Sponsored by:

Suspension still stiff in SPORT+ but on COMFORT settings? C63s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 12:55 PM

Received 206 Likes on 133 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Question Suspension still stiff in SPORT+ but on COMFORT settings? C63s

Has anybody ever noticed when switching into actual Sport+ but manually pressing the suspension button after so AMG ride control is on Comfort, that the suspension still feels a bit stiff?

But if you're in Individual and you have all settings on Sport+ but suspension in Comfort, it's soft like Comfort mode?

Or am I losing it
The following users liked this post:
Albundy (04-13-2020)
Old 04-13-2020, 02:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63S
IMO it’s just stiff or stiffer
Old 04-13-2020, 04:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
Perhaps let us know what year your car is. At least for the FL (2019+) I can't say that's the case, but then again the suspension and the drive modes have been completely overhauled along with the introduction of AMG DYNAMCIS, which now controls a lot of the car's dynamics. One thing that has never been clear to me is which part of the drive mode controls the dynamic engine mounts and AMG doesn't really document that, but this could be a factor. The engine mounts do have an impact on comfort. It's possible that with S+ and suspension in Comfort, the engine mounts might remain stiff, whereas in I* with suspension in Comfort they relax for some reason.

I used to have my Individual mode set with everything the same as S+, but suspension in Comfort, but after a while this felt a bit too wobbly and vague around bends on the highway and I now have the suspension set to Sport, which provides similar comfort to Comfort, but the car is noticeably more buttoned down and more direct to steer. AMG really has done an excellent job with the revised suspension in the FL.

Last edited by superswiss; 04-14-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Albundy (04-13-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 521 Likes on 353 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by George_1992
Has anybody ever noticed when switching into actual Sport+ but manually pressing the suspension button after so AMG ride control is on Comfort, that the suspension still feels a bit stiff?

But if you're in Individual and you have all settings on Sport+ but suspension in Comfort, it's soft like Comfort mode?

Or am I losing it
I'm not sure bro, never changed the suspension settings using the button when I changed to full SPORT+ or RACE mode
Old 04-15-2020, 08:51 AM

C63 S Coupe

Or am I losing it
Originally Posted by Amme
Originally Posted by superswiss
Perhaps let us know what year your car is. At least for the FL (2019+) I can't say that's the case, but then again the suspension and the drive modes have been completely overhauled along with the introduction of AMG DYNAMCIS, which now controls a lot of the car's dynamics. One thing that has never been clear to me is which part of the drive mode controls the dynamic engine mounts and AMG doesn't really document that, but this could be a factor. The engine mounts do have an impact on comfort. It's possible that with S+ and suspension in Comfort, the engine mounts might remain stiff, whereas in I* with suspension in Comfort they relax for some reason.

I used to have my Individual mode set with everything the same as S+, but suspension in Comfort, but after a while this felt a bit too wobbly and vague around bends on the highway and I now have the suspension set to Sport, which provides similar comfort to Comfort, but the car is noticeably more buttoned down and more direct to steer. AMG really has done an excellent job with the revised suspension in the FL.
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
I'm not sure bro, never changed the suspension settings using the button when I changed to full SPORT+ or RACE mode
Thank you boys for your input. Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. So basically I means:

Suspension still feels stiffer in full SPORT+ or RACE mode but using "COMFORT" for suspension settings (by manually pressing the console button to cycle and put the suspension into "Comfort" that way).
Whereas if setting it up in INDIVIDUAL and chosing eg. Engine: SPORT+, Suspension COMFORT, ESP ON etc. the ride is definitely soft just like in full COMFORT mode. It's almost like in full SPORT+ or RACE mode still stiffens the suspension a bit, regardless of turning the suspension back to "Comfort" using the console button!

I wonder why?

Last edited by George_1992; 04-15-2020 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Here's a pic of what I mean
Old 04-15-2020, 09:00 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
No, I haven't noticed that, and I was in the situation you describe just yesterday for a 1/2 hour: in Sport+, but dialed the suspension back to Comfort due to some really rough/potholed roads I was on. Definitely softer than when just in straight Sport+.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 AM

C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by nobbyv
No, I haven't noticed that, and I was in the situation you describe just yesterday for a 1/2 hour: in Sport+, but dialed the suspension back to Comfort due to some really rough/potholed roads I was on. Definitely softer than when just in straight Sport+.
Owww! So you pressed the suspension button on the console, right? Do you think it still felt a bit stiffer than full "Comfort" mode selected from Dynamic Select screen?

This is doin my head in. My car is an early 2017 c63s Coupe.....
Old 04-15-2020, 11:01 AM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Owww! So you pressed the suspension button on the console, right? Do you think it still felt a bit stiffer than full "Comfort" mode selected from Dynamic Select screen?

This is doin my head in. My car is an early 2017 c63s Coupe.....
Exactly. I pressed the Suspension button once, so I went from two LED indicator lights on (Sport+ suspension), to zero LED lights on (Comfort suspension). And no, I don't think it felt stiffer than if I used the Dynamic Select screen or button to but each component in Comfort mode. Felt the same as Comfort mode to me.
George_1992 (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 10:13 AM

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts
2018 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Amme
LOL...That is how I feel but not complaining because I bought a performance car. When I used to DD the car I had my "Individual" setting with the tranny in Sport but suspension in comfort for highway driving and it still felt pretty stiff to me.

To the OP...I have never tried that but if I think about it...I will try the next time I drive the car and let you know.

However, I have gotten into the habit that once the AMG is warmed up (temp colors go white on AMG screen) I usually flip the dynamics to at least Sport and put the suspension into Sport or turn it off completely. It makes the car more fun to drive IMHO and reduces the brake dust on the rear wheels due to less help from the car...LOL

Last edited by W205-S; 04-16-2020 at 01:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by W205-S:
George_1992 (04-16-2020), Jimmy_c63s (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:06 PM

C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by nobbyv
Exactly. I pressed the Suspension button once, so I went from two LED indicator lights on (Sport+ suspension), to zero LED lights on (Comfort suspension). And no, I don't think it felt stiffer than if I used the Dynamic Select screen or button to but each component in Comfort mode. Felt the same as Comfort mode to me.
Thank you sir.
Originally Posted by W205-S
LOL...That is how I feel but not complaining because I bought a performance car. When I used to DD the car I had my "Individual" setting with the tranny in Sport but suspension in comfort for highway driving and it still felt pretty stiff to me.

To the OP...I have never tried that but if I think about it...I will try the next time I drive the car and let you know.

However, I have gotten into the habit that once the AMG is warmed up (temp colors go white on AMG screen) I usually flip the dynamics to at least Sport and put the suspension into Sport or turn it off completely. It makes the car more fun to drive IMHO and reduces the brake dust on the rear wheels due to less help from the car...LOL
You're a champion. Could you try it tomorrow on your coupe?

I don't know if it's just my car or just S versions but this is one of those cars that make u paranoid on what issue is next.....
Old 04-16-2020, 01:40 PM

2018 C63S Coupe
You're a champion. Could you try it tomorrow on your coupe?
I don't know if it's just my car or just S versions but this is one of those cars that make u paranoid on what issue is next.....
Actually taking it out this coming Saturday and I will see how mine acts.

So to make sure I test it correctly you want me to put it into Sport + get a feel for the suspension in that setting and then click on the suspension button to go to comfort (all suspension lights off) and see if it still feels as stiff as it did in Sport +...correct?
Jimmy_c63s (04-19-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 01:44 PM

C63 S Coupe
Actually taking it out this coming Saturday and I will see how mine acts.

So to make sure I test it correctly you want me to put it into Sport + get a feel for the suspension in that setting and then click on the suspension button to go to comfort (all suspension lights off) and see if it still feels as stiff as it did in Sport +...correct?
Yes please. I know it wont be as stiff as SPORT+ but it is definitely firmer than COMFORT.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 521 Likes on 353 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Yes please. I know it wont be as stiff as SPORT+ but it is definitely firmer than COMFORT.
I tried it yesterday.
  • Switched to Sport+ on Dynamic Select switch
  • Pressed Suspension button on console until the dash display said "AMG ride control in Comfort" and both red lights were unlit on the suspension button.
  • Drove it
Seems stiff to me. A bit more than full Comfort mode, yes. I don't know if it's placebo or because the Sport+ is still making the dynamic engine mounts a tad stiffer and because of the harsher shifts still but yeah my coupe felt a bit stiffer in this setting compared to full Comfort mode. Now I'm curious too

@W205-S brother did you get a chance to try it on your coupe?

Old 04-19-2020, 09:09 PM

2018 C63S Coupe

@W205-S brother did you get a chance to try it on your coupe?
Yes brother I tried this also... actually a couple of times and I agree with your assessment 100%.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:20 PM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
Thank you boys for your input. Maybe I should have been a bit clearer. So basically I means:

Suspension still feels stiffer in full SPORT+ or RACE mode but using "COMFORT" for suspension settings (by manually pressing the console button to cycle and put the suspension into "Comfort" that way).
Whereas if setting it up in INDIVIDUAL and chosing eg. Engine: SPORT+, Suspension COMFORT, ESP ON etc. the ride is definitely soft just like in full COMFORT mode. It's almost like in full SPORT+ or RACE mode still stiffens the suspension a bit, regardless of turning the suspension back to "Comfort" using the console button!

I wonder why?

I believe this was discussed going back maybe three years ago. Anyway, when I do as shown above. My 2015 1st Edition DOES go into Comfort suspension more while the engine/throttle/transmission is still in Sport+ mode.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:03 AM

C63 S Coupe
I tried it yesterday.
Seems stiff to me. A bit more than full Comfort mode, yes. I don't know if it's placebo or because the Sport+ is still making the dynamic engine mounts a tad stiffer and because of the harsher shifts still but yeah my coupe felt a bit stiffer in this setting compared to full Comfort mode.
YES! That's how it feels for me too. Thanks aye.

Yes brother I tried this also... actually a couple of times and I agree with your assessment 100%.
Thanks man......... phewww

Originally Posted by theclutch
I believe this was discussed going back maybe three years ago. Anyway, when I do as shown above. My 2015 1st Edition DOES go into Comfort suspension more while the engine/throttle/transmission is still in Sport+ mode.
Huh? I'm confused with your post and it sounds opposite to what we're experiencing. Are you saying that your suspension feels more comfortable in Sport+ with the AMG Dynamic Suspension in COMFORT?
Old 04-21-2020, 08:27 AM

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
C8, FF, C63S, 911 C4S, GTI, E350, Boxster S, 355, Esprit S4, Vantage, S5, Z4, M3, Miata, A4, 325is
YES! That's how it feels for me too. Thanks aye.

Thanks man......... phewww

Huh? I'm confused with your post and it sounds opposite to what we're experiencing. Are you saying that your suspension feels more comfortable in Sport+ with the AMG Dynamic Suspension in COMFORT?
Flip the toggle switch to get Sport+. Notice that both lights on the suspension button are on.
Press the suspension button twice so that no more lights are on.
My suspension is now noticeably softer in Comfort mode. All other settings remain in Sport+.
This is how it works and how I would expect it to work in my 2015. Maybe they changed something is later years? Like adding code/software bugs to quiet the exhaust down?
Old 04-21-2020, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I believe there was a few guys who experienced the same issue. Suspension was always in Sport+ regardless of the mode, turned out to be a defective sensor or something. Take the car to a dealership and have them run a few tests