM

Received 90 Likes on 82 Posts
2017 AMG C63
Originally Posted by deftronix
Intakes look great, like the way they boxed them in.

Doesnt the turbo blanket the way its designed just cause more engine heatsoak? If there is nothing under the turbos(between the turbo housings and engine) the only place the heat can transfer to is the manifold/block. I would avoid adding more heat to the top of the V.
Actually keeping heat in the engine and turbos is better.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by LessIsMore
Actually keeping heat in the engine and turbos is better.
Correct - hot air expands and helps the turbos spool faster, Additionally the blanket has done a super job keeping hot air away from my new intakes. So with the csf heat exchanger and this combo I have noticed a significant difference in top end performance. After my "spirited" drive home yesterday (day 1 with new intakes and turbo blanket), I popped the hood and was able to touch the heat shielding with my bare hand. I'd say its working like a charm so far. Will wait till the warmer weather to pass final judgement, but so far they have been as advertised.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:52 PM

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts
2007 E350

can’t seem to find those turbo heat blankets on modalworks site. Do you have a link?
Old 05-20-2020, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by koifysh
can’t seem to find those turbo heat blankets on modalworks site. Do you have a link?
This is just a prototype - Christian would probably have a better idea of an actual release date. My understanding is that they have sourced materials from a couple different vendors and are in process of testing both. I'll let him know you are asking...Im sure he will come and comment.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:37 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
This is just a prototype - Christian would probably have a better idea of an actual release date. My understanding is that they have sourced materials from a couple different vendors and are in process of testing both. I'll let him know you are asking...Im sure he will come and comment.
Sinister is correct, we have a chosen design which is slightly tweaked form the one he is running. We are in production and hope to launch within a month. I'll notify the group when we are live and start to accept pre-orders.

Like sinister also mentioned, the turbo blanket serves two purposes: 1. To retain heat within the turbine housing to improve turbine efficiency and 2. To block radiant heat into the engine bay. We designed the blanket in such a way to not block the OEM vents integrated into the silver heat shield cover. These scoops actually siphon heat towards the bottom of the vehicle during motion, and we did not want the blanket to obstruct that flow. The heat siphoning effect is more prevalent on the AMG GT due to enhanced under hood geometry, but based on our thermal testing it is also evident on our vehicles. We have done some limited thermal testing and are seeing under hood temp drops of 20°-40°F, these are preliminary and more testing will be conducted.

Old 05-20-2020, 03:01 PM

17 C63S coupe
Correct - hot air expands and helps the turbos spool faster, Additionally the blanket has done a super job keeping hot air away from my new intakes. So with the csf heat exchanger and this combo I have noticed a significant difference in top end performance. After my "spirited" drive home yesterday (day 1 with new intakes and turbo blanket), I popped the hood and was able to touch the heat shielding with my bare hand. I'd say its working like a charm so far. Will wait till the warmer weather to pass final judgement, but so far they have been as advertised.
Having blankets that completely surround the turbos would be best, I would buy as soon as they became available. Yes, keeping heat in the turbo exhaust side is better but not for the block. That trapped heat has to go somewhere and no barrier between means its going straight to the block and that's not where you want it to go unless you live up in Alaska. I bring this up because there are other hot V setups (X5M) that have had problems with warped heads/manifolds due to heat generated in that area so just keep an eye on it since these really havent been through many miles on our platform yet.

Last edited by deftronix; 05-20-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 PM

Having blankets that completely surround the turbos would be best, I would buy as soon as they became available. Yes, keeping heat in the turbo exhaust side is better but not for the block. That trapped heat has to go somewhere and no barrier between means its going straight to the block and that's not where you want it to go unless you live up in Alaska. I bring this up because there are other hot V setups (X5M) that have had problems with warped heads/manifolds due to heat generated in that area so just keep an eye on it since these really havent been through many miles on our platform yet.
I know what you're getting at, normally that could lead to warping or faster issues developing with head gaskets. But with the factory air boxes out of the way and replaced with the MW units, there is quite a bit more air flowing in that space. I would guess its a wash, or cooler now with both than it was before at the head. Just speculation at the moment, but I understand your concerns. Just remember, most turbo blankets for individual turbos are open at the bottom as well. I def had the same initial concerns, but this has been pretty effective so far.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:23 PM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2015 C63S ,DME Tune, KW Has ,Kmac Bushings,BC Forged wheels,Gt Rotors,Porterfield R4S,Modal Intake

Easy install , quality is good ,looks great .. a couple of very minor issues that were dealt with very very quickly . As mentioned the wrap for the wiring needs better stitching mine came apart slightly,... I used some zap straps to make sure it won't come loose . Now waiting to get the Turbo Blanket to be released

Last edited by C3504matic; 05-20-2020 at 03:26 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by C3504matic:
Erik Apple (12-17-2020), larrysing (03-18-2021), ModalWorks (05-20-2020), ShaneN. (06-08-2020), sinister.c63s (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 03:37 PM
SPONSOR

W205 C63
Valid concerns but there is significant airgap between exhaust manifold and the turbo blanket. The exhaust manifold itself already has a heat shield directly on it, so the turbo blanket isn't going to substantially raise any engine block temperatures since most is blocked by the manifold shield. Between the airgap, OEM vents, and the exhaust manifold, the turbo blanket really just blocks radiant heat from the turbos/downpipes into the engine bay.

Last edited by ModalWorks; 07-01-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:16 PM

17 C63S coupe
Originally Posted by ModalWorks
Valid concerns but there is significant airgap between exhaust manifold and the turbo blanket. The exhaust manifold itself already has a heat shield directly on it, so the turbo blanket isn't going to substantially raise any engine block temperatures since most is blocked but the manifold shield. Between the airgap, OEM vents, and the exhaust manifold, the turbo blanket really just blocks radiant heat from the turbos/downpipes into the engine bay.
Thanks for addressing. When we are talking egt's of 1.1-1.5K F running though the turbines the amount of gap / air flow we're talking about (on top of being a low pressure zone) between different metal surfaces is minuscule when it comes to heat transfer over a period of time. Would really like to have an option with 2 complete blankets to get that insulator fully around both turbine housings. Would be much more confident of the benefits knowing I have a truly effective barrier between the turbos and engine resulting in a fraction of the heat soak. Definitely see the other benefits regarding air intake temps on open intake, keeping heat away from plastic components etc. but with a bit more effort the product would be that much more effective! Please consider.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
hi, new old member here on the forum
finally i have mounted modalworks air intake and taken some time with my stage 2 c63.
the engine gets a whole new life after 5000rpm.
the 2 lower times are with original air boxes and the 2 upper ones are with modalworks.
the times are taken from still/0 so can probably improve them by starting on lower gear and rolling / first picture is rolling

Last edited by Swe63; 05-22-2020 at 07:45 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Swe63:
larrysing (03-18-2021), ModalWorks (05-22-2020), sinister.c63s (05-22-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 12:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63S T-Model
you drive high 7s with stage2 ??
Old 05-22-2020, 01:18 PM

C63
Originally Posted by PayKoHan
you drive high 7s with stage2 ??

high 7s from 0-200 but mid 7 from rolling. I've only tried a couple of times, still trying to come up with the best way for best time.
now i roll in 2 gear in 82kmh and then wot and get mid 7

Last edited by Swe63; 05-22-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AMG C63S T-Model
Originally Posted by Swe63
high 7s from 0-200 but mid 7 from rolling. I've only tried a couple of times, still trying to come up with the best way for best time.
now i roll in 2 gear in 82kmh and then wot and get mid 7
fuel?
i had with stage1 low 7s with aral102 Octan.
try 3.gear, should be better.
Old 05-22-2020, 01:56 PM

C63
Originally Posted by PayKoHan
fuel?
i had with stage1 low 7s with aral102 Octan.
try 3.gear, should be better.

okay, 98 oct same as USA 93oct.
Thanks for the tip, Will test it next time 👍

Last edited by Swe63; 05-22-2020 at 02:54 PM.
PayKoHan (05-22-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BIG Power, Simple Mod, ModalWorks Intake